Kittani Energy Lance power source

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

flatline
Knight

Kittani Energy Lance power source

Unread post by flatline »

GMG p146: "Payload: 40 shots; recharges after four hours"

How does it recharge?

It's not listed as being techno-wizardry like the items that follow it. There's no mention of a nuclear reactor (and at 20lbs, I'd be shocked if it contained a nuclear reactor).

I looked at Atlantis and it says the same thing with no mention of being TW or anything exotic.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Kittani Energy Lance power source

Unread post by eliakon »

flatline wrote:GMG p146: "Payload: 40 shots; recharges after four hours"

How does it recharge?

It's not listed as being techno-wizardry like the items that follow it. There's no mention of a nuclear reactor (and at 20lbs, I'd be shocked if it contained a nuclear reactor).

I looked at Atlantis and it says the same thing with no mention of being TW or anything exotic.

--flatline

Awesome Alien Technology <TM> When the plot calls for the impossible, the Impossible call for AAT. AAT, its where its at.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

A small built in power generator.

If I had to guess a Beta-Voltic power cell. Which in slang is called a nuclear battery.

You see small power sources built into the Mindworks smallarms also.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

yeah. .a nuclear battery feeding a capacitor system. if it recharges 40 shots after 4 hours, that's about 1 shot every 6 minutes. which is a long time in combat, but pretty darn handy.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Drew said it better than I could, given that Kittani are much more advanced than earth tech, a micro power generator is wholly within their abilities.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
flatline
Knight

glitterboy2098 wrote:yeah. .a nuclear battery feeding a capacitor system. if it recharges 40 shots after 4 hours, that's about 1 shot every 6 minutes. which is a long time in combat, but pretty darn handy.

I'm going to out on a limb and say that 40 6d6MD shots is more than 1 e-clip's worth of energy, but if we assume that it's exactly 1 e-clip's worth of energy (assumed to be 100MJ based on previous threads), then to recharge 100MJ over 4 hours would require a nuclear battery with an output of 100e6/(4*60*60) = 6944W or about 7kW.

This is not my area of expertise, but according to Wikipedia (article = Radioisotope thermoelectric generator), in order to produce 7kW, it would take at least (depending on efficiency of energy capture)...
...13kg of Plutonium
...or 15kg of Strontium
...or 0.05kg of Polonium, but you'd have to replace the Polonium regularly since its half-life is only 138 days

So unless the Kitanni are using elements that don't exist on our periodic table, I don't think it's a radioisotope thermoelectric generator type nuclear battery.

A nuclear battery could also be based on Betavoltaics, but I can't find any energy density numbers for this type of cell. However, the only existing Betavoltaic battery (the "Betacel") works on the nanoWatt to microWatt scale, so it would seem that this type of cell is considerably less energy dense than the thermoelectric type cell.

I can't find any other kind of nuclear battery, but my google fu is admittedly weak.

Anyways, it seems unlikely to me that a nuclear battery could be part of a 20lb weapon and have a 7kW+ output.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

flatline wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:yeah. .a nuclear battery feeding a capacitor system. if it recharges 40 shots after 4 hours, that's about 1 shot every 6 minutes. which is a long time in combat, but pretty darn handy.

I'm going to out on a limb and say that 40 6d6MD shots is more than 1 e-clip's worth of energy, but if we assume that it's exactly 1 e-clip's worth of energy (assumed to be 100MJ based on previous threads), then to recharge 100MJ over 4 hours would require a nuclear battery with an output of 100e6/(4*60*60) = 6944W or about 7kW.

This is not my area of expertise, but according to Wikipedia (article = Radioisotope thermoelectric generator), in order to produce 7kW, it would take at least (depending on efficiency of energy capture)...
...13kg of Plutonium
...or 15kg of Strontium
...or 0.05kg of Polonium, but you'd have to replace the Polonium regularly since its half-life is only 138 days

So unless the Kitanni are using elements that don't exist on our periodic table, I don't think it's a radioisotope thermoelectric generator type nuclear battery.

A nuclear battery could also be based on Betavoltaics, but I can't find any energy density numbers for this type of cell. However, the only existing Betavoltaic battery (the "Betacel") works on the nanoWatt to microWatt scale, so it would seem that this type of cell is considerably less energy dense than the thermoelectric type cell.

I can't find any other kind of nuclear battery, but my google fu is admittedly weak.

Anyways, it seems unlikely to me that a nuclear battery could be part of a 20lb weapon and have a 7kW+ output.

--flatline

That's the problem when you try to apply real world physics to a game, especially one that doesn't even PRETEND to be a simulation.
Its really simple AAT. The tech works because it works. If its a nuclear power plant its the same sort of miracle plant that is prolific in the setting.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

flatline wrote:

...13kg of Plutonium
...or 15kg of Strontium

--flatline

Given they're Phase World level roughly maybe it's an anti-matter power supply? It's not like they aren't fairly common in Phase World.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
flatline
Knight

The Laser Wrist Blasters (GMG p146) have something similar: "Payload: 60 blasts, backpack recharges completely in four hours" but the description specifically mentions "with a magic power pack worn on the back".

In Atlantis, the laser wrist blasters are mentioned before the energy lance. Maybe the energy lance was supposed to use the same magic power pack but it was omitted from the description since they thought it would be obvious as it came right after the laser wrist blasters...but then GMG was compiled and the order was flipped...

--flatline

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

flatline wrote:The Laser Wrist Blasters (GMG p146) have something similar: "Payload: 60 blasts, backpack recharges completely in four hours" but the description specifically mentions "with a magic power pack worn on the back".

In Atlantis, the laser wrist blasters are mentioned before the energy lance. Maybe the energy lance was supposed to use the same magic power pack but it was omitted from the description since they thought it would be obvious as it came right after the laser wrist blasters...but then GMG was compiled and the order was flipped...

--flatline

I doubt that the Technological Kittani are using TW. Especially since the Blasters and the Lance are in different sections of the book.
I just think its an example of "the Kittani have super duper advanced technology and can make leet stuff with it."

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

the kittani don't mess weith magic themselves.. but nothing would stop them from hooking their gear up to a TW device that generate electrical power.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Is it possible that we are seeing an example of wireless power transfer from the mecha (or even some other remote generator) itself to the pod (ie the Lance)?
Svartalf
Champion

No, the lance is an independent weapon and not at all necessarily tied to a mecha... the generator is in the lance itself.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

As the spectre of Zero Point Energy rears its ugly head....

"Yes, we'd try to adapt it to other systems as well, but the guy who designed the power system for the Lance? Well, the Splugorth killed him for some reason or other. Don't ask me the what-for, but rumor is he stepped on the Big Eyeball's nether tentacles. Anyways, they also destroyed his notes, saying something about 'too-too clever monkey', and every attempt to reverse engineer the things to see if we can't scale them up or attach them to over systems results in either a fizzle or a ginormous boom. You know that volcanic island off the east coast? It wasn't volcanic a month ago, that's how ginormous. So we just follow the blueprints and churn out the Lances and don't go poking around inside the black box. Bad things happen to those who do."
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Svartalf wrote:No, the lance is an independent weapon and not at all necessarily tied to a mecha... the generator is in the lance itself.

But where does it explicitly state this? The Serpent PA's Axe draws energy from the mecha, and they make it available for seperate purchase with an Eclip. So the Kittani do have the technology to transfer power in this manner.
Svartalf
Champion

The lance is described independently from any PA or mech, and while the regenerative capacity is specified, there is no mention of any external power source for it. Ergo, the generator is integral to the lance and it's not an external appurtenance or link to an external source.

WHEN used as part of a mech, maybe there's an energy link between the two (which would turn the payload to virtually infinite), but as described as an independent weapon, it has its own generator.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Makes ya wonder why you have to have e-clips in the Three Galaxies and so on, hm?
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Svartalf
Champion

Secret Kittani tech, maybe you can get some copies of other weapons by them with self renewing generators? though the description of such in Atlantis does not mention them doing such mods.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

I like taalismans suggestion that its a Black Box. This powersource works perfectly for the specific needs of this one weapon, but isn't widely adaptable to other systems. There is also some precident for self charging energy weapons in the various games. Mindwerks rifles come to mind, and are the only RIFTS version I can think of off the top of my head, but I am sure there are others.

Svartalf
Champion

NG power packs? but those eventually run out.

and Yeah, the too clever monkey is the only explanation why master technicians like the Kittani would not be able to replicate the tech on other devices... unless maybe they could, but they are forbidden by the SploogMasters to do so on anything else than the traditional energy lances.
flatline
Knight

It's tempting to simply convert the thing to use e-clips rather than posit technology that isn't described.

--flatline

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

It's also tempting to convert all Kittani weapons to use this model and make them truly terrifying like they're supposed to be. I like to think of the implications of what they could do with that tech.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Svartalf
Champion

flatline wrote:It's tempting to simply convert the thing to use e-clips rather than posit technology that isn't described.

--flatline

and destroy the view of Kittani as above the curve tech masters ? (definitely above Rifts earth tech, and well at the level of 3G tech... hard to be above the likes of Naruni)
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Svartalf wrote:(definitely above Rifts earth tech, and well at the level of 3G tech... hard to be above the likes of Naruni)
Unless you're the NGR from Triax 2. :roll:
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Svartalf
Champion

Alrik Vas wrote:It's also tempting to convert all Kittani weapons to use this model and make them truly terrifying like they're supposed to be. I like to think of the implications of what they could do with that tech.

Make the Splugorth even more terrifying with armies of Kittani that can strike, fall back, and come back a couple hours later with a full ammo load, rinse and repeat till the foe is depleted or the losses are deemed enough to withdraw for good?
Svartalf
Champion

Alrik Vas wrote:
Svartalf wrote:(definitely above Rifts earth tech, and well at the level of 3G tech... hard to be above the likes of Naruni)
Unless you're the NGR from Triax 2. :roll:

I don't have Triax 2 ... the tech level is that far above the Americas and Japan?
Alrik Vas
Knight

Eh, not to get too far off topic, but they have higher damaging weapons that have big bore style knockdown, they have firearms that critical on 19 and 20, better camouflage armor than naruni and they have some FF's now. Their basic body armor is essentially now an exoskeleton that doesn't require a battery...so on and so forth.

Svartalf
Champion

:facepalm: OK... so the Kittani are roughly at the level of Triax now...
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Svartalf wrote:The lance is described independently from any PA or mech, and while the regenerative capacity is specified, there is no mention of any external power source for it. Ergo, the generator is integral to the lance and it's not an external appurtenance or link to an external source.

WHEN used as part of a mech, maybe there's an energy link between the two (which would turn the payload to virtually infinite), but as described as an independent weapon, it has its own generator.

I am aware of the basic descriptions, but it isn't specified that their is a generator there in either entry. It could merely be a bad copy-paste job in the later section.

Svartalf wrote:Secret Kittani tech, maybe you can get some copies of other weapons by them with self renewing generators? though the description of such in Atlantis does not mention them doing such mods.

Well Atlantis does offer such a mod in WB2 (it's bio-wizard based utilizing an Eye of Eylor IIRC, but it grants an unlimited payload).

Svartalf wrote:unless maybe they could, but they are forbidden by the SploogMasters to do so on anything else than the traditional energy lances.

The Splurgoth ARE holding the Kittani back, so it is entirely possible. Being in business though means they might want to keep it off the market since Eclips (or other Conventional rounds) likely result in higher profits and additional purchases (adding to profits).

Vrykolas2k wrote:Makes ya wonder why you have to have e-clips in the Three Galaxies and so on, hm?

Eclip producers making sure they have steady business. It might also be more cost effective.

flatline wrote:It's tempting to simply convert the thing to use e-clips rather than posit technology that isn't described

Well the weapon is already setup for Eclips. It just has a charging system, which one can also take from the Serpent PA's Energy Axe IMHO and be done with it.
Svartalf
Champion

I doubt it's a bad copy paste, because , if I looked up properly, neither the Manling nor the Equestrian armors use the lance, and the Serpent uses the Plasma Axe which does not suffer from that problem.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Realizing just how advanced the tech of races like this makes it all the scarier when those JU aliens are better than them and Phase World and all we got was a slight taste of their abilities based on scrounging for parts.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

It is an oddity. It was originally listed in WB2: Atlantis and only as a weapon for the Equestrian Power Armor rather than a stand alone unit. It's unlikely to be hooked directly into the armor's power source however as the other energy weapons are specifically mentioned to be :
"The weapon is hooked directly to the armor's nuclear power supply, eliminating the need of an external power pack."

Maybe it's some sort of wirelessly charging battery that only works with the armor's power supply? Or maybe it actually needs to be plugged into a power supply when the battery runs out and that takes 4 hours?

Also now that I've just looked at it, does the lance also get the "Sensor Bonuses: +2 to strike with all long-range weapons." as well as the +2 it already gets or is that the same bonus listed twice?
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Rappanui wrote:Nothing in triax ii is actually "superior" just better options, Bigger units.

The 2nd Dominator Devastator sure seemed superior to the original in my view.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

I'm voting for a miniature giant space hamster on a wheel inside the black box that slowly moves the same plunger system from the laser bow to charge one shot every six minutes.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Tor wrote:
Rappanui wrote:Nothing in triax ii is actually "superior" just better options, Bigger units.

The 2nd Dominator Devastator sure seemed superior to the original in my view.

And yet it's guns are still less powerful than what an infantryman can field.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Doesn't the devastator 2 have a pair of boom guns? IIRC they were arm mounted.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

It is powered by Love.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Vrykolas2k wrote:yet it's guns are still less powerful than what an infantryman can field.

What are you referring to? That SA rifle better than a boomgun that uses an e-clip?

I could have sworn the new Devastator's gun could do damage in the x100 ranges.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Only on a crit can it hit so hard. Most of the time its only IIRC 1D6x10 for a gun that is bigger then a Super-SAMAS.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

That's for a low-powered blast. It's 2D6x10 for a full-power blast, with a range of 8000 ft., making it comparable to the Shemarrian rail gun (though, admittedly, that still seems a mite underpowered). I'm not sure how to interpret the critical damage, though; is it supposed to inflict normal damage x 1.5 on a critical strike, or x 2.5?
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Even then I think the author hinted that the damage had been significantly nerfed in the editing process. I would just chuck an extra 0 on the damage of that gun
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

grandmaster z0b wrote: does the lance also get the "Sensor Bonuses: +2 to strike with all long-range weapons." as well as the +2 it already gets or is that the same bonus listed twice?

It gets both, they are different, they stack to +4. The +2 to all long from the PA itself would apply to the mini-missiles and rocket shield, which do not have their own bonuses. The energy lance and rail gun and pulse cannon bonuses are from the weapons themselves and stack with the PA's bonus.

Interesting distinction between the Serpent and Equestrian too: if you look under "Hand to Hand Combat" it lists some bonuses as "Hand to Hand Combat Bonuses" for the Serp but "Combat Bonuses" for the Eques, making me wonder if the strike bonus for Eques might apply to ranged but not from the Serp.

It's always an odd distinction... like if HtH bonuses only applied to close-range then would this mean that bonuses to attacks per melee or dodge or roll would only apply to close-range confrontations too? Strange how only striking should get singled-out in house rules to be specially negated here.

Something I have been wondering about the Energy Lance since it is such an uber-weapon (even with all the power-creep, the range is epic) is... would you apply WP Energy Rifle or WP Heavy Energy to it? It's a bit of a vague weapon so I'm not sure. Didn't RUE require you to have a WP to make called shots with something? This explicitly gets a bonus to called shots so presumably a WP for it must exist...

Return to “Rifts®”