What was your first Rifts Character?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DevastationBob
Dungeon Crawler

What was your first Rifts Character?

Unread post by DevastationBob »

I first played in High School back in 199*coughhackcough* and was sold on the "You can play anything" aspect. My first game I made a werewolf who for some reason was slumming around the wilderness with a borg and some other shady types. In our misspent youth, or usual gaming method was to sugar/caffeine up and start playing Friday afternoon and go til the last guy dropped, sometime Saturday afternoon. As this was my first game, I was a lightweight and passed out at my bedtime, so I don't know what happened to my werewolf. We never played the same game twice either, but I was hooked. What about you?
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Re: What was your first Rifts Character?

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Combat Borg. He was George Burns, cigar and all.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

My first character was a plucky young body fixer named Dr. Petr Sodowsky.

Me being new to Rifts (this is early 90's, when Rifts was the hottest new wazoo thing) I was still stuck in the D&D mindset, so I thought, "Hey, everyone loves a cleric." And, "hey by golly a cleric is always an easy character to integrate into an ongoing game."

It took me about an hour to figure out how to roll up a Rifts character. I gave him his loadout of stuff. Medic stuff for the most part and a bright red ambulance. I think I did have a suit of body armor, but why would a doctor wear body armor? It would interfere with his medicalizing folks. Nobody warned me.

So, I roll out my character. The other players are in the middle of duking it out with some SAMAS's and mechs....my character decides..."a battle...wounded...they'll need my help!" So into the warzone he roars....then either the SAMAS or CS mech pilots have a irrational hated of the color red or the GM was a total jerk...either way the Coalition baddies stop fighting the Glitterboy, 'Borg, Juicer and I can't remember what else and blaze away at my poor bastard of a character, killing him instantly.

At that point I packed up my stuff and left and for a long time thought this Rifts S**t totally sucks MDC balls.
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

I honestly cant rember the first few...oldest one i remeber was a dragon hatchling, then i played an immortal from some online source book alla the highlander.
Then we played mutants in orbit i was an earth elemental made a killing on creating stuff. Died at the hands of bugs
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

My first ever one was a Crazy called 'Bronthrax 10^27'. I forget his insanities. It was 199*achoo* and we only had the main book, and a couple of others (because that's all there was).

I DO remember that in character building I said he came from South America (because RMB says that's where the process comes from) and so therefore he was the wealthy son of a Brazilian coffee producer who wanted to see the world (because stereotypes are easy, right?).

The name was inspired by the alternative name for Judiciary Pag in the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Plains Borg, gotta love a guy with a robotic horse and a 6 foot long gun (think it did 1d4x10) it was the I-11 Codobra Long gun or something like that. The GM had my back story that I was running around with some gauchos (i believe they were called) and for some reason they turned on me, beat me, left me for dead. Now that I think about it he kinda lifted it from Robocop except I was a bad guy too, lol Either way someone found me, turned me into a Plains Borg, slight alignment shift upwards towards principled (think I ended up as scrupulous) then I was on my way. Of course I hunted the guys of my old gang along the way and settled the score. So I guess he could have lifted that from Hang 'em High, or he could see into the future and stole the idea from Red Dead Redemption unless....they stole the idea from my GM *looks around nervously* great I have a whole 12 monkeys vibe going down now lol
Last edited by Razzinold on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

Maxx Sterling, human ley line walker who went over to become a god of magic, destroyed the coalition and conquered all of Michigan, set up a Atlantis like city near Detroit and built a space port there. Had a Titan Juicer that traveled along, I'd shrink myself down and ride in his shirt pocket. 10 year game. Miss that character...
Last edited by MaxxSterling on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

My first Rifts character was right after the game had been published waaaayyy back when and was a female Glitterboy pilot, so (for me) she was the "first" GiGi pilot. :lol:
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Glitterboy Pilot for me as well. Died doing what GB's do best, taking hell and dishing it out in kind.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

My first Rifts character was a slave borg designed for more 'intimate' servitude. One the Operator got ahold of him, he got refitted with weaponry that was appropriate for a cybernetic gigolo.
That meant vibro-emitters along the hands, as well as a modified, stripped-down Triax Pump Pistol attached to his codpiece. My word, that was a twisted group I was in.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

hmmm... i think my first ever rifts character was a dolphin, actually. yeah... awkward... all these people are like "i was a crazy", "i was a dragon", "i was a glitterboy pilot", and here i am, having chosen an ordinary aquatic mammal who's most impressive power was to swim along ley lines really fast. what? i was a teenager. you're *supposed* to do stupid things when you're a teenager, right?

anyways, i don't remember much about that game. i do remember running into a giant tentacle which i now presume to have been the lord of the deep, so i can't imagine *that* ended well for me and my SDC, un-armored self.

you know what? i'm gonna make myself feel better about this whole thing and decide it got turned into a pneuma-biform by the lord of the deep. that sounds a whole lot better.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

John Thrasher, Headhunter. A six foot ten inch, three hundred fifty pound man with maxed out strenght. In addition to being strong he could move and had a working brain. Basically the sort of guy who is both smart and tough.

His mother was a Japanese/German shifter and his father was a Black Market Mercenary.

He started out adventuring in the midwest working his way east. He took part in the mechanoid invasion and used part of his loot to upgrade his UAR-1 Enforcer. Getting news of The Four Horsemen he joins a ship and heads down the coast of Central America to what was Brazil. While in South America he encounters an Atlantean friend of his mother and is introduced to the man's Amazon daughter. She joins the group and travels to Africa with him. Together they fight the four horsemen and in the aftermath get married. From Africa they go to Europe. From there they hit other dimensions for a bit. They come back to Earth in Japan and head north to the Bearing straight and head back into the Americas.

Over the Years I remade him when I got Canada and his UAR-1 Enforcer is now made of Chromium Armor like a Glitter boy.It's cammo painted but the pait is highly flamable and burns off after the first few shots
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Human Wilderness Scout, with Bushman armor and a Wilks laser rifle (the one in the basic book).
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
DevastationBob
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by DevastationBob »

My second was an elven wilderness scout nicknamed "Spock", with the explosive arrows from the sourcebook. He lasted a couple games too, and I think was actually the only survivor of that particular party. Might revisit him someday if I ever find his sheet.
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

As I said in a similar post, first was a Titan Cyber-knight who died fighting the horseman war in Africa
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Shark_Force wrote:hmmm... i think my first ever rifts character was a dolphin, actually. yeah... awkward... all these people are like "i was a crazy", "i was a dragon", "i was a glitterboy pilot", and here i am, having chosen an ordinary aquatic mammal who's most impressive power was to swim along ley lines really fast. what? i was a teenager. you're *supposed* to do stupid things when you're a teenager, right?

anyways, i don't remember much about that game. i do remember running into a giant tentacle which i now presume to have been the lord of the deep, so i can't imagine *that* ended well for me and my SDC, un-armored self.

you know what? i'm gonna make myself feel better about this whole thing and decide it got turned into a pneuma-biform by the lord of the deep. that sounds a whole lot better.

Actually i find the concept interesting - the ability sounds like a variant of the the Ley Line Walker's Line Drifting ability. Was your dolphin a Ley Line Walker or was its race some sort of mutant breed that had this trick as a R.C.C. ability? did they have other Ley Line Walker abilities, like a sort of sonar equivalent of Sense ley line & magic energy and Read Ley Lines or Ley Line Transmission with their vocalizations? It could make for a fun theme race, sort of like the Cernun Mystic is a species built around an O.C.C. (the mystic obviously), a simple way of adding variety and color. They might be a nice addition for an Underseas/Lemuria game.

Ah, and before i forget myself, my first Rifts character - played for only one session, so long ago i had almost forgotten - was a wild Psi Stalker mutated into a low MDC, juicer-esque thing, vaguely inspired by 90's Calliban in Marvel X-titles. Who had actually modified him was up to the GM so he might be an escapee from Lone Star, a Genesplicer or anything else. Now that i think of it, he could be seen as a sort of forerunner of the Psycho-Stalker, as he was changed no later than 100 PA, at least two years before John Dow's accidental conversion into the first [runaway] psycho-stalker.

Damn, i'm surprised by how much fluff-fu i have just crossed with this cookie-cutter, one-session character in the previous paragraph. seriously, wth. :-?
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

SolCannibal wrote:Actually i find the concept interesting - the ability sounds like a variant of the the Ley Line Walker's Line Drifting ability. Was your dolphin a Ley Line Walker or was its race some sort of mutant breed that had this trick as a R.C.C. ability? did they have other Ley Line Walker abilities, like a sort of sonar equivalent of Sense ley line & magic energy and Read Ley Lines or Ley Line Transmission with their vocalizations? It could make for a fun theme race, sort of like the Cernun Mystic is a species built around an O.C.C. (the mystic obviously), a simple way of adding variety and color. They might be a nice addition for an Underseas/Lemuria game.

Ah, and before i forget myself, my first Rifts character - played for only one session, so long ago i had almost forgotten - was a wild Psi Stalker mutated into a low MDC, juicer-esque thing, vaguely inspired by 90's Calliban in Marvel X-titles. Who had actually modified him was up to the GM so he might be an escapee from Lone Star, a Genesplicer or anything else. Now that i think of it, he could be seen as a sort of forerunner of the Psycho-Stalker, as he was changed no later than 100 PA, at least two years before John Dow's accidental conversion into the first [runaway] psycho-stalker.

Damn, i'm surprised by how much fluff-fu i have just crossed with this cookie-cutter, one-session character in the previous paragraph. seriously, wth. :-?

Actually, that is the LEAST impressive of the Dolphin R.C.C.'s powers. At least in this little punk rockers opinion. Their stats are in Rifts World Book 7: Underseas if you are looking for them.

All Dolphins and Whales on Rifts Earth are intelligent. Dolphins can talk, sense disease, cast special dolphin magic, and spend the time that they're not partying Dolphin-style fighting the abyssal forces of the marianas trench. I wish more people came to me with Dolphin characters -- they're awesome role-playing opertunities. :lol:
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Good to know, as i don't have Underseas i (incorectly it seems) guessed the dolphin to be some sort of funky homebre character made using just the corebook. Silly me. :P
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

SolCannibal wrote:Good to know, as i don't have Underseas i (incorectly it seems) guessed the dolphin to be some sort of funky homebre character made using just the corebook. Silly me. :P

No problem man. One of my favorite character's that I ever made was a Killer Whale. :lol:
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
scottypotty
D-Bee

Unread post by scottypotty »

Earth warlock. I started in a party that had been together for a while. So he told me to make my character 12th level. One hour and one 700MD earthquake later I derailed the entire campaign.
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

Standard Juicer from the core book.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
cyberdon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by cyberdon »

I rolled up a Cyber Samurai but never got to play 'em.
Levi
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Unread post by Levi »

My first Rifts, and RPG for that matter, was a human Cyber-Knight named Mercer. At the time only the Rifts RPG book was out. Cyber-Knights are still one of my favorite classes.
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

Human Glitter boy for Rifts

Human fighter from Tunnels and Trolls for my first ever
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Mr Miller wrote:Mutant weasel juicer with Thai Kick boxing out of N&S. Why? Young and silly, wanted the greatest number of attacks and highest PP. Now I prefer the rogue scholar. Getting old I think

I had a mutant weasel juicer with Hand to Hand ninjitsu from TMNT. Why? Same reason :(

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Hector Mudock
Human (Minor Psi)
Special Forces O.C.C.

Piloted a Flying Titan (that he sank most every dime into customizing).
Oderint Dum Metuant.
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

hmmm..
The first character played, was a full conversion cyborg, build to make him as similar to Great Mazinger as the rules and gm allowed me to(I'm Italian never understimate our love for Go-Nagai opus. There are still serious 45 years old professionist who know the jnigle of Grendizer better than national anthem.). It fared well, but resulted less succesful than i envisioned him(probably had to do with the lack of crazy weapons like Mach 1 fast rocket punch and Breast melting beams, also not a giant mech...I had to wai triax for the chance to play a giant mech).
The Second character , by the way was a Ratling Techno Wizard. Had much more fun, mostly because the character was actually insane. Oh the migrain I gave to my GM :lol: (FLYING JETPACK ZEPPELIN TOILETE...WITH ROCKETPUNCHESS)
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

How badly did everybodies first attempt at playing a diabolits go? Iknow mine was nothing short of an epic failure. Im kill cpunt consisted of our own teams rouge scholar and our guard dog.
Looonatic
Adventurer

Unread post by Looonatic »

My first character was a burster named FOOM!. The exclamation point was part of his name. Made for some very fun introductions.
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

That was 20 years ago. I think he was a juicer. The auto-dodge didn't save him from a missile volley.

My most memorable juicer was one that was allowed to have MDC. He kept his money in a big bag at his side that was also full of rattlesnakes. He figured anyone who tried to pick his pocket would have to get out REALLY fast. Since he was an MD being, he could take it just fine. :)

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
BrickThrone
D-Bee

Unread post by BrickThrone »

It was my Graduation and instead of sneaking in beer or going to a pool party my friends and I started a Rifts campaign. And the fool I was I created a Borg, partial conversion. He lasted all of 1 battle then I needed to make a Juicer and I never looked back. Life was better then.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

It was either a Full Conversion Borg named "Heavy Metal," or a Shifter named "Killer Cyborg From Heck."

Heavy Metal died at some point early on, but KC's still ticking.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Morgan Armstrong, a TMan escaped from the slave pits of Splynn.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

My first Rifts character was a superhuman vagabond. She died at sixth level in a hand to hand fight against War.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Glistam wrote:My first Rifts character was a superhuman vagabond. She died at sixth level in a hand to hand fight against War.

Huh.
Good God, ya'll!
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

The first character I played in Rifts was HU:Revised experiment with Vibration and APS:Electricity and 6 personalities. Our GM simply picked up the characters from our HU campaign and rifted us into North America doing a straight SDC->MDC conversion.

The first character that I actually made for Rifts was a human RMB Cyber Knight. Don't remember anything about him except that he had an SDC motorcycle that was destroyed within the first 30 seconds of game time.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

A FCC, Rogue Scholar and Cyber Knight.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Mechghost
Explorer

Unread post by Mechghost »

first character was a Psi-Stalker, right out of the (then) just released RMB, so 20 years ago? Lasted 10 minutes before being team killed by the crazy in the group who's idea of a practical joke was a fusion block stuck to the back of your helmet.
"Did you find him?"
"Just the parts they didn't like..."
Secondhand Smoke
Explorer
Comment: Dear life, when i said "can my life get any worse" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge

Unread post by Secondhand Smoke »

A minor psionic CS Nautical Commando (Houserule to have Hand to Hand Commando, because seriously it should be...)
Presence Sense and Telepathy.
I didn't roll to meet any of the attribute requirements lol :D, the GM of that group very kindly allowed me to roll a 1d4 for each stat that had an attribute requirement and allowed that amount to be added onto the requirement amount. I think he was very conscious it was my first rifts game and he was being very generous.
I managed to survive til level 3, I was killed by a Spluglorth Slaver after being separated from the group trying to protect civilians from being taken away :(
Insert philosophical quote here
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

A mind melter by the name of.... Daniel Stoker who ended up heading down to Mexico to help fight vampires even before there was a vampire book.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

A Elven Ley Line Walker. My firs time rolling for a Palladium rpg and I rolled a 30 in one stat. Don't remember which one.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Dargonsheinto
Newb

Unread post by Dargonsheinto »

Well my first rifts character was also my first rpg character.
He was a cyber knight that had a multiple personality disorder (two)
The original one was principled (dragon sheinto) and wanted to help anyone he could. And then a selfish one (gwanko Vera) that would do what ever benefited him. My first session had gwanko trying to take the taboo magic item of the group, the sword of Atlantis. Well it ended up being a trap so the minions of splugloth could experiment. My character got out with an absurd life node on his neck. (When I rolled for the total max in it I got about 775 total Mdc split between my character an the symbiote.) the last time I played him he was able to take the most damage in the group, but could not deal anywhere near the damage as the other character.

Return to “Rifts®”