MD ammo

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dante144
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: "Jesus saves, everyone else takes damage"

MD ammo

Unread post by dante144 »

What was the name of the MD damage ammo guys? The faction that converts SDC weapons to MDC weapons? What book can that info be found in? I am pretty sure I have the books, just a lot to look through.

Thanks,

-D
"Jesus saves, everyone else takes damage" Girls t-shirt at Megacon
Kagashi
Champion

Re: MD ammo

Unread post by Kagashi »

Golden Age Weaponsmiths converts ancient vehicles into MDC vehicles, but I think you are asking about Wellington Industries which produce Ramjet Rounds so an SDC AK-47 can deal MD. Both can be found in Rifts Mercenaries and Merc Ops.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Ramjet Rounds are also listed in the Game Master Guide and Mercenaries.

Armor Piercing RamJet (APRJ) rounds are described in the description of the NS-11S shotgun (GMG p157 and JU p???...but I understand the GMG is a nerfed version compared to the original printing in JU).

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

flatline wrote:Ramjet Rounds are also listed in the Game Master Guide and Mercenaries.

Armor Piercing RamJet (APRJ) rounds are described in the description of the NS-11S shotgun (GMG p157 and JU p???...but I understand the GMG is a nerfed version compared to the original printing in JU).

--flatline

Page 74. It is one of my favoritest weapons ever.

Also, it definitely got nerfed in GMG; quite a lot of Carella's work had that happen to it.
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

They are also listed in the Merc Ops book pp. 98-100. Some of these like the 15mm sniper rifle are brutal!
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

15mm sniper rifle, eh? Must have missed that when I went through the book.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

There are also explosive rounds that do a uniform 1d6 MD (GMG) and magic rounds (enchanted by the enchant weapon: lesser spell) that do a uniform 2d6 md
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Hystrix wrote:They are also listed in the Merc Ops book pp. 98-100. Some of these like the 15mm sniper rifle are brutal!

I wonder why they call it a sniper rifle, it's more of a light machinegun, at least for MD applications... You won't fire many single shots from that weapon at MDC foes.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

Alrik Vas wrote:15mm sniper rifle, eh? Must have missed that when I went through the book.

wow i miss this too what the damage and page again ty
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Svartalf wrote:
Hystrix wrote:They are also listed in the Merc Ops book pp. 98-100. Some of these like the 15mm sniper rifle are brutal!

I wonder why they call it a sniper rifle, it's more of a light machinegun, at least for MD applications... You won't fire many single shots from that weapon at MDC foes.

probably becuase the person who created that set of weapons was using a very non-canon version of the combat rules.. notice for example all of those guns use non-standard burst sizes, and do damage as if 100% of the rounds hit... considering the RUE burst rules had already been out for some time, and the RMB's burst rules don't match it either, the weapons had to be based on some very unique houserules..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Svartalf
Champion

Now would that be Pat Nowak or carmen Bellaire? Does it look like what's done in Splicers?
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

I think a 15mm HEDUAPRJDS (not a real thing, but a High Explosive, Depleted Uranium, Armor Piercing, Ram Jet, Discarding Sabot round) should do around 7d6md, and deal double damage on a modified 17+, and cost around 1200CR a pop. That's a rifle I'd use to reach out and touch someone.

That's my call though, houseruled (though loosely based off stuff from the books). :D
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Svartalf
Champion

Careful, some people here might not see it's humour and take you seriously on that one... :badbad:
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

ZINO wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:15mm sniper rifle, eh? Must have missed that when I went through the book.

wow i miss this too what the damage and page again ty

Merc Ops pg99-100:
WI-SR15 15mm Sniper Rifle
WI-MG15 "Viper" 15mm Anti-Infantry Machine-Gun

Damage varies by round type (SD and MD)
Alrik Vas
Knight

Svartalf wrote:Careful, some people here might not see it's humour and take you seriously on that one... :badbad:

Well, I do have an NPC who uses something similar. And if a player wanted a piece of hardware like that, I'd let them dig for it or build it if they had the right skills, time and materials. I tend to do a lot of stuff like that. There are a lot of things i'm in the "why not?" camp for, but other things I'm like "whoa, easy there turbo" with. :P

Nox Equites
Explorer

Unread post by Nox Equites »

Using the original printing of Mercenaries, the upgrading of archaic designs gets brutal when you consider that replacing the warheads from a Hydra 70 Rocket launcher found on Cobra and Apache combat choppers. A nice simple to calculate 2 lbs of NG 6 Plastique creates a munition that does 4d4x10+40 with the range of a short range missile. It just gets worse with the dumb bombs. Even the mk 81 has 96 pounds of explosive doing 192d4x10+1920. Enough to devastate main battle tanks. Who needs accuracy when you can convert a stratospheric bomber to MDC and carpet bomb an area with nothing but Medium range or Long missiles being a threat? Sure this means having air superiority, but if your enemy is not one of the major powers you won't have much to worry about. All of this ignores the power of Combat engineers to make territory difficult to cross.
Alrik Vas
Knight

There's a lot of kaboom out there. The question is how much of it is immediately useful to a party on their adventures?

Sure, there have been games where some serious dakka played a role, but they aren't the norm.

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

glitterboy2098 wrote:that set of weapons was using a very non-canon version of the combat rules.. notice for example all of those guns use non-standard burst sizes, and do damage as if 100% of the rounds hit...
It doesn't break the rules to have more efficient bursts. 100% burst hitting has also been around since the main book, if you consider laser pulse weapons like the L-20 pulse rifle (RMBp225).

In fact, any weapon with 10 shots also has 100% burst efficiency on short bursts (use 20% shots, do double damage) and prior to CB1 capping the long/full burst multiples, had full efficiency on those as well.

Since the cap, you need a payload of 7 shots to get 100% full burst efficiency, and a payload of 6 shots to get 100% long burst efficiency.

Of course, if you have a payload BELOW these caps (such as with the NG-P7 particle beam originally, and post-cap the NG-E12 plasma gun in Mercs100 while doing short/full bursts) then bursting actually makes you inflict MORE damage per shot with bursts than with singles. Of course you still lose accuracy so it may not be advisable.

glitterboy2098 wrote:considering the RUE burst rules had already been out for some time, and the RMB's burst rules don't match it either, the weapons had to be based on some very unique houserules..

RUE has new rules for calculating strike bonuses/penalties for bursts, but in reading p360-362 I am not able to find any new rules for calculating the damage so I assume we use 2/3/7 per CB unless otherwise indicated.

Although it seems that in most cases, damage is either 'single shot only' or with predefined burst damage rather than relying on single shot multipliers. But RUE doesn't have all the guns, so ones not there presumably still work by multiple rules.

One could also opt to treat the new RUE versions of some weapons as additional versions rather than pretending that the original burst-capable guns no longer exist.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

lasers get 100%.. but these are projectiles. those get 66% at best.

and the new burst rules are found in the WP's themselves. assualt rifles and SMG's get a 3 round burst for x2 damage, and a 6 round burst for X3..

sadly MG's are currently stuck with an "example burst damage" that seems to assume your firing .22 pistol ammo, instead of simple modifiers, but things can be adjusted in house rules based on the assualt rifle damages.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Lasers do not always get 100%, that's just a property of SOME narrow-pulse weapons. Projectiles have no 'best' cap. Some automatic handguns with low ammunition actually do more damage per round when firing bursts too.

Specific burst damage under weapons isn't 'new burst rules', it's simply an override, which some have always had, to varying degrees of efficiency.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Alrik Vas
Knight

hrm...66%...if the old schol SAMAS railgun were that efficient, it would average 66 damage isntead of 25 (2.5 damage per round mathmatically average, 40 round burst = 100 damage, 66% is easy to see from there). Too bad they don't work with that rule.

WIGL-20 I think does a 10 round burst, the damage listed for a frag burst is 2d4x10, average is 40 damage. Though each round is 4d6, so 12 average, 10 rounds = 120, 79ish damage is what it should deal if it were that efficient.

I like this version better, but the weapons are printed the way they are. /sad

dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Alrik Vas wrote:hrm...66%...if the old schol SAMAS railgun were that efficient, it would average 66 damage isntead of 25 (2.5 damage per round mathmatically average, 40 round burst = 100 damage, 66% is easy to see from there). Too bad they don't work with that rule.

WIGL-20 I think does a 10 round burst, the damage listed for a frag burst is 2d4x10, average is 40 damage. Though each round is 4d6, so 12 average, 10 rounds = 120, 79ish damage is what it should deal if it were that efficient.

I like this version better, but the weapons are printed the way they are. /sad

I thought that the WIGL-20 also covered a larger area on a burst?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Alrik Vas
Knight

It can, but the burst damage still isn't efficient as it could be. Mostly because the kill radius is to small. If they want to fit all that boom into a small area, it should be deadlier.

Return to “Rifts®”