Rifts Mercenaries and the giggle factor...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Rifts Mercenaries and the giggle factor...

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

eliakon wrote:
Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:As an aside, if the Q4-44 "Drummer" shotgun is available on the black market by now, the cost is only CR 4,500, not much more than the cost of the NG double-barrel shotgun. Only the Drummer can hold up to 42 rounds, even though it retains the ability to fire two rounds at a time.
So you can get 21 double-blasts from the gun.

The text for the Dummer states that if it does become available on the Black Market, it will cost almost 40,000 CR; the 4,500 CR cost is the cost to FQ.

Which is in itself useful :D it helps show that the listed BM costs ARE much higher than the actual production costs.

good rule of thumb might be to assume all things cost 1/10th the black market price for the original maker to produce. especially now that we have better data on what a 'knock off' is thanks to Black market.

the old RMB had a 'selling to the black market' section.. in it MDC weapons could usually be sold for about 1/10th to 1/3rd the black market sale price.. that right here indicated that the BM was using a 3x to 10x markup to begin with. (interestingly, CS weapons sold to the black market for slightly more than other types..)

in fact, the main things that don't sell to the BM for 10% to 15% of their BM sale price is precious metals (sells for 40% to 50%), bionic parts (20% to 40%), and Power Armor (20% to 35%.. with CS gear getting a further 10%)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Q44 Drummer? Where's that from already?
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Svartalf wrote:Q44 Drummer? Where's that from already?

I think they're talking about the automatic shotgun from Free Quebec. I only know it exists because it's included in the Game Masters Guide.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Svartalf
Champion

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Gryphon wrote:Nothing I can find about ram-jet rounds seems to indicate that the initial launch impetus is especially violent, though that makes fully automatic shotguns truly murderous machines of death, and also allows those damage listings KC posted to be labeled as BS.
I might by the damage, but the radius effect AND the damage together is a little hard to swallow.

Rules is rules, palatable or not.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

well, one drawback for pretty much all shotgun rounds is that the range is just awful compared to other common weapons.

they're an excellent choice for cost savings, but there are energy pistols with longer range, and while it is unlikely that you will always be able to use a 2,000 foot range, it's also unlikely that you will never be able to use that range.

as for the 45,000 credit shotgun with a drum, i agree that the price is kinda ludicrous. we have fully automatic drum-fed shotguns today, and the drummer isn't even fully automatic (it's got two barrels, and can fire two at a time, but that's it). i'd like to think that by the time we can make 20-foot tall walking robots, we'll have reached the point where that gun design is not difficult to make, and so the main cost is going to be materials. of which there aren't exactly a huge amount.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

AA-12 with APRJ Plasma rounds, what's the burst damage? Or do the books not contain enough information to get an answer?
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Svartalf
Champion

What's an AA12 already? and is that pure sarcasm I'm detecting?
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

AA-12 is a modern (exists today) fully-automatic shotgun. They even have mini grenade rounds for them.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

AA-12 would use the same 3rd burst = x2 damage, 5 round burst = x3 damage set up as an assault rifle..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Alrik Vas
Knight

Though Rifts doesn't use those rules, currently. Pulse rifles tend to actually do their damage x3 (there are more than a few 2d6 single shot = 6d6 pulse weapons). That and 1d4 damage for 40 rounds is 1d4x10...so since it's solid ammunition, in Rifts (and not HU/N&SS where they use the old burst rules) i was curious as to what they'd do.

But if i'm assuming wrong, that's another thing.

flatline
Knight

Alrik Vas wrote:Though Rifts doesn't use those rules, currently. Pulse rifles tend to actually do their damage x3 (there are more than a few 2d6 single shot = 6d6 pulse weapons). That and 1d4 damage for 40 rounds is 1d4x10...so since it's solid ammunition, in Rifts (and not HU/N&SS where they use the old burst rules) i was curious as to what they'd do.

But if i'm assuming wrong, that's another thing.

But that only applies to pulse energy weapons. Projectile weapons have never benefited from that kind of perfect additive damage.

Not that we've ever been given reasons for this. I think the assumption is that bursts don't hit with all projectiles but pulses do since individual pulses are only milliseconds (???) apart.

This is pure speculation on my part, of course. It probably exists more for game balance than any in-game reason.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Alrik Vas
Knight

That's pretty similar to the explanation given, flatline. And i know, i pointed out that 1d4x40 is really only 1d4x10 (SAMAS railgun).

Don't the plasma APRJ rounds to like 5d6? 4? If it's 4d6, i'd think a burst would probably do about 1d6x10.

flatline
Knight

Alrik Vas wrote:That's pretty similar to the explanation given, flatline. And i know, i pointed out that 1d4x40 is really only 1d4x10 (SAMAS railgun).

Don't the plasma APRJ rounds to like 5d6? 4? If it's 4d6, i'd think a burst would probably do about 1d6x10.

APRJ rounds do 2d6MD according to GMG, but I think that KC once mentioned that they did more damage when they were first published in Juicer Uprising (don't have the book, can't confirm...don't really care).

I don't know what a plasma APRJ is. Are you conflating plasma shotgun grenades with APRJ shotgun rounds? Or is this something new?

--flatline

Alrik Vas
Knight

Right, i meant plasma shotgun rounds. That was the point of bringing up the AA-12. Sorry.

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

RUE 328-329
Assault Rifles in Rifts can currently fire:
1 round single shot for 1x damage
3-round burst for x2 damage
6-round burst for x3 damage (counts as 2 attacks)

That's it.

Plasma rounds for a shotgun cost CR 170 each (RGMG 112), and inflict:
3d6 MD to a 6' diameter for a single shot
5d6 MD to a 12' diameter for a dual-blast.
(As I have already posted in this thread).

Plasma shotgun rounds in an automatic shotgun would inflict:
3d6 MD to a 6' diameter per single shot.
5d6 MD to a 12' diameter per 3-round burst.
Following this pattern, we can assume that a 6-round burst (2 attacks) would inflict 7d6 MD to a 18' diameter.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

flatline
Knight

Out of curiosity, why does a 6-round burst take 2 attacks when the burst is over in barely over a second***?

***derived from the 300 rounds per minute cited in the AA12 wikipedia article

--flatline

Alrik Vas
Knight

Because RPG's don't do that sort of thing, generally.

Though in palladium's games, your number of attacks can make things wonky at times...

Killer Cyborg
Priest

flatline wrote:Out of curiosity, why does a 6-round burst take 2 attacks when the burst is over in barely over a second***?

--flatline

Game balance.
Which Palladium claims isn't important to them, yet they often try to reinforce.

Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

I've said this before but I like that the Palladium system is not auto balanced. It allows for a lot of freedom in setting up adventures and encounters.
They auto balanced D&D 3rd edition and it made the game feel weird. Too predictable in terms of the mechanics. Monsters dont even have XP. They just have a Challenge Rating which is compared to the PC's level and then you use a table to find the XP they get. Also the classes felt to similar after the change, and prestige classes never really felt that prestigious.

I liked AD&D 2nd a lot better when classes had obvious strengths and weaknesses and you really had to think about your tactics while playing.

Palladium is the same way, you need use your head if you wanna survive most encounters. Even when decked out in heavy armor you can still get wasted by one small barrage of mini-missiles. Its ok that things arent balanced in the system, you learn as you play (GM's too) and over time get a lot better. Which is the hallmark of ANY decent game.

In most other systems once you figure out a handful of tricks to exploit the mechanics, thats it. No more anticipation or threat.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Unread post by PigLickJF »

Shorty Lickens wrote:I've said this before but I like that the Palladium system is not auto balanced. It allows for a lot of freedom in setting up adventures and encounters.
They auto balanced D&D 3rd edition and it made the game feel weird. Too predictable in terms of the mechanics. Monsters dont even have XP. They just have a Challenge Rating which is compared to the PC's level and then you use a table to find the XP they get. Also the classes felt to similar after the change, and prestige classes never really felt that prestigious.

I liked AD&D 2nd a lot better when classes had obvious strengths and weaknesses and you really had to think about your tactics while playing.

Palladium is the same way, you need use your head if you wanna survive most encounters. Even when decked out in heavy armor you can still get wasted by one small barrage of mini-missiles. Its ok that things arent balanced in the system, you learn as you play (GM's too) and over time get a lot better. Which is the hallmark of ANY decent game.

In most other systems once you figure out a handful of tricks to exploit the mechanics, thats it. No more anticipation or threat.

That's a fair point, the problem is the quirkiness and lack of consistency with which it's done. Some of the rules/stats seem so arbitrary, it doesn't really feel like a cohesive set of mechanics, and historically I don't really think it is. I think Kev and co. came up with the basics of a system, gave it enough polish to use, and then just went with it. Over the years, as questions have come up they just seem to keep tossing out off-the-cuff additions/updates/changes without seeming to give much thought or do much research to how it all fits together.

It also makes for a pretty steep learning curve, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it certainly doesn't make it easy for new players to join the fold.

PigLick
Shark_Force
Palladin

Shorty Lickens wrote:Palladium is the same way, you need use your head if you wanna survive most encounters. Even when decked out in heavy armor you can still get wasted by one small barrage of mini-missiles. Its ok that things arent balanced in the system, you learn as you play (GM's too) and over time get a lot better. Which is the hallmark of ANY decent game.

eh, no.

it may be the hallmark of games that you specifically like, but it's a bit ridiculous to declare that there is only one true way to make a game, when different people like different things.

just because a game isn't made in a way that you specifically enjoy, doesn't mean it's a bad game.

and, based on the size of the companies involved, i'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that more people seem to like those balanced games better.

that doesn't make them better games, mind you... as i said, different people enjoy different things. more people liking it makes it more popular, but not necessarily better.
Svartalf
Champion

Where was the plasma ammo for shotguns originally published? I don't like to rely solely on the RGMG
Svartalf
Champion

Killer Cyborg wrote:
flatline wrote:Out of curiosity, why does a 6-round burst take 2 attacks when the burst is over in barely over a second***?

--flatline

Game balance.
Which Palladium claims isn't important to them, yet they often try to reinforce.

Bugger game balance in a game where the same party can include a vagabond, a headhunter, a dragon and a demigod.
Alrik Vas
Knight

PigLickJF wrote:That's a fair point, the problem is the quirkiness and lack of consistency with which it's done. Some of the rules/stats seem so arbitrary, it doesn't really feel like a cohesive set of mechanics, and historically I don't really think it is. I think Kev and co. came up with the basics of a system, gave it enough polish to use, and then just went with it. Over the years, as questions have come up they just seem to keep tossing out off-the-cuff additions/updates/changes without seeming to give much thought or do much research to how it all fits together.

It also makes for a pretty steep learning curve, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it certainly doesn't make it easy for new players to join the fold.

PigLick

I've said it many times. Palladium is that game your friend in college designed that had all the holes and quirkiness in it and only he could really run right because he was the designer. :P

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Svartalf wrote:Where was the plasma ammo for shotguns originally published? I don't like to rely solely on the RGMG

It seems to originate in JU, in the same place as the APRJ rounds.
Whatever that Juicer Shotgun was called.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

PigLickJF wrote:the problem is the quirkiness and lack of consistency with which it's done. Some of the rules/stats seem so arbitrary, it doesn't really feel like a cohesive set of mechanics, and historically I don't really think it is. I think Kev and co. came up with the basics of a system, gave it enough polish to use, and then just went with it. Over the years, as questions have come up they just seem to keep tossing out off-the-cuff additions/updates/changes without seeming to give much thought or do much research to how it all fits together.

You, sir, are correct.
:ok:

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Svartalf wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

--flatline

Game balance.

Bugger game balance in a game where the same party can include a vagabond, a headhunter, a dragon and a demigod.

Perhaps.
But it IS there to bugger.

Svartalf
Champion

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Svartalf wrote:Where was the plasma ammo for shotguns originally published? I don't like to rely solely on the RGMG

It seems to originate in JU, in the same place as the APRJ rounds.
Whatever that Juicer Shotgun was called.

Aren't APRJ rounds the Wellington ramjet rounds from Mercs? Damn, I'm up for an archeological dig to get at JU.
flatline
Knight

Found it.

APRJ and the explosive plasma shells are part of the NG-11S "Sawed-Off" description reprinted on page 157 of GMG. I don't know what page of JU it was originally printed on.

--flatline

Svartalf
Champion

JU p 73-74 ... found it too.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Just the idea of a plasma round firing automatic shotgun makes me so happy on the inside. Dakka-dakka

Svartalf
Champion

Do we have autoshotguns in Rifts?
flatline
Knight

Svartalf wrote:Do we have autoshotguns in Rifts?

Sure, if you want them. We have them today and I would think that anyone with any sort of manufacturing capabilities in Rifts Earth could make SDC weapons equivalent to what we have today.

As I understand it, my Remington 1187 can be made fully automatic with very little difficulty, but I think I'd want something heavier if I was going to be firing bursts, especially if I'm going to be using the 3-1/2 inch shells.

If you look at the 12 Gauge Shotgun description on page 128 of GMG, you'll see they have a rate of fire as "standard", so, at least pre-RUE, they were officially capable of bursts.

--flatline

guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

flatline wrote:
Svartalf wrote:Do we have autoshotguns in Rifts?

Sure, if you want them. We have them today and I would think that anyone with any sort of manufacturing capabilities in Rifts Earth could make SDC weapons equivalent to what we have today.

As I understand it, my Remington 1187 can be made fully automatic with very little difficulty, but I think I'd want something heavier if I was going to be firing bursts, especially if I'm going to be using the 3-1/2 inch shells.

If you look at the 12 Gauge Shotgun description on page 128 of GMG, you'll see they have a rate of fire as "standard", so, at least pre-RUE, they were officially capable of bursts.

--flatline

I know the weapon one of my chars would want ... from a novel (Robert asprin's Phules company) the rolling thunder belt fed automatic shotgun.... a full auto shotgun :eek:

the only thing that comes to mind offhand that would be worse... is a gatling shotgun (or a minigun that fires shotgun rounds) but I wouldn't want to be the person expected to carry the thing (or its ammo supply)
Shorty Lickens
Hero

Shark_Force wrote:
Shorty Lickens wrote:Palladium is the same way, you need use your head if you wanna survive most encounters. Even when decked out in heavy armor you can still get wasted by one small barrage of mini-missiles. Its ok that things arent balanced in the system, you learn as you play (GM's too) and over time get a lot better. Which is the hallmark of ANY decent game.

eh, no.

it may be the hallmark of games that you specifically like, but it's a bit ridiculous to declare that there is only one true way to make a game, when different people like different things.

just because a game isn't made in a way that you specifically enjoy, doesn't mean it's a bad game.

and, based on the size of the companies involved, i'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that more people seem to like those balanced games better.

that doesn't make them better games, mind you... as i said, different people enjoy different things. more people liking it makes it more popular, but not necessarily better.

No by hallmark I meant "learn more and more as you play and get better & better". And by game I mean ANY game, like chess, poker, tennis, and hide the salami.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Shorty Lickens wrote:No by hallmark I meant "learn more and more as you play and get better & better". And by game I mean ANY game, like chess, poker, tennis, and hide the salami.

tic-tac-toe is a very simple game that has listed for quite a long time. i would have to speculate that it's a pretty good game which some people enjoy, otherwise it wouldn't still be around.

hangman is another simple game which has quite frankly a very limited learning potential. again, simple game, has listed for many years, is still played by many.

there are, in fact, a number of games like that. games that have endured for years, possibly decades or even centuries, which are in fact very simple and ultimately don't have the potential to particularly surprise a person after years of playing them.

are they all bad games because they don't fit what you want, or are they just games that don't fit what you want?

@guardiandashi:

it probably isn't hard to convert a drum-fed fully automatic shotgun into a belt-fed one, provided you have the right skills for it. find a competent operator, and it would probably be pretty simple. you'd most likely only ever see such a monstrosity on a vehicle mount though.
Shorty Lickens
Hero

PigLickJF wrote:
Shorty Lickens wrote:I've said this before but I like that the Palladium system is not auto balanced. It allows for a lot of freedom in setting up adventures and encounters.

That's a fair point, the problem is the quirkiness and lack of consistency with which it's done. Some of the rules/stats seem so arbitrary, it doesn't really feel like a cohesive set of mechanics, and historically I don't really think it is. I think Kev and co. came up with the basics of a system, gave it enough polish to use, and then just went with it. Over the years, as questions have come up they just seem to keep tossing out off-the-cuff additions/updates/changes without seeming to give much thought or do much research to how it all fits together.

PigLick

Theres only one major inconsistency I've had an issue with that I normally correct on my own while playing. The number of passengers that standing robot vehicles can accommodate. Looking at the height/depth/width the numbers dont always make sense.

If you look at the measurements and compare them to the drawings, many robot vehicles cant just barely make room for their pilot. A lot of them say they can also accommodate a commander or a passenger or two. But there's no way in hell that could possibly work given the obvious space limitations. In fact its so bad that I usually force a change in passengers to half the listed amount, or even none.

As an example look at the Nomad Scout Robot (Mercenaries 139, which I happen to already be looking at). Its 16 feet tall, much of which is legs, only 7 feet wide and 5 feet long (deep). It says it can have 2 passengers in addition to the pilot. Looking at the big and the dimensions, no way. Not even close. Unless perhaps they were rolled up and cocooned halfway into each leg and up in the chest, which I dont think is realistic. They wouldn't be able to operate any controls. For a rig like that, I say its just the pilot, nothing else.

The death knight robot on the page before that is 30 feet tall and could probably hold a few more, but again they overdid it. 3 crew members PLUS 4 passengers? No way. Not in the limited space available.

Thats the only regular issue I've ever had across all the books and I always have to pencil in more realistic numbers. I can tolerate just about every other problem in the books but that.
Shorty Lickens
Hero

Oh, I rarely see any issue with wheeled or tracked vehicles in regards to crew/passenger space. And only once in a while do I feel the need to adjust aircraft. The handful of boats in the game also seem to be fairly accurate.
Shorty Lickens
Hero

Yeah plasma and particle weapons require loads of heavy electronics and such. They really shouldnt be small. They REALLY shouldnt be available in pocket pistols. Except maybe as experimental tech in Phase World or something.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Shorty Lickens wrote:Yeah plasma and particle weapons require loads of heavy electronics and such. They really shouldnt be small. They REALLY shouldnt be available in pocket pistols. Except maybe as experimental tech in Phase World or something.

Well that's kind of the point of advancing, futuristic technology, to get it to where it can in fact fit into smaller packages. Being science fiction they simply advance it farther than we consider possible in RL.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Shark_Force
Palladin

in rifts, body armour appears to completely destroy momentum of less than a certain value applied to it, and even those larger amounts don't get applied in full. and non-environmental body armour completely absorbs explosions. in fact, all body armour completely absorbs explosions into the main torso portion only.

so, the answer to all your questions about why things don't make scientific sense in rifts: the authors either don't know (most likely) or don't care (probably a bit of this too) about science. they just want to make a game.
Shorty Lickens
Hero

Shark_Force wrote:in rifts, body armour appears to completely destroy momentum of less than a certain value applied to it, and even those larger amounts don't get applied in full. and non-environmental body armour completely absorbs explosions. in fact, all body armour completely absorbs explosions into the main torso portion only.

so, the answer to all your questions about why things don't make scientific sense in rifts: the authors either don't know (most likely) or don't care (probably a bit of this too) about science. they just want to make a game.

In my games we say that explosives damage all major parts of body armor and power armor and robots.

In fact if you are foolish enough to wear plate mail and get hit in the blast radius of a plasma missile, we say you automatically lose all limbs and need to roll for the coma/death rules.

http://i.somethingawful.com/u/elpintogr ... juicer.gif
Shark_Force
Palladin

and that's certainly more realistic. unfortunately, in a setting where you need to have people willingly going into battle in armour that is not environmentally sealed, it has some pretty significant implications.

for example, any armour that is not either a forcefield or environmentally sealed becomes many times less useful, unless the creature wearing it is MDC, in your games.

(also, frankly, it should really cook their head just as much as their arms and legs. it's not as if "only" destroying all the limbs and forcing them into a coma is exactly leaving the person with much use, if you're going to make the game massively more deadly for anyone not wearing EBA in the name of realism, you may as well just have the plasma instantly kill them, really... their chance of survival should be low enough to not be worth the bother).
Alrik Vas
Knight

there are times when the damage should be applied to areas other than center mass, but it is not every time.

SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Shark_Force wrote:naruni weapons are hard to find because the CS declared them contraband. the ammunition is also relatively hard to find, although easier than the weapons iirc. this is a problem, because you can just recharge an e-clip, but you can't do that with naruni weapons.

also, they were too busy being complete morons and assuming that their demon "allies" were trustworthy and that it was a good idea to invest large amounts of time, energy, and money into augmenting a group of demons that are, by definition, untrustworthy, evil, bloodthirsty, murderous scum. well, that and (probably) binding the souls of their people into giant war machines when they had no realistic expectation of ever being able to hold out in a straight up conventional war (seriously, they should have invested all their efforts first into making their city impossible to find or target, then worried about how to feed their people and sustain the war effort, then worried about setting up traps and planning an escape route in case the worst happened, then worried about how to harass the CS invaders, then worried about how to harass the CS in CS territory, and then worried about a lot of other things... and then, finally, somewhere way down near the bottom of the list, (somewhere below worrying about whether they need to go to the bathroom right now but above worrying that the sky is in fact not blue per se (and is actually just refracting out blue light rather than the other colours) they could possibly worry about upgrading the daemonix. or, they could just hand them a few scrolls and send them off to battle to get slaughtered but soak up some railgun bursts and missiles before they die, because seriously... they're demons. they're gonna screw you over.

(not that the CS as written made good decisions either, mind you).

Actually overall the Daemonix seemed to hold out pretty well on their side of the gig, probably because they were able to recognize how good things were for them on Tolkeen vs just on their own, counting on their limited physical & brain power. In fact, if the Sorcerer's Revenge wasn't considerably more effective in messing up the Coalition much harder was due to laughably awful organization and management of their forces, shown quite starkly by how quickly their forces dispersed between bloodthirsty monsters halting for kills, slaughter and food or masses of soldiers idiotically deserting to nowhere, as their villages and cities had gone to smoke weeks or months before, for reasons...

PS. Sorry for the sudden thread necromancy, hit the post while messing with stuff from my inbox and only saw how old it was after replying.
Shark_Force
Palladin

the daemonix did hold up to their end, except for the part where they cost tolkeen pretty much every single ally they had (not that they had a lot) the one time they were actually deployed into a fight.

so, you know, apart from that minor detail... sure. they held up their end of the bargain. unless you consider that bargain to include, say, following orders instead of stopping to torture and kill people for fun (probably including a number of formerly pro-tolkeen forces that tried to stop them, as well as any prisoners captured by the CS which they may have found). in which case, no, they screwed tolkeen over, which really should not have been a surprise to anyone because they're demons, and demons are kinda known to do that.

using daemonix in large numbers was a little bit dumb (again, they're demons. they *will* screw you over sooner or later, it's just a matter of time). investing anything beyond the bare minimum into them, and using them as anything other than a meat-shield? that was moronic. frankly, your goal for any demonic forces you summon should really probably be that you have just enough of them to last until the final seconds of the battle (ideally soaking up as much damage as possible along the way), but not so many that there are any survivors after the battle (even daemonix are smart enough to figure out they're being used for cannon fodder if they take 90% losses and everyone else on your side takes 5% losses). any damage they inflict on enemies before getting mowed down by railgun and missile fire is incidental, and you should only invest enough into that to encourage your enemies to spend more resources on killing the daemonix rather than ignoring them (and it is quite possible that "enough" is zero in most cases, considering they do have the ability to inflict MD with their bare hands and they are physically large enough that regular troops can use them as mobile cover from direct fire).
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Shark_Force wrote:the daemonix did hold up to their end, except for the part where they cost tolkeen pretty much every single ally they had (not that they had a lot) the one time they were actually deployed into a fight.

I can see your point but wouldn't put the blame for that problem squarely in the Daemonix's shoulders (i was going to say lap, but with their morphology i not really most have that). For starters because it's fair to say from the text sources in the box that what got Tolkeen in that situation in the first place was Creed and his council's refusal to relocate Tolkeen - when that was a quite viable option for them almost up to the tragic end - along jingoistic and agressive stance toward the Coalition, going to the point of making an actual declaration of war first. That seemed clear even in pieces of 1st person fluff like Erin Tarn's final plea with Creed, so it relates to issues higher and farther than the decision to use the Daemonix.

Shark_Force wrote:so, you know, apart from that minor detail... sure. they held up their end of the bargain. unless you consider that bargain to include, say, following orders instead of stopping to torture and kill people for fun (probably including a number of formerly pro-tolkeen forces that tried to stop them, as well as any prisoners captured by the CS which they may have found). in which case, no, they screwed tolkeen over, which really should not have been a surprise to anyone because they're demons, and demons are kinda known to do that.

Let's all be honest here, Tolkeen used A LOT of big, bad monsters beside them in the conflict, specially in the buildup for the Sorcerer's Revenge, when they were so crazy-desperate for meat-shields to add extra padding to their move they were basically opening dimensions at random and making deals with what they got through, if the case of the Wormwood exiles is any indicator. So the problem was not the Daemonix per se, but their misuse of an enormous variety of dangerous, unruly monsters out of desperation, that came from a lack of sufficient preparation for the scale of conflict involved. It's just dumb luck that saved Rifts Earth from an accidental invasion of the Host and other creatures like the Unholy and his ilk in Wormwood.

That lack of preparation per se is something that goes beyond stupidity.

On the matter of atrocities of war, as you said yourself "they're demons, and demons are kinda known to do that" and really should not have been a surprise to anyone in the bargain, so, no, i can't agree with you they screwed tolkeen over. It's like saying the gun screwed over your aim because of the recoil or your artillery's blast radius betrayed you.

Recoil, that right there is something that every form of firearms is known to possess and be an issue, but those inexperienced in their use are too quick to forget until it smacks them in the face (sometimes literally) and requires practice and familiarity to account for effectively. Tolkeen mostly lacked that kind of ruthless familiarity, that is probably far more common in the True Federation of Magic or similar groups.

That said, in both Tolkeen and the Daemonix's defense, it was only in the Sorcerer's Revenge, after what, more than a year of war, that monster followers' atrocities really become a strategic issue, up to that point they had managed it. This apparent success in effectively using the Daemonix and other critters against the Coalition's forces led them to believe they were prepared to do more of the same in a larger scale. Unfortunately for them, tactics that work in hundreds of engagements of guerilla units does not translate well to one big engagement with hundreds of guerilla unit fused in an army - and then you add boatloads of freshly summoned (and far from coordinated) horrors to the whole.

If the Daemonix screwed Tolkeen in any way was that their overall compliance with their mortal liberators lead them to underestimate how terribly unruly and hard to direct a real monster army might actually be and they didn't throw the next batch of summons as badly in the grinder as they could - or should - for this.

It's quite telling of this lack of preparation and overconfident mismanagement that things like units of gargoyles, brodkill and black faeries lead by a cyber-knight of all people, or far more importantly, the total clusterf#*k with Free Quebec, would come to happen during that phase of conflict.

On the matter of equiping the Daemonix with tech-wiz implants - well, old school tanks are good (and the way the Daemonix are statted they are more armored cavalry than heavy infantry), tanks with cannons are even better.

The Daemonix had enormous untapped natural reserves of PPE that would go to waste otherwise, so trying to get some use out of it is logical - it might not have been the most cost-effective way to do so, but it's not like you can just give each of the things a bag of scrolls and expect them to read and make effective use of these in battle, demons in general are not quite sharp and the Daemonix are sort of primitive at that. Also, providing the Daemonix with such magic capacity was something that played a major role in getting that compliance i previously mentioned out of them.

So, overall Tolkeen had a lot of problems in the war and it stands to reason that the Daemonix wouldn't be that necessary or helpful forever, but the war did not reach a point where their rulers might be forced to deal with this issue. The mistakes that ganked them were many others. Yes, now that it is over there will be rogue monsters aplenty around and the Daemonix among them - but of all those involved they might be most willing of joining any revenge squads instead of striking on their own, due to their techno-wizardry dependence.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

SolCannibal wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:the daemonix did hold up to their end, except for the part where they cost tolkeen pretty much every single ally they had (not that they had a lot) the one time they were actually deployed into a fight.

I can see your point but wouldn't put the blame for that problem squarely in the Daemonix's shoulders (i was going to say lap, but with their morphology i not really most have that). For starters because it's fair to say from the text sources in the box that what got Tolkeen in that situation in the first place was Creed and his council's refusal to relocate Tolkeen - when that was a quite viable option for them almost up to the tragic end - along jingoistic and agressive stance toward the Coalition, going to the point of making an actual declaration of war first. That seemed clear even in pieces of 1st person fluff like Erin Tarn's final plea with Creed, so it relates to issues higher and farther than the decision to use the Daemonix.

That's really not a viable option, you don't just relocate an entire city that took generations to build up and all that population to some random location that unless it's in another dimension or other planet you're just going to have to fight or more again when the CS expands that far as they're quite clear about intending to conquer the entire planet and kill all non-humans and mages. They did what you expect from your leaders, acted to defend their people and the lands that belonged to them.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Shark_Force
Palladin

if the daemonix led tolkeen to believe that they could be trusted to not engage in traditional demon behaviours, and then did not follow through on that promise, then yes, they screwed over tolkeen.

as i said, this is not unexpected. if you're not a complete and utter moron of epic proportions, you probably saw that coming miles away, and were indeed shocked that it took so long for it to become an issue.

but just because anyone with half a brain could have told you the daemonix were inevitably going to do that, doesn't mean the daemonix didn't deceive the people in tolkeen. tolkeen should have known better, yes, but it doesn't change the fact of their betrayal, it just means they were really really really stupid to not have been expecting it.

also, it's possible for a spellcaster to draw on the PPE of other people. so it didn't have to go to waste at all. granted, 30% of it would be unavailable to the shifter that called them, but 70% of it could have simply been used by their summoner to provide buff spells as required (since that person is a spellcaster and is required to be present to give them orders anyways, after all).

daemonix already have "cannons". if you want them to deal a bit more damage at longer range, mass-produce some fire globes a few days in advance using all their PPE, and invest a few credits into a large burlap sack. if you're feeling really enthusiastic about spending resources towards improving them, you can even use ironwood spells to make MDC wooden armour and/or shields for them. you could *even* go so far as to provide them with talismans of useful damaging spells (just as one example, a level 8 caster - which i am confident tolkeen has - could grant sorcerous fury in a talisman, which provides a 2d4x10 bolt with a range of 2400 feet, and an extra 400 MDC, lasting 8 minutes - more than long enough to reach melee range if you're berserk enough to just charge, which sorcerous fury pretty much guarantees).

spend some effort to make your cannon fodder important enough to shoot? sure. makes sense. but magic has an abundance of dirt-cheap solutions that require little or no time or resources for that. why would you spend hundreds or thousands of man-hours plus hundreds of thousands of credits worth of gemstones to do it? those resources were very poorly spent. just imagine the devices those techno-wizards could have developed instead. or heck, they could have just used the technology on humans who are actually loyal and trustworthy, and who have the judgment to make good use of the abilities you could potentially grant with TW bionics. something that would *actually* fit well for guerilla warfare, rather than a 20 foot tall demon who is rejected by other demons for being too stupid. someone that you can train to be useful for either guerilla warfare or conventional warfare. someone who doesn't look at your other citizens and fantasize about torturing them.

magic is amazing at turning nothing into something, if you have the knowledge. there's no need to spend a whole of something to create not much of something.

Return to “Rifts®”