Patriotic C.S. Sea Inquisitors in the Coalition States Navy!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Patriotic C.S. Sea Inquisitors in the Coalition States Navy!

Unread post by Tor »

Since bumping old threads is frowned upon, figured I'd make a new one to discuss this.

Seeing "grunt" mentioned as one of the OCCs which an Inquisitor could have their related/secondary skills from always got me thinking back to the CS. The 2004 thread had people saying that the CS would kill them but... I really don't see why that would be.

These guys are perfect anti-supernatural combat troopers. Wouldn't Psi-Bat snap them up and use them as some kind of Nullifier/Stalker hybrid? Not only could members of the CS Navy (the ones who aren't operating in the lakes) encounter Reachers to turn them, but any member of Psi-Bat might be approached for recruitment into the Cult of the Deep via the Lord of the Deep contacting them through the Dreamstream, so I think inevitably SOME of the psychics in North America becoming Inquisitors would include members of the CS.

Since this could happen to people who are already in the army, I can't fathom they'd just execute them for showing 'strange new powers' (don't all psychics do this?) without investigating it. If they were that trigger-happy they'd never have recruited Psi-Ghosts (mutants) or Psi-Warriors (a class originating from a d-bee realm) into the division.

Although 'sea' designated, Inquisitors would also make great members of the ISS. Their ability to inflict MD with SDC weaponry would make them ideal for inner-city conflict against monsters, since if they miss, they won't damage any MDC stuff adjacent (and can use SDC area attacks like molotovs) and would only inflict some salvageable damage to SDC stuff (or people) rather than utterly vaporizing it.

Some other stuff...

4. with their sense supernatural evil power, does the ISP cost attached to the higher range mean only the shorter range can be used by the non-psionic Inquisitors? The phrasing there is a bit odd-sounding... "if the entity is using its powers to locate evil". In this context 'the entity' almost sounds like the Inquisitor. If 'entity' means the supernatural evil I would've dropped the last 3 words.

5. with their 'destroy the supernatural' thing, with the opening saying 'evil' supernatural, it initially uses 'demons.. dragons' as an example (and the impression is given that 'evil' is still a requirement for all the examples of supernatural races) but later says 'demon, or evil dragon'. This seems a bit racist, it almost conveys that 'demon' implicitly means evil, but some demons can be anarchist, and I don't think the doubling would work against them. Even more obviously racist, while it initially says 'minion of the Lord of the Deep' (which we could take to mean evil, I can't find any examples of non-evil LotDminions) it says later "creation of the Lord of the Deep" in the same (not specifying evil) context as it does demons. Since this covers Pneuma-Biforms, it seems odd they don't preface it with 'evil' like they do dragons.

Is it possible that 'evil' might have a broader context than an evil alignment and cover good/selfish alignment characters who are created by evil or are of a race predisposed to it, like Biforms/Demons?

While vampires are also mentioned, it's in the same initial context as entities/godlings, where 'includes dragons' is mentioned without the later preface of evil. I don't see godlings as inherently evil, nor even entities (didn't Madhaven introduce some inherently good one?). I guess the argument could be made for vampires what's made for biform/demons though...

I kinda like just going by alignment though, seems fairer and avoids a lot of guesswork about races alignment-related natures.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: Patriotic C.S. Sea Inquisitors in the Coalition States N

Unread post by Shark_Force »

there are probably some sea inquisitors who consider themselves to be part of the coalition states. there may even be a few who are still active in the CS military.

but i would suspect most of them don't really fit into a military organization very well. yes, they hate all supernatural evil, but they have a special hatred for the lord of the deep's minions, and will hunt them down by preference. they're created specifically as enemies of the lord of the deep.

having said all that, i think perhaps the main difficulty is the part where the vast majority of the CS is, in fact, not exactly what i would describe as being on or near the coastline. which is basically where the lord of the deep's visions extend to.

and the part of the CS that actually might fit that description of being on the coastline pretty well? free quebec. the one part of the nation that, even when it was part of the CS, hated psychics. and i don't imagine them reacting favourably to psychics empowered by the dreams of a monstrous creature in the sea that likes to corrupt humans and start up doomsday cults.

so actually, keeping that in mind, the CS reacting extremely unfavourably to sea inquisitors sounds pretty danged probable - if they can figure out that someone is a sea inquisitor in the first place (it's not like they're carrying around banners, after all).
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I used a crazy one for years. Ended up working for netset. Running with my dogs biting badguys I was the only one the psi stalker kept on a leash.lol
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i think the CS would view them as being "tainted" my magic/the supernatural.. their abilities might be useful, but i doubt that the mainstream CS would accept them.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Shark_Force
Palladin

i dunno, i think the CS would conditionally accept them. they don't have magic abilities, and they are incredibly effective.

if they could stick with the CS official stance on everything else, and follow orders like a good soldier, i doubt the CS would be too picky.

however, as i said, in the main portion of the CS, you'd pretty near never see one. the CS has very little presence on the oceans, and that's where sea inquisitors are made.

and, as i said, in free quebec they would almost undoubtedly be persecuted and driven out where possible (just like any other psychic individual).
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I personally think that they would be treated as mutants at best, and pawns of a supernatural force at worst. I just can't see the CS being accepting of people who are mutated/altered by an unknown alien force. On a metagame level we know its not magic, just like we know that the Coalition charges about magic as 'corrupting' and 'warping' are false. But from an in game stance this is pretty much the definition of 'magic' for the CS, take a human, add a supernatural force, and get Some Thing Else out....
just my 2cr.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Shark_Force
Palladin

the CS is perfectly fine with psi-stalkers.

you wanna explain to me how they don't fit the description of "take a human, add a supernatural force, and get Some Thing Else out...."?

they have dog boys that can smell the supernatural (including identifying practitioners of magic). apart from very rare specimens, every single dog boy they have can sense magic specifically, as a psychic power, separate from their special abilities. psi-stalkers have the same natural abilities, and neither of them include psychics in the list of things they detect when they sense the supernatural (which is important, because multiple sources is confusing and they hunt in packs).

the CS is quite possibly the most capable nation in the world when it comes to answering the question of "is that thing over there magical", and they've already proven they're more than happy to make use of psychic human mutants that hunt the supernatural.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Shark_Force wrote:the CS is perfectly fine with psi-stalkers.

you wanna explain to me how they don't fit the description of "take a human, add a supernatural force, and get Some Thing Else out...."?

they have dog boys that can smell the supernatural (including identifying practitioners of magic). apart from very rare specimens, every single dog boy they have can sense magic specifically, as a psychic power, separate from their special abilities. psi-stalkers have the same natural abilities, and neither of them include psychics in the list of things they detect when they sense the supernatural (which is important, because multiple sources is confusing and they hunt in packs).

the CS is quite possibly the most capable nation in the world when it comes to answering the question of "is that thing over there magical", and they've already proven they're more than happy to make use of psychic human mutants that hunt the supernatural.

Psi-Stalkers are psychics, the CS (outside of the former Quebec) is fine with psychics but not magical sorts or super-powered mutants.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I came up with an AntiMonster. I never got a medal for citizenship or cleanliness.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

say652 wrote:I came up with an AntiMonster. I never got a medal for citizenship or cleanliness.

Well the CS would never accept a South American Anti-Monster, they're clearly products of magic.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Shark_Force
Palladin

conveniently, sea inquisitors are not magical. they're psychic.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Yea Deaths head transport was there non aggression treaty was signed. Even took some special operatives to combat supernatural creatures. My gm DID hassle the AntiMonster alot and often. Skullboys just didnt like him. Oddly enough Dirty Steve ended up in the burbs in a dogpack. The AntiMonster player gave up and made a nrw character. The crazie well he's still around.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Shark_Force wrote:the CS is perfectly fine with psi-stalkers.

They consider magic/supernatural and psionic to be different things, obviously.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Shark_Force wrote:conveniently, sea inquisitors are not magical. they're psychic.

Actually, nothing in the sea-inquisitor OCC indicates their powers are psionic in nature, and in fact only a small precentage of them have any psychic power. It rarely awakens a latent ability they wern't using (or effected someone who was already psychic), but none of the main powers seem to be psychic and seem arbitrarily supernatural
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

glitterboy2098 wrote:i think the CS would view them as being "tainted" my magic/the supernatural.. their abilities might be useful, but i doubt that the mainstream CS would accept them.

Pretty much, they would likely be executed with extreme prejudiice or sent to that secret magic using outfit that operates outside the CS to undermine the FoM... but Sea Inquisitors working in the main CS forces... no, I can't see it until they reverse their views on magic and the supernatural.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

After reading the O.C.C., I could see a few members of the CS Navy becoming Sea Inquisitors. It comes down to resisting the call of the Lord of the Deep, followed by 2d6 days of insanity (getting strapped to their bunk while the psychic doctors are called in), and then new abilities without a trace of the supernatural on them. After the mandatory debriefing where they describe 'heroically defying a force of ancient and supernatural evil', they are observed to see if they will still fit in. The Coalition States aren't stupid enough (in my opinion, although canon seems to dispute this at times) to casually toss away something of this magnitude.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

I'll disagree... to them, such power would obviously be tainted, as it comes from contact with the supernatural.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

The C.S. may be willing to work with Sea Inquisitors on some level (they work with Colombia and their TW-borgs, not to mention Col./NGR's Dbee stance differes from theirs, and then there is the Manistique Imperium's population per RMB/RUE, etc, so it would not be entirely out of character for them), but I do not think they would accept them into their ranks initially. SI's would likely be sent off to Lone Star or RCSG for study, afterall they have powers now that don't register by conventional means (Psi or Magic) which should scare the CS to no end.

Shark_Force wrote:the CS is quite possibly the most capable nation in the world when it comes to answering the question of "is that thing over there magical", and they've already proven they're more than happy to make use of psychic human mutants that hunt the supernatural.

A variety of other powers on the planet might also object to the idea the CS is the most capable nation in the world to answer the question "is that thing over there magical". Given Atlantis, Psyscape, and the SA Psychic Mutant nations (the cats, and more general) to name but a few and this doesn't even consider the Repbulic of Japan's SNARL sensor.

Shark_Force wrote:he CS is perfectly fine with psi-stalkers.

Because Psi-Stalkers are human psychic mutants. They don't appear to be normal, get in contact with a SN force and become Psi-Stalkers they are born that way unlike a Sea Inquistor.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

It does say that psi-stalkers are mutants, they're not completely human. They're looked down on in CS society. They're seen as loyal and brave, compitent allies, but ultimately not human and so not given a fair shake. Dogboys are treated better.

I think a Sea Inquisitor, if the CS could understand their creation process and it actually had nothing to do with oogalie-boogalie, they would be seen similarly to psi-stalkers because they're different.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Hmm it's a hard call, if the person was a coalition soldier, they might ship him off to a black ops unit for study and research. If the person just your average joe he might get one in the brain pan.

And depending on the research they might get label of sea-stalker, akin to a psi-stalker in some ways, but I could see the CS pr having a grand time with this type of character.

But let's remember psychics once were looked down on, but after the events during siege of tolkeen they did gain respect in the military which means the civilians would start seeing them as they would the regular military.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

glitterboy2098 wrote:i think the CS would view them as being "tainted" my magic/the supernatural.. their abilities might be useful, but i doubt that the mainstream CS would accept them.

Which ability is tainted? They all seem to fall within the scope of abilities we see within psychics.

"Ew, he does extra damage to demons, he must be corrupted by magic" just doesn't seem like a probably reaction. The closest thing to paranoia I could see from them would be their spirit-shield. Something about making an invisible forcefield for no ISP cost that doesn't register as psychic. But everything else seems kinda on the level.

eliakon wrote:I personally think that they would be treated as mutants at best, and pawns of a supernatural force at worst. I just can't see the CS being accepting of people who are mutated/altered by an unknown alien force.
That possibility is barely touched on, something we don't even know. I can't see why the CS would think it would be an alien force creating their powers. AIs can empower witches with psionics, doesn't mean the CS assumes psychics are witches by default.

eliakon wrote:On a metagame level we know its not magic, just like we know that the Coalition charges about magic as 'corrupting' and 'warping' are false. But from an in game stance this is pretty much the definition of 'magic' for the CS, take a human, add a supernatural force, and get Some Thing Else out....
Reacting to combatting a supernatural force can't be that unusual, surely a lot of Psi-Net guys' abilities erupted when defending their families against evil monsters?

Nightmask wrote:the CS (outside of the former Quebec) is fine with psychics but not magical sorts or super-powered mutants.
Psi-Stalkers are mutants in addition to being psychics. Psi-Ghosts are also mutants. The CS uses people with super-abilities. Of course per RMB, you for some inexplicable reason can't roll up a warrior with powers, but the CS could have empowered scouts/vagabonds/operators and even the odd (non-rogue) scholar/scientist.

Even when it comes to mysticism there's some tolerence, unless the RCSG guys are all keeping their ley line powers secret.

Shark_Force wrote:conveniently, sea inquisitors are not magical. they're psychic.
Jury's still out on that one. The sensing ability seems psychic enough, not entirely sure about the damage/shield/negation though. Non-psychics can be SIs too so I think it's something else...

Nekira Sudacne wrote:nothing in the sea-inquisitor OCC indicates their powers are psionic in nature, and in fact only a small precentage of them have any psychic power.
55% isn't small, it's the majority :)

Svartalf wrote:I'll disagree... to them, such power would obviously be tainted, as it comes from contact with the supernatural.
You mean like what caused Psi-Stalkers to evolve? What about the Psi-Warriors the CS has, descended from guys trained in a secret Yhabbayar-ruled dimension?

Alrik Vas wrote:It does say that psi-stalkers are mutants, they're not completely human. They're looked down on in CS society. They're seen as loyal and brave, compitent allies, but ultimately not human and so not given a fair shake. Dogboys are treated better.
I guess I forgot about psi-hounds getting better treatment, where is this comparison made?

Alrik Vas wrote:I think a Sea Inquisitor, if the CS could understand their creation process and it actually had nothing to do with oogalie-boogalie, they would be seen similarly to psi-stalkers because they're different.
Arguably not as different. They're prettier, have normal metabolisms, and don't have that whole 'I need psychics or mages or monsters alive in this world to feed me' thing.

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:depending on the research they might get label of sea-stalker, akin to a psi-stalker in some ways
Good name. Aside from the cause, the only sea-related thing in their abilities is breath-holding underwater though :)

I'm not even sure the CS would easier figure out the extent of an Inquisitor's abilities or their cause.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Tor wrote:Since bumping old threads is frowned upon, figured I'd make a new one to discuss this.

Wait, wait. Bumping old threads is frowned on? No-one seems to complain on Halloween when I do my thread necromancy rituals.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Maybe it's a time of exceptions, or the admins are busy eating candy or hooking up with witch-costumeds.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Small precentage or not, 45% nonpsychic pretty clearly indicates that the Sea Inquisitor OCC isn't inherently psychic, thus leaving it's powers as supernatural by default.

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Small precentage or not, 45% nonpsychic pretty clearly indicates that the Sea Inquisitor OCC isn't inherently psychic, thus leaving it's powers as supernatural by default.

Well that could be debatable since it's a battle of wills between the character and lord of the deep, which unlocks the abilities now wether or not the powers were never listed as magical in nature or psychic in nature, so it's debatable
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Small precentage or not, 45% nonpsychic pretty clearly indicates that the Sea Inquisitor OCC isn't inherently psychic, thus leaving it's powers as supernatural by default.

Well that could be debatable since it's a battle of wills between the character and lord of the deep, which unlocks the abilities now wether or not the powers were never listed as magical in nature or psychic in nature, so it's debatable

Considering the argument for psychic is "it dosn't say it's not psychic even though the class dosn't automatically get any psychic powers and is never discribed as a psychic OCC", it's not a very convincing debate ;)

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Well...not all Cyberknights are psychics, but they all learn to create a psi-sword...
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:

Considering the argument for psychic is "it dosn't say it's not psychic even though the class dosn't automatically get any psychic powers and is never discribed as a psychic OCC", it's not a very convincing debate ;)

Doesn't say supernatural, so it could be

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:

If the book dosn't say it is psionic, there is no reason to make that assumption.

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Alrik Vas wrote:Well...not all Cyberknights are psychics, but they all learn to create a psi-sword...

No all Cyberknights are psychics. Just not all of them have psionics beyond the basics that the class always has.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Alrik Vas
Knight

Probably true. Wasn't looking at the book.

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:

If the book dosn't say it is psionic, there is no reason to make that assumption.
well I guess we could ask the author to settle this.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Look. Haters gonna Hate Tdog.
Most forumers could see you walk on water abd say its cause you cant swim. Lmfao.
Do your thing Tor you're NOT wrong be creative I support it.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Well... I'd say 'not psionic' but there are explanations other than supernatural causes out there. Much like super abilities can come from things besides supernatural sources (or even mutation) like those PU2 categories where will to overcome disability alone or self-hypnosis can cause them, or how some classes can even train to learn minor super abilities (or major, if you count Manhunter).

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:I guess we could ask the author to settle this.
Carella doesn't hang around Palladium much and I believe he intentionally left it vague as to what causes the Inquisitor powers. Why would he spoil the surprise?

We know explicitly that 9/20 are not psychic, yet have the powers, so they do have to be something other than psionic.

The only explicit psionic thing I would say is the ISP-enhancement you can do to the supernatural sensing. Non-psychics arguably may lack that. If they had it, they couldn't activate it without ISP...
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

You just cant track. Nothing to worry about.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Well you can... but just not from far off.

Return to “Rifts®”