Falling from Orbit. And living.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Falling from Orbit. And living.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Shaking off one or two laser blasts and living to tell the tale of it is not the same thing as falling from orbit.

I have a full conversion Cyborg who went to Phase World and tricked himself out with: combat computers; Full Environmental Upgrade, making him space worthy; an integrated Contra-Gravity Pack; and a super heavy Naruni integrated force field, 320 md total; powered by an internal nuclear reactor.

I have a theory that he could leap from a spacecraft, fly towards a planet and effectively fall into the gravity well. The FF would take the brunt of the reentry damage, possibly all with good rolls. (I have parachuting as a skill which is part of the reason I am full conversion) Then when terminal velocity is reached as I enter the lower atmosphere engage the Contra-Gravity pack and lower myself to safety.

What do you guys think?
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Falling from Orbit. And living.

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

sounds like a high tech MOOSE. not sure i'd be crazy enough to try it. the only problem i can see is that by canon forcefields allow the passage of atmosphere thru them, so using a force field as an aerobrake probably wouldn't work too well.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Up until the friction was high enough to cause megadamage i would agree. That just means i would fall into the atmosphere further before the force-field would be come effective.

PS. Cool reference by the way.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

You have a built in contragravity pack. Why do you have to fall?
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

The Galactus Kid wrote:You have a built in contragravity pack. Why do you have to fall?

This.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

It would work, but yeah, you can just fly.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

I was going to ask why you would be making an uncontrolled re-entry even though you have a grav pack, but the others have beaten me to it.

--flatline
Last edited by flatline on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I have a cyborg chassis(actually it's an adapted Manhunter power armor) designed for this sort of thing. Dynamic entry from space, disguised as a meteor shower(or, if your enemy is already genre-savvy and wise to that trick, the scattered debris of your destroyed carrier craft). High-tech enemies with the right sensors will be able to pick out active CG-propulsors, so you don't want to go live until the last possible safe moment, ideally out of LOS of your enemy's triple-A positions and close enough/deep down enough in the gravity well that ground clutter will help obscure your position.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Greyaxe wrote:
Shaking off one or two laser blasts and living to tell the tale of it is not the same thing as falling from orbit.

I have a full conversion Cyborg who went to Phase World and tricked himself out with: combat computers; Full Environmental Upgrade, making him space worthy; an integrated Contra-Gravity Pack; and a super heavy Naruni integrated force field, 320 md total; powered by an internal nuclear reactor.

I have a theory that he could leap from a spacecraft, fly towards a planet and effectively fall into the gravity well. The FF would take the brunt of the reentry damage, possibly all with good rolls. (I have parachuting as a skill which is part of the reason I am full conversion) Then when terminal velocity is reached as I enter the lower atmosphere engage the Contra-Gravity pack and lower myself to safety.

What do you guys think?
Putting aside the other posters' observation that you have a working contra-gravity drive....

What gives you the idea that re-entry friction causes mega-damage? It doesn't even do that in the real world, now -high heat isn't necessarily indicative of how much damage is being caused.

Cornholio_Prime -even after 30+ years, still hates that Kal-El's spacecraft in the 1980 Superman movie went through the heart of a star without a scratch but crumpled like aluminum foil when it entered Earth's atmosphere
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

cornholioprime wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:

What do you guys think?
Putting aside the other posters' observation that you have a working contra-gravity drive....

What gives you the idea that re-entry friction causes mega-damage? It doesn't even do that in the real world, now -high heat isn't necessarily indicative of how much damage is being caused.

Cornholio_Prime -even after 30+ years, still hates that Kal-El's spacecraft in the 1980 Superman movie went through the heart of a star without a scratch but crumpled like aluminum foil when it entered Earth's atmosphere

Maybe it suffered damage from doing just that for why it eventually crumpled like aluminum foil?
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Pffft...a star's power is nothing compared to the invincible barrier around the center of the universe, our planet Earth. :P
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
flatline
Knight

cornholioprime wrote:Putting aside the other posters' observation that you have a working contra-gravity drive....

This is where game mechanics don't mesh well with reality.

For instance, we all agree that modern nuclear weapons would cause megadamage and modern small arms don't, but we have no non-arbitrary test for any of this. The Shuttle doesn't (usually) burn up on re-entry because it has a heat shield built specifically to allow it to survive re-entry, yet there's no way a SAMAS could do the same even though the heat shield can be damaged by your finger and the SAMAS armor is virtually indestructible by modern standards. Even if the SAMAS itself survived, the pilot would be cooked inside.

Go figure.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Yet, there would be technology that could be applied to protect the pilot, wouldn't there be?

flatline
Knight

Alrik Vas wrote:Yet, there would be technology that could be applied to protect the pilot, wouldn't there be?

If a force field can prevent the heat from reaching the power armor, that would work.

If the plasma created during re-entry is allowed to contact the surface of the power armor, then I don't see any way to protect the pilot for long enough. If the temperature of the plasma is greater than the temperature of the radiating surface used by the power to expel internal heat, then there's no way to protect the pilot.

Your best bet would be for the power armor to sit on top of a shell that acts as a heat shield during re-entry.

--flatline

cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

flatline wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:Putting aside the other posters' observation that you have a working contra-gravity drive....

For instance, we all agree that modern nuclear weapons would cause megadamage and modern small arms don't, but we have no non-arbitrary test for any of this. The Shuttle doesn't (usually) burn up on re-entry because it has a heat shield built specifically to allow it to survive re-entry, yet there's no way a SAMAS could do the same even though the heat shield can be damaged by your finger and the SAMAS armor is virtually indestructible by modern standards. Even if the SAMAS itself survived, the pilot would be cooked inside.

Go figure.

--flatline
Side question:

Are any of us even sure that a relatively low-mass object, traveling at a relatively low speed, would even burn up on re-entry in the first place?

Objects like the space shuttle and meteorites are typically traveling at thousands of miles an hour (the former because of the speeds involved in interplanetary/interstellar travel, the latter because it has to maintain a certain speed to maintain a given orbit) relative to the planet, not the falling Power Armor/Full Conversion Cyborg in the OP scenario.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Ok. Is a contra-gravity pack trans atmospheric?
flatline
Knight

Greyaxe wrote:

Ok. Is a contra-gravity pack trans atmospheric?

Yes. Artificial gravity does not require an atmosphere for lift or acceleration. Nor does it require a gravity well to "push" against. It is the ideal propulsion system for non-FTL purposes because it counters inertia directly so your acceleration isn't limited by the amount of g's your body can withstand.

--flatline

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

for slowing down you wouldn't need to be that fast.. just be able to put out a steady accelleration/decelleration. and IIRC, a CG-pack will function in space so thats not an issue.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

cornholioprime wrote:
flatline wrote:

Go figure.

--flatline
Side question:

Are any of us even sure that a relatively low-mass object, traveling at a relatively low speed, would even burn up on re-entry in the first place?

Objects like the space shuttle and meteorites are typically traveling at thousands of miles an hour (the former because of the speeds involved in interplanetary/interstellar travel, the latter because it has to maintain a certain speed to maintain a given orbit) relative to the planet, not the falling Power Armor/Full Conversion Cyborg in the OP scenario.

For your side question, the heat generated during re-entry is a result of the speed (or velocity depending on how technical you want to be). So if you hit the atmosphere at slower and slower speeds (velocity), you can reduce the demands being placed on the thermal protection system.

Current propulsion systems are not practical to the task of launching a craft into orbit and then slowing it down to the point where a thermal protection system would not be needed (at least for Earth). That is why RW craft execute a de-orbit burn that is sufficient to take it out of obit, but also subject it to extreme thermal loads. You can see this in actual play on the Moon with the Apollo landers, while the Moon's atmosphere is practically non-existent, both stages have similar propulsive capacities.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

cornholioprime wrote:What gives you the idea that re-entry friction causes mega-damage? It doesn't even do that in the real world, now -high heat isn't necessarily indicative of how much damage is being caused.
This could depend on the speed of re-entry though. IRL, I had thought astronauts returning tended to come in at an angle to slow themselves down so heat didn't build up too fast.

I think we need some rules on fall damage into water too, since that presumably is slightly less damaging than falling onto land.

cornholioprime wrote:hates that Kal-El's spacecraft in the 1980 Superman movie went through the heart of a star without a scratch but crumpled like aluminum foil when it entered Earth's atmosphere
LOL, did this occur in the same film or something? Maybe um... it was a special star or an illusion star?

flatline wrote:there's no way a SAMAS could do the same even though the heat shield can be damaged by your finger and the SAMAS armor is virtually indestructible by modern standards. Even if the SAMAS itself survived, the pilot would be cooked inside.
I thought environmental body armor helped regulate your internal temperature and that power armor tended to be even better than normal EBA in that regard. Do we know what the limits are and if re-entry would exceed them?

It seems to help them well enough against Bursters and Fire Dragons.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Tor wrote:
flatline wrote:there's no way a SAMAS could do the same even though the heat shield can be damaged by your finger and the SAMAS armor is virtually indestructible by modern standards. Even if the SAMAS itself survived, the pilot would be cooked inside.
I thought environmental body armor helped regulate your internal temperature and that power armor tended to be even better than normal EBA in that regard. Do we know what the limits are and if re-entry would exceed them?

you should look at the common traits of powered armor and body armor again. I'm at my sisters away from my books right now otherwise I'd give you a proper page number / quote to show that the temperature range these systems protect against is surprisingly low given the types of weapons that are encountered upon the rifts battlefields.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Most of the heat generating weapon in rifts only last less than a second, and expend most of that energy burning/melting armor. The heat resistance limits listed are for sustained heat, like walking thru fire or hot climates.

For reentry, even if the armor is proof against the damage inflicted, heat bleed thru buy the multi thousand degree fireball your creating for several minutes due to friction would likely kill you.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
flatline
Knight

Slight001 wrote:
Tor wrote:

you should look at the common traits of powered armor and body armor again. I'm at my sisters away from my books right now otherwise I'd give you a proper page number / quote to show that the temperature range these systems protect against is surprisingly low given the types of weapons that are encountered upon the rifts battlefields.

EBA: RUE p267: "Insulated, high temperature resistant shielding for up to 200 degrees centigrade. Normal fires do no damage. Nuclear, plasma, and magic fires do full damage"

So if I pour gasoline on you in your armor and light you on fire, the armor will be undamaged since it's normal fire, but the 900C flame will cook you on the inside. Of course we don't know how quickly the internal temperature control will be overwhelmed.

Power Armor is described the same on p271 except it protects up to 400C, so a gasoline fire will still cook you just fine if given enough time.

--flatline

flatline
Knight

glitterboy2098 wrote:Most of the heat generating weapon in rifts only last less than a second, and expend most of that energy burning/melting armor. The heat resistance limits listed are for sustained heat, like walking thru fire or hot climates.

For reentry, even if the armor is proof against the damage inflicted, heat bleed thru buy the multi thousand degree fireball your creating for several minutes due to friction would likely kill you.

I agree with your post, but I thought I'd point out a common misconception that I've bolded in your post above. The heat isn't due to friction, but to compression. You're falling through the air faster than the air can move out of your way, so the air in front of you is compressed which, of course, raises the temperature according to the ideal gas law. Raise it enough and it become a plasma like it is for the space shuttle.

--flatline

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Tor wrote:...I think we need some rules on fall damage into water too, since that presumably is slightly less damaging than falling onto land...

Actually that's only true at low speeds and low (comparatively) heights.

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/water-sports/cliff-diving3.htm
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

flatline wrote:EBA: RUE p267: "Insulated, high temperature resistant shielding for up to 200 degrees centigrade. Normal fires do no damage. Nuclear, plasma, and magic fires do full damage"

So if I pour gasoline on you in your armor and light you on fire, the armor will be undamaged since it's normal fire, but the 900C flame will cook you on the inside. Of course we don't know how quickly the internal temperature control will be overwhelmed.

Power Armor is described the same on p271 except it protects up to 400C, so a gasoline fire will still cook you just fine if given enough time.

I just don't think I'm really aware of how hot normal fires can get.

Bust out the molotovs against the Super-SAMAS, folks. They're not just useful for Inquisitors against demons in terms of MDC combat anymore.

Please tell me at least robots are protected... picturing UAR1 enforces and Spider-Skull walkers being deactivated via molotov-throwing vagabonds.

Phase weapons are seeming less worth the money now.

The Beast wrote:
Tor wrote:...I think we need some rules on fall damage into water too, since that presumably is slightly less damaging than falling onto land...
Actually that's only true at low speeds and low (comparatively) heights. http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/water-sports/cliff-diving3.htm
Where on this page does it say that water does the same damage as other surfaces? I'm well aware it can wreck you at enough height/speed, just not sure if it occurs at the same level as other surfaces at equivalent height/speed. We can accept that falling 10ft onto water is less damaging than falling 10ft onto concrete, but would falling 1000ft onto water be the same as falling 1000ft onto concrete, or maybe still less and more like 500ft onto concrete?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
flatline
Knight

Tor wrote:
flatline wrote:EBA: RUE p267: "Insulated, high temperature resistant shielding for up to 200 degrees centigrade. Normal fires do no damage. Nuclear, plasma, and magic fires do full damage"

I just don't think I'm really aware of how hot normal fires can get.

Bust out the molotovs against the Super-SAMAS, folks. They're not just useful for Inquisitors against demons in terms of MDC combat anymore.

Please tell me at least robots are protected... picturing UAR1 enforces and Spider-Skull walkers being deactivated via molotov-throwing vagabonds.

At some point the surface to volume ratio gets small enough that even if the whole surface is covered with burning gasoline, it can't heat up the vehicle faster than the vehicle can expel the heat. Of course, we don't know the capacity of the climate control system in the Spider-Skull walker, but I'll go on the record that it can probably handle it. Even if it eventually succumbs to the heat, I'd guess it would take longer than the gasoline would last.

--flatline

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I guess that gives some useful incentive to robots, they were kind of lacking it except for the range of their weapons in terms of cost. Human life is cheaper to shove into mass amounts of low-quality PA.
flatline
Knight

Tor wrote:I guess that gives some useful incentive to robots, they were kind of lacking it except for the range of their weapons in terms of cost. Human life is cheaper to shove into mass amounts of low-quality PA.

You've almost certainly heard me say this before, but if you want to make robots relevant, don't let PA have nuclear reactors (which also greatly restricts their ability to fly long distances which makes jets and other flyers more relevant).

--flatline

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

This would also lead to cool things like SAMAS climbing on top of a Death's Head and hitching rides, if the inside was full. Which they might already do due to the added speed.
nilgravity
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by nilgravity »

Wouldn't a phase field work better than a force field?
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

*shrugs* Just take a thermal aeroshell with you when you fall out of orbit. It can do all the work dealing with re-entry (and, properly designed, it keeps you from tumbling until your limbs fly off), then once you're in the thicker bits of the atmosphere you can discard it and fall the rest of the way. I'm not even sure, going by RUE, that falling/collision damage will affect MDC gear. Assuming you can tank about 16d4 of SDC damage inside your armor, you probably don't even need a parachute. XD
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Reentry is a artifact from the Moon Race days. When the they were coming back to the earth.

De-orbit is the technical term for stoping orbiting to make a landing on a planet.
-------
The using the CG pack to stop your orbital movement is the right way. Cours you would need to vector the thrust equivalent of the pack to maintain your altitude till you got down to a 'safe' speed to just drop vertically. Which would take some skill at orbital mechanics.
Just dropping vertically does not heat up something as much as de-orbiting as demonstrated by SpaceShipOne when it went about winning the Ansari X Prize

And you'd need to look out for things in orbit that you might crash into once you are no longer going the miles per second orbital speed. And that any 30 mile or 200 mile radar will just let you know there is some sort of trouble that way ...just in time to let you know you are dead. So it is best to make sure there will be nothing conflicting with the 'flight plan' before jumping.

"Make Haste Slowly" Sun Tzu.
An Interpretation: Make sure you have everything you need before leaving your base behind. Otherwise you might leave behind something you will need.
Modern day equivalents: Making sure all your ducks are in a row. Making sure to dot your i's and cross your t's.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Nightfactory wrote:Just play a Frank Sinatra OCC. He fell out of orbit and survived. :wink:

"Fly me to the moon and let me play among the stars....."
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Sat May 03, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Nightfactory wrote:Frank Sinatra fell out of orbit and survived. :wink:

a challenger appears!
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

sirkermittsg
Explorer

Unread post by sirkermittsg »

Basically build a moose with a contra grav instead of a parachute.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

glitterboy2098 wrote:sounds like a high tech MOOSE. not sure i'd be crazy enough to try it. the only problem i can see is that by canon forcefields allow the passage of atmosphere thru them, so using a force field as an aerobrake probably wouldn't work too well.

Because super heated air isn't atmosphere anymore, it's plasma and force fields stop plasma last I checked. As the air becomes more dense and the heat increases the shield should become more effective as an aerobreak.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

flatline wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:Most of the heat generating weapon in rifts only last less than a second, and expend most of that energy burning/melting armor. The heat resistance limits listed are for sustained heat, like walking thru fire or hot climates.

I agree with your post, but I thought I'd point out a common misconception that I've bolded in your post above. The heat isn't due to friction, but to compression. You're falling through the air faster than the air can move out of your way, so the air in front of you is compressed which, of course, raises the temperature according to the ideal gas law. Raise it enough and it become a plasma like it is for the space shuttle.

--flatline

So your saying NONE of the air escapes and NONE of the heat is from friction? Or are you saing the vast majority of the heat is from compression?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
flatline
Knight

Zer0 Kay wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

So your saying NONE of the air escapes and NONE of the heat is from friction? Or are you saing the vast majority of the heat is from compression?

None, because friction with a gas does not exist in the way you're thinking.

Go read up on the kinetic theory of gases and ask yourself "what is air friction?".

--flatline

Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

flatline wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

Go read up on the kinetic theory of gases and ask yourself "what is air friction?".

--flatline

Air Friction
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Giant2005 wrote:
flatline wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

--flatline

Air Friction

Thank you :)

Also, flatline, if there was no friction from air molecules the concept of Tesla's bladeless turbine wouldn't work. Fluids including air have viscosity and will adhere to surfaces passing through them. If not how does the moisture collected on aircraft wings in flight not just drop off?

Heck flight wouldn't even be possible because the leading edge would just be compressing the air rather than splitting it and causing a low pressure area under the wing because the airflow going over the wing has more surface area to travel. No friction, no airflow adhering to the wing. Do you know what it's called when the airflow doesn't adhere to the wing? A stall. No friction, no adherence.
flatline
Knight

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Giant2005 wrote:
flatline wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

--flatline

Air Friction

Also, flatline, if there was no friction from air molecules the concept of Tesla's bladeless turbine wouldn't work.

The transfer of momentum during an elastic collision between a gas molecule and a solid is sufficient to explain why it works. When you sum all of the collisions at a particular moment in time, the result is the impulse vector. When you sum all the impulse vectors over time, you get the force vector which causes the turbine to work.

Fluids including air have viscosity and will adhere to surfaces passing through them. If not how does the moisture collected on aircraft wings in flight not just drop off?

Surface tension is a property of liquids, not gases.

The boundary layer of gases near a moving surface is the result of gas particles colliding with that surface, having their momentum changed from the mean of the particles in the area, and then colliding with the particles that have not yet had their momentum changed by the moving surface. This transfer of momentum from the moving surface to the gas molecules is perceived as drag at the macroscopic scale. Again, it is the sum of the impulse vectors from each collision.

Heck flight wouldn't even be possible because the leading edge would just be compressing the air rather than splitting it and causing a low pressure area under the wing because the airflow going over the wing has more surface area to travel. No friction, no airflow adhering to the wing. Do you know what it's called when the airflow doesn't adhere to the wing? A stall. No friction, no adherence.

http://www.chem.hope.edu/~polik/Chem345 ... osity.html

Enjoy. The viscosity of gases is a macroscopic effect of many many many individual elastic collisions between (layers of) particles as they interact with a moving surface and layers of particles moving at different average velocities.

--flatline

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

flatline wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Giant2005 wrote:
flatline wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:So your saying NONE of the air escapes and NONE of the heat is from friction? Or are you saing the vast majority of the heat is from compression?

--flatline

Air Friction

Also, flatline, if there was no friction from air molecules the concept of Tesla's bladeless turbine wouldn't work.

The transfer of momentum during an elastic collision between a gas molecule and a solid is sufficient to explain why it works. When you sum all of the collisions at a particular moment in time, the result is the impulse vector. When you sum all the impulse vectors over time, you get the force vector which causes the turbine to work.

Fluids including air have viscosity and will adhere to surfaces passing through them. If not how does the moisture collected on aircraft wings in flight not just drop off?

Surface tension is a property of liquids, not gases.

The boundary layer of gases near a moving surface is the result of gas particles colliding with that surface, having their momentum changed from the mean of the particles in the area, and then colliding with the particles that have not yet had their momentum changed by the moving surface. This transfer of momentum from the moving surface to the gas molecules is perceived as drag at the macroscopic scale. Again, it is the sum of the impulse vectors from each collision.

http://www.chem.hope.edu/~polik/Chem345 ... osity.html

Enjoy. The viscosity of gases is a macroscopic effect of many many many individual elastic collisions between (layers of) particles as they interact with a moving surface and layers of particles moving at different average velocities.

--flatline

Okey dokey... Thanks.

Return to “Rifts®”