Needles and MDC Creatures?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Needles and MDC Creatures?

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

I seem to remember a forum thread or something in a book written about how you would draw blood, give an injection, or what have you to a being who is MDC.

Anyone see this? Or if not, anyone have thoughts on the subject?
kaid
Knight

Re: Needles and MDC Creatures?

Unread post by kaid »

FatherMorpheus wrote:I seem to remember a forum thread or something in a book written about how you would draw blood, give an injection, or what have you to a being who is MDC.

Anyone see this? Or if not, anyone have thoughts on the subject?

You pretty much would need a vibro needle or at least MDC metal needle and robotic/supernatural strength.

On the plus side most beings that have MDC hides also bio regenerate at high rates of speed and tend to have supernatural constitutions so most poisons/diseases won't effect them.
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador

kaid wrote:You pretty much would need a vibro needle or at least MDC metal needle and robotic/supernatural strength.

On the plus side most beings that have MDC hides also bio regenerate at high rates of speed and tend to have supernatural constitutions so most poisons/diseases won't effect them.

That was one of my initial thoughts, but that actually is doing harm to the patient. I'm just thinking there would have to be a way to do it without harming the patient in that way. I don't reject that this might just be how it is, but any one else have any ideas?
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Given the rate things that have MDC tend to bio regenerate while it may be painful needle even if it require some force to insert would do no lasting harm and likely would heal moments after being removed. It really depends on exactally what kind of being you are working on if they are just a MDC dbee or a critter of magic or supernatural beast.

This kind of medical action only really would be applicable to a DBee of some sort as creatures of magic and supernatural may not even have blood as we know it and any disease/poison capable of harming them likely is magical in nature and not something a blood test would help with.

A dbee culture that is MDC tough but low enough bio regen to even bother figuring out these procedures either would have some sort of super sharp needle or just recognize the force required to puncture the skin and tell the patient to suck it up or possibly give them local anesthetic.
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador

kaid wrote:A dbee culture that is MDC tough but low enough bio regen to even bother figuring out these procedures either would have some sort of super sharp needle or just recognize the force required to puncture the skin and tell the patient to suck it up or possibly give them local anesthetic.

How would you give them a local anesthetic, considering those take needles normally? Perhaps a topical gel or something.
Aaryq
Adventurer

Unread post by Aaryq »

Skip the needles and deliver via alternate means (inhalation, *medical word for snorting*, creams, suppositories, oral medication, etc)
There should be a specific sub-forum of the Rifts forum dedicated to the only hope for salvation of the human race, the Coalition States.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

This kind of consideration was one of the driving factors in my decision to abandon MDC.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

flatline wrote:This kind of consideration was one of the driving factors in my decision to abandon MDC.

--flatline

For most things it works fine as most MDC critters have very good natural bio regen and near immunity to poison and disease. But you get some things like wormwood humans who are just really odd and some other DB who combine MDC but almost no bio regen and things get weird.

It is REALLY hard to heal MDC very few spells and natural psionics work on MDC and those that do are really expensive to use for minimal returns. For most beings its not an issue but for some its a real head scratcher as once they get hurt they just stay hurt and it becomes really hard to heal them.

Take something like the native american spirit warrior you almost always wind up taking water as one of your three choices so that after a major fight you don't wind up with months of downtime as you heal back an immense amount of MDC VERY VERY VERY slowly.
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador

kaid wrote:For most things it works fine as most MDC critters have very good natural bio regen and near immunity to poison and disease. But you get some things like wormwood humans who are just really odd and some other DB who combine MDC but almost no bio regen and things get weird.

It is REALLY hard to heal MDC very few spells and natural psionics work on MDC and those that do are really expensive to use for minimal returns. For most beings its not an issue but for some its a real head scratcher as once they get hurt they just stay hurt and it becomes really hard to heal them.

Take something like the native american spirit warrior you almost always wind up taking water as one of your three choices so that after a major fight you don't wind up with months of downtime as you heal back an immense amount of MDC VERY VERY VERY slowly.

This is kind of what I was pondering. There are MDC beings that don't just regenerate. And what about giving or having blood drawn. You can't just 'exhale' blood. This is kind of the whole Superman issue, where they had to develop a kryptonite tipped needle to draw blood. Or some such.

I'm a little surprised this hasn't come up before, but maybe most people just kind of glazed over it.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

FatherMorpheus wrote:
kaid wrote:For most things it works fine as most MDC critters have very good natural bio regen and near immunity to poison and disease. But you get some things like wormwood humans who are just really odd and some other DB who combine MDC but almost no bio regen and things get weird.

This is kind of what I was pondering. There are MDC beings that don't just regenerate. And what about giving or having blood drawn. You can't just 'exhale' blood. This is kind of the whole Superman issue, where they had to develop a kryptonite tipped needle to draw blood. Or some such.

I'm a little surprised this hasn't come up before, but maybe most people just kind of glazed over it.

I am not sure but I have a vague remembrance that somewhere it said serrated blades do a better job of cutting mdc stuff of course the best one was in a webnovel I was reading (active on wattpad) where one of the chars was an immortal werewolf which in that story has rather impressive to insane regeneration and the way that she got some piercings /tattoos was with a wide heavy gauge needle otherwise her body would heal too fast, (in fact most of the piercings including the tongue) were essentially healed by the time she got home from the parlor.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Magical TW needles. Or you could use skin soluble patches. I do not think MDC creatures need as much medical care as normal humans.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

FatherMorpheus wrote:

It does not come up much because it only effects a tiny percentage of MDC beings mostly oddball things like wormwood humans. Other than a few really rare outliers MDC creatures usually have very rapid regeneration capability up to and including in many cases regenerating lost limbs/organs. Doctors in a culture that is pretty much immune to disease and poison and whose population can grow back entire limbs within a few days probably play a much different role. Oh look boy your arm is broken and set wrong? To bad let me just chop the arm off and in a couple days you will be as right as rain.

Return to “Rifts®”