Some questions abou the Fencing as a skill

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dunia
Adventurer

Some questions abou the Fencing as a skill

Unread post by Dunia »

Fencing (Physical)

From RUE (Page 316):
This is the formal art of fighting with a sword and dagger. This includes not only Olympic style fencing with a foil epee or sabre, but also kendo (the use of a samurai katana) and other blades. Swordsmanship is practiced in many places and is also all the rage, especially among the nobility, for its flashy looks and the amount of blood it can spill.
Bonuses: +1 to Strike and parry with a sword or dagger and +1D6 to damage with a sword.
Requires: WP Sword (WP dagger is optional)

So here are my questions:

1) Are these bonuses (and damage bonus) ok to add to a Vibro Knife/sword/katana and other MD Sword/daggers?

2) Are these bonuses ok to add to fight with a Psi Sword?

3) Is the damage bonus ok to add to a Psi Sword (as you know where to hit to maximize damage)?

4) If I get one of those handles from South America that adds to teh Psi Sword's damage, can I add this damage as well, as I now hold a hilt/handle instead of just mental projection of a blade.

5) Are these bonuses cummulative with Hand to Hand: Kendo or the Samurai fighting style?

6) Are these bonuses cummulative when using magic spells that conjure up a sword of fire, light, magical energies?
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Re: Some questions abou the Fencing as a skill

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

Dunia wrote:Fencing (Physical)

From RUE (Page 316):
This is the formal art of fighting with a sword and dagger. This includes not only Olympic style fencing with a foil epee or sabre, but also kendo (the use of a samurai katana) and other blades. Swordsmanship is practiced in many places and is also all the rage, especially among the nobility, for its flashy looks and the amount of blood it can spill.
Bonuses: +1 to Strike and parry with a sword or dagger and +1D6 to damage with a sword.

1) Are these bonuses (and damage bonus) ok to add to a Vibro Knife/sword/katana and other MD Sword/daggers?

Yes where applicable.

Dunia wrote:2) Are these bonuses ok to add to fight with a Psi Sword?

As long as you're using WP Sword/Knife to wield that [psi sword].

Dunia wrote:3) Is the damage bonus ok to add to a Psi Sword (as you know where to hit to maximize damage)?

As long as you're using WP Sword to wield that [psi sword].

Dunia wrote:4) If I get one of those handles from South America that adds to teh Psi Sword's damage, can I add this damage as well, as I now hold a hilt/handle instead of just mental projection of a blade.

Yes.

Dunia wrote:5) Are these bonuses cummulative with Hand to Hand: Kendo or the Samurai fighting style?

Yes.

Dunia wrote:6) Are these bonuses cummulative when using magic spells that conjure up a sword of fire, light, magical energies?

As long as you're using WP sword/knife to wield those magic blades.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Dunia wrote:Fencing (Physical)

From RUE (Page 316):

Probably yes
2) Are these bonuses ok to add to fight with a Psi Sword?
that is a reasonable assumption to make
3) Is the damage bonus ok to add to a Psi Sword (as you know where to hit to maximize damage)?
most definitatly
4) If I get one of those handles from South America that adds to teh Psi Sword's damage, can I add this damage as well, as I now hold a hilt/handle instead of just mental projection of a blade.
probably.
5) Are these bonuses cummulative with Hand to Hand: Kendo or the Samurai fighting style?
all palladium bonuses are cumulative except when specifically mentioned.
6) Are these bonuses cummulative when using magic spells that conjure up a sword of fire, light, magical energies?

yes.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

1) Are these bonuses (and damage bonus) ok to add to a Vibro Knife/sword/katana and other MD Sword/daggers? Depends on who you ask. Some will say that the d6 is only Normal Damage, and others will say it adds to the d6 to the blade damage no matter if it does MD or ND.

2) Are these bonuses ok to add to fight with a Psi Sword? Psi-Swords only the +1 to S&P.

3) Is the damage bonus ok to add to a Psi Sword (as you know where to hit to maximize damage)? This is covered by my answer to question #2. Psi-Swords do not get the PS bonus from the PS score.

4) If I get one of those handles from South America that adds to the Psi Sword's damage, can I add this damage as well? Depends of your GM. I would say answer #2 covers this also.

5) Are these bonuses cummulative with Hand to Hand: Kendo or the Samurai fighting style? If used with the simplified hand to hand forms in the "other then N&S and MV books" yes they stack. With the Martial Arts Forms, they might not stack, depending on the GM.

6) Are these bonuses cummulative when using magic spells that conjure up a sword of fire, light, magical energies? They do give their bonuses when used with conjured magic swords.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:1) Are these bonuses (and damage bonus) ok to add to a Vibro Knife/sword/katana and other MD Sword/daggers?

Depends on who you ask. Some will say that the d6 is only Normal Damage, and others will say it adds to the d6 to the blade damage no matter if it does MD or ND.

Opinions sure do seem to vary on this issue, agreed. Based on SDC/MDC although I have tended to abbreviate 'damage' (or 'normal damage' as you say) as 'dmg' I am thinking SD (structural damage) would make sense too.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:2) Are these bonuses ok to add to fight with a Psi Sword?

Psi-Swords only the +1 to S&P.

I dunno... dat PU1 power Living Anatomy adds a damage from knowing where to hit, conceivably fencing might do something similar.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:3) Is the damage bonus ok to add to a Psi Sword (as you know where to hit to maximize damage)?

This is covered by my answer to question #2. Psi-Swords do not get the PS bonus from the PS score.
Yeah but Fencing and HtH damage bonuses are not the PS score. Since added damage is established to also come from WHERE one is hit, as opposed to excluisively meaning how much force, we probably should entertain that idea.

Of course, prior to the Living Anatomy dilemma introduced by Powers Unlimited, I can't remember whether or not any distinctly target-based force-unbased examples of damage bonuses existed. Fencing and HtH are a bit ambiguous, we don't know if it is extra-force damage like PS or better-targetting damage like Living Anatomy.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

I view technique as allowing for that to carry over to md which would include damage bonuses based in hand to hand based on weapon damage. So yeah 2 separate damage bonus might have to factor in. More complicated but worth a 6 -10+ additional damage
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Yes it is mater of interpretation but normally damage in rifts is tagged with an identifier of SDC or MD? Weapons without the tag scale to the target in sdc and mdc (by the way non magical MD is normal damage just on a higher scale.) so using that as a basis there is justification. Also conversion book 1 set the standard that skill bonus damage can apply to MD. Rue set it so it is based off of ps or weapon but to my knowledge does not address skill other than in dragon hand to hand.

In the end weather or not it works is subject to a call by your GM or group.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Blue_Lion wrote:normally damage in rifts is tagged with an identifier of SDC or MD? Weapons without the tag scale to the target in sdc and mdc (by the way non magical MD is normal damage just on a higher scale.)
I can not think of a source that would support this. I have seen situations of some weapons that inflict identical amounts of damage and mega-damage depending on the target, but this is explicitly spelled out. If -damage- would suffice then I do not know why they would pad it out like that.

Blue_Lion wrote:conversion book 1 set the standard that skill bonus damage can apply to MD.

I do not remember this in either of the CB1s and was wondering if someone could point out which page says to do that.

Also keeping in mind that one can add SDC damage to an MD attack or a MD bonus to a SDC attack. Meaning that adding a bonus to one or the other does not necessarily mean that the amount added is of the same nature.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Tor wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:normally damage in rifts is tagged with an identifier of SDC or MD? Weapons without the tag scale to the target in sdc and mdc (by the way non magical MD is normal damage just on a higher scale.)
I can not think of a source that would support this. I have seen situations of some weapons that inflict identical amounts of damage and mega-damage depending on the target, but this is explicitly spelled out. If -damage- would suffice then I do not know why they would pad it out like that.

Blue_Lion wrote:conversion book 1 set the standard that skill bonus damage can apply to MD.

I do not remember this in either of the CB1s and was wondering if someone could point out which page says to do that.

Also keeping in mind that one can add SDC damage to an MD attack or a MD bonus to a SDC attack. Meaning that adding a bonus to one or the other does not necessarily mean that the amount added is of the same nature.

(I was saying that it was a topic of debate and simply listing points for both sides my intent was not to argue for one side but responding to one sided request like this may misrepresent my stance.)
The fist part is easy a weapon in a rifts book they normally list damage as either SDC or MD. The only weapons I know of in rifts without a type of damage tag are ones that scale.
**Further there is the damage note on page 326 of RUE- Damage note: The damage listed with each ancient weapon is SDC/hit point damage. However high-tech or magical Mega-damage equivalent weapons inflict same number of damage dice only it is MD not SDC.
<As the weapon in question was vibro-blade the damage note says the damage would be MDC>

I may have named the wrong book been a while since I needed the part on physical skills and MDC creatures, will check the books early source books and see if I can locate it when I get time.

To clarify my knowledge- Rue changed the MD weapons/attack damage staking and I know of no physical skills other than dragon hand to hand that are stated to add to MD dealt by MDc creatures in rue. That is the justification for saying it no longer stacks.
Again my goal was not to take sides but inform on points that can be used in both sides of a debate in the end it is up to the GM or group to decide if it would be allowed.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Topic Locked for pointless necromancy when there's another active topic on this same subject.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.

Return to “Rifts®”