Psi-cola

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Soldier of Od
Hero

Psi-cola

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Hi everyone,
In which books (and on what pages) can I find information on Psi-Cola?
Thanks,
Soldier of Od.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Psi-cola

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Psi-Cola can be found in Rifts "Psyscape" WB12, pg84-90.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Brilliant, thanks!
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

If you're interested, the D-bee depicted guzzling cans of it from a vending machine is the Larmac, who I think is covered in Siege on Tolkeen 3.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Psi-Cola. For what ails you.
Psi-Cola. Now in Classic, New Formula, Chi-Town Cherry, Atlantean Apple, Splynncrth Sour Lemon-Lime and Bordertowns Berry. Try them all!
Psi-Cola. How Many Bottles Does It take To Make a Quick-Flex See Into Other Dimensions? The World May Never Know....
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Sneak Psi-Cola into water supply of Soul Harvesters.

Can't do the Harvesting ritual anymore.

Victory?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Tor wrote:Sneak Psi-Cola into water supply of Soul Harvesters.

Victory?

Sounds like meta gaming.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Nope, you'd obviously have to investigate thoroughly and pass many a lore: magic to know that psionics prevent the ritual before attempting it.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

i would expect that if you could sneak something into their water supply, you could do worse things than remove their ability to perform the ritual anyways.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Soldier of Od wrote:Brilliant, thanks!

Your welcome.

If you are interested in similar concoctions, I know South America 1 and Triax 1 also have examples of Psionic enhancing concoctions.

Tor wrote:Sneak Psi-Cola into water supply of Soul Harvesters.

Victory?

It would take a lot of Psi-Cola though (equal to 6cans a day per person intake), and only stays in effect while they are under the influence of that much. Given its taste for non-psychics it likely wouldn't remain their water supply of choice for very long. And that assumes the Soul Harvesters don't have purification magic/technology to remove the Psi-cola from their spiked water.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Shark_Force wrote:i would expect that if you could sneak something into their water supply, you could do worse things than remove their ability to perform the ritual anyways.

Laxative. and plenty of it.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Rimmerdal wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:i would expect that if you could sneak something into their water supply, you could do worse things than remove their ability to perform the ritual anyways.

Laxative. and plenty of it.

"I may not be able to beat you in open combat, but I've already humiliated you in ways that will not be soon forgotten by either you or the world at large. Enjoy your new status as the popular examples of the definition of 'uncontrollable bowel movement'. "
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

is there a similar version usable by mages?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

If you merely poison them they could always just Resurrect each other, inevitably one Harvester out there has stolen that spell.

But if you give them a permanent minor psionic power, they're screwed no matter how many times they respawn.

ShadowLogan wrote:It would take a lot of Psi-Cola though (equal to 6cans a day per person intake), and only stays in effect while they are under the influence of that much.
Prolonged use has a small chance of permanently imparting the power even after you stop drinking it.

ShadowLogan wrote:Given its taste for non-psychics it likely wouldn't remain their water supply of choice for very long.
Some means of masking the taste would need to be found.

abe wrote:is there a similar version usable by mages?
Perhaps Talismans/Scrolls?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that any plan that involves getting someone to drink massive quantitates of something that is expensive and tastes horrible, daily, for months, for a low percentile result that only has value if a person has some obscure meta-gamed information is pretty much the definition of a Unicorn Plan.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Shark_Force
Palladin

prolonged use seems unlikely. whether or not they notice the test, they're going to notice that they've lost their abilities.

also, if you can kill, say, 75% of them with poison, you can probably just mount a frontal assault if you've got the resources to poison them all in the first place (and the remaining 25% are probably in rough shape, as well).

so you go in, and make sure there isn't anything to resurrect.

that is, if you have the resources to successfully poison a large portion of them in the first place.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

eliakon wrote:any plan that involves getting someone to drink massive quantitates of something that is expensive and tastes horrible, daily, for months
Already mentioned that the bitter taste could be masked through additives. As for expense, 6 a day can cost as little as 90 credits. No more than 900 a day even in the worst of places. As for 'months', it only says 'prolonged+regular use'. I think regular refers to the hexa-daily, but unclear how long 'prolonged' is, could be days rather than months.

eliakon wrote:for a low percentile result
That's just for permanent results, allowing you to discontinue use. The percentage who get a temporary minor power isn't explicitly stated but it's clearly higher, and it's advantageous to stop them from using that ritual, since they'd have to detox to be able to do it again if they were freed.

eliakon wrote:only has value if a person has some obscure meta-gamed information is pretty much the definition of a Unicorn Plan.

I'll have to go look up that term, but it isn't 'meta-gamed', this is a hypothetical scenario where we assume someone has knowledge of this. Psyscapers fighting these guys inevitably are going to notice that none of them have psionic powers and begin to wonder about it. All you'd need to do is capture a single Harvester and experiment on them with stuff like this to figure it out.

Shark_Force wrote:prolonged use seems unlikely. whether or not they notice the test, they're going to notice that they've lost their abilities.
Not necessarily for a long time. They keep all their abilities except 1, the ritual, which they don't exactly use regularly, only when they want to pick up a new soul.
Shark_Force
Palladin

and you could still do far worse to them by simply poisoning their water supply with actual poison, or something that is otherwise exceptionally debilitating, anyways.

stuff that will kill you if you ingest it is relatively common and cheap. in fact, with the right skills (medical skills, especially holistic medicine, identify plants, various lore skills, biology, chemistry, and probably others that i haven't considered) you can probably find something incredibly debilitating at no cost other than time.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

AND that doesn't require a person to drink 72oz (6 12oz cans, BEFORE dilution, assuming said dilution doesn't negate the effectiveness) of something that manages to taste nasty to anything that doesn't have psionics (but tastes super to psis.....suggesting that the flavor is a supernatural component).
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Yes, I assume there is a means of dealing with flavor. I'm not particularly familiar with the specifics of that though. Surely there's a spell out there somewhere which could do it. Or clever poison/chemistry/cooking roles.

Could always give free wine, not all wines are sweet right? Hide the bitter in liquor.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:Yes, I assume there is a means of dealing with flavor. I'm not particularly familiar with the specifics of that though. Surely there's a spell out there somewhere which could do it. Or clever poison/chemistry/cooking roles.

Could always give free wine, not all wines are sweet right? Hide the bitter in liquor.

but its not just bitter but brackish as well. I suppose you COULD some how hide the true taste of nearly a gallon of brown liquid, every day, for days, on the off chance that they will all get a 05% chance effect.....
or you could use the SAME effect to just poison them.......
but I guess if you have a person who is obsessed with Psi-Cola perhaps (this is starting to sound like a plan cooked up by a teams Crazy/M.O.M........)

Shark_Force
Palladin

you'd need to use magic to hide the taste, though, if the taste is supernatural.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Shark_Force wrote:you'd need to use magic to hide the taste, though, if the taste is supernatural.

Well the taste is inversely proportional to how psychic you are, if you're Mind Melter level it tastes absolutely delicious if you're psi-dead on the other hand it tastes truly awful.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Nightmask wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:you'd need to use magic to hide the taste, though, if the taste is supernatural.

Well the taste is inversely proportional to how psychic you are, if you're Mind Melter level it tastes absolutely delicious if you're psi-dead on the other hand it tastes truly awful.

right. which heavily implies it's not just a matter of covering up a natural taste, since mind melter A might like chocolate ice cream while mind melter B might be a horrible misanthrope and doesn't like chocolate (j/k about the misanthrope part... but i do actually know people who genuinely dislike chocolate), but both of them would find psi-cola to be delicious. meanwhile, a pair of regular non-psychic individuals might either like or dislike the exact same foods as our theoretical mind melters, and yet find the taste of psi-cola to be revolting.

that's not exactly what you'd expect if it was a simple question of covering up a regular flavour.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Shark_Force wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

right. which heavily implies it's not just a matter of covering up a natural taste, since mind melter A might like chocolate ice cream while mind melter B might be a horrible misanthrope and doesn't like chocolate (j/k about the misanthrope part... but i do actually know people who genuinely dislike chocolate), but both of them would find psi-cola to be delicious. meanwhile, a pair of regular non-psychic individuals might either like or dislike the exact same foods as our theoretical mind melters, and yet find the taste of psi-cola to be revolting.

that's not exactly what you'd expect if it was a simple question of covering up a regular flavour.

Quite so. Given it's suggested to be some kind of alchemical mixture that's brewed and 'matured' at Ley Lines if memory serves it's clearly interacting with the drinker in a way fairly unrelated to the way food actually interacts with one. Apparently it really IS magically delicious in a way, reacting to the active psychic potential of the imbiber. So you really can't go tricking a non-psychic into drinking it because you can't really make it taste good to them since it's not mundane taste bud interaction causing its taste.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Tor wrote:Prolonged use has a small chance of permanently imparting the power even after you stop drinking it.

Off hand I don't recall that last bit. But you really aren't going to take out the entire Soul Harvester population this way since it will only likely effect a small percentage of their population, unless they are by some chance more suseptible to it that the rate is increased or are even less suseptible. And as has been said, the taste of Psi-Cola really precludes this from happening.

Tor wrote:Some means of masking the taste would need to be found.

Off hand I don't know of any method listed that will do this non-magically (you'd think they would mention something like that in the writeup). That leaves magic, which again I'm not sure exists (spoiling/purification I know exists, but nothing for masking comes to mind). One also has to remember that these are mages, so may have access to purification spells themselves allowing them to purify their drinking water even if it has been spiked, and that doesn't even consider them using technology to purify it. If they are purifying their water, you will need to spike it post purification on a regular basis which can increase the chance of being discovered.

Abe wrote:is there a similar version usable by mages?

You mean potions that help mages with spell casting? Sure. SA1 pg143 sold by Cibola (The Energizer) is one example, they also have two more Psi-potions (one of which has subtypes) on the next page (Triax 1 has a few more on pg177-8 for Psychics). Others may exist, but I don't know of any off-hand.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Shark_Force wrote:heavily implies it's not just a matter of covering up a natural taste .. that's not exactly what you'd expect if it was a simple question of covering up a regular flavour.
I completely agree... but it may just be a matter of overwhelming the taste rather than masking it. If we look at it like a scent, we're just spraying perfume rather than deodourizing.

It tastes bitter... but sometimes people actually like bitter tastes. I could see some Harvesters being of that temperment.

ShadowLogan wrote:SA1 pg143 sold by Cibola (The Energizer) is one example, they also have two more Psi-potions (one of which has subtypes) on the next page (Triax 1 has a few more on pg177-8 for Psychics). Others may exist, but I don't know of any off-hand.

Great find, I always forgot that Cibola/NGR. It's really easy to overlook the drug trade in Rifts. It's pretty important though. A lot of these would give massive combat advantages in important battles even if they suck for long-term warfare by wrecking the soldiers.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Tor wrote:Great find, I always forgot that Cibola/NGR. It's really easy to overlook the drug trade in Rifts. It's pretty important though. A lot of these would give massive combat advantages in important battles even if they suck for long-term warfare by wrecking the soldiers.

Then you have the bio-wizard/symbiote options for either category for enhanced PPE/ISP and power options, though that isn't the same as Drug/Potion use.

Herbalistic Magic (England, per BoM) might have some options, I know they have the potion aspect covered in general but I don't know off hand if they have any ISP/PPE enhancers. Palladium Fantasy does have potions that grant specific magic powers to (though nothing for ISP/PPE).
Shark_Force
Palladin

Tor wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:heavily implies it's not just a matter of covering up a natural taste .. that's not exactly what you'd expect if it was a simple question of covering up a regular flavour.
I completely agree... but it may just be a matter of overwhelming the taste rather than masking it. If we look at it like a scent, we're just spraying perfume rather than deodourizing.

It tastes bitter... but sometimes people actually like bitter tastes. I could see some Harvesters being of that temperment.

so now we're giving their entire water supply a super-strong non-watery taste to cover up the awful taste of the psi-cola, and expecting them to drink enough that they won't notice we've basically replaced their entire water supply with psi-cola.

i feel like that is not going to work very well.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Shark_Force wrote:
Tor wrote:

so now we're giving their entire water supply a super-strong non-watery taste to cover up the awful taste of the psi-cola, and expecting them to drink enough that they won't notice we've basically replaced their entire water supply with psi-cola.

i feel like that is not going to work very well.

Unicorn Plan Alert
"Alright, so what's this plan"
"First we need a unicorn..."

taalismn
Priest

This thread has inspired me to seek magic(spell or alchemy) to turn ordinary water into explosive liquid fuel. Ideally odorless and colorless liquid fuel. The possibilities are....well, frightening.... :demon:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Shark_Force wrote:so now we're giving their entire water supply a super-strong non-watery taste to cover up the awful taste of the psi-cola, and expecting them to drink enough that they won't notice we've basically replaced their entire water supply with psi-cola. i feel like that is not going to work very well.
Upon reflection I have begun to think 'spike their wine' rather than 'spike their river' is a better approach. You can start them off with normal wine, and wait until they're too drunk to notice the bitter later.

eliakon wrote:Unicorn Plan Alert "Alright, so what's this plan" "First we need a unicorn..."
Dude, do you know how many bottles of Psi-Cola I could buy with a unicorn? Bad example bro.
Shark_Force
Palladin

so the plan is to get them drunk, then offer them more alcohol (which they must drink like 6 cans pre-dilution), consistently, for an extended period of time.

seriously, just poison them and destroy the bodies. i don't think there's any spells for restoring life that work without a corpse.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Utterly destroying a body can be pretty tough though, even in MD settings.
Shark_Force
Palladin

why would it be all that hard? given a bit of time, you can destroy a corpse with SDC fire. i have a hard time believing it would be difficult with MDC weapons and tools. it might not be something you do in a single action (barring a special tool designed for just such a purpose), but this isn't exactly rocket science.
taalismn
Priest

Shark_Force wrote:why would it be all that hard? given a bit of time, you can destroy a corpse with SDC fire. i have a hard time believing it would be difficult with MDC weapons and tools. it might not be something you do in a single action (barring a special tool designed for just such a purpose), but this isn't exactly rocket science.

Genetically engineered decomp bacteria, alien grubs, hungry D-bees, TW-powered wood chippers...ah, yes, the possibilities are endless....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Ah, but all this simply breaks bodies down, it doesn't utterly remove their components. Even an anti-matter spell like annihilate is only capable of misting people into water droplets.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:Ah, but all this simply breaks bodies down, it doesn't utterly remove their components. Even an anti-matter spell like annihilate is only capable of misting people into water droplets.

Well Gamma Rays. But I guess the question becomes "How destroyed is good enough" most people would probably say that 'reduced to ashes that have been scattered to the winds' is probably good enough. Though really if you want to get technical, as long as you don't completely annihilate their soul they can be brought back (Nexla is an AI, AI's have Primal Deific Powers, one of the PDP's is a divine resurrection that doesn't need a body). The begged question is 'would the Reapers bother to resurrect their fallen comrades' and if they would, do they have the resources to?

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I'm not sure I agree that all AIs have primal (prototypical?) deific powers. That option is given to D+G randoms but specific NPCs aren't random. The entire race of Zlyphan or Splugorth or Vampire Intelligences having such powers would be a huge gamechanger. As would giving it to the Pantheons crowd. I'm of the mind to leave them as-is. The deific powers are one major factor that lets the D+G crowd stand out, they're less special without the monopoly.

I think they might bother as they are fellow anchors for their master, and inevitably someone will steal a resurrect spell if they don't already have it.
BookWyrm
Champion

Psi-Cola. De-greases engines, polishes power armor & satisfies your thirst.
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

It satisfies Moon Warpers too.
Shark_Force
Palladin

*sigh* ok, look, if you really think this is necessary, then the better solution is to drug them all, then, while they're unconscious, force-feed them psi-cola (or use an IV and isolate whatever it is that makes psi-cola actually work, or whatever).

force-feeding them seems a lot more probable than getting them to forgo drinking water for months of time so that they can drink something that tastes absolutely awful in mass quantities (even if you're covering up the taste with something else, what are the odds that your super strong taste combined with the super strong taste of the psi-cola is going to be good?).

but really, if their master doesn't explicitly have the power to resurrect without a corpse, why would he have it? kill them, burn the corpse, and scatter the ashes. 99.99999999% chance or better that they're never going to come back.

if that isn't enough, i think you'd be better off trying to get your hands on a soul drinker rune weapon.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

You're right, I may be overestimatnig his abilities. Although his demon-summoning might mean he could acquire connections to a Demon Lord with the prototypical deific power to resurrect (which has no mentioned body limits, just the PPE badness). Or, there's that 'D+G implies all AIs get deific powers now' biz.

I never agreed with that biz (a bit scary applied to Vamps, Zllyphan and Splugorth).

Especially since...

The Star Hive Queens from Phase World are also alien intelligences :)

Actually... maybe I do like this idea.
BookWyrm
Champion

from the censored news archives of CD Chi-Town, PA 109;
"......and the investigations continue into the now-infamous 'cola-shower incident' in the private quarters of Emperor Karl Prosek and his family. Top CS Investigators and Inquisitors are working literally around the clock to find some evidence to how the entire filtered and sealed private water supply, used exclusively for the Imperial family and those rare few with the authorization, was completely replaced, to the very last draught, by the banned soft-drink known as Psi-Cola. Sources close to the service crews, honored to be tasked with maintaining said aqua-cache, have provided no concrete evidence....."
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

taalismn wrote:This thread has inspired me to seek magic(spell or alchemy) to turn ordinary water into explosive liquid fuel. Ideally odorless and colorless liquid fuel. The possibilities are....well, frightening.... :demon:

who needs magic? a hot enough flame to start with will crack the water into H2 and O2. one reason NASA is so paranoid about fire safety is that if its rocket fuel goes up, there is pretty much nothing to stop it, since even the chemical firefighting fluids will burn at those temps.. and water hoses just literally add fuel to the fire.

this is also why it is pretty much impossible to put out thermite once it ignites, and why thermite works just fine under water.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

magi-cola MIGHT taste great to magi the same way psi-cola tastes great the psychics!
howdey folks!!!!!!!!

Return to “Rifts®”