Least Powerful Super Power Combinations

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

flatline
Knight

Least Powerful Super Power Combinations

Unread post by flatline »

What's the least impressive super powered character you can make with 3 Major + 2 Minor or 2 Major + 3 Minor?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Re: Least Powerful Super Power Combinations

Unread post by say652 »

Divine aura.
Control darkness.
Night stalking.
Power channeling.
Manipulate kinetic energy.

A solid playable character but not exceedingly over powered.

And since I could get an occ, I choose Bodyfixer.

.Name. Dr Night.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Awesome thread.
:ok:
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Any class restrictions?

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I followed the cb1 scholar adventurer restrictions.
flatline
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:Any class restrictions?

I'm mostly just curious what power combinations will be chosen, but if you have a particular class in mind, go ahead and share it.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Shapeshifter.
Control Elemental Force:Air.
Underwater abilities.
Extraordinary Mental Affinity.
Flight:wingless.

Occ. Saloon Girl.

Beatrice.
flatline
Knight

So here's a guy who might not even realize he has super powers until he starts outliving the people around him:

Major: Immortality, Karmic Power

Minor: Heightened Sense of Touch, Heightened Sense of Smell, Heightened Sense of Taste

--flatline

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Karmic power is a good power. Crazy bonuses.

I like this one :)
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Technically a super.

Physical traing power catergory.

I used a pt character for a while. Pretty cool. In mdc armor deal md punches n kicks. Sdc and pretty good in a fight.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

This one is an experiment.
Side effect. Increased mass.

Superhuman Strength.
Underwater abilities.
Heightened Sense of Hearing.
Radar.
Extraordinary physical endurance.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Well if you play in a game where super beings are non-existant to very rare

Immune to Super Abilities + Negate Super Abilities + Borrow Super Abilities
Ex Sense of Touch & Ex Sense of Time
Fermat
Explorer

Unread post by Fermat »

Major 1: Animal Metamorphosis: Sloth
Major 2: Immortality
Minor 1: Heightened Sense of Taste
Minor 2: Heightened Sense of Time
Minor 3: Bio-aura
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Fermat wrote:Major 1: Animal Metamorphosis: Sloth

Wow...either you don't MIND just hanging around for a LONG time chewing leaves, or you go MAD just hanging around for a LONG time chewing leaves.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
flatline
Knight

Here's a more subtle super powered character. He knows he has super powers, but if he's careful, those around him might not have any idea.

Minor: Bend Light, Supervision: X-Ray, Heightened Sense of Hearing
Major: Control(Others), Item Reduction

--flatline

flatline
Knight

Man, I totally need to get PU1-3. All I have to work with is HU:R anad HU2...

--flatline

Killer Cyborg
Priest

flatline wrote:Man, I totally need to get PU1-3. All I have to work with is HU:R anad HU2...

--flatline

Pretty much the same boat here.

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

taalismn wrote:
Fermat wrote:Major 1: Animal Metamorphosis: Sloth

Wow...either you don't MIND just hanging around for a LONG time chewing leaves, or you go MAD just hanging around for a LONG time chewing leaves.

He SAVORS those leaves pretty much forever. That is a very slothy power set.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

kaid wrote:[

He SAVORS those leaves pretty much forever. That is a very slothy power set.

Villains don't bother him because there's no prestige in beating up a sloth?
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Killer Cyborg
Priest

flatline wrote:What's the least impressive super powered character you can make with 3 Major + 2 Minor or 2 Major + 3 Minor?

--flatline

Major:
Super Consumption
Dimensional Room (PU1)

Minor:
Clock Manipulation
Heightened Sense of Time (PU1)
Sleeplessness (PU1)

I tried to get powers that either overlap or conflict, but most of those were still pretty useful.
Clock Manipulation, for example, already includes a keen sense of timing similar to the Heightened Sense of Time power.

Overall, this guy doesn't need to sleep much, he has a dimensional room he can go to, he can eat anything, and he can control clocks.
I could build around this to make for a pretty cool character... BUT overall, it's a pretty lame set of powers.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Animal Metamorphosis has odd wording, so I don't know if it can actually be as specific as "Sloth."

The text states:
"The character can completely transform into a particular type of animal, such as canine, feline, etc."
This makes it seem like you couldn't pick "Animal Metamorphosis: House Cat," but would be stuck with the broader power of being able to turn into any kind of feline you desired, from a house cat to a sabretooth tiger.
Also, the selection of kinds of animals seems to be technically limited to the specific categories on the list.

All of which is a shame, because for a while I was thinking of having the major power of "Animal Metamorphosis: Sea Cucumber."

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Animal Metamorphosis has odd wording, so I don't know if it can actually be as specific as "Sloth."

The text states:
"The character can completely transform into a particular type of animal, such as canine, feline, etc."
This makes it seem like you couldn't pick "Animal Metamorphosis: House Cat," but would be stuck with the broader power of being able to turn into any kind of feline you desired, from a house cat to a sabretooth tiger.
Also, the selection of kinds of animals seems to be technically limited to the specific categories on the list.

All of which is a shame, because for a while I was thinking of having the major power of "Animal Metamorphosis: Sea Cucumber."

So if you took metamorph sloth you could turn into a megatherium? Awesome!
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
flatline wrote:What's the least impressive super powered character you can make with 3 Major + 2 Minor or 2 Major + 3 Minor?

--flatline

Major:
Super Consumption
Dimensional Room (PU1)

Minor:
Clock Manipulation
Sleeplessness (PU1)

I tried to get powers that either overlap or conflict, but most of those were still pretty useful.
Clock Manipulation, for example, already includes a keen sense of timing similar to the Heightened Sense of Time power.

Overall, this guy doesn't need to sleep much, he has a dimensional room he can go to, he can eat anything, and he can control clocks.
I could build around this to make for a pretty cool character... BUT overall, it's a pretty lame set of powers.

I only have to disagree with the 'low power' on one point on this one. Clock Manipulation in a high-tech setting can be devastating against technology. Since all computer chipsets are based on clocks, the character can easily overclock a robot or powered armor's chipset, burning it out or shutting it down. Also I saw that the power doesn't have a range listed, so I would guess the range to be Line of Sight of the Unit you're targeting. After all, a bank vault's time lock wouldn't be within view, but I would guess you'd still have to see the vault itself.

Apart from that, yeah, a low-powered build.
flatline
Knight

wyrmraker wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

--flatline

Major:
Super Consumption
Dimensional Room (PU1)

Minor:
Clock Manipulation
Sleeplessness (PU1)

I only have to disagree with the 'low power' on one point on this one. Clock Manipulation in a high-tech setting can be devastating against technology. Since all computer chipsets are based on clocks, the character can easily overclock a robot or powered armor's chipset, burning it out or shutting it down. Also I saw that the power doesn't have a range listed, so I would guess the range to be Line of Sight of the Unit you're targeting. After all, a bank vault's time lock wouldn't be within view, but I would guess you'd still have to see the vault itself.

The lack of range has always seemed strange. With the most generous interpretation of that power, a super with Clock Manipulation could "turn of" or change the frequency of a Quasar in another galaxy.

--flatline

wyrmraker
Hero

flatline wrote:
wyrmraker wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

--flatline

Major:
Super Consumption
Dimensional Room (PU1)

Minor:
Clock Manipulation
Sleeplessness (PU1)

The lack of range has always seemed strange. With the most generous interpretation of that power, a super with Clock Manipulation could "turn of" or change the frequency of a Quasar in another galaxy.

--flatline

That's why I would run with a conventional Line of Sight kind of range. Keeps things from getting ridiculous.
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Incriptus wrote:Well if you play in a game where super beings are non-existant to very rare

Immune to Super Abilities + Negate Super Abilities + Borrow Super Abilities
Ex Sense of Touch & Ex Sense of Time

I think we have already found the winner!
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Control plants.
Animal abilities:Hooved.
Alter features.
Adhesion.
Flight:Glide.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

flatline wrote:
wyrmraker wrote:I only have to disagree with the 'low power' on one point on this one. Clock Manipulation in a high-tech setting can be devastating against technology. Since all computer chipsets are based on clocks, the character can easily overclock a robot or powered armor's chipset, burning it out or shutting it down. Also I saw that the power doesn't have a range listed, so I would guess the range to be Line of Sight of the Unit you're targeting. After all, a bank vault's time lock wouldn't be within view, but I would guess you'd still have to see the vault itself.

--flatline

It's a Minor power.
Line of sight seems to make the most sense.
And I think that it's pretty clear that the power wasn't intended to work on all clocks, despite what a liberal interpretation of the text might allow.
So no, no shutting down robots or power armor.
And no re-arranging the stars by manipulating stonehenge.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

say652 wrote:Control plants.
Animal abilities:Hooved.
Alter features.
Adhesion.
Flight:Glide.

What's not useful about that...?

I mean, Glide isn't all that great, but the rest are all valuable powers.
And even Glide can be pretty useful.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Animal Metamorphosis has odd wording, so I don't know if it can actually be as specific as "Sloth."

The text states:

So if you took metamorph sloth you could turn into a megatherium? Awesome!

Well, if there WAS a "Metomorphosis: Sloth" power, yeah.
But it isn't listed, not in HU2 anyway.

There IS an "Any and ALL animals" option, though, which would let you turn into a mega-sloth, or a T-Rex, or a Giant Squid.
On Rifts Earth... man, there would be even more options.
Of course, just the T-Rex would be pretty significant.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

It said least powerful not useless.

My Goat man is a jungle dweller. And always gets the best fruits.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

say652 wrote:It said least powerful not useless.

Useless IS least powerful.
You can't get less powerful than useless.

flatline
Knight

I did say "Least powerful", but any low power build is fine.

--flatline

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Underwater abilities.
X-ray vision.
Heightened Sense of Taste.

Sonic power.
Mechano link.
wyrmraker
Hero

Killer Cyborg wrote:
flatline wrote:
wyrmraker wrote:I only have to disagree with the 'low power' on one point on this one. Clock Manipulation in a high-tech setting can be devastating against technology. Since all computer chipsets are based on clocks, the character can easily overclock a robot or powered armor's chipset, burning it out or shutting it down. Also I saw that the power doesn't have a range listed, so I would guess the range to be Line of Sight of the Unit you're targeting. After all, a bank vault's time lock wouldn't be within view, but I would guess you'd still have to see the vault itself.

--flatline

It's a Minor power.
Line of sight seems to make the most sense.
And I think that it's pretty clear that the power wasn't intended to work on all clocks, despite what a liberal interpretation of the text might allow.
So no, no shutting down robots or power armor.
And no re-arranging the stars by manipulating stonehenge.

I understand what you're saying, and actually I would use pretty much the same ruling. But using the Rules As Written, the power does clearly state "any timekeeping device". I would heckly my GM with it, and we would laugh about it.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I know slow motion control can stop or slow down detonators.
wyrmraker
Hero

say652 wrote:I know slow motion control can stop or slow down detonators.

Using strictly the Rules as Written, Clock Control can easily become devastating against technology. If a person overclocks the main processor of a computer's chipset (makes it run way too fast), it will over heat withing seconds, either shutting down as a safety feature or burning out.

Today's average cellular phone uses about 8 clock co-processors, plus the main clock display. You'd only need to hit the core processor's chips. It's much the same for every piece of electronics out there. ARCHIE-3? Oh yeah. Easy. Plus you don't actually need to see the clock itself, going by the power description.

Is that overpowered? Definitely, which is why most GMs wouldn't allow it to be used in such a manner. But it's good for a laugh.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

No its not.

Control kinetic energy.
Multiple lives.
Natural combat ability.
Extraordinary Physical Prowess.
Extraordinary Speed.

Awesome in an sdc world. Eh since the character cant deal md but it can use any weapon. Hehehe.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

wyrmraker wrote:

Using strictly the Rules as Written, Clock Control can easily become devastating against technology. If a person overclocks the main processor of a computer's chipset (makes it run way too fast), it will over heat withing seconds, either shutting down as a safety feature or burning out.

Today's average cellular phone uses about 8 clock co-processors, plus the main clock display. You'd only need to hit the core processor's chips. It's much the same for every piece of electronics out there. ARCHIE-3? Oh yeah. Easy. Plus you don't actually need to see the clock itself, going by the power description.

Is that overpowered? Definitely, which is why most GMs wouldn't allow it to be used in such a manner. But it's good for a laugh.

even if the GM rules the system won't overheat, if the clock stops ticking, the computer stops thinking :P
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

So my slow motion control power can screw with electronics also??
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Shark_Force wrote:
wyrmraker wrote:

even if the GM rules the system won't overheat, if the clock stops ticking, the computer stops thinking :P

I think it comes down to how you define "Clock."

Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Majors:
Adapt to environment
Chameleon

Minors
Alter Physical Body
Supervision advanced sight
Underwater abilities
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Good solid character.
Underwater abilities is an awesome Power.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

best attempt, HU2 only:

minors:

extraordinary physical beauty
heightened sense of taste
heightened sense of touch

majors

control static electricity
holographic memory projection

there's nothing particularly special about the combination, i just happen to think that most of the individual powers are rather less useful by a noticeable margin than most of their type.

for example, extraordinary PB is not completely worthless... but compare it to, say, the ability to fly, or completely change your shape (including fingerprints) at a moment's notice... it's a lot harder to make a character with this set of abilities accomplish impressive things. really, in many cases, you'd be just as well off with a character that has no super powers whatsoever.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

+1 strike +40sdc
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

say652 wrote:Karmic power is a good power. Crazy bonuses.
Yet the best aspect is the penalties it gives your opponents. No bonuses to strike? Combine that with a natural AR.

say652 wrote:This one is an experiment.
Side effect. Increased mass.

Superhuman Strength.
Underwater abilities.
Heightened Sense of Hearing.
Radar.
Extraordinary physical endurance.

This guy's a tank, hardly unimpressive. Namor is disappoint.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Least was the adjective in the title Tor not useless.

Amd in rifts earth tanks get blown up on the daily.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

say652 wrote:Least was the adjective in the title Tor not useless.

Again, "Useless" IS the LEAST powerful.
Unless you can come up with a combo that's actually counterproductive or harmful.

LEAST
lēst/
1. smallest in amount, extent, or significance.

SmallEST.
Smallest.
The MOST small.
Not "Kinda small, maybe."

wyrmraker
Hero

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:
wyrmraker wrote:

Sorry, but I'm disagreeing again. "The character can stop, start, or adjust the timecounting/watching mechanism of watches, clocks, computers, alarms on a time system, counter, timers (including those in explosive devices, monitors, microwaves, stoves, and security vaults), and any timekeeping device." PB's version of 'clock' isn't limited to actual clocks, but rather any timekeeping device.

And if my character with Clock Control readjusts the various integrated circuit clocks to all run on different times, the central computer suddenly can't figure out how to move anything in relation to anything else. Stopping the timekeeping circuits means that systems shut down. Adjusting the timecounting/watching mechanism rapidly upwards means that the units heat up dramatically within a few seconds, causing the unit to shut down one way or another.

This is a strictly Rules As Written view.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

wyrmraker wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:
wyrmraker wrote:

Sorry, but I'm disagreeing again. "The character can stop, start, or adjust the timecounting/watching mechanism of watches, clocks, computers, alarms on a time system, counter, timers (including those in explosive devices, monitors, microwaves, stoves, and security vaults), and any timekeeping device." PB's version of 'clock' isn't limited to actual clocks, but rather any timekeeping device.

Then it depends on their definition of "timekeeping device." ;)

Return to “Rifts®”