question about new occ

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tikk
D-Bee

question about new occ

Unread post by Tikk »

hi everyone. I am new to the Rifts system so please keep that in mind in case you find my questions tedious.
I am currently playing a vorloc battle magus level 11 and slayer 3. I switched to slayer to get the special perks vs undead since my character hates them (part of my background). I am looking for another magic based class to turn to that wont decrease my current casting abilities. my character is a sage/lawyer type that wants to rid the world of undead (its a long story). Can you please recommend an occ that would combine well with what I have?
thanks in advance
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: question about new occ

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Slayer??? is that the full class name? What book is it in?
The 1st two classes that come to mind is the Psi-Slayer class, and the True Atlantian style T-man. undead slayer. Then there is the Demon Slayers and Dragon Slayers from the Rifters. I don't think it is the Psi-Slayer class so I won't get into it. Nor do I thinkg you are talking about the rifter classes. ...but the TA T-man class.

If your char is an Undead Slayer class and you are looking for a magic class...the question comes to mind which body parts got chopped off to bring the Magic Tattoo count under 6 tatts?*rhetorical*

The Undead Hunter in YinSloth gives both good fighter skills and a bit of magic to go with it. And it would stay within the theme of hunting the Undead.
--------
Vorloc? Is that not the name of a Babylon 5 race?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

What is a Vorloc?
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

I think it's a monster from LotD, but can't be sure because my LotD 1 book is inacessible on short notice and I don't have the 2.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Tikk
D-Bee

Unread post by Tikk »

a vorloc is one of the dying raced from the palladium world book 12, chaos lands. they were created by the old ones.
the slayer is in the rifts mystic Russia book.
sorry again. im new to the game and this system so im not familiar yet with what info I need to supply when asking a question.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I recall a Slayer magical OCC in Mystic (or was it Warlords) of Russia but while they hunted the supernatural I do not remember any specific undead bonuses...

Perhaps it is the Templar Undead Slayer in Shadows of Light.

Getting back to Mystic Russia, I would recommend the Ecto-Hunter. They are able to damage evil essence frags, including vamps, which I think means they could actually stab a vampire who is in mist form and still hurt it, even if it was just with a bucket.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Tikk
D-Bee

Unread post by Tikk »

Thanks all for the replies. I'll do homework on all the above mentioned occs to see which works bbest
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Where (continent) is this char located at the moment? That would give what classes are available to the char. to change to.
Another option would to change back to the Battle Magus.*shrugs*
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Tikk
D-Bee

Unread post by Tikk »

*scratches kitty under the chin*
Im currently in Merctown.
My GM wont allow me to go back to Battle Magus for some reason.
Tikk
D-Bee

Unread post by Tikk »

ok, I am thinking about a spatial mage but im not sure how handy the spells are that come with the occ.
I may just make an entirely new character.
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by PSI-Lence »

i'm left wondering how new you are and yet have an 11/3 character? seems the GM might have gave you "x" levels to start which to me would just make learning the system harder from the begining

ley line walker should be good though to open up a lot of options, but honestly in like 18 years of playing i don't think i have ever decided to dual (or triple) class
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol
Tikk
D-Bee

Unread post by Tikk »

PSI-Lence wrote:i'm left wondering how new you are and yet have an 11/3 character? seems the GM might have gave you "x" levels to start which to me would just make learning the system harder from the begining

ley line walker should be good though to open up a lot of options, but honestly in like 18 years of playing i don't think i have ever decided to dual (or triple) class

I have been playing for 1.5 months now. he started me with the battle magus 11 slayer was my choice at level 1. he said I can dual class.. I got the other 2 levels from playing.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Tikk wrote:
PSI-Lence wrote:i'm left wondering how new you are and yet have an 11/3 character? seems the GM might have gave you "x" levels to start which to me would just make learning the system harder from the begining

I have been playing for 1.5 months now. he started me with the battle magus 11 slayer was my choice at level 1. he said I can dual class.. I got the other 2 levels from playing.

You *started* as a level 11 Battle Magus?
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Svartalf
Champion

Weird choice of starting class and level for a rank beginner...
Tikk
D-Bee

Unread post by Tikk »

it was not my choice. I was following the GM's advice.
either way I have been doing as much reading as possible since then to learn the system.
I think I graduated to novice status which in my mind is just above noob.
I think I now have enough knowledge to convince him to let me go back to Battle Magus.
Thanks everyone for the input and advice.
Svartalf
Champion

I'm not questioning you, it's your GM I find weird for tossing a new player into 12th level adventures as a start into RPing, and for foisting a relatively complex character class to manage like the battle magus on you.

If you do intend to play that battle magus, do your homework and learn your powerss and spells well.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Tikk wrote:ok, I am thinking about a spatial mage but im not sure how handy the spells are that come with the occ.
You mean people become spatial mages for some reason other than an alternative to an Astral Mage as a Realm-creator?

Tikk wrote:My GM wont allow me to go back to Battle Magus for some reason.
If a GM won't let you advance as a battle mage but would let you become a spatial mage... then I am perplexed by said GM.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

If you have access to Madhaven or Rifter 36, I recommend one of the Mystic Knights of the White Rose. Rifter 36 has the Reconciler which hunt ghosts, entities and monsters.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Tikk
D-Bee

Unread post by Tikk »

thanks galactus. ill go to my local game store and see if they have it
Syndicate
Adventurer

Unread post by Syndicate »

I'm a bit late to the party...but better late than never. Firstly, it sounds like you will be an excellent player for your GM. Hat's off to you for coming to the forums to do some research on the character you'd like to play. Likely, you've already settled on something but I thought I'd still "chime-in" with some recommendations.

1) If you get a chance to flip through some books, I recommend looking through World Book 1 (new edition) and Dark Conversions to study up on the undead. Primarily, Vampires will likely be what the GM throws at you. Learn a few things about their weaknesses so your character can address them accordingly.

2) Dual-classing has a few "kinks" in it that can make it challenging for the GM to properly build-out your character as you progress in levels. Much easier to stick with a race and a class.

3) The Volroc (Land of the Damned 1: Chaos lands) are cool-looking and is good choice for fighting a Vampire (it would be difficult for them to turn you).

4) Here is a quick list of O.C.C.s that I believe are "geared" better for fighting supernatural evil and the undead:
-Sea Inquisitor (World Book: 7 Underseas) Why? x2 damage to supernatural evil and other cool things.
-Undead Slayer (World Book 2: Atlantis) Why? ...it's in the name my friend....it's in the name...*limitation* you'll have to play the race "Atlantian" and not a Volroc
-Anti-Monster (World Book 6: South America) Why? You're a magical anti-supernatural cyborg. *limitation* you will also have to forgo your racial preference.

...and there are more still...so if you're not happy with what you choose, you have other options. Good luck and happy hunting!

:D
"What began as a gathering, ended as an organization."
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

I'm surprised no-one has corrected your misconceptions of multi-classing in Rifts yet.
It doesn't really matter what O.C.C. you choose, none of them (aside from Bionics or Tattoo Magic or anything else that I am forgetting that explicitly states it destroys spellcasting abilities) will lower the spellcasting abilities that you already have and choosing another spellcasting class isn't important as it will not increase your spell proficiency as your casting ability is level 11 and you would need to reach level 12 before it increases any further (Which is very unlikely, especially considering how much it seems you like to change classes).
Having said all of that, the only requirement you seem to want is increased ability versus undead and for that I'd recommend a Cold Blooded augmentation from Mercenary Adventures.
Svartalf
Champion

He's a newb, and his GM obviously does a lot of house ruling, especially on that subject, so no need to bother him with a matter that GM fiat may make useless anyway.
Tikk
D-Bee

Unread post by Tikk »

Syndicate, thank you for the compliment. I want to give this system my all so I can fully enjoy it. I am glad I found this site. I have answered so many of my questions by searching old threads on here.
My GM does many house rules some I have issues with, others not.
I have spent the last week reading different books I purchased from my local game store, also browsing these posts and now have a better understanding of everything.
Thanks again to everyone who replied.
P.S. Giant2005, the first OCC was not my choice. The second was. The skill increase per level wasn't explained to me in game. Now I know better.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Giant2005 wrote:It doesn't really matter what O.C.C. you choose, none of them (aside from Bionics or Tattoo Magic or anything else that I am forgetting that explicitly states it destroys spellcasting abilities) will lower the spellcasting abilities that you already have

I feel like I remember reading some other ones that negated magical abilities but can't place it at the time...

Giant2005 wrote:choosing another spellcasting class isn't important as it will not increase your spell proficiency as your casting ability is level 11 and you would need to reach level 12 before it increases any further (Which is very unlikely, especially considering how much it seems you like to change classes).
It can be important in other ways besides experience level. Some classes like the Shifter can pay half cost for certain spells, and some like the Lord Magus have range/duration multipliers that could be useful.

Return to “Rifts®”