Character Generator

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: Character Generator

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

If you have a real pitch, you should check with some of the Mods. They can give you contact information, or at least point you to the right channels.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

two potential problems i see here:

1) palladium has historically been pitched numerous character generation programs. and has not accepted any of the offers to date, as far as we can tell.

2) such a program requires consistently applied rules. trying to make a computer understand how to run palladium games sounds like a nightmare to me.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Shark_Force wrote:such a program requires consistently applied rules. trying to make a computer understand how to run palladium games sounds like a nightmare to me.

That's kinda why I want them to try, mwahahaha. Feel our pain, authors and devs!! :evil:
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Shark_Force wrote:two potential problems i see here:

1) palladium has historically been pitched numerous character generation programs. and has not accepted any of the offers to date, as far as we can tell.

2) such a program requires consistently applied rules. trying to make a computer understand how to run palladium games sounds like a nightmare to me.

Palladium doeshave a buggy version of a character generator (for Rifts) up on their main site's cutting room floor for a while ago. If one can access MS Access files one can add additional material to the tables.

http://www.palladium-megaverse.com/cutt ... cense.html
(agree and it will take you to another page to download the manual and other 3 Zip files, it was originally intended for floppy drive days. I have not tested the download links.)
Alrik Vas
Knight

Well, the character generator doesn't have to have stats and explanations for everything. If it was made with the intention that you own the books so the generator itself doesn't have to give you all the information and just plugs numbers, it would be fine.

Plus, with all the illegal downloading of PDF's, I think their revenue stream is as stunted as it's going to be. Also, if there was a good character generator, it might reinvigorate interest in these games. Most of their fans aren't the younger crowd and they need youth to make a profit.

BuzzardB
Explorer

Unread post by BuzzardB »

Alrik Vas wrote:Plus, with all the illegal downloading of PDF's, I think their revenue stream is as stunted as it's going to be. Also, if there was a good character generator, it might reinvigorate interest in these games. Most of their fans aren't the younger crowd and they need youth to make a profit.

I would certainly concur with that. Making one though would be a pretty huge undertaking.

Return to “Rifts®”