CS Solar Roadways

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Slight001
Hero

Re: CS Solar Roadways

Unread post by Slight001 »

The only interest I've seen in the laser bow was for exploiting the power pump.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Slight001 wrote:The only interest I've seen in the laser bow was for exploiting the power pump.

funny, isn't it, how a concept when presented as magic sounds pretty interesting manages to sound so silly as a technological item. a magical bow that shoots arrows of light sounds pretty cool. the second you present it as a laser bow, it just somehow manages to sound completely ridiculous.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Shark_Force wrote:
Slight001 wrote:The only interest I've seen in the laser bow was for exploiting the power pump.

funny, isn't it, how a concept when presented as magic sounds pretty interesting manages to sound so silly as a technological item. a magical bow that shoots arrows of light sounds pretty cool. the second you present it as a laser bow, it just somehow manages to sound completely ridiculous.
:lol: So true.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Daniel Stoker wrote:
The Artist Formerly wrote:All things are possible through "because shut up". How does a laser bow work with a pull of a bow string to generate MDC level laser blasts? Because shut up! Why do fusion generators have radioactive fission materials in them? Because shut up! How is it you can generate a laser beam in to a blade like object and slash stuff with it? Because shut up!

Because shut up! Making everything in life better. :ok:

They fixed the Laser bow ... it has an eclip now. :p

Daniel Stoker

Hehehe, Do you recall Krome lizard's Juicer on a exercise bike powered starship? In a long list of weird ideas, the laser bow is at the top, being the grand champion of silly. :lol:
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Thinyser wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:

:lol: So true.

Not always true. I want a magic rod that will launch dirballs at a target and blow it up...
How about this? Its called a ba-zoo-ka.
I want a want that I can stun somebody at a distance with...
How about this? We call it the finger of Taz Zeer

I think the reason people don't like the laser bow is because it was explained. The dislike activated further with the use of the word, plunger. What do we use a plunger on? Toilets... Clogged toilets... Cuz they're full of pooh. Who wants to use a weapon full of pooh?

Presented for your enjoyment by the Pinky side of my brain. But if presented by pinky, we'd skip the reasons and just go to, "I think so Brain, but next time we decide to use laser shooting bows you have to load up the pooh."
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

GBAnnihilator wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:
GBAnnihilator wrote:Radios are too restricted by range, and a jammer only needs to jam the one transmitting. Yes that might work for the military but I'm trying to connect the cities.
The CS could also make a giant MDC drill to connect the cities by putting the cables and whatever else too far for seismic sensors to detect. Sense the CS don't have an instant connection with each other, this solves it. If there's some type of demonic worm that I don't know of, just reinforce it with MDC materials.

*our* radios are too restricted by range. rifts radios kick science square in the nuts and have a 300+ mile range for inexpensive commercial models.

and it's not so easy to jam the one transmitting when you've got a network of dozens of these things (which is still a lot cheaper to set up, maintain, and protect, because protecting and entire huge line of territory between every city is completely bonkers)

they have made enemies with many many earth warlocks. enough to fortify basically the entire kingdom of tolkeen with bunkers over the course of a decade or so, from what we can tell. your "secret" in the ground won't stay secret for long. and simply making a cable MDC isn't going to do squat unless you can get troops to any point along that line super fast.

now, dealing with jamming, on the other hand, is comparatively easy. good quality jamming equipment is very rare... only found on a handful of expensive military grade power armours and such. furthermore, you can't really conceal your location if you're jamming. which means that it's not going to take long to find out where your jamming station is, and send someone to deal with it. *and* this still presumes they have the ability to jam all of your transmitters... which, if you have a network of stations set up is going to mean that you need to jam probably 15-20+ stations at a time to do anything more than just be annoying. or jam the origin or end point, which if they're of strategic significance will have regular patrols and such already.

I'm not doubting the radio idea, I'm trying to get instant phone and other communication relayed almost instantly between the cities so nothing can be intercepted or jammed.
The ability for the cable to be accessed quickly would be a Bullet Train which wouldn't be hard for the CS, its basic science.

So is that why Austria had a bullet train when Einstien still lived there? :P.
Seriously though why not send a technician in a squad of SAMAS?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

The Artist Formerly wrote:
flatline wrote:
The Artist Formerly wrote:As everything in Rifts runs on "because shut up" this seems unneeded.

I love that choice of words.

I started a project over a decade ago to rationalize the setting (and rules, to some extent), but my notes disappeared in one of the moves since then. Maybe some day I'll do it again.

--flatline

All things are possible through "because shut up". How does a laser bow work with a pull of a bow string to generate MDC level laser blasts? Because shut up! Why do fusion generators have radioactive fission materials in them? Because shut up! How is it you can generate a laser beam in to a blade like object and slash stuff with it? Because shut up!

Why can wills bend laser into a blade but hasn't made a more dense, and thereby easier to manipulate, particle beam into a light saber?

How long has "Because shut up" been making life better for gamers? When was it established? I'd like to add it to my sig. :)
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
flatline wrote:
The Artist Formerly wrote:As everything in Rifts runs on "because shut up" this seems unneeded.

I started a project over a decade ago to rationalize the setting (and rules, to some extent), but my notes disappeared in one of the moves since then. Maybe some day I'll do it again.

--flatline

All things are possible through "because shut up". How does a laser bow work with a pull of a bow string to generate MDC level laser blasts? Because shut up! Why do fusion generators have radioactive fission materials in them? Because shut up! How is it you can generate a laser beam in to a blade like object and slash stuff with it? Because shut up!

Why can wills bend laser into a blade but hasn't made a more dense, and thereby easier to manipulate, particle beam into a light saber?

How long has "Because shut up" been making life better for gamers? When was it established? I'd like to add it to my sig. :)

Um the energy blades in AU are light sabers in different form/name.
Most works of fiction can easily be torn down if you dig deeper into them than the writer intended or had the knowledge to justify.

Example look at the Golden Age Abrams main battle tank in Rifts Mercenaries. It has a low damage because it is outdated "sdc" tech but its mussel velocity of its 120mm main gun is almost as fast as a boom gun, it can fire a solid round with DU penetrator. Meaning that it should do more damage than the boom gun as the round has more mass to carry energy to the target and Triax has DU listed as rail gun ammo with a modifier.

So justifications based on real world information of why things work in fiction game is most likely a effort in futility. It is better not to over think it and just enjoy the game as what it is a frame work to have fun in with things that may be impossible but create a enjoyable back drop.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Blue_Lion wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

Most works of fiction can easily be torn down if you dig deeper into them than the writer intended or had the knowledge to justify.

Example look at the Golden Age Abrams main battle tank in Rifts Mercenaries. It has a low damage because it is outdated "sdc" tech but its mussel velocity of its 120mm main gun is almost as fast as a boom gun, it can fire a solid round with DU penetrator. Meaning that it should do more damage than the boom gun as the round has more mass to carry energy to the target and Triax has DU listed as rail gun ammo with a modifier.

So justifications based on real world information of why things work in fiction game is most likely a effort in futility. It is better not to over think it and just enjoy the game as what it is a frame work to have fun in with things that may be impossible but create a enjoyable back drop.

Uh the APFSDS round uses tungsten not DU.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Zer0 Kay wrote:

Um not always...
At least not for the 105MM guns.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Actually, DU has also been used for APDSFS penetrators, it's denser than tungsten and pyrophoric to boot.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Svartalf wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Actually, DU has also been used for APDSFS penetrators, it's denser than tungsten and pyrophoric to boot.

Dang your right, even the best known one the M829 ised by the M1A1 is DU. Darn mass media.

Return to “Rifts®”