Home made or leather MDC armor

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Riftmaker
Adventurer

Home made or leather MDC armor

Unread post by Riftmaker »

I know we have a few entry's on either home made or leather mdc armor in the books but i can't remember where to find the 1 or 2 that involved a dice roll to figure out how much MDC they have. Does this ring a bell for anything?
Last edited by Riftmaker on Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaid
Knight

Re: Hoe made or leather MDC armor

Unread post by kaid »

Riftmaker wrote:I know we have a few entry's on either home made or leather mdc armor in the books but i can't remember where to find the 1 or 2 that involved a dice roll to figure out how much MDC they have. Does this ring a bell for anything?

Rifts australia has some good hodgepodge armor creation info. I think similar rules show up in a few other places like the dinosaur swamp.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

the ley line walker has an entry for something kinda like that.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The only text that I know that covers MDC leather armor are in the Rifters. One of them being the Kezel article about them empowering leather to be MDC...
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

TheOttoman wrote:I came here to learn more about armor made by prostitutes.... (kicks dirt)

I thought he was talking about scraping the hide with garden/farm tools. :P
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Or skinning light mdc prostitutes :D reminds me of coalition basic training
Lol
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

say652 wrote:Or skinning light mdc prostitutes :D reminds me of coalition basic training
Lol

I try to avoid any leather skinned prostitutes

but killing prostitutes for their PPE is a time honored tradition. Usually you don't get too much, but when you get that hooker with a heart of gold, JACK POT!
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I thought this was about armor made by a mutant spider slave from Lone Star who is friends with a guy named Billy.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Tanning beds n Marlboro reds. Best curing for ho skin leather armor.
newtypechris
D-Bee

Re: Home made or leather MDC armor

Unread post by newtypechris »

Have you looked at Splynn Dimensional Market? there's a leather dealer in there...
Newtypechris
Gamer, GM, and owner of the Psionic "Telepathy: Self"
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

newtypechris wrote:Have you looked at Splynn Dimensional Market? there's a leather dealer in there...

Yep, and they'll probably make leather armor from the skin of your late enemy(or his/her family), or other sentient, if you bring in the material.
"Hey, Gargin! Like my leather cuirass? Feels real silky smooth...but you probably already know that, seeing as I had it made from your lover!" :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

The Leather Working skill and Field Armorer skill seem to be the most relevant. Other than that, I don't know and just feel too lazy to get out of my chair, walk the two feet to my bookshelf (that is falling apart anyway) get the books and take a look.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Riftmaker wrote:I know we have a few entry's on either home made or leather mdc armor in the books but i can't remember where to find the 1 or 2 that involved a dice roll to figure out how much MDC they have. Does this ring a bell for anything?

Off the top of my head, IIRC there is one in Juicer Uprising.

The last two pages in Rifts Canada has homemade armor bit, but no dice rolls.

Rifts Dinosaur Swamp pg78-81 has a few examples of random dice rolls, though I'm not sure if I would consider it home made armor and most items are flat.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Say 60mdc but as its no enviromental I would assign an ar.
Giomancer
D-Bee

Unread post by Giomancer »

In Rifts: Canada you have the Cartier-Fury Ranch, where they skin the Fury Beetles (MDC creatures) to make MDC armor out of their plates+skin, so it should be possible to do the exact same, given your critter is an MDC one and you can figure out how to tan the hide (Leather Working with an appropriate penalty, perhaps -20%?).

Not exactly a by-the-book answer, but a decent enough extrapolation given existing background.

Other than that, I'm sure SDC leather could be enchanted using some spell or other..

- Gio

PS: This did give me a great idea for my Wild Psi-stalker tribes' primary source of MDC armor.. Oni leather! Using their traditional [Oni, bakemono, other critter] claw knives or more advanced vibroblades.
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

We have used the following rules before:

Fury Beetle Armor

For a player to create Fury Beetle Armor, MDC Hide armor, or other natural based armors out of MDC leather they must do the following:

Purchase 10 feet square (10 ft x 10 ft) of MDC Hide or using Skin & Prepare Animal Hides skin an MDC Hide creature at a -10% until 10 feet square are created. This will allow you to skin one human sized creature, small or large. A failed roll means half of the material was lost in the failed attempt.
A second attempt may be made, but another failed roll means all skin is destroyed for use in Armor.

Note, one must use a cutting tool capable of cutting MDC flesh to skin an MDC creature.

Once MDC Hide is acquired, the builder must have one of three skills:
Leather Working -5%
Weapons Engineer -5%
Field Armorer -15%

Note, should a character has any two of these skills, then the penalty is removed for creation of a suit of armor. If a character have all three then they receive a +10% bonus.

A standard 10 ft x 10 ft piece of MDC hide sells for 10,000 credits. An additional 5000 credits of additional material (Common Economy +/- Flux) is required for building the armor suit to fit a human sized person. To create one suit of armor takes 80 hours of work.
The first failed roll means 5 feet square are destroyed in the process and 2500 credits (Common Economy +/- Flux) in additional material is required. It also will require another 40 hours of work. A second failed roll means all is lost and new MDC leather and additional materials are required to start over.

Armor Examples: Super-Hide Armor (JU p71), Fury Beetle Armor (CAN p192)

Return to “Rifts®”