suggestions for a new character

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

suggestions for a new character

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Recently our noble wolfen cyberknight was killed in battle against the forces of evil. The player is looking to make another melee style character, but I'm feeling that a step up from a CK might be a bit much.

I already know a samurai won't be something he's interested in, so other than that, I'm looking for suggestions. Minor MDC creature is acceptable, just trying to steer clear of apok's and godlings etc.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Re: suggestions for a new character

Unread post by say652 »

ninja borg, ultra crazy, any HU super, mega juicer, White Tiger shock trooper from Russia, sea inquisitor, sea titan, dragon ray, amaki duelist, amaki gizmoteer, flying tiger, flame panther, kill cat, mega versal legionarre, a robot pilot, my choice would be a light Japanese borg with four arms. light mdc low prowl penalty and can take the Policeman occ for hand to hand Akido. auto dodge and Aouto flip plus can take sharpshooting!!!!!
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

I'll have to look at the SA books again.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Warlords of Russia, Reaver Assassin, auto-dodge, hand to hand Assassin (includes paired weapons), and can be a full conversion borg if desired.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Alrik Vas
Knight

My player likes good guys. he doesn't do evil or anti-hero very well. Haha...sorry, he's picky, it's not me. I like the ideas so far, personally.

Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

A Lone Star Kill Cat or Ursa Warrior?
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Slight001
Hero

Alrik Vas wrote:My player likes good guys. he doesn't do evil or anti-hero very well. Haha...sorry, he's picky, it's not me. I like the ideas so far, personally.

Sounds like he's digging a heck of a hole as well. Hand to Hand Assassin being limited to evil characters is just plain stupid. Also Reaver Assassins aren't restricted by alignment.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Lol i think just the fact that it's called an Assassin is enough to turn him off. Though i'll go through the book and bring it up. Thanks for the help.

Morik
Explorer

Unread post by Morik »

Just run a Juicer or crazy.......or if he likes to stick with anthropomorphic characters, a Ursa Warrior or Monkey boy (Gorilla) is crazy fun with their supernatural strength.
Slight001
Hero

Alrik Vas wrote:Lol i think just the fact that it's called an Assassin is enough to turn him off. Though i'll go through the book and bring it up. Thanks for the help.

Alternate thought... Talus (Skraypers) auto-dodge, extra attacks from their prehensile tail, and can be just about any O.C.C.
Alrik Vas
Knight

He just likes Wolfen, but he can play a human or whatever, he was just having a throwback to the old PF days. After going through some things, I'm going to suggest a Momano Hunter, the Reaver Assassin or a Crazy.

Are there any good races that give minor MDC (we're talking less than 200 on average) that can be the above classes? Doesn't have to be local to any particular area.

Slight001 wrote:Alternate thought... Talus (Skraypers) auto-dodge, extra attacks from their prehensile tail, and can be just about any O.C.C.
I'll look into it.

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Alrik Vas wrote:He just likes Wolfen, but he can play a human or whatever, he was just having a throwback to the old PF days. After going through some things, I'm going to suggest a Momano Hunter, the Reaver Assassin or a Crazy.

Are there any good races that give minor MDC (we're talking less than 200 on average) that can be the above classes? Doesn't have to be local to any particular area.

IIRC the Tryvol (sp?) Sword Fist is a minor MDC creature. You can find them either in CWC or DBoNA. They strike me as very melee orientated due to their hands being swords, and they tend to go "light sider". Their physiology can provide roleplaying potential.

Some other melee classes might be Octo-man (Splyn Dim. Market) and Vernulian (VK/DBoNA) if they want to try a new race. They are flexible with their alignments and OCC to, though off hand I don't recall their MDC profile (IIRC it is low, but not sure on that). A Shaydor Spherian might also make an intersting character, though they are more Psi-focused than melee and are limited to their RCC.

Krimean (sp?) Cyborg (CWC or DBoNA) are melee in the sense they start off with a sword I guess, and they get regenerating bionic body (given the proper materials). Also tend to be good guys and you have that whole furr thing going.

Could also try Farie Bot (Canada/DBoNA), though non-melee (here you might want to consider having the 'bot vehicle customized for melee fighting though). Zenith Moon-wraper (name/sp?) from Psyscape (also DBoNA) might also appeal to them (if they want the furr).

Another option might be to have them as a Robot RCC (SB1 O/R). Tattoo User (Elf, Human, Orc or was it Orgre) from Atlantis could be a viable melee fighter, though Tatts can increase their MDC out of the low range possibly.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Lemurian Serpent Hunter would have been a good choice too. You get one of the genetic engineered mounts, a whole bunch of bonuses, not to mention bonuses the same as horsemanship CK. Plus bio armor and mounts are self healing, and Lemurians fit the good guy profile. Serpent blades are good melee weapons as well, especially if you charge with a serpent spear or Trident. Deadly.

Star Elves from 3G could be good for a fairly light MD race.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

How about a Native American Spirit Warrior (Spirit West)? Can be low MDC (doesn't have to be). Can have low Supernatural PS (again, doesn't have too). Can get some intriguing special abilities (flight, turn invisible, touch version of Bio Manipulation...). Depending on the character's background, he can use basic TW items. It's a highly tailorable character.

Just swap the Legendary Spirit Bow for an equivalent melee weapon of choice.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Knight of the White Rose Mystic Knight
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Alrik Vas
Knight

These are all great. Giving me a lot to throw at him as far as suggestions. I'm liking the lemurian or possibly Mr Sword hands.

Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Mystic Kuznya are pretty darn good for melee, and are usually heroic, independent-minded characters. If he feels overpowered, he can make some fantabulous awesome weapon and take the penalties.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Wolfen Quatoria(Star Marshall) Boom! Steve-O for the W!
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

say652 wrote:Wolfen Quatoria(Star Marshall) Boom! Steve-O for the W!

since you said you are the gm...

take any of the mutant animals (dog boy, cat etc. that's been gengineered by lone star or similar) maybe "tweek" the stuff so he gets supernatural strength and s.pe (or at least the options) such as mutations gone wrong table (and they CAN get supernatural PS and possibly PE just from the standard table) but say he is one of the docs "unregistered/unauthorized" experiments so was not subject to "the program" and either escaped or was released in a remote location... you could even give him other Occ's that way especially if you say part of the "experiment" was attempting to encode genetic memories then look at the conversion book pg ~23 "minor monsters" where they get their sdc and hp converted to mdc....

it may not be 100% canon but you can at least make an argument ....
my gm did that on a dog boy (wolf) I rolled up, who had the standard table (extremely large), and mutations gone wrong ... supernatural str, supernatural PE so the char came out an ~7ft 400lb dogboy wolf who was pretty strong, and had ~200 mdc (its up to ~225 now at 2nd level but shrug)
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

What about a Magebane? I recently made one for myself because I wanted to be a "cool" melee fighter that wasn't a Cyber Knight.

Väinä Möinen Aerihman "Apple"

Have a look how he turned out. The Magebane is in Rifts: Mercenary Adventures Book 5. There are a number of advantages, however the unseen advantage is cost. You can get a good suit of armor with between 150-200 S.D.C. for about 2,000 dollars/credits according to Australia. Plus, because its not M.D.C. alloys its easy to repair in the field and easy to replace. Furthermore, because they can supercharge conventional weaponry too they don't need a lot of cash to be effective combatants. So they're very much a nice balance to the Cyber Knight, although in a straight up fight the Cyber Knight's combat training is superior.

That said, they're pretty neat. However, be warned they're also very overpowered if not handled correctly. I'd only recommend it for a responsible player who will only use their abilities for their "intended" purpose and not try to munch them out by using Chipwell armor and the like.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

Demon Queller from Rifts book Japan
Alrik Vas
Knight

I looked into a lot of this stuff and my brain is starting to hurt, hah. Rifts really does have an endless supply of classes (well, much of it from extension to other Palladium games). Even if the player doesn't go with any of it, I've got a million NPC ideas now.

Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Gromek Palladium Assassin. Assuming the player picks Boxing and WP Paired Weapons as his initial skills, at Level 1 the dude has 6 attacks plus paired weapons. Level 2 he has 9...with paired weapons. (Im assuming you'd use the Palladium version of H2H combat with the modification of "+2 attacks for living". might want to do that instead of the Rifts version of the skill since it gives bonuses to guns and that does not make sense for a Palladium Assassin).

He is still a squishy on Rifts, but give him a Naruni force field or an Armor of Ithan amulet with a pair of vibro blades or Xiticicx weapons and you have a super slashing melee fighter who still has some weaknesses.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Alrik Vas
Knight

The group fought a mountain full of gromeks, actually. Heh, they had a few vibro-blades and one or two had rifles, some had Fury Beetle hide armor and they had a shaman or two in the ranks. Was a lot of fun. Shoulda made some of them assassins, 9 attacks is pretty nonsense.

Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

I recommend he try a Hyperion Juicer, equipped with MDC Shield, vibro-claw, and a Wilk's Laser Sword.

This gives him a strong character, but one who doesn't rely on strength. His bonuses will be incredible because they Hyperion Juicers' bonuses are incredible. And he'll be fast; far faster than his Cyber-Knight, which means that getting into melee will not be a problem, especially if he equips himself with those Juicer rocket boots or a Tarantula Jump Bike (or both).

In fact, he can't use this idea anymore because I'm going to now :lol:
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Love jump bikes. And being a chainsaw guy myself an md chainsaw would be like EXCALIBUR! !
Alrik Vas
Knight

They've needed a chainsword in Rifts for a while now...I'd just use the chainsaw rules and give it a sword handle, but the writers need to make one so I can look at it an cackle with madness.

Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

I'm just waiting for a crazy to lose a hand and replace it with a juicer chainsaw...
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Alrik Vas wrote:They've needed a chainsword in Rifts for a while now...I'd just use the chainsaw rules and give it a sword handle, but the writers need to make one so I can look at it an cackle with madness.

365 with a 20 inch bar. 45 minutes of destruction per tank of gas. The design allows extremely effective parrying of trees and debri. One of the best machines ever made.
A stihl 261 with an 18 inch bar is light and balanced enough to be used one handed. Personally I think its a plastic piece of junk. Do some curls and one hand the 365 huskie.
Alrik Vas
Knight

I just like chainswords because nothing else does the job quite as messily. :D

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Alrik Vas wrote:My player likes good guys. he doesn't do evil or anti-hero very well. Haha...sorry, he's picky, it's not me. I like the ideas so far, personally.

Head hunters are always a decent option. The NG LPO OCC is pretty neat highly skilled in pretty much the entire NG line of armor/robots/vehicles and starts with good hand to hand skills I believe they start with HTH commando.

If allowed a lemurian oceanic guardsman/serpent hunter have good hand to hand combat abilities and their bio armor/warmounts make them a step above most cyberknights power wise without getting that crazy.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Alrik Vas wrote:I just like chainswords because nothing else does the job quite as messily. :D

If you like chain swords check the back of the gunwolfs lil brother.

http://palladium-store.com/mm5/graphics ... eview2.jpg
Lao Tzume
Explorer

Unread post by Lao Tzume »

Azverkian? Mindwerks book I believe.
Alrik Vas
Knight

kaid wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:I just like chainswords because nothing else does the job quite as messily. :D

If you like chain swords check the back of the gunwolfs lil brother.

http://palladium-store.com/mm5/graphics ... eview2.jpg

:ok:

Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

kaid wrote:If allowed a lemurian oceanic guardsman/serpent hunter have good hand to hand combat abilities and their bio armor/warmounts make them a step above most cyberknights power wise without getting that crazy.

Both are an excellent choice. And probably my favorite two classes in the game at this point. :bandit:
nilgravity
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by nilgravity »

There are some bird knights with cloud magic in New West that are extremely noble. There is also an under used race of dbee knights in Mindwerks.

Return to “Rifts®”