How to make a better GB?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: How to make a better GB?

Unread post by eliakon »

Nightmask wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Nightmask wrote:The Legion didn't reverse-engineer I-beam technology, they've a factory capable of producing any of the technology that they require and some tech-oriented aliens that maintain the factory and their gear. The weapons btw DID have self-destructs in them along with the members of the Legion while they were slaves, it took the Men-Rall removing said self-destructs that the Legion could earn its freedom, and they haven't been active all that long on Rifts Earth for anyone to reasonably have a chance to get away with acquiring their tech to try and reverse-engineer it. So no it's not a case of 'no one's bothered to figure it out' it's a case of 'no one's had access to it to try'.

Seriously, they aren't the CS where people hunt them for sport to gank their gear they're the elite of the elite who aggressively work to keep their tech to themselves and don't go letting anyone sneak off with it.

The Men-Rall reverse engineered that tech to make that factory.....And the self destructs slave circuits, not anti-tamper systems.
And I didn't say that Rifts people have had access to them. (although they have been on rifts earth for what a century?) But they have been in business doing this war thing for a long time. They sort of advertise their services all over the multiverse, and then travel all over and fight people....if that's not 'had a chance to get access' then I don't know what IS! They can try to keep track of their gear, but unless your telling me that they have NEVER taken ANY causualties, EVER, then yes their gear has been at risk. And lets be clear, this isn't 'the elite of the elite' this is a really, good mercenary army. Its huge and overwhelmingly powerful...buy Rifts Earth standards, but there are several canon mercenary forces in the books that are even bigger and more powerful...and that's not even counting the national militaries!
So yah. Put I-Beams up there with Tri-Beams, Particle Waves, Sonic weapons, Microwave Weapons, Impact Beams, Heat Beams, Disruptors, and all the other specialized gear that isn't knocked off. Its not knocked off because its specialized. Most people are pretty content with the standard systems. If there was a sudden interest in I-Beams, or Tri-Beams, or what ever then, assuming its not something explicitly impossible to clone, like phase tech, assume that it will be knocked off (there is even mention of plasma cartridges being knocked off...)
I think the BIGGEST advantage for the I-Beam secret is that its NOT all that effective....so no one realizes that they HAVE a 'super weapon' So no one is LOOKING to steal the secret of the tech...since its not apparent that its out there. If some one slips up though....bye bye legion.

Uh no, the Men-Rall didn't reverse-engineer any of that technology nor did they build that factory, the factory was part of the Legion to ensure production of all the equipment they required. It was also made quite clear how paranoid the Legion's masters were about their technology getting in anyone's hands and how it was rigged to explode on command, so however many losses they had while serving their former masters it didn't matter as they simply remote-destroyed it along with any captured troops. So nobody has access to their technology outside the Legion and their former masters, while you may have it that way in your games that's clearly not the canon history for the technology.

And yes the Legion is the elite of the elite, though they do require better fleshing out than the little blurb we currently have on them. They qualify as one of the most powerful factions on Rifts Earth, easily rivaling Atlantis and Triax.

In any case with regards to building a better Glitter Boy, their technology wouldn't be available and given some of the other tech around you could create an improved version much cheaper with what's available from common sources like Phase World and without requiring exotic, effectively impossible to acquire technology like the Legion has.

I will admit on re-reading that the factory does appear to have been in the Andes already. But the Man-Rall also EXPLICITLY reverse engineered the tech, and understand it. The 'explode on command' is vague enough that it could have been anti-capture as well as a slave circuit, or not, we cant tell. No one has YET analyzed the technology, to our knowledge, but that doesn't mean its not possible. Just that no one has done it yet.
And a force of 300,000 troops, while impressive on Rifts Earth (it puts them in the top fifty military forces on earth) isn't much in a megaverse.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Well at least one issue with that is that Naruni doesn't have I-beam technology, only the Megaversal Legion does as well as their former masters and they simply don't let anyone have access to it (just like the Vellux don't let anyone have access to their energy weapons that can harm anything even things normally invulnerable to energy attacks).

that is no issue. If you show the Naruni the I-beam tech and they decide its worth it. The number of repobots and other military forces they can send against the legion will if not over power the legion will whittle them down. It all depends on if the naruni find it worth it. The weapons don't self destruct like the shemarian weapons and people still get shemarrian weapons. The only thing with i-beam is they'll try to chase down the thieves. If they, the legion, decide they're not going to call it a lost cause they'll end up annihilated.

Sorry just cuz the spoof says they don't let anyone get the tech doesn't mean it's impossible, especially since they didn't do anything within the weapon to ensure it. Promethians and Shemmarians should be far less likely likely to be in other hands than the legion and Vellux's tech.

Yes that actually is an issue, you have to get the tech to show it to them and given the Megaversal Legion can deal with Mechanoids you aren't going to be just carrying off any of their tech or bringing enough forces to bare against them to actually cause them to let you carry the tech off.

No it isn't an issue. Ever heard of holo recorders? Record their effect, or is that affects, and take it to a naruni rep. If the naruni find it worth it they'll put resources towards it. As far as handling mechanoids... How many earthbound mechanoids was that? Most of the mechanoid stuff was already damaged. The Naruni, IF they deemed the tech worth it could bring a fleet of atmospheric battleships if they wanted to. Would it attract aploogs... Maybe, would Splynncryth go against a cousins company for tech that he is just now receiving Intel on... Maybe. So just offer NE I tell for a discount. Let NE do the work and wait till they come out with their new product line.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Mack wrote:I wouldn't bother with a hand-to-hand weapon for a GlitterBoy. Carrying a big sword or lance looks cool, but I don't think it really adds that much combat capability. Instead I'd add a strong energy weapon (pulse laser, particle beam, etc) to each forearm. That gives the pilot an option for ranged combat if he doesn't want to use the boomgun for some reason and they can be easily fired in melee combat.

The Rimouski Weapon Package gives some nice options (FQ, p83) but needs a much more powerful laser.

not a regular sword but a magic or phase sword would.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

wyrmraker wrote:One thing that never made sense to me was the proliferation of Telemechanics effects when people bring up self-destruct features on technology. Telemechanics shows the individual that a self-destruct mechanism exists. Telemechanic Mental Operation shuts down that self-destruct, as well as can bypass the bioscan permissions built into a piece of tech.

Seriously, a Psi-Tek can easily bring down a lot of those defenses. I could see NE employing quite a few Psi-Teks on Tech Raiding Missions. Vallax gear? No problem. Shemarrian? Sure. Technologies related to the Megaversal Legion's old masters? Sure.

This. The only saving grace is that telemechanics doesn't tell you anything about how it was manufactured so if a particular required material or component is produced via some process unknown to you, you still can't replicate that device.

--flatline
Last edited by flatline on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Well at least one issue with that is that Naruni doesn't have I-beam technology, only the Megaversal Legion does as well as their former masters and they simply don't let anyone have access to it (just like the Vellux don't let anyone have access to their energy weapons that can harm anything even things normally invulnerable to energy attacks).

that is no issue. If you show the Naruni the I-beam tech and they decide its worth it. The number of repobots and other military forces they can send against the legion will if not over power the legion will whittle them down. It all depends on if the naruni find it worth it. The weapons don't self destruct like the shemarian weapons and people still get shemarrian weapons. The only thing with i-beam is they'll try to chase down the thieves. If they, the legion, decide they're not going to call it a lost cause they'll end up annihilated.

Sorry just cuz the spoof says they don't let anyone get the tech doesn't mean it's impossible, especially since they didn't do anything within the weapon to ensure it. Promethians and Shemmarians should be far less likely likely to be in other hands than the legion and Vellux's tech.

Yes that actually is an issue, you have to get the tech to show it to them and given the Megaversal Legion can deal with Mechanoids you aren't going to be just carrying off any of their tech or bringing enough forces to bare against them to actually cause them to let you carry the tech off.

No it isn't an issue. Ever heard of holo recorders? Record their effect, or is that affects, and take it to a naruni rep. If the naruni find it worth it they'll put resources towards it. As far as handling mechanoids... How many earthbound mechanoids was that? Most of the mechanoid stuff was already damaged. The Naruni, IF they deemed the tech worth it could bring a fleet of atmospheric battleships if they wanted to. Would it attract aploogs... Maybe, would Splynncryth go against a cousins company for tech that he is just now receiving Intel on... Maybe. So just offer NE I tell for a discount. Let NE do the work and wait till they come out with their new product line.

Apparently either you haven't read the material on the Megaversal Legion or need to reread it, they didn't deal with the Mechanoids that showed up on Rifts Earth they held off a Mechanoid FLEET for around 19 hrs that was trying to depopulate an entire planet so the population could be evacuated. So if they can hold off the Mechanoids like that Naruni is NOT going to be a big deal to them.

I also have no idea why you think a recorder, holographic or otherwise would somehow inspire Naruni to just up and go 'Oh that's nice we can copy that from a recording' and *poof* do so. They can't even copy the Avenger power armor and it was made by a former employee of theirs (or at least not without it being so hideously expensive the knock-off simply isn't worth it). They're Naruni Enterprises not Motie Manufacturing. Naruni hasn't got I-Beam technology and isn't going to figure it out just because someone says 'hey look here's this tech and it works by affecting Inertia!', just as they don't have a variety of other technologies because it's not that easy to reverse-engineer some things especially when you've no idea of the principles involved in their construction.

Whoever produces Glitter Boys for sale in Phase World either got lucky or the principles of Glitter Boy technology particularly the Chrome armor were close enough to things already known for them to figure out how to copy it and they just haven't felt like adding in local technology so that people think it's originating on Rifts Earth rather than someone local having the tech available to them.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Nightmask
Palladin

flatline wrote:
wyrmraker wrote:One thing that never made sense to me was the proliferation of Telemechanics effects when people bring up self-destruct features on technology. Telemechanics shows the individual that a self-destruct mechanism exists. Telemechanic Mental Operation shuts down that self-destruct, as well as can bypass the bioscan permissions built into a piece of tech.

Seriously, a Psi-Tek can easily bring down a lot of those defenses. I could see NE employing quite a few Psi-Teks on Tech Raiding Missions. Vallax gear? No problem. Shemarrian? Sure. Technologies related to the Megaversal Legion's old masters? Sure.

This. The only saving grace is that telemechanics doesn't tell you anything about how it was manufactured so if a particular required material or component is produces via some process unknown to you, you still can't replicate that device.

--flatline

That at least is a better explanation for why people aren't copying the stuff than simply going 'well they just make REAL sure no one can get ahold of it!' Something in the manufacture requires a process or understanding of an underlying principle of physics or chemistry that can't be readily deduced from studying the end product making it effectively impossible to duplicate. An example would be Phase technology, no one can duplicate it because it's not existing in normal physical space and requires someone like a Promethean to build or repair, to others they lack the natural abilities and mental features to comprehend it.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

Nightmask wrote:
flatline wrote:

This. The only saving grace is that telemechanics doesn't tell you anything about how it was manufactured so if a particular required material or component is produces via some process unknown to you, you still can't replicate that device.

--flatline

That at least is a better explanation for why people aren't copying the stuff than simply going 'well they just make REAL sure no one can get ahold of it!' Something in the manufacture requires a process or understanding of an underlying principle of physics or chemistry that can't be readily deduced from studying the end product making it effectively impossible to duplicate. An example would be Phase technology, no one can duplicate it because it's not existing in normal physical space and requires someone like a Promethean to build or repair, to others they lack the natural abilities and mental features to comprehend it.

I am not disagreeing with you on the reverse-engineering portion of this. But my point still remains for the various Telemechanics powers.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Nightmask wrote:Apparently either you haven't read the material on the Megaversal Legion or need to reread it, they didn't deal with the Mechanoids that showed up on Rifts Earth they held off a Mechanoid FLEET for around 19 hrs that was trying to depopulate an entire planet so the population could be evacuated. So if they can hold off the Mechanoids like that Naruni is NOT going to be a big deal to them.

And as everyone else has been saying that is flatly impossible. Either the fleet was a tiny one of the smaller ships, OR the ML had help, or its General Holms Plot Magic. But there is simply no way, that 300,000 people are going to hold of a couple hundred billion mechanoids. Its just pure 'hey these guys are so cool they have to take on the ultimate bad guy in the universe...and win'

Nightmask wrote:I also have no idea why you think a recorder, holographic or otherwise would somehow inspire Naruni to just up and go 'Oh that's nice we can copy that from a recording' and *poof* do so.

It wouldn't it would make them go "that's worth copying", or more likely "ha now there is a sample of the tech that's not being defended by the Dakair time to move in"
Nightmask wrote:They can't even copy the Avenger power armor and it was made by a former employee of theirs (or at least not without it being so hideously expensive the knock-off simply isn't worth it). They're Naruni Enterprises not Motie Manufacturing. Naruni hasn't got I-Beam technology and isn't going to figure it out just because someone says 'hey look here's this tech and it works by affecting Inertia!', just as they don't have a variety of other technologies because it's not that easy to reverse-engineer some things especially when you've no idea of the principles involved in their construction.

Since the Man-Rall are explicitly said to understand how I-Beams work, it can be reverse engineered yes?

Nightmask wrote:Whoever produces Glitter Boys for sale in Phase World either got lucky or the principles of Glitter Boy technology particularly the Chrome armor were close enough to things already known for them to figure out how to copy it and they just haven't felt like adding in local technology so that people think it's originating on Rifts Earth rather than someone local having the tech available to them.
Or someone from one of the, what? five? powers on earth that still make Glitter Boys sold them the technique?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nightmask
Palladin

eliakon wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Apparently either you haven't read the material on the Megaversal Legion or need to reread it, they didn't deal with the Mechanoids that showed up on Rifts Earth they held off a Mechanoid FLEET for around 19 hrs that was trying to depopulate an entire planet so the population could be evacuated. So if they can hold off the Mechanoids like that Naruni is NOT going to be a big deal to them.

And as everyone else has been saying that is flatly impossible. Either the fleet was a tiny one of the smaller ships, OR the ML had help, or its General Holms Plot Magic. But there is simply no way, that 300,000 people are going to hold of a couple hundred billion mechanoids. Its just pure 'hey these guys are so cool they have to take on the ultimate bad guy in the universe...and win'

The ML isn't listed as having any help, and are listed at being massively out-numbered as to why their victory was so incredibly impressive, and you really can't make that argument. Given what we see in the book for the ML it's clearly not listing all the tech they have or at least had available as what's given wouldn't allow for properly confronting the Mechanoids in space as well as on the ground so they most likely simply don't have the more powerful weapons available as part of the package of things their factory can make and the larger stuff was supplied by the Dakir as needed and they didn't think it was needed to be available at their Rifts Earth base.

eliakon wrote:
Nightmask wrote:I also have no idea why you think a recorder, holographic or otherwise would somehow inspire Naruni to just up and go 'Oh that's nice we can copy that from a recording' and *poof* do so.

It wouldn't it would make them go "that's worth copying", or more likely "ha now there is a sample of the tech that's not being defended by the Dakair time to move in"

*laughs* Right, because the people who ARE defending it are somehow such push-overs, particularly since THEY'RE the ones who safeguarded it in the past so it's definitely not 'oh such easy pickings now that the Dakir are gone!'

eliakon wrote:
Nightmask wrote:They can't even copy the Avenger power armor and it was made by a former employee of theirs (or at least not without it being so hideously expensive the knock-off simply isn't worth it). They're Naruni Enterprises not Motie Manufacturing. Naruni hasn't got I-Beam technology and isn't going to figure it out just because someone says 'hey look here's this tech and it works by affecting Inertia!', just as they don't have a variety of other technologies because it's not that easy to reverse-engineer some things especially when you've no idea of the principles involved in their construction.

Since the Man-Rall are explicitly said to understand how I-Beams work, it can be reverse engineered yes?

The Men-Rall aren't said to understand how I-beams work, they can't even overcome the speed safeguards for the I-beam flight packs the ML has. What they have is a natural ability that lets them scan a piece of technology, permanently learn that design, and use their mecha-kinesis to restore it to its original state if damaged. They're explicitly noted as NOT having the imagination and inventiveness of say a human Operator.

eliakon wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Whoever produces Glitter Boys for sale in Phase World either got lucky or the principles of Glitter Boy technology particularly the Chrome armor were close enough to things already known for them to figure out how to copy it and they just haven't felt like adding in local technology so that people think it's originating on Rifts Earth rather than someone local having the tech available to them.

Or someone from one of the, what? five? powers on earth that still make Glitter Boys sold them the technique?

Nothing gives any support for such a suggestion, none of those in possession of the technology would go selling it to aliens. The technology is considered too valuable which is why currently on Rifts Earth only human nations have the knowledge and know how to produce them. The only reason Quebec shared with anyone was they were at such a threat from the CS that they needed the resources that Triax could provide in order to increase their army before the inevitable war and Triax was also a human nation with similar goals they could support. Much more plausible that from Phase World standards Glitter Boy technology isn't so hard to reverse-engineer.

In any case this is fairly off-topic so let's move back to that shall we? Without perhaps the more unrealistic stuff, after all might as well just have it that they're installing Dominator nova weapons because 'well they're so powerful of course someone's reverse-engineered them by now'.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

flatline wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Has anything further been published about the Megaversal Legion since SA2? Because based on what's in SA2, the ML really aren't all that impressive. Their numbers are too small to accomplish what has been attributed to them and their tech isn't enough better than what's commonly available to make up the difference. Any of the 3G powers (including the Naruni) could turn them into a smear on the ground by sheer numbers if they decided it was worth it.

--flatline

So flatline let me see if I get the gist of what your saying. ML vs. 3G = ML flatline?
flatline
Knight

Zer0 Kay wrote:
flatline wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Has anything further been published about the Megaversal Legion since SA2? Because based on what's in SA2, the ML really aren't all that impressive. Their numbers are too small to accomplish what has been attributed to them and their tech isn't enough better than what's commonly available to make up the difference. Any of the 3G powers (including the Naruni) could turn them into a smear on the ground by sheer numbers if they decided it was worth it.

--flatline

So flatline let me see if I get the gist of what your saying. ML vs. 3G = ML flatline?

I'm not sure I understand your notation so I can't confirm, but what I was trying to say is that the stats given for the ML aren't good enough to support the description of their abilities in the prose. It would be like reading about "the smartest NPC ever" and then turning the page and seeing "IQ: 17" in the stats block. 17 is good, but not good enough to match the description.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

eliakon wrote:

It wasn't 300,000 vs a couple hundred billion, the ML were outnumbered 100:1. We don't know how many ML members were there, it could have been 300 guys vs 30,000 or it could have been 10 million vs a billion.
Surviving for 19 hours against 100:1 odds is pretty impressive but it is far from impossible. Our own history is riddled with battles much like it.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Considering that Sunjai (WB2: Atlantis) have managed to keep their identity hidden for so long from other Psychic powers (like Object Read), Rifts Rune Magic can't be "rediscovered" via Psychic powers, and IIRC Cyclops Lighting weapons to are exempt. So yes I can see Telemechanics family of powers having limitations, otherwise a variety of technology should be more common just by recovering examples of it.
Crow Splat
Explorer

Unread post by Crow Splat »

rat_bastard wrote:I think what a GB needs is autonomous spotter robots that search out targets for the operator and paint them with a targeting hookup.

Naruni have that one too. Take out the system from the OMAV in Mercenaries and shrink it. Mayne make it only capable of handling the spy drones and possibly fewer drones than the OMAV and there you go.

Of all the Phase World powers that could make their own GB, I think Naruni has the most plausible reasoning. They would be wildly popular on Earth which would further proliferate their tech and increase market share. This fits in perfectly with their current strategy of effectively flooding North America with Naruni tech.

As was said in Second Wave, profits on Rifts Earth are not a primary concern. The goal is to become so widespread that hostile factions will have to accept their presence as a fact of life so that Earth can be used as an inter-dimensional crossroad to reach much more significant markets.
flatline
Knight

Crow Splat wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:I think what a GB needs is autonomous spotter robots that search out targets for the operator and paint them with a targeting hookup.

Naruni have that one too. Take out the system from the OMAV in Mercenaries and shrink it. Mayne make it only capable of handling the spy drones and possibly fewer drones than the OMAV and there you go.

Of all the Phase World powers that could make their own GB, I think Naruni has the most plausible reasoning. They would be wildly popular on Earth which would further proliferate their tech and increase market share. This fits in perfectly with their current strategy of effectively flooding North America with Naruni tech.

As was said in Second Wave, profits on Rifts Earth are not a primary concern. The goal is to become so widespread that hostile factions will have to accept their presence as a fact of life so that Earth can be used as an inter-dimensional crossroad to reach much more significant markets.

The mechanics don't support the idea of dimensional travel being easier from Rifts Earth than other origins. This has never made sense to me why they keep pushing that idea.

--flatline

guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

flatline wrote:
Crow Splat wrote:

The mechanics don't support the idea of dimensional travel being easier from Rifts Earth than other origins. This has never made sense to me why they keep pushing that idea.

--flatline

rifts earth is a good "dimensional crossroads" to go other places because it has natural portals (rifts) opening all the time, plus with someone like Naruni who already has some dimensional transport I figure that the abundance of magic makes it easier, and in addition I think that they figure they would be able to "harness" a "natural" gate and make it do what they want, like the st Louis arch, which might be a mixed blessing but its not their primary concern.
Crow Splat
Explorer

Unread post by Crow Splat »

IIRC it was written somehow along the lines of Earth being able to create stable Rifts with more places than just about any other place in the megaverse.

That combined with the fact that Earth is not currently controlled by any single Inter-dimensional power and all the major players in the 3 Galaxies having a "gentlemen's agreement" to not take over the planet make it a very lucrative path to a number of places for trade.

A good comparison would be to imagine that all commerce on earth had to travel through established routes and the owners of the goods had to pay taxes to every nation that they passed through. Then along comes this shipping company that says "we can take your goods anywhere in the world as fast, if not faster, than before and we can do it without being taxed by anyone." I have a feeling that that shipping company would become VERY popular rather fast.

ETA: I do agree Flatline. I can find no reason beyond fluff why dimensional travel at Earth is any different than any other high ppe location.
Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

Tor wrote:How does this Kittani Plasma Sword stack up against the ridiculously high-powered vibro-sword that the NGR added on to their custom GB?

Haha! I am JUST finishing up re-reading Triax from years and years back, and among the many ludicrous numbers it throws out there, that one made me blink. Even later when the book talks about what vibro weapons do what damage on a Power Armour/Robot it doesn't give an explanation for that. I'm pretty sure I've always chalked it up to an editing mistake, of which there are many in the weapons descriptions for the robots and power armours (nowhere close to Japan though...), but since Palladium never actually released FAQ's or Erratas or corrected anything in later printings it will likely just go down in history as the best-est vibro weapon ever.
wyrmraker
Hero

ShadowLogan wrote:

Considering that Sunjai (WB2: Atlantis) have managed to keep their identity hidden for so long from other Psychic powers (like Object Read), Rifts Rune Magic can't be "rediscovered" via Psychic powers, and IIRC Cyclops Lighting weapons to are exempt. So yes I can see Telemechanics family of powers having limitations, otherwise a variety of technology should be more common just by recovering examples of it.

I am going to chalk most of that analogy up to "Because we said so" on the part of the writers, at least for the technology. Or "It's this way because we didn't think of doing it like that".
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

flatline wrote:
Crow Splat wrote:As was said in Second Wave, profits on Rifts Earth are not a primary concern. The goal is to become so widespread that hostile factions will have to accept their presence as a fact of life so that Earth can be used as an inter-dimensional crossroad to reach much more significant markets.

--flatline

I guess that depends on how you play things.

Say you have a mage in Phase World, and he wants to go to the Palladium dimension, but he's never been there.
Do you let him personally open up a portal directly to that dimension anyway?
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
wyrmraker
Hero

Eashamahel wrote:
Tor wrote:How does this Kittani Plasma Sword stack up against the ridiculously high-powered vibro-sword that the NGR added on to their custom GB?

Haha! I am JUST finishing up re-reading Triax from years and years back, and among the many ludicrous numbers it throws out there, that one made me blink. Even later when the book talks about what vibro weapons do what damage on a Power Armour/Robot it doesn't give an explanation for that. I'm pretty sure I've always chalked it up to an editing mistake, of which there are many in the weapons descriptions for the robots and power armours (nowhere close to Japan though...), but since Palladium never actually released FAQ's or Erratas or corrected anything in later printings it will likely just go down in history as the best-est vibro weapon ever.

Actually, the Triax Glitter Boy was indeed corrected in a later volume. Triax & the NGR has it's vibro-sword doing 5d6 MD, whereas Free Quebec has it doing 3d6 MD.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

I'd say that one of the best ways to enhance a Glitter Boy would be to use alchemist enchantments from PFRPG.

(Picking stuff via memory, since my books aren't close by)

Armor:
Invisible*
Regeneration
Impervious To Fire/Heat
Buoyant

Boom Gun
Invisible*
Indestructible
Thunder Hammer

*Yes, Invisibility doesn't affect the wearer in this case, only the armor itself and the weapon itself.
Think about it.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Eashamahel
Hero

wyrmraker wrote:Actually, the Triax Glitter Boy was indeed corrected in a later volume. Triax & the NGR has it's vibro-sword doing 5d6 MD, whereas Free Quebec has it doing 3d6 MD.

Is that really corrected though, or is Quebec just not able to replicate the process to make the Super-German-Vibro-Zwiehander because they don't employ psychics with Telemachanics? ;)
wyrmraker
Hero

I believe that the Triax Glitter Boy is described in Quebec as an import, part of the trade agreement.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Still, it's possible they sent over slightly sub-par versions. Odds are that the Quebec guys would be primarily testing the boom gun and might not be 'ware of the epic Vibro-Sword.

*wonders if Fencing is more popular in Quebec or Germany for those who opt to use Splicers-fencing with their Glitter-sword*
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
wyrmraker
Hero

Tor wrote:Still, it's possible they sent over slightly sub-par versions. Odds are that the Quebec guys would be primarily testing the boom gun and might not be 'ware of the epic Vibro-Sword.

*wonders if Fencing is more popular in Quebec or Germany for those who opt to use Splicers-fencing with their Glitter-sword*

Free Quebec, page 84: "Triax Glitter Boy Note: Reprinted from Rifts® World Book Five: Triax & the NGR™, pages 45-48, with additional text and data specific to Free Quebec."

There's the updated material.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Tor wrote:Still, it's possible they sent over slightly sub-par versions. Odds are that the Quebec guys would be primarily testing the boom gun and might not be 'ware of the epic Vibro-Sword.

For sure, Tor. It's well-known that FQ is full of noobs. all they could do is make weaker glitter boys, after all.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Eashamahel
Hero

wyrmraker wrote:Free Quebec, page 84: "Triax Glitter Boy Note: Reprinted from Rifts® World Book Five: Triax & the NGR™, pages 45-48, with additional text and data specific to Free Quebec."

Does the Triax GB as presented in Free Quebec still fire at Mach 1.5?
GBAnnihilator
Wanderer

Unread post by GBAnnihilator »

Eashamahel wrote:
wyrmraker wrote:Free Quebec, page 84: "Triax Glitter Boy Note: Reprinted from Rifts® World Book Five: Triax & the NGR™, pages 45-48, with additional text and data specific to Free Quebec."

Does the Triax GB as presented in Free Quebec still fire at Mach 1.5?

The original GB fires at mach 5 (so says RIFTS Ultimate).
“He's not a killer. He just wins... Thoroughly”--Graff
"You tried to kill me! You couldn't even kill my boredom!"--Zoro
"Don't Believe in the Me who Believes in You! Don't Believe in the You who Believes Me! BELIEVE IN THE YOU WHO BELIVES IN YOURSELF!!!" -Kamina
"Time to Toss the Dice!" -Matrim (Mat) Cauthon
GBAnnihilator
Wanderer

Killer Cyborg wrote:I'd say that one of the best ways to enhance a Glitter Boy would be to use alchemist enchantments from PFRPG.

Armor:
Invisible*
Regeneration
Impervious To Fire/Heat
Buoyant

Boom Gun
Invisible*
Indestructible
Thunder Hammer

*Yes, Invisibility doesn't affect the wearer in this case, only the armor itself and the weapon itself.
Think about it.

What does Thunder Hammer improve?
"Don't Believe in the Me who Believes in You! Don't Believe in the You who Believes Me! BELIEVE IN THE YOU WHO BELIVES IN YOURSELF!!!" -Kamina
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Killer Cyborg wrote:I'd say that one of the best ways to enhance a Glitter Boy would be to use alchemist enchantments from PFRPG.

Armor:
Invisible*
Regeneration
Impervious To Fire/Heat
Buoyant

Boom Gun
Invisible*
Indestructible
Thunder Hammer

Think about it.

improved invisibility or inv. superior w/e it's called and ya get silence too and if you play where railguns have muzzleflash too then that doesn't show, while it would with invis. since invis. doesn't "leave no trace"
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Giant2005 wrote:
eliakon wrote:

It wasn't 300,000 vs a couple hundred billion, the ML were outnumbered 100:1. We don't know how many ML members were there, it could have been 300 guys vs 30,000 or it could have been 10 million vs a billion.
Surviving for 19 hours against 100:1 odds is pretty impressive but it is far from impossible. Our own history is riddled with battles much like it.

so then what your saying, is it is quite likely that they could be overwhelmed isn't Naruni forces.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Zer0 Kay wrote:

Armor:
Invisible*
Regeneration
Impervious To Fire/Heat
Buoyant

Boom Gun
Invisible*
Indestructible
Thunder Hammer

Think about it.

improved invisibility or inv. superior w/e it's called and ya get silence too and if you play where railguns have muzzleflash too then that doesn't show, while it would with invis. since invis. doesn't "leave no trace"

Not really an Alchemist enchantment that I know of. You could get it as a 3x/day spell, but I prefer permanence.

Also, I prefer the idea of people just seeing a guy floating there, several feet up in the air.
Then he points at somebody, there's a huge BOOM sound, and the person explodes.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

GBAnnihilator wrote:

Armor:
Invisible*
Regeneration
Impervious To Fire/Heat
Buoyant

Boom Gun
Invisible*
Indestructible
Thunder Hammer

Think about it.

What does Thunder Hammer improve?

The weapon inflicts an extra 2d6 damage and lets out a booming thunderclap every time it strikes or is struck.
In Rifts Earth, that would mean that the GB could use the gun as a blunt weapon, inflicting either 2d6 MD or 2d6+1d6 MD, depending on interpretation.
Not the most useful option, but I was away from my books.

A superior alternate would be Teleport Wielder, which would allow you to teleport 3x/day, up to 5 miles.
Or Turns Holder Invisible (3x/day, 10 minute duration).

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Now that I'm near my books...

KC's Improved Glitter Boy

Spoiler:
Alchemist Enhancements (now that I'm near my books again):
Armor Enhancements:
Invisibility on Armor
Regenerating Armor
Impervious To Fire/Heat
Burst Into Flames (3x/day, 100 MDC protective aura, melee attacks inflict +3d6 MD fire damage)

Boom Gun Enhancements:
Invisible Weapon (+3 initiative, +2 strike and parry against foes that cannot see invisible)
Indestructible
Teleport Wielder

Robotic Enhancements: (as per Sourcebook 1r)
Simple Robot Intelligence (IQ 1d4+7)
-Standard Robot Military Combat Skill Program
-Mechanical Military Robot Skill Program
-Military Specialized Physical Program
-Weapon Proficiencies Modern Skill Program (Energy Rifle, Energy Pistol, Heavy Military Weapons, and Flamethrower)
-Military Intelligence Skill Program

Super Solar Engine
Concealed Micro-Hover System (max. speed of 200 mph, max. altitude of 500')
Advanced Audio
Audio Recorder
Bug Detector
Built-In Language Translator
Built-In Loudspeaker
Modulating Voice Synthesizer
Inaudible Frequency Transmitter
Juke Box
Advanced Robot Eyes/Optics
Camera Eye
Laser Targeting System
Optical Reader
Optical Scanner
Macro Eye
Telescopic Eye
Targeting Display
Thermal Imager
Combat Computer
Biometric Scanner
Bio-Scan Medical Survey Unit (focused on pilot)
Depth Gauge & Alarm
Explosives Detector
Gyro-Compass
Motion Detector/Warning System
Motion Detector
Radar Detector
Radiation Detector
Sensory Antenna
Additional Hands and arms (1 pair)
Additional Mini-Hands and arms (1 pair)
Additional Tentacles (1 pair, concealed)
Forearm Particle Beam w/ range boost (1 per arm, 6d6+6 MD, 2000' range, payload tied to nuclear power supply)
Flame Thrower (3d6 MD +80% chance of combustion, 60 blasts) located in "mouth"
Large Retractable Claws (2d6 MD, 1 pair per hand)
Biting Jaws/Teeth (3d6 MD)
Prehensile Tail
Clock/Calendar
Cyber-Nano-Robot Repair Systems
Depth Tolerance
Expanded Memory
Wrist Needle & Drug Dispenser
Increased Attacks Per Melee Round (11 attacks per melee total)
Increased IQ (28)
Increased P.S. (50)
Increased PP (24)
Increased Speed (220)
Molecular Analyzer
Monitor Jack
Prowl Capability
Space Worthy

Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Now that I'm near my books...

Spoiler:
Armor Enhancements:
Invisibility on Armor
Regenerating Armor
Impervious To Fire/Heat
Burst Into Flames (3x/day, 100 MDC protective aura, melee attacks inflict +3d6 MD fire damage)

Boom Gun Enhancements:
Invisible Weapon (+3 initiative, +2 strike and parry against foes that cannot see invisible)
Indestructible
Teleport Wielder

-Weapon Proficiencies Modern Skill Program (Energy Rifle, Energy Pistol, Heavy Military Weapons, and Flamethrower)

Super Solar Engine
Advanced Audio
Audio Recorder
Bug Detector
Built-In Loudspeaker
Juke Box
Camera Eye
Laser Targeting System
Optical Reader
Optical Scanner
Macro Eye
Telescopic Eye
Targeting Display
Thermal Imager
Combat Computer
Biometric Scanner
Depth Gauge & Alarm
Explosives Detector
Gyro-Compass
Motion Detector
Radar Detector
Radiation Detector
Sensory Antenna
Forearm Particle Beam w/ range boost (1 per arm, 6d6+6 MD, 2000' range, payload tied to nuclear power supply)
Prehensile Tail
Clock/Calendar
Depth Tolerance
Expanded Memory
Increased IQ (28)
Increased P.S. (50)
Increased PP (24)
Increased Speed (220)
Molecular Analyzer
Monitor Jack
Prowl Capability
Space Worthy
Sweet baby Jesus... what would that cost?
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Thinyser wrote:

Spoiler:
Armor Enhancements:
Invisibility on Armor
Regenerating Armor
Impervious To Fire/Heat

Boom Gun Enhancements:
Indestructible
Teleport Wielder

Super Solar Engine
Advanced Audio
Audio Recorder
Bug Detector
Built-In Loudspeaker
Juke Box
Camera Eye
Laser Targeting System
Optical Reader
Optical Scanner
Macro Eye
Telescopic Eye
Targeting Display
Thermal Imager
Combat Computer
Biometric Scanner
Depth Gauge & Alarm
Explosives Detector
Gyro-Compass
Motion Detector
Radar Detector
Radiation Detector
Sensory Antenna
Prehensile Tail
Clock/Calendar
Depth Tolerance
Expanded Memory
Increased IQ (28)
Increased P.S. (50)
Increased PP (24)
Increased Speed (220)
Molecular Analyzer
Monitor Jack
Prowl Capability
Space Worthy

Didn't even bother adding up the price.
It would cost one HECK of a lot of credits, though. The attribute boosts alone would be... significant.

Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Thinyser wrote:

Spoiler:
Armor Enhancements:
Invisibility on Armor
Regenerating Armor
Impervious To Fire/Heat

Boom Gun Enhancements:
Indestructible
Teleport Wielder

Super Solar Engine
Advanced Audio
Audio Recorder
Bug Detector
Built-In Loudspeaker
Juke Box
Camera Eye
Laser Targeting System
Optical Reader
Optical Scanner
Macro Eye
Telescopic Eye
Targeting Display
Thermal Imager
Combat Computer
Biometric Scanner
Depth Gauge & Alarm
Explosives Detector
Gyro-Compass
Motion Detector
Radar Detector
Radiation Detector
Sensory Antenna
Prehensile Tail
Clock/Calendar
Depth Tolerance
Expanded Memory
Increased IQ (28)
Increased P.S. (50)
Increased PP (24)
Increased Speed (220)
Molecular Analyzer
Monitor Jack
Prowl Capability
Space Worthy

It would cost one HECK of a lot of credits, though. The attribute boosts alone would be... significant.
Master of understatement there.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

KC you wrote "Bio-Scan Medical Survey Unit (focused on pilot)" and it has a high IQ, so the armor can operate itself if the pilot is unconscious or busy doing something else (maybe casting spells or using psionics?) but the pilot could override if the AI got compromised?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Tor wrote:KC you wrote "Bio-Scan Medical Survey Unit (focused on pilot)" and it has a high IQ, so the armor can operate itself if the pilot is unconscious or busy doing something else (maybe casting spells or using psionics?) but the pilot could override if the AI got compromised?

See, that's a good question.
Part of the idea was that if (GM's call) a person's bio-medical information (brainwaves, heartbeat, etc.) are altered significantly out of the normal range when the person is possessed or otherwise magically or psionically controlled/compromised, it would be handy to have the bot able to take control.
On the other hand, if the Bot was somehow compromised, it would be handy to have the pilot able to over-ride the Bot's controls.

So... maybe it could go either way, depending on which of them wins initiative?

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Thinyser wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Thinyser wrote:Sweet baby Jesus... what would that cost?

:-D

If budget was limited, a lot of stuff could be trimmed. The thing doesn't NEED an IQ that high, for example, it'd just be nice in certain situations.
And it could make due with a PS of 30-40... PS 50 is nice, but not strictly necessary.
And so forth.

But without specific budget guidelines or anything, I figured I'd just go for everything that looked handy.

BTW, I don't have the Phase World books. If this thing was being put together there, does anybody have ideas for high-tech augmentation?
I was thinking about a Naruni Force Field, since we know that can be put into bots/PA, but then I remembered there were P-Fields or something in Phase World, and figured there might be something better.

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Thinyser wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Thinyser wrote:Sweet baby Jesus... what would that cost?

:-D

If budget was limited, a lot of stuff could be trimmed. The thing doesn't NEED an IQ that high, for example, it'd just be nice in certain situations.
And it could make due with a PS of 30-40... PS 50 is nice, but not strictly necessary.
And so forth.

But without specific budget guidelines or anything, I figured I'd just go for everything that looked handy.

BTW, I don't have the Phase World books. If this thing was being put together there, does anybody have ideas for high-tech augmentation?
I was thinking about a Naruni Force Field, since we know that can be put into bots/PA, but then I remembered there were P-Fields or something in Phase World, and figured there might be something better.
Why not both? (not necessarily active at the same time mind you).

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Thinyser wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:BTW, I don't have the Phase World books. If this thing was being put together there, does anybody have ideas for high-tech augmentation?

Good point.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Armor:
Invisible*
Regeneration
Impervious To Fire/Heat
Buoyant

Boom Gun
Invisible*
Indestructible
Thunder Hammer

Think about it.

Not really an Alchemist enchantment that I know of. You could get it as a 3x/day spell, but I prefer permanence.

Also, I prefer the idea of people just seeing a guy floating there, several feet up in the air.

Uh... So why would a suit not make the person inside it invisible? Or is that just personal choice?
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Thinyser wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:BTW, I don't have the Phase World books. If this thing was being put together there, does anybody have ideas for high-tech augmentation?

Good point.

Just remembered... Good thing no one else thought of using a p-field... or an I-field ;)
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Not really an Alchemist enchantment that I know of. You could get it as a 3x/day spell, but I prefer permanence.

Uh... So why would a suit not make the person inside it invisible? Or is that just personal choice?

The PFRPG Alchemist Enchantment is specifically on the armor, not the person wearing it.
It's just a way to wear armor without people knowing it.
If they had a permanent enchantment that would cloak the person wearing the armor as well, I would have gone with that, but they don't.

GBAnnihilator
Wanderer

Glitter Borg! A cyborg custom fit into a GB. This should increase the MDC by about 280, from cyborg MDC. Then on the useless left arm a 12ft tall Glitter Shield (chromium tower shield-made by Quebec of course) with at least 300 MDC. 770+280= 1050+300= 1350
I thought it would make sense since Quebec already uses cyborgs, and the tower shield...come on that's Badass just thinkin about it! :lol:
And if you want to make it even worse, there's the rules for making a Psychic TW Cyborg! :twisted:
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

There was an NPC in a game long ago (depicted in my sig, Operation Sniper Wolf) that was a glitter boy borg. He had black chromium armor and some kind of TW enchantment that silenced his boom gun. Wasn't the kind of guy you wanted to mess with.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Not really an Alchemist enchantment that I know of. You could get it as a 3x/day spell, but I prefer permanence.

The PFRPG Alchemist Enchantment is specifically on the armor, not the person wearing it.
If they had a permanent enchantment that would cloak the person wearing the armor as well, I would have gone with that, but they don't.

Ah. But the higher would still be better because it wouldn't leave footprints or make heavy footsteps so it really would look like your walking in air and when you point people just explode.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:The PFRPG Alchemist Enchantment is specifically on the armor, not the person wearing it.

Ah. But the higher would still be better because it wouldn't leave footprints or make heavy footsteps so it really would look like your walking in air and when you point people just explode.

Not sure what "the higher" refers to in that sentence.

Return to “Rifts®”