Interesting article when it comes to P.S. levels

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Eclipse
Adventurer

Interesting article when it comes to P.S. levels

Unread post by Eclipse »

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... anzee.html

"But the "five times" figure was refuted 20 years after Bauman's experiments. In 1943, Glen Finch of the Yale primate laboratory rigged an apparatus to test the arm strength of eight captive chimpanzees. An adult male chimp, he found, pulled about the same weight as an adult man. Once he'd corrected the measurement for their smaller body sizes, chimpanzees did turn out to be stronger than humans—but not by a factor of five or anything close to it.

Repeated tests in the 1960s confirmed this basic picture. A chimpanzee had, pound for pound, as much as twice the strength of a human when it came to pulling weights. The apes beat us in leg strength, too, despite our reliance on our legs for locomotion.

How did we get to be the weaklings of the primate order? Our overall body architecture makes a difference: Even though chimpanzees weigh less than humans, more of their mass is concentrated in their powerful arms. But a more important factor seems to be the structure of the muscles themselves."

No particular question or point, I just found it interesting to see this assumption about the great apes that they had incredible superhuman strength relative to us, is greatly exaggerated.
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Interesting article when it comes to P.S. levels

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Well, we don't spend as much time swinging around from our arms, for one thing.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

The leg thing I find suprising though. I guess perhaps our bulky legs are made more for endurance running?

Then again, I have to wonder about the sample source. Who were the humans whose leg strength was being compared? Huge difference if we're comparing sprinters or power-squatters versus sedentary chair-people.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Tor wrote:The leg thing I find surprising though. I guess perhaps our bulky legs are made more for endurance running?

Then again, I have to wonder about the sample source. Who were the humans whose leg strength was being compared? Huge difference if we're comparing sprinters or power-squatters versus sedentary chair-people.

Yes to both. Humans are built for endurance running. In fact there is a form of hunting in Africa/Mexico where they run the quarry to total exhaustion/heatstroke, its called Persistence Hunting.

Yes if they tested the primates against the lab techs that would easily explain it. :lol:
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

The endurance of humanity makes us the hunters that won evolution. Physical power isn't everything, obviously.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

That is interesting. In Palladium that means the following

A Chimp that can actually lift say 200lbs, would only need a PS of 5 where as a human would need a PS of 10.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

jaymz wrote:That is interesting. In Palladium that means the following

A Chimp that can actually lift say 200lbs, would only need a PS of 5 where as a human would need a PS of 10.

How do you figure?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

If they are the equivalent of twice as strong as a human then would that not equate to their being able to lift double of what a human could lift?

PS 5 x 20 for lift x 2 for a chimp is 200lbs
PS 10 x 20 for lift for a human is 200lbs.

For simplicity you could just say they have the human ps equivalent of 10 though.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Alrik Vas wrote:The endurance of humanity makes us the hunters that won evolution. Physical power isn't everything, obviously.

Nope, its the tool use and verbal communication.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

Actually, it's a combination of many factors. After all, other human species had tools and verbal communication but didn't make it. In fact, chimps are tool makers and communicate verbally too, so that's not the whole picture.

Our bipedal, upright stance did play a major role - helped to keep our brains cool for one (on the savannah, there can be a 5+ degree centigrade temperature difference between crouched and standing, and cooler brains work more efficiently). Here's an interesting video that looks at the role the humble bottom played in our survival, and it touches on endurance running as well: http://youtu.be/xKg9Vl_Wg5U
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

jaymz wrote:If they are the equivalent of twice as strong as a human then would that not equate to their being able to lift double of what a human could lift?

For simplicity you could just say they have the human ps equivalent of 10 though.

or you know, they have the same x20 modifier as normal for the rules, but have twice the average PS score.. which is much less confusing..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

GB - Which the last line in that post I think would allude too......

\m/
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

rat_bastard wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:The endurance of humanity makes us the hunters that won evolution. Physical power isn't everything, obviously.

Nope, its the tool use and verbal communication.

But chimps communicate and use tools, heck sea otters use tools. I think it should be the development of tools and creation of languages. The apes, otters and other animals, just use what they can find and can't improve upon wither tools or the language they use.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

jaymz wrote:If they are the equivalent of twice as strong as a human then would that not equate to their being able to lift double of what a human could lift?

No they're either 6d6 PS or 3d6x2 PS. We don't bring in special multipliers vs human but give the species their own roll.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Eclipse wrote:http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2009/02/how_strong_is_a_chimpanzee.html

"But the "five times" figure was refuted 20 years after Bauman's experiments. In 1943, Glen Finch of the Yale primate laboratory rigged an apparatus to test the arm strength of eight captive chimpanzees. An adult male chimp, he found, pulled about the same weight as an adult man. Once he'd corrected the measurement for their smaller body sizes, chimpanzees did turn out to be stronger than humans—but not by a factor of five or anything close to it.

Repeated tests in the 1960s confirmed this basic picture. A chimpanzee had, pound for pound, as much as twice the strength of a human when it came to pulling weights. The apes beat us in leg strength, too, despite our reliance on our legs for locomotion.

How did we get to be the weaklings of the primate order? Our overall body architecture makes a difference: Even though chimpanzees weigh less than humans, more of their mass is concentrated in their powerful arms. But a more important factor seems to be the structure of the muscles themselves."

No particular question or point, I just found it interesting to see this assumption about the great apes that they had incredible superhuman strength relative to us, is greatly exaggerated.

Psssst *points at the Str. charts in ATB2*
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Eclipse wrote:http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2009/02/how_strong_is_a_chimpanzee.html

Psssst *points at the Str. charts in ATB2*

LoL you didn't do that quietly enough, I noticed and that's funny.

Return to “Rifts®”