What is Power Gaming?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

flatline
Knight

Re: What is Power Gaming?

Unread post by flatline »

Looonatic wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Looonatic wrote:And to think all this time I've been crafting interesting well-developed characters and enjoying the game.

I'm such a nincompoop.

I note the sarcasm, but why couldn't an interesting well-developed character be a power character or vise versa?

Edit: Unless of course your trying to be munchkin... then you've failed, but that should be considered a good thing.

Interesting well-developed characters certainly can be powerful. But I'm not sure that's what you mean. I think you refer to the quest for more power.

An interesting well-developed character will have his own goals and aspirations, and if that primary goal is merely the acquisition of power, that doesn't strike me as 'interesting' or 'well-developed'.

The acquisition of power should not be the goal, but it is a necessary step towards achieving the goal.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

flatline wrote:
Looonatic wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Looonatic wrote:And to think all this time I've been crafting interesting well-developed characters and enjoying the game.

I'm such a nincompoop.

I note the sarcasm, but why couldn't an interesting well-developed character be a power character or vise versa?

Edit: Unless of course your trying to be munchkin... then you've failed, but that should be considered a good thing.

Interesting well-developed characters certainly can be powerful. But I'm not sure that's what you mean. I think you refer to the quest for more power.

An interesting well-developed character will have his own goals and aspirations, and if that primary goal is merely the acquisition of power, that doesn't strike me as 'interesting' or 'well-developed'.

The acquisition of power should not be the goal, but it is a necessary step towards achieving the goal.

--flatline

As a wise ork once said... "Zubzub" :D

But I think I'll stay with exactly.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Dr. Doom III wrote:
Looonatic wrote:Interesting well-developed characters certainly can be powerful. But I'm not sure that's what you mean. I think you refer to the quest for more power.

To each his own.

Hey long time no read... and it is yet again a single line... oh well. :)
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Akashic Soldier wrote:
Looonatic wrote:An interesting well-developed character will have his own goals and aspirations, and if that primary goal is merely the acquisition of power, that doesn't strike me as 'interesting' or 'well-developed'.

Exactly.

Wow, going so far as to completely omit what he was responding to... :nh:... anyway. As I already said in much fewer words. Acquisition of power is a need to meet a lofty goal not the goal itself. All goals and aspirations will fall flat without sufficient power.
flatline
Knight

Rappanui wrote:His Group is All Loonies. That's all ( no Lawyers, No Munchkins, No power gamers AKA Real Men, that's what's left!)

That's what I thought when I read his post, but I think he's using "power gamer" to mean something more akin to a munchkin than what I have in mind when I use the term. His post implies that many 13 year old gamers are "power gamers" by his definition, so let's ask him.

Spinachcat, what do you consider a power gamer and why aren't they welcome at your table?

--flatline
flatline
Knight

Rappanui wrote:in my experience, teenage gamers are most certainly into power gaming. manliness and Honor honor and a (SHIN CHAN).

I have no idea what you just said.

--flatline
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:IMO, powergamers are gamers who likes to play games at 'epic' levels. they don't want to play a group of vagabonds scamming their way across a wilderness, they want to be the unit of glitter boy pilots taking on a whole CS battalion at the height of the seige on tolkeen. they don't want to be the down on their luck tramp freighter crew working odd-jobs to make ends meet. they want to be Cosmo-knights saving the universe from galaxy eating monstrosities.
basically, a powergamer is a gamer who beleives that 'you go big or you go home'. they want lots of personal power in their characters, but only because the opponents they're facing are so powerful. you know the line. 'with great power comes great responsibility'.

a munchkin wants personal power, but not the responsibility that comes with it. they want to be the unit of GB pilots scamming their way across the wilderness. the unit of cosmo-knights in a starship taking odd-jobs just to get by.

and of course, you have the 'real roleplayers'. who want to acheive the epic results, using non-epic characters. the unit of vagabons during the seige on tolkeen who's scam took out a whole Cs battalion. the tramp-freighter crew who managed to save the universe from the galaxy eating monstrosities.

to sum up...
Powergamers want powerful characters so as to take on powerful opposition.
Munchkins want powerful characters so as to take on weak opposition.
Real roleplayers want weak characters so as to take on powerful opposition.

That's pretty much my take on things, but I wasn't sure what to call that last group.
I've referred to it as "giants," as the opposite of Munchkins.

But that's the group I'm in, whatever you want to call it.
Though the other styles are fun from time to time as well.

I agree with these definitions. I also, would label 'real role-players' as something different. I think power gamers can be real roleplayers, they just like to start with 'epic' characters.

Normal = start weak and get better. Start with beating up low scum work way up to powerful scum. These will be guys playing human ley line walkers, dog-boys, vagabonds.
Powergamers will start off as powerful as allowed. They don't mind taking on things vastly better than them. They're starting with being super heroes, glitterboys, dragon hatchling. If your dog boy above is taking on glitter boys, then your powergaming GB doesn't mind taking on adult dragons. The power difference can be the same scale, but they just do not want to start looking wimpy. But, if everyone made dog boys, the powergamer is still making a GB.
Munchkin is the guy who wants to play the Heroes Unlimited mega-hero who pilots a glitterboy, which he tries to explain can then pilot a large robot (because, hey a GB is only like 10 foot tall and a 30 foot tall robot could be modified to be piloted by a Glitterboy, and yes both power armor HtH and Robot HtH stack) and fights dog boys, so he can leash them and get a pack of Dog boys piloting SAMAS, on leashes attached to his robots fingers, that give HIM 8 additional attacks per dog boy, cause..you know. And then wants to fight vagabonds who have S.D.C. weapons. If you bring in an adult dragon who can shred his robot and GB, then use uses magic and psionics to get past his invulnerablility, he calls shenanigans and says you just made that NPC only to kill his character and not a good and fair GM
flatline
Knight

Ah. That kind of behavior is not what I call "power gaming". I don't really have a label for goofing off. Power gaming, by my definition, is serious business.

--flatline
random_username
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Just an old dude Gamer (GM and Player) who had the honor of gaming with several great groups of folks over the years.

Unread post by random_username »

PLEASE NOTE: The updated version of this quick comparison system has been moved to its own posting.
http://palladium-megaverse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=129640

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is just kind of an overview way of approaching this general subject rather than a specific answer. Hopefully its still interesting and appropriate.

Most of the commonly used play style terms (power gamer, munchkin, etc) have varying degrees of negative connotations connected with them. (Why require terms if all is well hehe).

Ultimately such common play style labels tend to develop once players begin to exceed the "Intermediate" player status (see below). Above that level any imbalances between the Players' Characters' Competence levels and the GM's Campaign Challenge Level are usually what lead to offensive terminology.

BEGINNER (B):
Basically people start off with their best guess for building a character who ends up being completely obliterated in a remarkably spectacular or equally as likely remarkably unspectacular way. No real understanding of the basic game mechanics. May take several characters before overcoming this. Generally only occurs during first and possibly second campaign played in. Playing the game is like running through a minefield while blindfolded.
Play Style - Common Sense: Unarmored SDC player starts a fist fight with an apparent human who is actually a metamorphosed dragon (one of the more common - "Welcome to the mega-damage system" intros), etc.

NOVICE (N):
Has played several characters over time, usually in several campaigns and possibly with various GMs. Good grasp of the basic and essential game mechanics.
Play Style - Common Sense: Usually knows better than to badmouth the Glitterboy with the boom gun already pointed at him.

INTERMEDIATE (I) - VETERAN:
"Veteran" of numerous campaigns, may have been a GM for some. Comprehensively builds characters utilizing essential combinations of skills, abilities, equipment, and tactics. Almost always competently wins and finishes his appropriate 1-vs-1 portion of combat then moves on to aid other players, etc. This is essentially the standard competent player status.
Play Style Example - Tactics Possibility: Uses a jump, flip, or other maneuver/movement to get around opponent to gain that auto-critical from behind attack (RUE HTH Basic and Expert), etc.

ADVANCED (A) - HEROIC:
Veteran of even more campaigns, almost always has been a GM for at least one. Uses at least one truly exceptional, moderately obscure, combination of skills, abilities, equipment, and tactics. Able to competently regularly eliminate at least 2-to-1, as many as 5-to-1, or even 10-to-1 apparently similarly powerful opponents. Maintaining interesting and challenging combat situations (without reverting to extreme overkill) can begin to become a challenge for the GM. This is the "Heroic" level to which most players aim to achieve with their characters. Note: this is NOT a slaughterfest, the players are genuinely challenging their characters and wits to maintain this level of competence. The player's characters are still easy enough to understand that the GM can simply put in more powerful/higher level equivalent versions of them to keep things challenging if nothing else.
Play Style Example - Character Design Possibility: Autododges 90% to 95% of attacks (excluding missile vollyes of 4+).
A simple, cohesive teamwork-based party of this type might be:
- a Phaeton Juicer (original vehicle operating juicer) or possibly any type of autododging pilot as of RUE. Limited psionics (random minor/major, etc) can also help backup the TW activation (see below).
- operating a heavily modified Glitterboy Transport (WB22:FQ): maximized speed, extra MDC - especially force fields, Techno-Wizard additions - instantly renewable max MDC force fields, immunity to energy, possible stealth/invisibility options, etc. effectively autododging for the entire group/single vehicle. Easily modified to function as a mobile GB repair base and ammo loading/storage facility (huge storage/troop capacity). The small Reloader Hover Vehicle in WB22:FQ repairs/reloads GBs via minimal space.
- while most of the remaining party members operate glitterboys locked-in via feet anchors acting as turrets (4 or 6 maximum?). This turret portion is standard usage by design for this vehicle.
- while caster/psi folks co-pilot/activate/reactivate TW abilities on the transport. Especially refreshing maxed out MDC magic force field 150+ MDC each time it is depleted or nearly depleted = replaceable 150 MDC each time co-pilot/caster has an attack. Around 200+ PPE and/or ISP is ideal (both if possible) for several melees of constant MDC field refreshing.
- Boom Gun Ammo Option: possibly firing custom MD silver or MD wood boom gun flechette rounds for anti-supernatural capabilities and other custom ammo. There are several methods for making these: MD wood is very easy via various magics (finding a MDC forest, using Ironwood spell, etc); MD silver a bit more challenging to obtain and to make and it requires science or magic (Mystic Kuznya from WB18:MR, Rogue Scientist, etc; various forum postings address this type of stuff). Boom Gun Ammo is one of the easiest, cheapest, and most effective ammo to build customized versions of. Single shot, flechette rounds: grenade/mini-missile sized capsules of jagged MDC material slivers/shards launched by the electro-magnetism of the rail gun propelling the capsule. This means as long as the internal slivers are razor sharp MDC then any material is fine for full standard 3D6x10 MD. ANY degree of Weapon Engineer or equivalent (Field Armorer, etc) can build standard boom gun ammo out of battlefield scrap metal. This simple ammo can easily be built utilizing a simple weapon engineering tool kit (laser torch/scalpel) and possibly a simple workspace such as a bench/desk surface in a vehicle, a flat level tree stump or remains of a vehicle/robot vehicle. Add in a simple custom mold or two to precisely bend the metal for the outer casing around completes and radically speeds up the process. With materials properly arranged should be able to hand-make about 1 round per minute (60/hour). A properly programmed labor-bot could probably crank these out 24 hours a day if need be (1440/day at same rate). Very few rounds are used each combat so always having enough is easy to maintain by building them while traveling or during downtime. Even buying Boom Gun Ammo if need be is dirt cheap (<150 credits each, possibly as low as 1 or 2 credits each; RUE?). If need be can build or obtain the special materials elsewhere then bring them to a NPC weaponsmith to build them.
- no doubt many other possibilities or add-ons could be included as well, these are just some of the basics
- so presuming 4 GB as turrets on the party transport +1 autododging pilot +1 caster/psi this group should be able to take out 12 to 60 stationary organized GB opponents; mostly due to the benefit of the transport pilot's autododge further protected by the caster's instantly renewable 150+ MDC force shield absorbing up to that amount for each of the caster's attacks. Anti-missile defense system(s) also essential for shooting down incoming volleys of 4+ missiles (can't autododge them) = mini missile launcher (common availability, least expensive missiles, less storage space) possibly using the pilot's actual attacks and/or requiring another party member as a designated gunner/missile shooter (possibly a labor robot with combat programs instead). Further, the Impervious to Energy eliminates roughly half of the hi-tech weapons and missiles from being able to do damage. Of the remaining physical damage weapons most are rail guns (burst weapons with low attack bonuses), the less powerful missile types (fragmentation, armor piercing), or melee weapons. Further: could use the TW invisibility (superior) addition for stealthy quick exits from overwhelming combat, etc.
- Combat Note 1: Statistically at 20 or more opponents means at least one of them is rolling a natural 20 each round which can only be autododged on a natural 20.
- Combat Note 2: Ironically the GBs as "turrets" should require a basic called shot to be hit.
- GB Transport's various built-in weapon systems allow non-GB party members to have other combat options available to them.
- Individually: When unable to utilize the GB Transport (indoors, underground, etc) each member of that team should still be able to function in at least lower end of the Advanced category. As listed above the characters' key basic gear is fairly straightforward. Only the very basic elements of the characters are listed: 1 autododging pilot (possibly with limited psionics), 1 caster (with high PPE and possibly ISP as well), 4 GB pilots (many class possibilities), +1 missile countermeasures gunner (most likely a combat programmed labor robot), plus room for several more crew/party members.
- Combined Output: As GB Transport combat team functioning as 6 medium to upper end Advanced characters. As a team via this combo they might be able to take on 1 lesser VT/Epic character.
- TW Modification Note: TW Mods in RUE can basically be used to build or modify virtually anything in any way. The original Rifts Main Book had a limited selection of specific TW Mods (RMB p93). The above mods essentially just use the original mods for simplicity. The comprehensive "anything TW" RUE building system further enables TW Mods, TW Items, or TW Variations that are not on that list. Using the RMB list for inspiration and the anything's possible under the RUE TW system could just simplify the: Armor of Ithan for the MDC, just use double or triple the RMB power armor PPE creation costs and credit/BMI cost per 10 MDC. Aim for a level 15 Techno-Wizard to initially build the modifications. Various possibilities allow for higher than level 15 beings: Ancient Dragons, Sea Titans (WB7: Underseas), quite possibly any XP class that uses the dragon XP table, exceptional beings that exceed level 15 (main doctor in WB13: Lone Star, etc), etc. A higher MDC per level spell effect might be possible as well.
- CS Note: This is probably a good example of why the CS doesn't like people running around with GB gear (hehe).
- Overall Basic Crew Nicknames: Prosek's Bane, Prosek's Headache, CS Hunters, @#%@#ing Autododging Flying Glitterboys, Air-to-Air GBs, GB Jets, etc.

VARIOUS TERMINOLOGY (VT) - EPIC:
The combinations of species/subspecies, abilities, skills, tactics, and/or equipment have reached brutal levels of effectiveness. Huge portions of core material opponents are completely ineffective vs the characters. These "Epic" characters have brutally effective combinations of:
- immunity to energy and/or physical: invulnerability major superpower, werebeasts, vampires, well built evil shaman converted human-ish being (Spirit West or New West), etc combined with other abilities;
- have thousands of easily renewable MDC (possibly instantly and ideally full recovery in less than 1 hour; less than 10 minutes is better; less than 1 day may still be feasible): force fields - major superpower, magic tattoos + high level, huge SDC to MDC conversion via Japanese Mystic Martial Arts powers + Sixth Sense to always activate in time + easy SDC healing, etc;
- huge MD attacks inflicting sustainable hundreds or even thousands of MD per hit requiring only one attack for each such damage: custom built TW Annihilator weapons (2d4x100 MD per hit, auto-hit if 30 feet or less range - NO dodge or autododge, total disintegration if even 1 MD of overkill - includes vampires, etc.); Master Psychic Cyber-Knight (extra MD: 1D6 CWC, fairly sure its +4D6 as of RUE) dual wield Psi-Swords + Gene-splicer x2 (= +100% base) one psi-power damage + psyscape training x2 (= +100% base) of same + high level = dual wielding two 21D6 psi-swords CWCyberKnights (30D6 RUE?) with no ISP cost or duration limits, toss in south america psi-sword augmenting device for more MD, or if multi-arm/limb effect is allowed use 4-arm being, plus autocrit x3 attacking from behind (HTH Expert + medium level character), etc.
- ridiculous mobility: faster than any opponents, constant teleporting, stealth/phasing, huge autododge (natural 20 to be hit for 90%+ of opponents), etc.
- various other abilities, contacts, etc: rune weapon building, etc.
Characters are generally so complicated that the GM has a tough time gauging their power level and may end up allowing characters that are far more powerful / invulnerable than expected. A character will probably achieve some degree of game breaking ability. Ultimately the GM has to be equally ridiculous to keep things interesting but it probably requires custom empires, creatures, etc. GM biggest problem is often that anything he uses that can actually be a challenge to one such character might instantly slaughter other party members even if similarly powerful but in different ways. This is often where GMs become truly fiendish. An appropriate setting might be open warfare in Atlantis that appropriately humbles the characters into more subtle tactics (even the immune to magic characters have a bad day; even combined with immunity to physical and energy, the common availability of psi-attacks still do damage and effects).
Play Style Example - Combined Abilities Effectiveness: Able to either completely destroy or completely bypass all opponents from a particular empire (especially CS with limited psionics, and limited independent vanguard magic). Could literally zip through enemy lines kill Prosek and zip back out again.
Best Usage: GM who has specifically designed a campaign to function for this power level of characters and is capable of comfortably running such a campaign. If this is anything more than a constant mild to moderate challenge for the GM then the campaign will not likely last very long.
Note: this category can cover a wide range of capabilities. Being able to bypass enemy lines of the CS and kill Prosek is one level of achievement (due to a gap in their defensive and/or sensory abilities, etc.). However being able to bypass the enemy lines of the Splugorth in Atlantis and kill Lord Splynncryth is a very different achievement (impenetrable defenses within pyramids and other important structures vs teleporting, dimensional incursions, presumably various phasing types, etc).

The following summary is essentially the balance between the Players' Characters' Competence levels and the GM's Campaign Challenge Level. Experienced gamers can usually accurately gauge their own characters, approximate other players characters, and the GMs typical campaign.
- BNI: Ultimately any combination of players and GM that are of Beginner, Novice, and Intermediate can usually result in a fun game session.
- A: Having any Advanced players usually require most remaining players and the GM be of either Intermediate or Advanced competence as well.
- VT: The Various Terminology level generally requires calm, patient, mature players and GM or it can easily degenerate into frustration for any/all participants at any moment. Advanced characters seem more like Beginner characters if played at this level of campaign.

Ultimately most terminology occurs when one or more players have characters that are operating at a more effective level than the GM can easily deal with. Inter-party character competence can be problematic as well but that usually just results in a dead character which is then replaced by a usually more competent character.

The remaining defining factor is each Player's maturity and the GM's maturity. Game with good folks plus the above balanced game elements and most likely have a good gaming session/campaign.

{Edited numerous times to better clarify content.}
Last edited by random_username on Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 71 times in total.
If something makes the RPG experience better that's great. If not don't use it.

If not overly informative hopefully it was at least mildly amusing. Munchkin Clown Away! <fwoosh... honk, honk>
flatline
Knight

I don't think I've ever known a GM that would allow a character to be created as complicated as some of those, but I can see how a standard character might, over the course of a campaign, acquire a variety of skills, items, and/or powers that can make them extremely dangerous.

If a character becomes either too difficult for the GM to handle or ruins the fun for everyone else, then the proper thing to do is ask the player how they want to retire the character and move on. A retired PC can be a great NPC and it gives the world a feeling of continuity for the players.

--flatline
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

At times I can be a power gamer.

For games where Everyone is playing a character with Alot of Power I like to bring out Silvie.

Silviana Thrasher
The Demigoddess who calls herself Silviana Thrasher was born in 92 PA. Her mother Hedda Okamura was a talented shifter who worshipped the old Celtic Pantheon. Her father is the god Gwyn ap Nudd although Silviana tells people that he is a being called the Keeper of Shadows. Sadly when she was three her mother was pulled into another dimension by a demon lord that her mother was in the process of banishing. This left her and her brother in the care of Wade, a friend of their mother's and a wilderness scout. Over the next several years it became obvious to both her brother, John, and her guardian, Wade, that she was a supernatural being. Given the few types of supernatural beings that can impregnate a human, it became obvious that Silviana was a demigoddess. When she was seven some unknown being hired a group of local thugs to try and kill her. Her brother and his friends annihilated the thugs and drove off the being sponsoring them. A couple of years latter her brother left to go off adventuring and Silviana started training to follow somewhat in his footsteps. Her thirteenth birthday brought her two things, an increase in psychic power to full fledged Burster status and after performing several coming of age rituals Shifter magic. This awakening of supernatural power caused a shift in her training from combat to supernatural lore. She completed her training and took an Iron Horse to Juarez to see her friend and Lover, Chula. She found the city to be too backwards and ignorant for her tastes. Heading north again along the Colorado river she met Cleo. They had both signed up as guards for a merchant heading North. Durring the trip they found themselves preparing for the same ritual. Finding that Cleo effectivly worshiped her family, Silvie asked Cleo to join her. Soon Silvie had deflowered and taken the Widowmaker as her lover. The pair have settled in a box canyon in Colorado and have been working Together on jobs. Normally they get along great together, but occationally they have cultural isues. Most recently it was because Silvie accepted a girl by the name of Rosita Li as payment for a job.

Name: Silviana Thrasher
Alignment: Unprincipled
Race: Demigoddess with a Human Mother
Attributes
I.Q.: 16
M.E.: 17
M.A.: 19
P.S.: 25
P.P.: 21
P.E.: 20
P.B.: 19
Spd.: 25
Hit points:
SDC:
MDC: 100
Height: 6 feet 0 inches (1.83m), Weight: 165 lbs. ( 75.3kg). Age: 9 in PA 101, 17 in PA 108
PPE: 114 , ISP: 137
Horror Factor: 10 when recognized as a supernatural creature
Experience Level: 2nd level Momano Headhunter
Experience points: 3,877
OCC Skills: Demon & Monster lore (55%),Magic and Ley Line Lore (50%/40%/35%), Psionics Lore(45%), Art(60%), Photography( 60%), Basic Mathematics(70%), Basic Radio(65%), Computer Operation(60%), Tracking Humanoids(50%), Land Navigation (54%), Wilderness Survival(50%), Read Sensory Equipment(50%), Automobile(74%),
OCC Related Skills: Armorer(55%), Basic Mechanics (50%)
Secondary Skills: cooking (45%), Sewing(50%)
Languages: American(82%), Demongogian(74%), Japanese(75%), Dragonese(75%),
Weapons Proficiencies: Sword, Assault Rifle, Energy Rifle, and Sub-Machinegun.
Special Abilities: Impervious to fire, Electricity resistant(Half Damage), cold resistant( half damage), 1D6X5 MD regeneration per minute, Defic Shifter,
OCC Abilities: Burster
Psionics:
Sensitive: Mind Block, See Aura, and Telepathy.
Burster:
Extinguish fires(range: 120 feet over a 400 foot radius. ISP: 4)
Flame burst(Duration: four minutes, ISP: 4)
Firebolt(range: 240 feet, ISP: 2)
Fire Eruption(range: 140 feet, Skill: 56%, ISP: 10, Radius of effect: 30 feet)
Sense fire(ISP:2)
Super Fuel Flame (ISP:8)
Spell Knowledge: Calling (8), Call Lightning (15), Compulsion (20), Constrain Being (20), Dimensional Portal (1,000), Energy Bolt (5), Energy Field (10), Exorcism (30), Repel Animals (7), Re-Open Gateway (180), Sense Evil (2), Sense Magic (4), Trance (10), Shadow Meld (10), Summon and Control Canines (50), Summon and Control Rodents (70), Sustain (12), Time Slip (20), Turn Dead (6), Tongues (10), Banishment (65), Charm (12), Close Rift (200), Commune with Spirits (25), Control and Enslave Entity (80), D-step (50), Desiccate the Supernatural (50), Dimensional Teleport (800), Dispel Magical Barriers (20), Distant Voice (10), Domination (10), Energy Disruption (12), Energy Sphere (120), Expel Demons (35), Force Bonds (25), Influence the Beast (12), Ley Line Transmission (30), Locate (30), Magic Pigeon ( 20), Mystic Portal (60), Phantom Mount (45), Plane Skip (65), Power Bolt (20), Protection Circle: Simple (45), Protection Circle: Superior (300), Reality Flux (75), Rift to Limbo (160), Rift Teleportation (200), Sheltering Force (20), Tame Beast (30), Teleport: Lesser (15), Teleport: Superior (600), Time Hole (210), Summon Greater Familiar (80), Summon Shadow Beast (140), Summon & Control Animals(125), Summon Lesser Being (425), Summon & Control Sea Serpents (350), Blinding Flash (1), Cloud of Smoke (2), Death Trance (1), Globe of Daylight (2), Lantern Light (1), See Aura (6), See the Invisible (4), Sense Evil (2), Sense Magic (4), Thunderclap (4), Aura of Power (4), Befuddle (6), Chameleon (6), Cleanse (6), Cloak of Darkness (6), Concealment (6), Detect Concealment (6), Extinguish Fire (4), Fear (5), Heavy Breathing (5), Levitation (5), Manipulate Objects (2+), Mystic Alarm (5), Shatter (5), Throwing stones (5),
Combat training: Hand to hand Martial arts
Attacks per Melee: 4
Combat Bonuses: +5 on initiative, +2 save vs. piscine attack, +1 save vs. Insanity, 55% chance to invoke trust or intimidate, +10 to damage, +6 to strike, +6 to Parry, +6 to dodge, +30% to save vs., coma/death, +3 to save versus poison, +5 save versus magic, 45% chance to charm or impress, +12 save vs. Horror factor, +3 to pull punch, +5 to roll with punch/ fall/impact, +4 save vs. possession, +1 to perception, +3 to save vs. mind control.
Equipment: Desert BDU's, night camouflage BDU's, civilian clothing, silver pentacle, web belt, gas mask,1 quart canteens(x2), gunsmithing tool kit, PC-3000 hand-held computer, portable language translator, PDD pocket audio recorder/player, pocket laser distancer, field radio, pocket flashlight, signal mirror, RMK kit, IRMSS kit, tinted goggles, hatchet, knapsack, pup tent, backpack, duffel bag, combat rations (3 week supply), personal items(think of things found in purses).
Armor:
Crusader EBA
* MDC: Helmet: 35/35 Main Body: 55/55 Arms: 20/20(L), 20/20(R) Legs: 30/30(L), 30/30(R)
* No mobility penalties
* Market cost: $40,000

Branaghan overcoat
* MDC: Main Body: 28/28 Arms: 8/8(L), 8/8(R) Legs: 12/12(L), 12/12(R)
*-5% to prowl, gymnastics. acrobatics, and Swim.
* Market cost: $12,000

DPM D0 Dog Boy riot armor
* MDC: Main Body: 50/50 Arms: 12/12(L), 12/12(R) Legs: 20/20(L), 20/20(R)
* No mobility penalties
* Market cost: $18,000

Weapons:
NinjaTo
Weight: 3 lbs.( 1.4kg), SDC Damage: 2D4 Market Cost: $500

Mk 14 Mod 1(Note: This is a modernized version of the M14 battle rifle. It retains the origional reciver but the rest of the weapon is improved. A bipod and telescopic sight are mounted on Silvie's.)
Weight: 10lbs. 6oz. (4.73kg.) SDC Damage: 5D6 Rate of Fire: standard Range: 3,280 feet(1,00M) Payload: 5, 10,20, 25 round magazine, or 50 round drum Bonuses: +2 to strike on an aimed shot, Market Cost: $2,500
20 Round Magazine(X5)
7.62mm M-62 Tracer: 40 rounds
7.62mm M-80 Full Metal Jacket: 80 rounds
7.62mm M-993 Armor Piercing: 80 rounds

NG-P7 Particle Beam Rifle
Weight: 21lbs. (9.45kg.) MDC Damage: 2D4X10 Rate of Fire: standard Range: 1,200 feet( 365M) Payload: 6 or 10 shot Magazines or a 40 shot power pack Market Cost: $22,000
Long Energy Magazines(X5)

Mini-Uzi (Note: this weapon has been in the Thrasher Family since the Great Cataclism. It has been used by both hero and Villan alike. It was given to Silvie by her brother with the hopes that she uses it better than the last family member who owned it.)
Weight: 5lbs. 15oz. (2.70kg.) SDC Damage: 2D6 Rate of Fire: standard Range: 492 feet(150M) Payload: 20, 25, 32,or 40 round magazines Market Cost: $900
Shoulder Holster
32 round Magazine(X5)
9mm Jacketed Hollow Points: 300 rounds

Silver Plated Vibro Sword
Weight: 4 lbs.( 1.8kg), MDC Damage: 2D6 Market Cost: $16,500

wooden Stakes(12)
Money: 13,582 credits, She's trying to find a perminant home and equip Rosita.
Vehicle: She currently owns a M1165 HMMWV.

Now is she really powerful...Heck Yeah! is she all powerful with millions of credits worth of gear, thousands of PPE and a company worth of loyal minios? No and the character doesn't want that level of power...yet.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
flatline
Knight

Out of curiosity, if the energy field around the vibrosword blade prevents the blade from physically touching the target, how does being silver plated help you?

Or is it as simple as activate the vibrosword for MD, don't activate it for silver damage?

--flatline
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

flatline wrote:Or is it as simple as activate the vibrosword for MD, don't activate it for silver damage?

--flatline

That's how I would rule it as for the most part that doesn't come up and it's an OCC starting weapon. Personally I would much rather have a Ninjato made from a Megadamage alloy Alloy and then perminantly enchanted either via nightbane or rendered indestructable/eturnally sharp via a PF alchemist. Both are very expensive and might not be possible on Rifts earth but either would damage most things she would face.

Bonus Character Picture
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
zaccheus
Explorer

Unread post by zaccheus »

For me a "power-gamer" is simply a player that when creating his character tries to make him as effective as possible. This often times means effective in combat, but not necessarily. I actually prefer power gamers because as I GM I find it more interesting to use monsters besides giant rats, bats, and stray dogs the first 30 sessions. I like a group that can handle their own, spies who are actually good at spying, 'borgs who are good at beatin down squishies, and mages who are good at magiking. This really opens up the possibilities as a GM in terms of being able to challenge them with actually interesting antagonists. This doesn't mean my games are defficient on roleplaying, in fact most sessions don't involve any dice at all, but it irritates me to no end when players make characters that can't do anything epic. If you can't build a decent character that is good at what they do, ie powergame, minmax or whatever to at least some extent, you probably shouldn't be playing a game like rifts. Paranoid and My little pony roleplaying games come to mind though. On this thread in my opinion a lot of people are confusing Munchkin'ing with power gaming, they are very different. A munchkin is someone who brings a rocket launcher to a foot ball game, a power gamer is someone who trains, and trains hard, for the game, and plays to the best of his abilities; there is a big difference.
Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Unread post by Athos »

zaccheus wrote:For me a "power-gamer" is simply a player that when creating his character tries to make him as effective as possible. This often times means effective in combat, but not necessarily. I actually prefer power gamers because as I GM I find it more interesting to use monsters besides giant rats, bats, and stray dogs the first 30 sessions. I like a group that can handle their own, spies who are actually good at spying, 'borgs who are good at beatin down squishies, and mages who are good at magiking. This really opens up the possibilities as a GM in terms of being able to challenge them with actually interesting antagonists. This doesn't mean my games are defficient on roleplaying, in fact most sessions don't involve any dice at all, but it irritates me to no end when players make characters that can't do anything epic. If you can't build a decent character that is good at what they do, ie powergame, minmax or whatever to at least some extent, you probably shouldn't be playing a game like rifts. Paranoid and My little pony roleplaying games come to mind though. On this thread in my opinion a lot of people are confusing Munchkin'ing with power gaming, they are very different. A munchkin is someone who brings a rocket launcher to a foot ball game, a power gamer is someone who trains, and trains hard, for the game, and plays to the best of his abilities; there is a big difference.

Well said... and as a GM, I wholeheartedly agree, there is nothing more aggravating than a useless PC in the party, except maybe for when said PC is played by a whiner. :)
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

glitterboy2098 wrote:IMO, powergamers are gamers who likes to play games at 'epic' levels. they don't want to play a group of vagabonds scamming their way across a wilderness, they want to be the unit of glitter boy pilots taking on a whole CS battalion at the height of the seige on tolkeen. they don't want to be the down on their luck tramp freighter crew working odd-jobs to make ends meet. they want to be Cosmo-knights saving the universe from galaxy eating monstrosities.
basically, a powergamer is a gamer who beleives that 'you go big or you go home'. they want lots of personal power in their characters, but only because the opponents they're facing are so powerful. you know the line. 'with great power comes great responsibility'.

a munchkin wants personal power, but not the responsibility that comes with it. they want to be the unit of GB pilots scamming their way across the wilderness. the unit of cosmo-knights in a starship taking odd-jobs just to get by.

and of course, you have the 'real roleplayers'. who want to acheive the epic results, using non-epic characters. the unit of vagabons during the seige on tolkeen who's scam took out a whole Cs battalion. the tramp-freighter crew who managed to save the universe from the galaxy eating monstrosities.

to sum up...
Powergamers want powerful characters so as to take on powerful opposition.
Munchkins want powerful characters so as to take on weak opposition.
Real roleplayers want weak characters so as to take on powerful opposition.

This is all true but still far too narrow in scope I believe.
For example, I consider myself a power-gamer and my current character represents that fact and yet he is no more capable than your average grunt.
He is an Elf Archer. He has been min/maxed for absolute efficiency even using optional rules from Rifters - aside from not having maximum possible stats and not being the max level or dual classed into gaining bonuses from about 5 different O.C.C.s, he is pretty much as effective as an Archer can possibly be.
Still due to a bow being his weapon of choice and everyone else is piloting PAs and carrying heavy weaponry, he doesn't compare very well.

I guess I am a powergamer who is only capable of taking on weak opposition which by your definition would put me somewhere halfway between being a Power-gamer and Munchkin.
flatline
Knight

I think it's clear that "power gamer" does not necessarily imply "powerful character". The only constant appears to be that a power gamer desires a challenge whether it be against a seemingly superior opponent or simply to survive or succeed despite some limiting constraints (like our elf archer who is trying to be competitive in a game where other players are objectively much more powerful).

Nethack, especially played with conducts, has got to be the ultimate training grounds for power gamers.

--flatline
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

flatline wrote:I think what is 'clear' is that "power gamer" does not necessarily imply "powerful character". The only constant appears to be that a power gamer desires a challenge whether it be against a seemingly superior opponent or simply to survive or succeed despite some limiting constraints (like our elf archer who is trying to be competitive in a game where other players are objectively much more powerful).

Nethack, especially played with conducts, has got to be the ultimate training grounds for power gamers.

--flatline

I disagree it is 'clear'. I think it is clear that different people have different definitions of power gamer. Before the internet, I never heard power gamer/power gaming used in this way. My group would never call the player of a weak character who wants power and does everything to get power a 'power gamer'. We would say the character has the motivation of <power> (we use motivation as an add on to alignment-explain later). Power gamer for us always means the player will make the character as powerful as can be, and may try to 'mommy, may I?' the GM for extra perks. They do not like killing orcs; they like to kill orc Deities, and they want to do it with a powerful character, from the get-go. They do not want to start weak and get cool, they want to start cool and get cooler.

My group uses motivation in addition to alignment, sometimes instead of alignment. We feel that sometimes a person will go 'against' alignment in specific circumstances. A principled or scrupulous character might lie, steal, kill to protect or provide for him family, if he has a motivation of 'Family first', but never do so for other reasons. Alternatively, one might have Power as a motivation and does what he can to gain power. Motivations we often use: Power, Protection, Deity, Knowledge, and Wealth.

Return to “Rifts®”