This is quite puzzling

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Ruiner
Explorer
Comment: I am a perfectionist who is good at nothing. You can imagine my frustration.

This is quite puzzling

Unread post by The Ruiner »

As a Gm with little to no imagination of my own, what kinds of puzzles, traps or tight situations have you put your players in? Alternatively, if you are not a Gm, what predicaments has your character been thrust into?
"There's only room in here for One, and I've decided it's not you."

"Open your eyes, I'm gonna horrify you into a comma!"--Master Shake
SpiritInterface
Hero

Re: This is quite puzzling

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

One of our GM loves puzzles and word games, he has had us play chess as pieces, solve what do these thing have in common, memory games using a card deck and a Tarot deck, remember the pattern while moving across a trapped tile floor.

Are these the kinds of things you were talking about.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
The Ruiner
Explorer
Comment: I am a perfectionist who is good at nothing. You can imagine my frustration.

Yes. This exactly the kind of thing that I am looking for...specifics are a plus!

guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

The Ruiner wrote:Yes. This exactly the kind of thing that I am looking for...specifics are a plus!

I can't remember the exact title... but when I used https://www.google.com/#q=big+book+of+traps+d%26d I got several hits pointing at both physical (official) and net books about the subject.

yes they would need adaption to use in palladium/rifts but it should give you a solid starting point for ideas
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I ran a D&D adventure once where it took something like four hours for the party to get past the first room of the dungeon, because the rather simple puzzle completely stumped them.
I haven't done many puzzle adventures since.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The Ruiner wrote:As a Gm with little to no imagination of my own, what kinds of puzzles, traps or tight situations have you put your players in? Alternatively, if you are not a Gm, what predicaments has your character been thrust into?

Go down to the comic or book store and get something to get ideas from.
Which encompasses KC's idea about running D&D adventures cause you can sometimes get those adventure modules in both places.

Another way to get ideas is to watch TV programs. But you need to be proactively taking notes when the idea hits you.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Well I would make suggestions, but last puzzle took another computer programmer to solve and still 2 hours. He even didn't completely solve it. Got it down to the last piece. So I give it to him.

So maybe I'm not the best to ask.

4 groups of 4-6 players failed to solve it before him.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Mouser13 wrote:Well I would make suggestions, but last puzzle took another computer programmer to solve and still 2 hours. He even didn't completely solve it. Got it down to the last piece. So I give it to him.

Do you still have it? post it? Please :?
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

To the OP: Do you like math puzzles or physical puzzles (think Myst and the various levers one had to pull)? Or riddles?
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

The Ruiner
Explorer

Well, math hates me so that kind of limits me. Just about anything else should be o.k......not looking for anything too complicated.

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

If you are looking for puzzles with which to perplex your players may I suggest giving any of these books a look?
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Killer Cyborg wrote:I ran a D&D adventure once where it took something like four hours for the party to get past the first room of the dungeon, because the rather simple puzzle completely stumped them.
I haven't done many puzzle adventures since.

If you still have/remember it, can you PM it to me? I'd like to try to solve it.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Riddle: One evening a man started to run. Then he turned left. Soon after, he turned left again. Then he started running home. When he got home there were 2 masked men waiting for him. Who were they?
Spoiler:
The umpire and the catcher. He was playing baseball.

Riddle: You can only keep it once you give it to somebody.
Spoiler:
Your word

Riddle: Use the numbers 2, 3, 4 and 5 and the symbols + and = to make a true equation.
Note: Each must be used exactly once and no other numbers or symbols can be used.
Spoiler:
3[sup]2[/sup]=4+5

Riddle: A cowboy rode to an inn on Friday. He stayed two nights and left on Friday. How could that be?
Spoiler:
His horse is named Friday. duh that one is too easy.

Riddle: 500 is at my end and my start, yet 5 is at my heart.
The first letter and the first number make me complete.
My name is that of a king.
What am I?
Spoiler:
DAVID. D=500, V=5, and I=1 (the first number). 'A' is the first letter of the alphabet. This one is already hard but to make it harder leave out the reference to the name of a king in the riddle

Riddle: What has a foot but no leg?
Spoiler:
Either "a ruler" or "a snail" are acceptable answers

Riddle: It dances and skips,
it's read in the eyes but it cheats with the hips,
If it meets its match it's easily caught,
but it's worth nothing if it is bought.
What is it?
Spoiler:
The Heart

Riddle: The person who buys me doesn't need me, the person who makes me doesn't want me, and the person who uses me can't appreciate me.
What am I?
Spoiler:
A coffin/casket

Riddle: I have lakes with no fish.
I have roads with no cars.
What am I?
Spoiler:
A map

None of these were of my own devising I just found some on the internet that I like. How exactly you would work these into your game is up to you. Possibly a robot or golem-esque guardian that confronts the characters with one or more of them to be allowed to pass. Alternately they could find the riddle inscribed on a door and have to type in the answer on a provided keyboard to open it.

flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Thinyser wrote:
Riddle: Use the numbers 2, 3, 4 and 5 and the symbols + and = to make a true equation.
Note: Each must be used exactly once and no other numbers or symbols can be used.
Spoiler:
3[sup]2[/sup]=4+5

a simpler solution, unless you're constrained to exactly one addition symbol:

Spoiler:
3 + 4 = 2 + 5

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

flatline wrote:
Thinyser wrote:
Spoiler:
3[sup]2[/sup]=4+5

a simpler solution, unless you're constrained to exactly one addition symbol:

Spoiler:
3 + 4 = 2 + 5

--flatline
Yeah see the "Note" must be used exactly once and no other numbers or symbols can be used, so using another addition symbol would violate the "exactly once" rule...

Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Well I remade the puzzle per request. I sharing via drop box(Never done so I hope it works).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6f1wao8u357zrk5/puzzle.ods
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eedb927toxm7rhe/puzzle.xls

Let me know if it isn't working.

You can PM if you think you have a solution.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Mouser13 wrote:Well I remade the puzzle per request. I sharing via drop box(Never done so I hope it works).

Ok I need more explanation than you can
change - to | or L to R
I've never played the old water pipe game so I don't know the goal or the premise or anything. :?

Whats the goal?
What does - do
What does | do
What does L or R do?

Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Thinyser wrote:
Mouser13 wrote:Well I remade the puzzle per request. I sharing via drop box(Never done so I hope it works).

Ok I need more explanation than you can
change - to | or L to R
I've never played the old water pipe game so I don't know the goal or the premise or anything. :?

Whats the goal?
What does - do
What does | do. Allows the water to flow up and down
What does L or R do?
L allows water to travel from top to right or right to top. Either is possible.
r allows to transfer from bot to right or right to the bottom.

+ allow the water to flow it any and all directions top,right,left,bot.

The goal is to get the water to flow from the start to all exit points this case exit are the *.
Quick example

+ #+ can go any direct and multiple directions. So in this case to top and are exit
- # Water can't get here because it not connected to the below block. Switch to | so it can flow.
| # can enter this one because of direction has it connected to start block.
" # Water starts here

So the simple solution is to change - block to | So the water or in are case if you look at solution to stage yellow/gold path. Lights up.
I hope this helps.

Also note their could be more then one path to complete I just made sure their was at least one. The solutions tabs show how the * light up after you complete the path to all the exits. If you complete it another way they would still light up the same colors your path of gold would just be different.

Normally what I have happen in the game. Is the two side ones are doors to loot and the Top exit is to the next stage.

After you complete all 9 paths they come to the last room and final puzzle.

The game is very similar to DDO though I know it from old water pipe game. This could help give you a visual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdVa2BWzZBc
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Got the water pipe deal all figured out but the last problem to fill the holes with the 27 colored block is stumping me. I'll have to get back to you once I think I have a solution.

Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Thinyser wrote:Got the water pipe deal all figured out but the last problem to fill the holes with the 27 colored block is stumping me. I'll have to get back to you once I think I have a solution.

Yes it is a fun one from the dark evil corners of my mind is where this is created from.
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

Find a copy of Grimtooth's Traps. Those have lots of fun traps as well. Though be careful with those, as they can be very lethal. They are very medieval in design, but that doesn't mean you can't alter them.

http://www.amazon.com/Grimtooths-Traps- ... 0940244756
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

J.L. Duncan wrote:I write Dungeon traps for Knights of the Dinner Table comic book (see the sig). I just noticed a Deadly Trappings compilation which I was unaware of until last week.

http://www.kenzerco.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=686

The Grimtooth traps look very interesting...

Grimtooth's Trap is old school, but really a great reference.
sanka
D-Bee

Unread post by sanka »

Thinyser wrote:
Mouser13 wrote:Well I would make suggestions, but last puzzle took another computer programmer to solve and still 2 hours. He even didn't completely solve it. Got it down to the last piece. So I give it to him.

Guy's, it's not called roll play for nothing.
If you want to GM a game with houres of puzzeling, be my guest. But don't invite me.
Had one of those GM's once, offerd for my character to roll an intelligence roll to solve the dilemma, cos we, the players, were done with it.

No I dont want to stroll throug everything without thinking, but I do want a game to be funn..
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Checkout old ad&d module tomb of horrors for some hard puzzles u may be able to convert.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

sanka wrote:
Thinyser wrote:

If you want to GM a game with houres of puzzeling, be my guest. But don't invite me.
Had one of those GM's once, offerd for my character to roll an intelligence roll to solve the dilemma, cos we, the players, were done with it.

No I dont want to stroll throug everything without thinking, but I do want a game to be funn..

Please tell me your kidding, using sarcasm, being facetious. It's. Role playing NOT roll playing.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Zer0 Kay wrote:
sanka wrote:
Thinyser wrote:

Please tell me your kidding, using sarcasm, being facetious. It's. Role playing NOT roll playing.
Haha I'm guessing that it was not even intentional to use roll rather than role, but it does seem to fit the context of the rest of the post so maybe roll was intentional. Either way I don't think he was joking.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Thinyser wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
sanka wrote:
Thinyser wrote:

Haha I'm guessing that it was not even intentional to use roll rather than role, but it does seem to fit the context of the rest of the post so maybe roll was intentional. Either way I don't think he was joking.

:cry: that makes me sad.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

agreed

cosmicfish
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Hi.

Unread post by cosmicfish »

Many, many years ago, I was a player in a game that completely collapsed - the only time I have been party to such. The cause? Completely unrelated puzzles and riddles. The GM, in an honest and well-intentioned attempt to provide something more than hack-and-slash, decided that the door out of the cavern we were in could only be opened by solving a logic puzzle (the type where you are trying to find the name of the redhead and what kind of car she drives, etc.). It made zero sense in the context of the game and pulled us out right out of it. We rebelled against puzzles that did not make sense in-game, and the campaign abruptly ended.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

cosmicfish wrote:Many, many years ago, I was a player in a game that completely collapsed - the only time I have been party to such. The cause? Completely unrelated puzzles and riddles. The GM, in an honest and well-intentioned attempt to provide something more than hack-and-slash, decided that the door out of the cavern we were in could only be opened by solving a logic puzzle (the type where you are trying to find the name of the redhead and what kind of car she drives, etc.). It made zero sense in the context of the game and pulled us out right out of it. We rebelled against puzzles that did not make sense in-game, and the campaign abruptly ended.

there are 2 ways to setup puzzles "in game" that sort of make sense one is to base it on things players should know, the other is to base it on things the charactors should know or learn, the latter pretty much REQUIRES "easter eggs" to setup and make it work.

an example: lets say you setup a :lore history (or other lore based puzzle) examples that could work: what does not fit: dog cat tree steel, or the capital of insert place is.... or some kind of puzzle that is setup by something in game, like a scrap of paper, a memo on a computer screen or similar these are VERY common in things like the fallout games.

one I remember that was actually fairly good was in an old pc game The crescent hawks inception: there were "copy protection" puzzles early in the game that required info from the manual, but in game were supposed to be you taking a "test" on various parts of a combat unit.
later in the game you were supposed to find this "cave" and once you got in there was a logic puzzle and map puzzle. the logic puzzle was you got a "code key card that could hold 3 keys, 1 red, 1 blue, and 1 yellow or something, basically you ran around using terminals and loading their codes like blue 13 and then you found the lock that needed codes blue 13, red 5, and yellow 3 when you had the proper codes it would open.

the map puzzle had you picking planets based on clues from other places in game, to configure a comm system to transmit a request for help.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

guardiandashi wrote:
cosmicfish wrote:Many, many years ago, I was a player in a game that completely collapsed - the only time I have been party to such. The cause? Completely unrelated puzzles and riddles. The GM, in an honest and well-intentioned attempt to provide something more than hack-and-slash, decided that the door out of the cavern we were in could only be opened by solving a logic puzzle (the type where you are trying to find the name of the redhead and what kind of car she drives, etc.). It made zero sense in the context of the game and pulled us out right out of it. We rebelled against puzzles that did not make sense in-game, and the campaign abruptly ended.

there are 2 ways to setup puzzles "in game" that sort of make sense one is to base it on things players should know, the other is to base it on things the charactors should know or learn, the latter pretty much REQUIRES "easter eggs" to setup and make it work.

an example: lets say you setup a :lore history (or other lore based puzzle) examples that could work: what does not fit: dog cat tree steel, or the capital of insert place is.... or some kind of puzzle that is setup by something in game, like a scrap of paper, a memo on a computer screen or similar these are VERY common in things like the fallout games.

one I remember that was actually fairly good was in an old pc game The crescent hawks inception: there were "copy protection" puzzles early in the game that required info from the manual, but in game were supposed to be you taking a "test" on various parts of a combat unit.
later in the game you were supposed to find this "cave" and once you got in there was a logic puzzle and map puzzle. the logic puzzle was you got a "code key card that could hold 3 keys, 1 red, 1 blue, and 1 yellow or something, basically you ran around using terminals and loading their codes like blue 13 and then you found the lock that needed codes blue 13, red 5, and yellow 3 when you had the proper codes it would open.

the map puzzle had you picking planets based on clues from other places in game, to configure a comm system to transmit a request for help.

blue 13, red 5, and yellow 3? That's easy its the food coloring for brown M&Ms. :)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

If you are looking for Automotive related puzzles then looking at the "Car Talk" web site under 'the puzzler' section will give you some.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Don't really care for puzzles in games, particularly when they seem to require I as the player to demonstrate the IQ/skill of my character even if the character is a genius level intellect with actual skills related to puzzle solving. I hate being stuck in a failing situation because I was expected to do something that my character should be the one doing not myself.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
The Ruiner
Explorer

Wow, there seems to be quite a bit of hate for puzzles. If I were to end up implementing any of them, I would not make them an impediment to the progression of the story. I would regulate them to something like 'lil side missions or treasure rooms, stuff that would be helpfull, but not necessary to the main objective.

Return to “Rifts®”