E-clips for multi guns or not?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: E-clips for multi guns or not?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Unless the e-clip has a specific name like the russian and european e-clips then they are considered to be standardized.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

zombietots wrote:Hey everyone. New Rifts GM here. Just curious as to whether an E-clip is standard for all laser weapons or are they specific, Or is it by brand like all Wilks, NG, Triax, etc.? :?

They are regionally generic. Pretty much all the north american manufacturers use a standard model based off a prerifts design so it works with most japanese/new navy/triax weaponry.

There are a few odd balls like coalition canister clips which are not usable by all weapons and things like the triax front loading clip which is a bit of a different design although adapters for that can be obtained.

When you start going farther afield the E-clips may not work although may be adaptable to work.

Russia uses some very different clip designs and would require an adapter to function with triax or north american weapons.

South america nations are a bit of a mishmash some use stuff that is compatible but others use alien or non standard clips.

Atlantis/phenoix empire use alien clips

Naurni weapons that are not ammunition based I believe use a 3 galaxy style eclip and would require an adapter to use normal eclips although they may sell some earth pre modified weapons I cannot recall off the top of my head although typically if you are getting one of their guns you are getting their plasma cartridge weapons so not really applicable.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

And a decent Operator should be able to kludge up a workable adaptor for most Earth-tech e-clips.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

zombietots wrote:Hey everyone. New Rifts GM here. Just curious as to whether an E-clip is standard for all laser weapons or are they specific, Or is it by brand like all Wilks, NG, Triax, etc.? :?

Yes. :lol: :bandit:
this has not been consistently applied the few times it has come up in the books. We know that SOME weapons use their own proprietary eclips (mechanoids, arhkons, and kittani spring to mind) but mainly its not addressed. This is likely due to the fact that palladium places very little interest in logisitics. Eclips work, grenades work, missiles work....so that there is less book keeping. Due to the lack of a clear canon statement either way you are pretty much free to make any decision you like.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Unless the e-clip has a specific name like the russian and european e-clips then they are considered to be standardized.

This is pretty much the consensus on the boards, despite any artwork which clearly shows different clips being used. Most people also do not consider art work canon.

Personally, unless it says its compatible, I do not think it should be. I came to that conclusion based off of the fact that real world weapons rarely have interchangeable magazines and I have some faith in artwork as well. But I am by far in the minority in that point of view and end up conforming to the GMs perspective even though I dont think it should be that way.

Plus as an official game mechanic: eliakon is spot on.

eliakon wrote:This is likely due to the fact that palladium places very little interest in logisitics. Eclips work, grenades work, missiles work....so that there is less book keeping.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

In my Rifts, nearly every e-clip is different from another unless they're state-produced arms for a national military (many Triax and CS e-clips are universal throughout their forces).
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Actually it does state in a few places the compatibility. Most of the tech powers stuff is largely compatible eclip wise because almost all are from golden age designs and nobody saw much reason to recreate a perfectly good wheel. It also is a logistical issue the less different types of eclips around the better your troops can scavenge extra ammo off fallen opponents if necessary.

Most of the remaining major tech powers either are remnants of golden age northern eagle allies/nations or build using NEMA tech/plans.

The ones that arn't are either alien or using tech from foreign non allied powers.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

kaid wrote:Actually it does state in a few places the compatibility. Most of the tech powers stuff is largely compatible eclip wise because almost all are from golden age designs and nobody saw much reason to recreate a perfectly good wheel. It also is a logistical issue the less different types of eclips around the better your troops can scavenge extra ammo off fallen opponents if necessary.

Most of the remaining major tech powers either are remnants of golden age northern eagle allies/nations or build using NEMA tech/plans.

The ones that arn't are either alien or using tech from foreign non allied powers.

Can you recall where this is actually addressed? I have no intention of sifting through a hundred or so un-indexed books to find a couple of obscure citations.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

eliakon wrote:
kaid wrote:Actually it does state in a few places the compatibility. Most of the tech powers stuff is largely compatible eclip wise because almost all are from golden age designs and nobody saw much reason to recreate a perfectly good wheel. It also is a logistical issue the less different types of eclips around the better your troops can scavenge extra ammo off fallen opponents if necessary.

Can you recall where this is actually addressed? I have no intention of sifting through a hundred or so un-indexed books to find a couple of obscure citations.

I know warlords of russia specifically talks about the russian eclips and the cross compatibility or lack there of. Triax/NGR1 talks about clip compatibility I believe between their and CS models. I think the RUE talks about the compatibility of clips between north american powers but I am at work so don't have it handy to look it up at the moment.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Kagashi wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Unless the e-clip has a specific name like the russian and european e-clips then they are considered to be standardized.

This is pretty much the consensus on the boards, despite any artwork which clearly shows different clips being used. Most people also do not consider art work canon.

Personally, unless it says its compatible, I do not think it should be. I came to that conclusion based off of the fact that real world weapons rarely have interchangeable magazines and I have some faith in artwork as well. But I am by far in the minority in that point of view and end up conforming to the GMs perspective even though I dont think it should be that way.

Well that error comes from looking at e-clips like they're bullet magazines instead of batteries, there's no reason for there to be hundreds of incompatible styles of batteries for everything. Mechanical guns using bullets have design restrictions that the electrical weapons don't have.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Yeah, it is mentioned in several books, but the idea just doesn't sit right with me. Triax makes guns for the NGR, they've been doing it a while. It's reasonable to believe their new weapons and old weapons have compatible e-clips. Same goes with the CS and their new and old weapons. What doesn't make sense to me is that these two militaries would have weapons that have compatible e-clips with one another.

Triax was making weapons prior to the cataclysm as well, and they were making them for the German military, why would they make their ammunition compatible with a potential enemy? If you can scavange their ammunition, they can do the same to you. Wars are about logistics, if your ability to produce outpaces your opponent, you have a huge advantage. If you are producing items that are compatible withy your enemy's ability to make war and they steal/salvage it, then you really produced it for them, not yourself.

Independant companies like NG and Wilks might make their weapons compatible, but most today don't. You know who makes compatible magazines for modern weapons? Third parties, not the manufacturer. It could be a decent business practice in Rifts to do so anyway, as in, you buy the gun that works with the "standard" e-clip, but then there has to be a standard e-clip, and to make a steeper profit, I don't think they would.

Naruni works on this model, because of cartidges, and they've been in business for a while, and they're a competitive force across the megaverse.

Though, to restate, yes, the books say it is done this way, and it's likely for record keeping or to cut PC's a break, I just don't personally agree with it and run it different.

and to respond to Nightmask's last post:

I think that different batteries could be an issue. It's clear that certain guns use different amounts of power from e-clips. If the ammunition isn't up to task, the thing might not even fire. Then there are also the issues of interface. A port might be shaped different or might have too many points of contact.

Physical issues can happen when energy is involved because you still need a way to deliver that energy.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

The standard for e clips was a worldwide thing (but for Russian g clips), like the laser resistant armor and glitter boy designs...
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Alrik Vas wrote:Yeah, it is mentioned in several books, but the idea just doesn't sit right with me. Triax makes guns for the NGR, they've been doing it a while. It's reasonable to believe their new weapons and old weapons have compatible e-clips. Same goes with the CS and their new and old weapons. What doesn't make sense to me is that these two militaries would have weapons that have compatible e-clips with one another.

Triax was making weapons prior to the cataclysm as well, and they were making them for the German military, why would they make their ammunition compatible with a potential enemy? If you can scavange their ammunition, they can do the same to you. Wars are about logistics, if your ability to produce outpaces your opponent, you have a huge advantage. If you are producing items that are compatible withy your enemy's ability to make war and they steal/salvage it, then you really produced it for them, not yourself.

Independant companies like NG and Wilks might make their weapons compatible, but most today don't. You know who makes compatible magazines for modern weapons? Third parties, not the manufacturer. It could be a decent business practice in Rifts to do so anyway, as in, you buy the gun that works with the "standard" e-clip, but then there has to be a standard e-clip, and to make a steeper profit, I don't think they would.

Naruni works on this model, because of cartidges, and they've been in business for a while, and they're a competitive force across the megaverse.

Though, to restate, yes, the books say it is done this way, and it's likely for record keeping or to cut PC's a break, I just don't personally agree with it and run it different.

I think that different batteries could be an issue. It's clear that certain guns use different amounts of power from e-clips. If the ammunition isn't up to task, the thing might not even fire. Then there are also the issues of interface. A port might be shaped different or might have too many points of contact.

Physical issues can happen when energy is involved because you still need a way to deliver that energy.

You have to realize that Triax is basically a golden age company that survived to the current time and the CS is built upon pre rifts factories and using the same tech. Germany and NEMA were allies and so as with today some attempt at standardization of munitions/logistics supplies occurred. It is also why Japans weapons use compatible eclips because all three of these powers started from the same designs. Now each of those powers has some less compatible varients like the forward facing eclip and the canister clip but in general short and long eclips are the same as what nema used in the golden age.

It is why it also makes sense that russias eclips are not directly compatible because unlike japan and germany they were not a NEMA ally.
Nightmask
Palladin

Alrik Vas wrote:Yeah, it is mentioned in several books, but the idea just doesn't sit right with me. Triax makes guns for the NGR, they've been doing it a while. It's reasonable to believe their new weapons and old weapons have compatible e-clips. Same goes with the CS and their new and old weapons. What doesn't make sense to me is that these two militaries would have weapons that have compatible e-clips with one another.

While I haven't read up on the political affiliations in the Golden Age Germany I don't believe really had reasons to act like North America was an enemy and much of the conglomerated miltary/police force activity in the Golden Age would have good selective pressures to ensure everyone used the same batteries for powering those weapons. Plus isn't ammunition pretty standard so that often you can and have in RL simply taken up enemy ammo to reload your own weapons? Yes if one side can scavenge the other it helps the scavenger but not like soldiers haven't done that before (even if it backfired sometimes because the scavenged weapons had such distinctive sounds as to draw friendly fire but not such an issue with energy weapons) and making things incompatible can work against you.

Alrik Vas wrote:Independant companies like NG and Wilks might make their weapons compatible, but most today don't. You know who makes compatible magazines for modern weapons? Third parties, not the manufacturer. It could be a decent business practice in Rifts to do so anyway, as in, you buy the gun that works with the "standard" e-clip, but then there has to be a standard e-clip, and to make a steeper profit, I don't think they would.

True but those issues are different than those of a mechanical weapon, and just like in RL you have devices that put a 9v into it and it lasts X amount of time but something else it may last only half as long due to the energy demands but you're still using a 9v battery interchangeably between both. Energy weapons and E-clips are pretty much in the same case, some energy weapons demand more from the same battery so it doesn't last as long as it does in other weapons but it's the same battery in each.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Nightmask
Palladin

kaid wrote:

You have to realize that Triax is basically a golden age company that survived to the current time and the CS is built upon pre rifts factories and using the same tech. Germany and NEMA were allies and so as with today some attempt at standardization of munitions/logistics supplies occurred. It is also why Japans weapons use compatible eclips because all three of these powers started from the same designs. Now each of those powers has some less compatible varients like the forward facing eclip and the canister clip but in general short and long eclips are the same as what nema used in the golden age.

It is why it also makes sense that russias eclips are not directly compatible because unlike japan and germany they were not a NEMA ally.

Considering the issues in creating those variant E-clip designs it's possible that the technology involved in energy storage in e-clips has kind of plateaued so they're having trouble making any significant advances, so have been kind of stuck with that standardized design for most things. It's only been in recent years in Rifts terms that they've introduced those canister and F-SE e-clips after all, even when ones like Triax have been around to try and develop it and highly motivated to do so since the collapse.

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

One also has to look that until the last couple decades in the games time line nearly all major tech powers were using pre rifts designs in weaponry and power armor/vehicles.

Most of the original CS weapons were slightly changed versions of NEMA standard issue weaponry. Wilks was using pre rifts designs in the original pre rifts wilks factory and NG was using stuff scavenged from similar sources. The samson being a canadian pre rifts design and likely a lot of the NG weapons were from the same location they discovered the samson plans.

Triax is just starting to phase out some of its older models like the forager and upgrade its pre rifts armors like the predator.

In the most current weapons you are starting to see newer variant clips like the cannister/NG power packs/forward mounting eclips and some others but those are all very recent so the bulk of eclips on the market fit a standard model because until recently game speaking most tech weapons were at best 2 generations removed from pre rifts standardized military designs.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Well, the 5.56 is universally used, yeah. Taking this as an example, it means that a FAMAS and an M4 can both fire the same round.

Okay, so a CP-40 uses 19MJ a shot, we'll say a TX-whatever uses the same.

Are the magazines actually the same? Do they still fit with each other? Even in allied used weapons, this isn't always the case. Yeah, they'll use the same round, but you still have to fit them into a different mag. The point is that all energy weapons use the same ammunition, so the argument there doesn't make much sense.

The actual size, shape and energy delivery systems might be different for all of these.

However, kaid, you make a good point of saying that Germany, NEMA and Japan were all allied. If that's true, then I can see it. Yet I also think that designs can change. After all, aren't the Chaos Earth weapons not as developed as the Rifts counterparts? It doesn't necessitate an e-clip change at all, but I'm just throwin' crap out there at this point. :P

Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Except of course that as time went, there would be greater standardisation among NEMA allies, hence Germany, Japan, and South America using compatible e clips like those used for American Empire weaponry
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Nightmask wrote:Well that error comes from looking at e-clips like they're bullet magazines instead of batteries, there's no reason for there to be hundreds of incompatible styles of batteries for everything. Mechanical guns using bullets have design restrictions that the electrical weapons don't have.

so try going to plug in your american computer into a hungarian electrical outlet. or an austrialian one. just because they use electricity doesn't make them universally compatible. the connectors need to be laid out the right way and the current voltages and amperages need to match. otherwise it won't work.. and simple not working is the good result. bad results would be things like fires as a result of current mismatches.

heck, even thinking of them as batteries, look at the variety of battery types we have.. different connectors, different voltages, different amps..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Well that error comes from looking at e-clips like they're bullet magazines instead of batteries, there's no reason for there to be hundreds of incompatible styles of batteries for everything. Mechanical guns using bullets have design restrictions that the electrical weapons don't have.

so try going to plug in your american computer into a hungarian electrical outlet. or an austrialian one. just because they use electricity doesn't make them universally compatible. the connectors need to be laid out the right way and the current voltages and amperages need to match. otherwise it won't work.. and simple not working is the good result. bad results would be things like fires as a result of current mismatches.

heck, even thinking of them as batteries, look at the variety of battery types we have.. different connectors, different voltages, different amps..

And how trivial it is to find adapters...

Matching input voltage is a solved problem many times over.

Wave shaping is also a solved problem.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

glitterboy2098 wrote:

Agreed. Plus, the artwork backs up this point of view for me as well (even though that is not a popular point of view on these boards).
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

flatline wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:

And how trivial it is to find adapters...

Matching input voltage is a solved problem many times over.

Wave shaping is also a solved problem.

--flatline

Just off hand.....wouldn't 'needs adapters' be 'not universally compatable'?

Nightmask
Palladin

Kagashi wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:

Agreed. Plus, the artwork backs up this point of view for me as well (even though that is not a popular point of view on these boards).

That's because the artwork is just that, art, it's not produced with some kind of rigid adherence to a standard like 'all e-clips must be drawn like this' and based on artistic license so quite unreliable.

Nightmask
Palladin

glitterboy2098 wrote:

Except when you look at the material e-clips clearly have the same types of terminals across the board and same output capacity, even Russian e-clips use a simple spacer adapter to plug into non-Russian weapons. And yes while there are a wide range of battery types available many devices are built around the most common standards like AA, AAA, D, 9V, and 6V since they ARE so common it's easier to build based on ease of availability of replacement batteries and common means of recharging them when it comes to rechargeable batteries. The e-clips we see are all based off the standardized military requirements from the Golden Age (outside a few modern exceptions) so weapons are built around making use of the common energy source available for energy weapons.

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Nightmask wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:

Except when you look at the material e-clips clearly have the same types of terminals across the board and same output capacity, even Russian e-clips use a simple spacer adapter to plug into non-Russian weapons. And yes while there are a wide range of battery types available many devices are built around the most common standards like AA, AAA, D, 9V, and 6V since they ARE so common it's easier to build based on ease of availability of replacement batteries and common means of recharging them when it comes to rechargeable batteries. The e-clips we see are all based off the standardized military requirements from the Golden Age (outside a few modern exceptions) so weapons are built around making use of the common energy source available for energy weapons.

So...racial E-Clips then?
I.E. a Human one, a Mechanoid one, a 3Gs one, a Arkhon one....

Nightmask
Palladin

eliakon wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:

So...racial E-Clips then?
I.E. a Human one, a Mechanoid one, a 3Gs one, a Arkhon one....

That's not far from what we see in the books, although you've the AA, AAA, etc versions of e-clips based on things like vibro-weapons, energy pistols, energy rifles, etc. based on those separate development goals.

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Nightmask wrote:
Kagashi wrote:

Well that error comes from looking at e-clips like they're bullet magazines instead of batteries, there's no reason for there to be hundreds of incompatible styles of batteries for everything. Mechanical guns using bullets have design restrictions that the electrical weapons don't have.

Tell that to the cell phone companies...
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

I could see NA and Germany at least being based on an old golden age NATO standard for e-clips.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Alrik Vas wrote:Well, the 5.56 is universally used, yeah. Taking this as an example, it means that a FAMAS and an M4 can both fire the same round.

Okay, so a CP-40 uses 19MJ a shot, we'll say a TX-whatever uses the same.

Are the magazines actually the same? Do they still fit with each other? Even in allied used weapons, this isn't always the case. Yeah, they'll use the same round, but you still have to fit them into a different mag. The point is that all energy weapons use the same ammunition, so the argument there doesn't make much sense.

The actual size, shape and energy delivery systems might be different for all of these.

However, kaid, you make a good point of saying that Germany, NEMA and Japan were all allied. If that's true, then I can see it. Yet I also think that designs can change. After all, aren't the Chaos Earth weapons not as developed as the Rifts counterparts? It doesn't necessitate an e-clip change at all, but I'm just throwin' crap out there at this point. :P

I think over a long enough time period of stability eclips probably would change or at least the form of them would which would make adapters necessary. Still there are logistical pressures keeping the standardization in place. Most mercs/major militaries are not going to want to deal with the logistics of 20 different shaped eclips that all do the exact same thing when you can have 2 designs for normal and long eclips that fit in any weapon your troops have and also able to scavenge more clips in the field if necessary.
Nightmask
Palladin

The Beast wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Kagashi wrote:

We're talking the military here, they no more are going to accept the idea of dozens or hundreds of different batteries to go into everything especially their energy weapons than they'd go along with dozens or hundreds of different types of ammo that could only be used in a specific gun. They're going to want standardized batteries in only a few types due to the need to be able to readily resupply their troops instead of having to figure out which troops have which batteries to ship out.

Remember, the more different types you have the greater the frequency of mistakes where troops needing AA get AAA or worse D and can't do anything, and the greater the difficulty in recharging things if you've so many different types that you need a wider variety of interfaces to recharge them which eats up space especially if the recharging requirements on all those batteries varies widely.

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

The receivers, despite the differences in design, probably share the same basic plug-in design. Though, you'll want a close fit between the receiver walls and the e-clip to prevent the infiltration of dirt that might contaminate the contacts and interfere with power conduction, so most users would like a thicker 'assault rifle-style' long-e-clip as opposed to a long thin 'stick-style'. There's also the matter of adequate bracing, as an undersized e-clip inside a larger receiver space might get jostled out of connection during hard physical activity.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Nightmask wrote:
The Beast wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Kagashi wrote:

We're talking the military here
, they no more are going to accept the idea of dozens or hundreds of different batteries to go into everything especially their energy weapons than they'd go along with dozens or hundreds of different types of ammo that could only be used in a specific gun. They're going to want standardized batteries in only a few types due to the need to be able to readily resupply their troops instead of having to figure out which troops have which batteries to ship out.

Remember, the more different types you have the greater the frequency of mistakes where troops needing AA get AAA or worse D and can't do anything, and the greater the difficulty in recharging things if you've so many different types that you need a wider variety of interfaces to recharge them which eats up space especially if the recharging requirements on all those batteries varies widely.

LOL. A PRC-152 uses a completely different battery than a PRC-90, which is very different than a PRC-112. And those are just different types of hand held radios. You think the military is immune to buffoonery? They are the epitome of it! Its been that way from the beginning and its going to be the same way in the future. Hell...American uniforms are not even uniformed across the entire military...hard to actually call it a uniform.

Bottom line, If you are looking for realism, each weapon system would most likely have its own eclips. If you want simplicity, play by the canon rules where you can take an eclip out of the skinny pistol grip of a C-18 and put it in the fat eclip housing of a NG-E12 Plasma Ejector and work just fine.
Updated Aug 2015
Nightmask
Palladin

Kagashi wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
The Beast wrote:

We're talking the military here
, they no more are going to accept the idea of dozens or hundreds of different batteries to go into everything especially their energy weapons than they'd go along with dozens or hundreds of different types of ammo that could only be used in a specific gun. They're going to want standardized batteries in only a few types due to the need to be able to readily resupply their troops instead of having to figure out which troops have which batteries to ship out.

LOL. A PRC-152 uses a completely different battery than a PRC-90, which is very different than a PRC-112. And those are just different types of hand held radios. You think the military is immune to buffoonery? They are the epitome of it! Its been that way from the beginning and its going to be the same way in the future. Hell...American uniforms are not even uniformed across the entire military...hard to actually call it a uniform.

Bottom line, If you are looking for realism, each weapon system would most likely have its own eclips. If you want simplicity, play by the canon rules where you can take an eclip out of the skinny pistol grip of a C-18 and put it in the fat eclip housing of a NG-E12 Plasma Ejector and work just fine.

Looking for plausibility, and one would hope that by the time of the Golden Age they'd have finished standardizing things for ease of use (and given the way the books are written they did), rather than having what amounts to a different incompatible battery for every weapon. Particularly since they only seem to have had a few manufacturers for weapons when things crashed and they'd have likely used standard power cells instead of designing something different just because.

The Beast

Nightmask wrote:We're talking the military here, they no more are going to accept the idea of dozens or hundreds of different batteries to go into everything especially their energy weapons than they'd go along with dozens or hundreds of different types of ammo that could only be used in a specific gun.

Oh really?

This list contains weapons that are classified as crew-served, as the term is used in the United States military.

While the general understanding is that crew-served weapons require more than one person to operate them, there are important exceptions in the case of both squad automatic weapons (SAW) and sniper rifles. Within the Table of Organization and Equipment for both the United States Army and the U.S. Marine Corps, these two classes of weapons are understood to be crew-served, as the operator of the weapon (identified as a sniper or as a SAW gunner) has an assistant, who carries additional ammunition and associated equipment, acts as a spotter, and is also fully qualified in the operation of the weapon.

Squad automatic weapon/automatic rifle[edit]
In active service[edit]
M249 Squad Automatic Weapon (5.56x45mm NATO)[1]
M240B (7.62x51mm NATO)[2]
M240G (7.62x51mm NATO) (USMC)

In active service (some branches, secondary or limited roles)[edit]
M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle (5.56x45mm, USMC only)
M240D/H (7.62x51mm NATO)[2]
M240L (7.62x51 NATO) (US Army)
M60 (7.62x51mm NATO)
M60D (7.62x51mm NATO) (US Navy)[3]
M60E3 (7.62x51mm NATO, US Navy SEALs)[4]
M60E4/Mk 43 Mod 0/1 (7.62x51mm NATO) (US Navy)[5]
Mk 46 Mod 1 (5.56x45mm NATO, USSOCOM only)[6]
Mk 48 Mod 1 (7.62x51mm NATO, USSOCOM) [7]

Sniper/marksman rifles[edit]
SEAL Recon Rifle (Multipurpose Rifle, 5.56x45mm NATO)
U.S. Army Squad Designated Marksman Rifle (SDMR) (Designated Marksman Rifle, 5.56x45mm NATO)
USMC Squad Advanced Marksman Rifle (SAM-R) (Designated Marksman Rifle, 5.56x45mm NATO)
M14SE (Semi-Automatic Rifle, 7.62x51mm NATO)[13]
M14 Tactical Rifle (Semi-Automatic Rifle, 7.62x51mm NATO) (USCG)
M24 Sniper Weapon System (Bolt Action Sniper Rifle, 7.62x51mm NATO)
M39 Enhanced Marksman Rifle (Designated Marksman Rifle, 7.62x51mm NATO)
M40A3/A5 (Bolt Action Sniper Rifle, 7.62x51mm NATO)
M82A1M/A3 (Barrett M82A3; Special Application Scoped Rifle, .50 BMG)
M107 (Long Range Sniper Rifle, .50 BMG)
M110 Semi-Automatic Sniper System (KAC SR-M110; Semi-Automatic Sniper System, 7.62x51mm NATO)
Mk 11 Mod 0 (KAC SR-25 Lightweight Match; Semi-Automatic Sniper Rifle, 7.62x51mm NATO)
Mk 12 Mod 0/1 (Multipurpose Rifle, 5.56x45mm NATO)
Mk 13 Mod 5 (Bolt Action Sniper Rifle, .300 Winchester Magnum)
Mk 14 Mod 0/1 Enhanced Battle Rifle (Multipurpose Rifle, 7.62x51mm NATO)
Mk 15 Mod 0 (Bolt Action Anti-Materiel Rifle .50 BMG) (SEALs)
SSR Mk 20 Mod 0 (Semi-Automatic Sniper Rifle, 7.62x51mm NATO) (SOCOM)
XM2010 (Bolt Action Sniper Rifle, .300 Winchester Magnum) (Army)
Precision Sniper Rifle (Bolt Action Sniper Rifle) (SOCOM)

Machine guns, Automatic grenade launchers, autocannons[edit]
In active service[edit]
M249 Squad Automatic Weapon Family (Squad Automatic Weapon, 5.56x45mm NATO)
M60 Family (General Purpose Machine Gun, 7.62x51mm NATO)
M240 Family (Medium Machine Gun, 7.62x51mm NATO)
M2HB/M2A1 (Heavy Machine Gun, .50 BMG)
GAU-15/A/GAU-16/A/GAU-18/A (Heavy Machine Gun, .50 BMG)
M3P/GAU-21/A (M3M) (Heavy Machine Gun, .50 BMG)
M242/Mk 38 Mod 0 Bushmaster Chain gun (Automatic Cannon, 25x137mm)
Mk 44 Mod 0 (Automatic Cannon, 30x173mm)
M61A1/A2 (Rotary-Barreled Automatic Cannon, 20x102mm)
M197 (Rotary-Barreled Automatic Cannon, 20x102mm)
M134/GAU-17/A Family (Rotary-Barreled Machine Gun, 7.62x51mm NATO)
GAU-8/A (Rotary Barreled Automatic Cannon, 30x173mm)
GAU-12/U (Rotary Barreled Automatic Cannon, 25x137mm)
GAU-13/A (Rotary Barreled Automatic Cannon, 30x173mm)
GAU-19/A/B (Rotary-Barreled Machine Gun, .50 BMG)
M230 (Chain-Driven Automatic Cannon, 30x113mm)
Mk 19 Mod 3 Automatic Grenade launcher (Automatic Grenade Launcher, 40x53mm)
Mk 47 Mod 0 Stryker (Automatic Grenade Launcher, 40x53mm) (SOCOM)

Missile launchers[edit]
In active service[edit]
FIM-92 Stinger
FGM-148 Javelin
BGM-71 TOW
M3 MAAWS

Carl Gustav recoilless rifle
Mk 153 Mod 0 SMAW Shoulder-Launched Multipurpose Assault Weapon (USMC only)

Mortars[edit]
In active service[edit]
M120 120 mm mortar/M121 120 mm mortar (Army)
M224 60 mm mortar
M252 81 mm mortar
M327 EFSS (USMC)
Cardom (Army)

Artillery[edit]
In active service[edit]
M119 (105 mm Towed Howitzer)
M198 (155 mm Towed Howitzer)
M777 (155 mm Towed Howitzer)

M102 (105 mm Towed Howitzer) (used on USAF AC-130 gunships)

Mine dispenser[edit]
In active service[edit]
M139 Volcano

Mine-clearing systems[edit]
In active service[edit]
APOBS Mk 7 Mod 2
M58 Mine Clearing Line Charge
MK155 Mine Clearance Launcher
Alrik Vas
Knight

As much as I hate to bring it up, considering which side of this argument I prefer, I have to ask.

Doesn't the 5.56 fire in a Russian 5.54, but not in the reverse?

Also, say two different countries have 60mm mortars from different manufacturers, would they use the same rounds, or would the developer have made the weapon to fire a specific round produced by a certain other producer, so others couldn't use the specialty rounds they do?

See, I look at "Yeah, we use a lot of 5.56 and 7.62, so does the rest of the world", my argument isn't even about that. It's about taking the ammunition and fitting into a compatible magazine, that can already be done. Though some of us here are doing that thing called citing the book (man...what a bunch of jerks right?) that tells us everything actually IS compatible, except for when exceptions are actually mentioned.

I just maintain that it's a funner world when you have to resource manage, so I don't think they actually should be compatible. :P

The Beast

Alrik Vas wrote:As much as I hate to bring it up, considering which side of this argument I prefer, I have to ask.

Also, say two different countries have 60mm mortars from different manufacturers, would they use the same rounds, or would the developer have made the weapon to fire a specific round produced by a certain other producer, so others couldn't use the specialty rounds they do?

See, I look at "Yeah, we use a lot of 5.56 and 7.62, so does the rest of the world", my argument isn't even about that. It's about taking the ammunition and fitting into a compatible magazine, that can already be done. Though some of us here are doing that thing called citing the book (man...what a bunch of jerks right?) that tells us everything actually IS compatible, except for when exceptions are actually mentioned.

I just maintain that it's a funner world when you have to resource manage, so I don't think they actually should be compatible. :P

Not sure about that, but you did remind me of something that my unit was told when we went to Afghanistan. As part of the in-briefing we were warned not to use any Russian-made RPG launchers. (It may have been Soviet-era, not really sure when they were made.) The reason for this was that there were two that looked identical, and fired similar-looking ammunition. One of the launchers could fire both types, but the other one would immediately explode if you used the other launcher's ammo.
flatline
Knight

What's your preference?

A. "that's a pile of 4 L-20 pulse rifles"

B. "here's a stock L-20...here's an L-20 that's been converted to use NG clips...this one has a removable adapter for CS clips...these two can use either but you need a screwdriver to flip this plate here when you want to switch from NG to CS or vice versa..."

I've played with groups on both ends of the spectrum and whatever works best for that particular group is fine. Most groups that I've played with seem to lean towards B where each Brand has their own e-clip, but for the price of an adapter (removable or permanent), any gun can be made to work with any e-clip. Big buyers (merc groups, militias, etc) probably have their preferred e-clip and any guns purchased for big buyers will be made to work with said e-clips even if it's from a competing brand. That sort of thing.

One group went so far as to have e-clips be specific to each model. It worked for them but required that everyone kept extremely detailed inventory sheets.

On the other end of the spectrum are groups that let e-clips work with everything. I played a fairly long campaign with a GM that leaned this way. E-clips became a sort of currency and at one point I probably had 1500 e-clips stashed away because they were easier to deal with than money was when trading with the natives.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

The Beast wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:As much as I hate to bring it up, considering which side of this argument I prefer, I have to ask.

Not sure about that, but you did remind me of something that my unit was told when we went to Afghanistan. As part of the in-briefing we were warned not to use any Russian-made RPG launchers. (It may have been Soviet-era, not really sure when they were made.) The reason for this was that there were two that looked identical, and fired similar-looking ammunition. One of the launchers could fire both types, but the other one would immediately explode if you used the other launcher's ammo.

actually its not the 5.56mm, its the 7.62mm.

the civilian .308 winchester and 7.62x51mm NATO are nearly identical in dimensions, the only real difference being that .308 usually had propellants producing higher chamber pressure.

in WW2 and the early cold war, the russians used a 7.62x54mm round for most of their conventional rifles and MG's, which could also chamber the american .308 (and later 7.62x51mm NATO) in common use in the 1950's. it only took minor adjustments to the weapon's action.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Alrik Vas
Knight

Yeah, i remember that about .308 and 7.62, now that you mention it. Though I'd heard about the 5.54 and 5.56 as well. I'll do some research.

Edit: and you'd have to change the barrel, so no. I must have mixed it up with the .308 and 7.62.

guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Alrik Vas wrote:Yeah, i remember that about .308 and 7.62, now that you mention it. Though I'd heard about the 5.54 and 5.56 as well. I'll do some research.

Edit: and you'd have to change the barrel, so no. I must have mixed it up with the .308 and 7.62.

I have heard that you can use .22 bullets potentially in a 5.56mm because they work out to like .22 vs .223 cal or something like that, but there are significant issues such as power loading (pressures) and it tends to foul the barrel quickly
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Wow, this is so full of wrong.

No. You cannot use a .308/7.62x51mm in a 7.62x54R. The 7.62x54R is a rimmed round (hence the R) and the .308/7.62x51mm is not. Simply put, the Soviet weapons are looking for a rimmed round to hold on to. The NATO round would simply rattle around inside the chamber.

What you can do is take the bullet from a .308/7.62x51mm and place it in a 7.62x54R shell, but you need that shell for it to function. Likewise the weights of the bullets themselves are different, so even though it would fit nicely down the barrel of the rifle when fired, you would experience different ballistics and trajectories. In a pinch, it would work though.
Updated Aug 2015
Kelorin
Adventurer
Location: Aboard the USS Lexington, flagship of the New Navy Atlantic Fleet

Unread post by Kelorin »

Considering the amount of competition between arms manufacturers in North America alone, there would actually be incentive to NOT make E-clips universal. This ensures that that to power a NG rifle, you need to buy an appropriate NG clip.

As someone else stated, Samsung and Apple might both use LiON batteries (energy type), but try fitting batteries from manufacturer into another manufacturer's phone. Heck, try connecting a battery from HP netbook into an HP 17" gaming laptop and those are 'E-clips' from the same company.

On the other hand I'm OK with Operators and other techie types using adapters and connectors to swap non-conforming e-clips. I can totally picture a merc with an e-clip duct taped to the outside of his or her rifle with a bundle of wires leading into the open clip port.
Apollo Okamura wrote:Kelorin WINZ!! :-)
TechnoGothic wrote:Kelorin WINZ!!
flatline
Knight

Kelorin wrote:Considering the amount of competition between arms manufacturers in North America alone, there would actually be incentive to NOT make E-clips universal. This ensures that that to power a NG rifle, you need to buy an appropriate NG clip.

As someone else stated, Samsung and Apple might both use LiON batteries (energy type), but try fitting batteries from manufacturer into another manufacturer's phone. Heck, try connecting a battery from HP netbook into an HP 17" gaming laptop and those are 'E-clips' from the same company.

On the other hand I'm OK with Operators and other techie types using adapters and connectors to swap non-conforming e-clips. I can totally picture a merc with an e-clip duct taped to the outside of his or her rifle with a bundle of wires leading into the open clip port.

Counterpoint, if a dominant e-clip design is already established (say, what the pre-rifts militaries used), then nobody would want to buy a weapon that can't accept it.

--flatline

The Beast

flatline wrote:
Kelorin wrote:Considering the amount of competition between arms manufacturers in North America alone, there would actually be incentive to NOT make E-clips universal. This ensures that that to power a NG rifle, you need to buy an appropriate NG clip.

Counterpoint, if a dominant e-clip design is already established (say, what the pre-rifts militaries used), then nobody would want to buy a weapon that can't accept it.

--flatline

Tell that to Naruni Enterprises and Mindwerks.
Kelorin
Adventurer
Location: Aboard the USS Lexington, flagship of the New Navy Atlantic Fleet

Unread post by Kelorin »

flatline wrote:

--flatline

I'll meet you halfway. What about standardized sizes of e-clips? As in rifle clips, pistol clips, heavy weapon clips; that kind of thing. Similar ports sure, but with a rifle's higher damage output, payload and range I can't see a clip from a CP-40 fitting into the hilt of a Wilk's 320.
Apollo Okamura wrote:Kelorin WINZ!! :-)
TechnoGothic wrote:Kelorin WINZ!!
flatline
Knight

The Beast wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

Naruni's position is easy to understand: they compete directly on price. Their standard round costs $40 and averages 25MD ($1.60 per MD). Their "light" round costs $15 and averages 17.5MD ($1.17 per MD).

For comparison:
Wilk's E-6 rounds (assuming 3d6MD): $30.47/MD
TX-5 Triax Pump Pistol: $28.57/MD or $21.43/MD (GMG gives conflicting prices of $400 or $300 per round)
CP-40 Pulse Laser Rifle: $10.20/MD
NG-P7 Northern Gun Particle Beam Rifle: $10/MD
L-20: $5.35/MD
Wilk's 457 Laser Pulse Rifle: $5.33/MD
WI-10 Ramjet Rounds: $5-$10/MD if you're willing to only make single shots
Armor-Piercing Ramjet Rounds: $2.86/MD

If you're not worried about the CS catching you with Naruni gear and you don't have access to techno-wizard or other exotic weapons, it's hard to find something that's as cost effective as Naruni in the long run.

Mindwerks, on the other hand, I think exists to serve a market that doesn't have many other options (there's no surplus NEMA giant sizes MD weapons laying around, are there?).

--flatline
Last edited by flatline on Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nightmask
Palladin

The Beast wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

Naruni Enterprises actually markets its energy weapons with a redesign to use Earth-style E-clips rather than Phase World e-clips (which as far as we know are even more universally standardized than Earth e-clip standardization), and Mindwerks is run by a seriously insane individual with what amounts to her own small empire with incentive to restrict usefulness of its weapons by outsiders. That opportunity simply doesn't exist in general otherwise.

Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

Generic unless specifically stated in the description. If not, I would allow cheap and easy adapters that have 99 percent efficiency.
The exception being stuff from the Three Galaxies and earth-available Naruni equipment, even if it wasnt stated to be special.

Having said that, theres enough goodies in the books and online home-brewed stuff that DOES say its a unique power source or has a unique connector. I dont see the reason to add confusion on top of that.
Besides, I remember for many years there was confusion about short, medium, long, and standard eclips. Kevin wasnt clear enough in those early books.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.

Return to “Rifts®”