Corrupted UFOnaut

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

grandmaster z0b
Champion

Corrupted UFOnaut

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Hi all, I did this quick write up in the Air Power thread and decided I may as well go ahead and make it into it's own thread. The idea was an already existing monster that could threaten airplanes and other high-altitude vehicles. The only thing that I could think of was the UFOnaut from BtS but as they are fairly benevolent beings I decided to corrupt them and give them a more Rifty feel.

This is more or less a MDC conversion of the BtS 1st edition creature with some changes. It's still a work in progress and now that I'm writing it I'm thinking of expanding both the creature and the scenario around its recent appearance and the true story of how they came to be. Please leave comments and suggestions.

Corrupted UFOnaut
Horror Factor 12
Alignment: Anarchist to Diabolic
Size 12 to 60ft (3.6 to 18m)
Weight: unknown
MDC: 2d4x100
The Eight Attributes: Not applicable; IQ is equal to about 7 or 8, very intuitive.
Natural Abilities: Hover and fly at Mach 5 (3350 mph), capable of almost instantaneous stops and starts and impossible sharp turns. Impervious to cold, heat, poisons and most physical attacks. Energy, explosives, magic and psychic powers have full effect. Does not need air to breathe and can withstand ocean depths of 5 miles (8km). Bio-Regenerate 4d6 per minute.
Psychic Powers: Telepathy, Empathy, Hypnotic Suggestion, Ectoplasm, Electrokinesis and Telekinesis are all 5 times more powerful than human abilities at 15th level of experience. Also possesses Empthatic Transmission, Mind Block, See Aura and Clairvoyance roughly equal to a 15th level master psychic.
Attacks per Melee: Six via psychic abilities or by energy expulsion.
Energy Expulsion: These beings can fire energy blasts at enemies. They can change the form of energy to any of the following: lightning bolts, plasma balls or particle beams. Damage: 1d6x10+10 MD. They can also form ball lightning that can hover, change direction and chase targets, these can be formed singularly or in volleys of 2-5 at once; treat as smart missiles. Damage: 1d4x10+10. Range: Blasts 4000ft (12019m), Ball Lightning- 10 miles. ISP cost: 20 for blasts and 25 each for the ball lightning.
Bonuses: +8 to initiative, +10 to dodge, +6 to save vs. psychic attacks, +1 to save vs. magic, +5 to strike with energy blasts.
ISP: 1d4 x 1000 PPE 1d4 x 10
The UFOnaut in it's "natural" state is a strange, giant energy being that ranges from the size of a car to bigger than a house. Appearing as a glowing ball or disk of energy. They are gentle, playful beings who buzz airplanes and play tag with fighter jets.
In the world of Rifts most of these beings seem to have been corrupted by an unknown, evil power to become a horrific monster. Perhaps it is a side effect of the Ley Lines and Rifts themselves but more likely it is the fault of an Demon Lord or Alien Intelligence. Considering their own formidable psychic powers, whatever has corrupted them must be an entity of tremendous influence. Or perhaps they are a different but related entity? Nobody knows.
They still appear as a glowing ball of energy but rather than the usual bright white with glowing dots of colored lights, they seem to prefer colors such as a sickly green, blood red or even occasionally pitch black.
They reside around ley lines and nexus points at high altitudes and sometimes at the bottom of the ocean (suggesting a possible connection of The Lord of the Deep). Particularly prevalent around the triangle anomalies.
They seem to be drawn towards aircraft and other high-flying ships where they immediately attack! Very large ships will sometimes attract more than one but no more than five have been seen at once.

These have recently appeared around the Bermuda Triangle and are causing quite a problem for the various powers trying to use high altitude air paths on Rifts earth, including the CS, NGR and even Atlantis. Due to their incredible speed they can be found anywhere on the planet.
Last edited by grandmaster z0b on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Corrupted UFOnaut

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Good idea. :ok:
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

This dredges up fond memories of the old 70's-80's vintage 'UFO' comics which presented sensationalized stories of UFOs. One of the issues had a neat theme 'What if UFOs are alive?' with the byline that they could be bizarre upper atmosphere lifeforms, like high speed flying jellyfish. Very neat issue with some cool-looking organic flying saucers.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Killer Cyborg wrote:Good idea. :ok:

Cheers :-D
taalismn wrote:This dredges up fond memories of the old 70's-80's vintage 'UFO' comics which presented sensationalized stories of UFOs. One of the issues had a neat theme 'What if UFOs are alive?' with the byline that they could be bizarre upper atmosphere lifeforms, like high speed flying jellyfish. Very neat issue with some cool-looking organic flying saucers.

Yeah I've always liked the UFOnaut for that reason. Never actually played BtS but there are some really cool ideas there.

I think I might expand on the Splugorth angle.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

So was this creature present in 1st ed BtS but left out of 2nd ed BtS or something like that? Anyone know what page it's on?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Yeah it's a variation on the creature from 1st edition BtS; page 174.

Return to “Rifts®”