Best magic user for an archer type character

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Re: Best magic user for an archer type character

Unread post by Incriptus »

Well there is alway the T-Archer from the Dimensional Market book
I also think a Temporal Warrior could be decked out in archery skills just fine
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Techno wizard. Arrows of magic net.
, invisible Arrows, arrows of paralysis.

Inbox memnock and ask nicely, he's the techno wizard ammunition genius.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

MortVent wrote:Looking at a mage type that can easily become a good archer.

Techno looked like a possible, or mystic. Ley Line walker and shifter each had options to make it okayish

But looking for something more wilderness scout style mage

The battle magus looks doable, but poses problems on it's own.

T-archer is the obvious one for some seriously bow focused magic.

Other good options are Paradox shaman as they get at I think level 2 a legendary spirit bow which is I think the longest ranged and biggest damage bow I have seen in the game at 1d4x10.

If you are looking for more wilderness scout style mages maybe check out biomancers from lemuria/south america they make amazingly good wilderness scouts and they can make biomancy bows that are very reasonable range damage 4d6MDC i believe.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

MortVent wrote:Problem with the T-archer is how are not still slaves, as for the shaman. elf character, hence wanting an arcane archer style occ

May work on tweaking the mystic or ley line walker to suit

If you want an elf and a shaman type character go biomancer. The south american version are literally jungle elves.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

So be a LLW with archery. Find a race that has good dex maybe a natural bow bonus (asgardian elf perhaps)

EDIT: Whoops I thought they had a bow bonus but they don't just a good PP and +1 to strike.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I think NMI had some hightech arrows, I remember seeing something a ywar or two ago. Wouldn't be too difficult to TECHNO WIZARD those puppies right up for devastating effect.

*cough* Techno wizard *cough*
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Mystic portal arrow.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

I would seriously consider a half-wizard longbowman with a few tattoo magic arrows. Your GM can do some hand wavium and say that you got them from a good Chang-ku dragon instead of as a splugorth slave. And 6 or less you are not a T-man. Its really nice to be able to always have arrows. The half Wiz is found in mysteries of magic and they are pretty neat. You stop progression as a wiz once you start being a longbowman but you can get a good compliment of spells. I have a half wiz thief in my game and he has a good compliment of spells. With a little GM hand wavium the limits of casting always at level one can be ignored and heck even let them learn new spells later (not automatic but if they can come up with the $$ to purchase) I would let my thief learn a new spell.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

Baron mugwort
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Baron mugwort »

What about a conjurer? Never ending arrows and a bow to boot! Subtle and resourceful you will never be without a tool or trick up your sleeve.

You can pick a few spells too :D
"Baron Mugwort, I think you are the official representative of the intrests of Giants in Rifts. Its a great job (full benefits!)." Argos.

http://www.kingsofrpg.com For all things RPG!
Contribute to the website with your own RPG advice, stories and adventures! barnonmugwort@ding-irl.com
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

A conjuror with a TW bow could be decent. Lots of PPE to use to charge various TW arrows and nothing much useful otherwise to spend it on.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Atlantean Techno Wizard.

Use tech arrows or your magic ones.
No sharpshooting bow but the character versatility makes up for that.
Devjannz
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Devjannz »

How about a Demi-God Long Bowman with the powers of a Ley Line Walker?
"Hurry, were running out of time!"

"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite; Zathras is finite; This....is wrong tool.

Susan Ivonnova and Zathras, Babylon 5 'War Without End'
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Devjannz wrote:How about a Demi-God Long Bowman with the powers of a Ley Line Walker?
Book legal and very good combo since you would know all invocation magic up to your level and be a longbowman...
Why didn't I think of that?!?! :nh:

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Techno-Wizard.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

MortVent wrote:
Devjannz wrote:How about a Demi-God Long Bowman with the powers of a Ley Line Walker?

Hmm, aren't demigods all human based? The character is meant to be an elven archer/caster type.

GM is okay with the lesser version that only gets the one ability power (forget which of the two is the one that can be a line walker, mind melter, occ)

Unfortunately Palladium's written way too much around humans so as presented demi-gods appear as they're supposed to somehow only be with a human-base even though that's really not in keeping with the nature of gods as seen in fantasy who breed with anything and produce demigod offspring combining the mortal parent (like an elf) with the divinity of a god.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

My "Archer"

Magic power category.
Techno wizard+Mega Hero.
Mega power:Dimensional Teleport.
Weakness:mutation growth. Metallic silver skin, metallic red hair, Yellow Eyes, scaly skin, prehensile feet&toes, ambidextrous, double jointed, powerful jaws&sharp teeth, retractable climbing claws.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

For more buffering add in rhinoceros humanoid and high gravity home world.
Crucible
Champion

Unread post by Crucible »

change Blad Mage to fit Archer, but realll it would LLW all day.
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

Playing Rifts with your five older children, PRICELESS.

See My New Campaign in story form
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126287
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Elemental Fusionist with W.P. Archery
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:Elemental Fusionist with W.P. Archery

That's a good thought, but he was also looking for the ability to learn a lot of spells.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Baron mugwort wrote:What about a conjurer? Never ending arrows and a bow
Plus the ability to inflict MD with the arrows is nice.

Also, makes me remember dis guy

The new movie with Dwayne Johnson also reminds me that Herakles is an Archer too...
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

sounds like fun. Should see if he will let you take any archery skills out of The Rifters.

rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Hope your gm Is ready for how incredibly high the strike and disarm bonuses get for a archer.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Syndicate
Adventurer

Unread post by Syndicate »

kaid wrote:
MortVent wrote:Looking at a mage type that can easily become a good archer.

Techno looked like a possible, or mystic. Ley Line walker and shifter each had options to make it okayish

But looking for something more wilderness scout style mage

The battle magus looks doable, but poses problems on it's own.

T-archer is the obvious one for some seriously bow focused magic.

Other good options are Paradox shaman as they get at I think level 2 a legendary spirit bow which is I think the longest ranged and biggest damage bow I have seen in the game at 1d4x10.

If you are looking for more wilderness scout style mages maybe check out biomancers from lemuria/south america they make amazingly good wilderness scouts and they can make biomancy bows that are very reasonable range damage 4d6MDC i believe.

I second the option of the Jungle Elf Biomancer from South America (World Book: 6).

-The Race has great starting P.P.E.
-Automatically a skilled Archer just by picking the race (and good with wilderness skills).
-Biomancer has limited spells, but plenty of P.P.E. (from race as well) and spells that compliment the Archer (Insect Leap, magical armor, Forest Camo), and as stated before, a magical "bio-bow".
-Additionally, the Jungle Elf is automatically a Psionist (picking even psionics that can help with Archery).
"What began as a gathering, ended as an organization."
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Jungle elves generally cannot use high tech tools and bio bows only shoot bio energy, they have no string making them pretty limited. The cool thing about being an archer in rifts is the sheer variety of different methods available to harry an opponent, and jungle elf pigeonholes you a lot.
Sardukar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Sardukar »

Scathatch and Filidh Druids would probably make good archers. You might need to bend the rules slightly to give them more advanced weapon skills like Kyudo or sharpshooter skills with the bow, but they could make and enchant a variety of arrows and pump themselves up on enchanted drugs/herbs.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

RicheousWeasel wrote:Seriously, just go with a Techno Wizard. They fire spells from any weapon. You can use the bow to fire a regular arrow, OR cast firebolt through it at the target. The OCC also gets a HUGE list of spells to start with, and can learn/purchase new ones just like a Line Walker.

Actually oddly enough TW can only purchase to learn spells later and don't get any automatic additional spells per level. They do get a good starting bunch of spells and if the GM permits they should have enough stuff to trade to buy new spells but it depends on the GM and how easy/hard they make it to acquire new spells.

On a similar note to the TW an eco wizard can make a good archer. Most of the types of specialty arrows you can make with TW you can do via eco wizardy and they are more wilderness oriented.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would have to agree that the magic items a TW can make to replicate magic spells through a bow or arrow would be the best bet if you are just looking at Rifts canon.

Outside of Rifts canon the is the Diabolist and Ward magic which the mage can prepare before hand onto arrows and the arrows are not set off by his touching them.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Rifts®”