Looking for Info on City of Lazlo

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Brayon
Explorer

Looking for Info on City of Lazlo

Unread post by Brayon »

I'm looking for information on the City of Lazlo. Besides the RMB, and RUE with the World Overviews by Erin Tarn, are there any other write ups I'm missing on this City?
"No, actually, as there's that really big special rule that overrides any other rules. You know, the one where if something looks stupid or limiting or otherwise hinders game play or fun the GM is free to change or discard the rule." - Nightmask
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Looking for Info on City of Lazlo

Unread post by Glistam »

I think you can find a (very) little bit more in Rifts World Book 20: Canada, and also Rifts World Book 23: Xiticix Invasion. But neither has much. There are two Rifter Articles that give good detail, the first half is in Rifter 49 and the second half is in Rifter 58. In our campaign we've made heavy use of those Rifter articles in order to make Lazlo our character's "home."
Last edited by Glistam on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Brayon
Explorer

Unread post by Brayon »

Thanks. I don't have access to those RIFTERS, but I do have the two books you mentioned.
"No, actually, as there's that really big special rule that overrides any other rules. You know, the one where if something looks stupid or limiting or otherwise hinders game play or fun the GM is free to change or discard the rule." - Nightmask
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

I think someone is actually working on a Lazlo book now.. Clemments maybe..
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

One of the freelance writers commented that writing a Lazlo book would be a challenge because you have to find a way to add some drama to it, without staining it either. Lazlo is supposed to be the shining beacon upon the hill and shouldn't have a nefarious underside lurking just out of view. But without some form of conflict / drama, it ends up as a giant book of stats.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Mack wrote:One of the freelance writers commented that writing a Lazlo book would be a challenge because you have to find a way to add some drama to it, without staining it either. Lazlo is supposed to be the shining beacon upon the hill and shouldn't have a nefarious underside lurking just out of view. But without some form of conflict / drama, it ends up as a giant book of stats.

Not necessarily Mack. MercTown did a good job of fleshing out a City State without having any real conflict or seedy underbelly per se....

My only concern is that the person writing it actually know the area or at least have lots of discussions with those that do. There are several on the these very forums, myself included.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

4shadow wrote:Especially since if, as a leader,you proporte to be a moral and just leadership you have to constantly live with compomise, when Principled leaders start handing down decrees about what people "have to do" , well thats just tyranny by another name.
Issues like that are bound to crop up. Lazlo has to be stained to be realistic, even if it can be super-clean compared to everywhere else.

I mean heck, Lazlo's Toronto, the major city of Canada, and there's controversy regarding laws against 'hate speech' versus the 'freedom of speech' concept valued due to US proximity.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Brayon
Explorer

Unread post by Brayon »

*Casts Thread Necromancy*
Glistam wrote:I think you can find a (very) little bit more in Rifts World Book 20: Canada, and also Rifts World Book 23: Xiticix Invasion. But neither has much. There are two Rifter Articles that give good detail, the first half is in Rifter 49 and the second half is in Rifter 58. In our campaign we've made heavy use of those Rifter articles in order to make Lazlo our character's "home."

Thanks to everyone that responded above. I would love to see a World Book, that covers all of the Major Cities of North America, but that would be one hell of an undertaking. I was able to get a copy of The Rifter 49, but my locals don't have The Rifter 58. Can I get a brief summary of what's in 58 on Lazlo from someone with a copy?

Thanks!
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
StormSeeker
D-Bee

Unread post by StormSeeker »

I can't recall where I read it, but I'm positive KS said in one of the books or a rifter that lazlo would get it's own book "eventually"
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Oh man, Rifter #58 is definitely the better of the two articles. It has a high level city breakdown that looks like it was designed to go with a map (not included). The breakdown of notable buildings, businesses, and such reveals a lot of potential hooks for characters and G.M.'s.

Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

StormSeeker wrote:I can't recall where I read it, but I'm positive KS said in one of the books or a rifter that lazlo would get it's own book "eventually"

Right after that new mechanoids book and land of dammed 3 come out.......
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Zamion138 wrote:
StormSeeker wrote:I can't recall where I read it, but I'm positive KS said in one of the books or a rifter that lazlo would get it's own book "eventually"

And those two BTS books... :(
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

The Beast wrote:
Zamion138 wrote:

Yeah lazlo will be out soon than those two.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Zamion138 wrote:
The Beast wrote:
Zamion138 wrote:

Yeah lazlo will be out soon than those two.

Lets not forget Australia 2 and 3, Rifts Dragons and Gods, Ireland, and Robotech Book of Spaceships.
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Glistam wrote:Oh man, Rifter #58 is definitely the better of the two articles. It has a high level city breakdown that looks like it was designed to go with a map (not included). The breakdown of notable buildings, businesses, and such reveals a lot of potential hooks for characters and G.M.'s.

Yeah, its definitely better than nothing. Unfortunately, I end up wanting to use Rifter material, then the official stance comes out and changes things. Example...the original idea of Chaos Earth...which was AWESOME, then Palladium went all "George Lucas Prequel" on us...was supposed to be an alternate dimension of Rifts.

In that case, I use the info in Xiticix Invasion to be more valuable.
Updated Aug 2015
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Kagashi wrote:
Glistam wrote:Oh man, Rifter #58 is definitely the better of the two articles. It has a high level city breakdown that looks like it was designed to go with a map (not included). The breakdown of notable buildings, businesses, and such reveals a lot of potential hooks for characters and G.M.'s.

Yeah, its definitely better than nothing. Unfortunately, I end up wanting to use Rifter material, then the official stance comes out and changes things. Example...the original idea of Chaos Earth...which was AWESOME, then Palladium went all "George Lucas Prequel" on us...was supposed to be an alternate dimension of Rifts.

Well any information in the books is only as "official" as the G.M. wishes it to be. If you use the Rifter material and it enhances your campaign, you shouldn't feel constricted by some later "official" release that may contradict something. When our Rifts group went to Lazlo we used Rifter 58 to flesh out the city and populate it. No later book will change our interactions, stories or memories of those encounters. We have the same issue with the Minion War and Calgary.

Chaos Earth, too, as originally presented in the Rifter is a perfectly viable alternate dimension - the later books that got released didn't invalidate that premise.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

While I didn't do an exhaustive comparison, it seemed to me that the person who wrote the Lazlo articles that appeared in the Rifter was familiar with the sparse info available in the books. It looked like he incorporated that into what he wrote.

Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Glistam wrote:
Kagashi wrote:

Well any information in the books is only as "official" as the G.M. wishes it to be. If you use the Rifter material and it enhances your campaign, you shouldn't feel constricted by some later "official" release that may contradict something. When our Rifts group went to Lazlo we used Rifter 58 to flesh out the city and populate it. No later book will change our interactions, stories or memories of those encounters. We have the same issue with the Minion War and Calgary.

Chaos Earth, too, as originally presented in the Rifter is a perfectly viable alternate dimension - the later books that got released didn't invalidate that premise.

This is a topic of debate that goes back many moons. I for one value an official stance over something that could be cool. Simply put, if its not official, I really dont bother in my games. It was a good article though. Id love to see elements work in to an official world book.
Updated Aug 2015
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Going to have to check my collection when I get home to see if I have the above mentioned Rfiters, my characters home base is also located in Lazlo.

So far I've just put whatever I wanted in there, along with the bit of info you do get from RMB and Canada.
For instance, in my game Casa Loma has survived fully intact and is severely haunted.

Return to “Rifts®”