Palladium Books is looking to expand into other media

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Palladium Books is looking to expand into other media

Unread post by Swift-13 »

Suicycho wrote:Why palladium hasn't cashed in on the ebook market simply boggles my mind. They have so much intellectual property that would provide hundreds of novels. They could literally print their own money with ebooks.

They've started publishing PDFs of some of their older titles. I'd love to see the newer titles, too (and no, not the previews; those are such a tease!). As far as e-books, they'd have to take time from writing sourcebooks to write novels, or hire other writers, which takes more money.
Remember who you wanted to be.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

They tried novels once, but they read like r rated movies edited to run on network TV. I wish they'd give it another go
Fell
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Fell »

Riftmaker wrote:They tried novels once, but they read like r rated movies edited to run on network TV. I wish they'd give it another go

Me too, course I just mailed a Rifts Novel to them heh.

I'd enjoy reading some Rifts Books if they ever made any, or Chaos Earth....

Also really hoping Rifts comics get rolling and out to the public too. They've hinted at comics for a while.
Dan Frederick
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Brionic wrote:The N gage video game was well received and quite honestly a remastered version with more rifts OCC could be something worth doing, on Steam or something, but guess, not quite sure about the copyrights. Worst come to worst, a new video game might the best choice.

Why? Looking for something new on your Ngage?

If they are going to do a video game, they should do it for PC then port it over to console later. :)
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

Borast wrote:
Brionic wrote:The N gage video game was well received and quite honestly a remastered version with more rifts OCC could be something worth doing, on Steam or something, but guess, not quite sure about the copyrights. Worst come to worst, a new video game might the best choice.

Why? Looking for something new on your Ngage?

If they are going to do a video game, they should do it for PC then port it over to console later. :)

Personally, I'd love to see Promise of Power on an actual system of any other variety. I know Palladium didn't choose the N*Gag, but that thing was dead out of the water. The beautiful thing about Palladium's different properties is their really unlimited potential! Even Dead Reign, a zombie game, stands out among zombie games, because it uses elements of supernatural horror, rather than "virus/infected" zombies. That makes them a lot harder for the average person (in-game, that is) to rationalize why there are zombies in the first place.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

CyCo wrote:This is the topic that never ends,
It just goes on and on my friends,
Some people started posting on it not knowing what it was,
And they'll continue posting on it forever because...
This is the topic that never ends,
It just goes on and on my friends,
Some people started posting on it not knowing what it was,
And they'll continue posting on it forever because...

Nope here it was.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

What? Just because you say so? Blahahahahaaa! It continues!
My thoughts: I wouldn't mind seeing Palladium pick up the TMNT license again! Or another intellectual property. TMNT and Robotech are both strong IPs and not something obscure. What do y'all think?
DeusXXX
D-Bee

Unread post by DeusXXX »

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, if they could be sold on Amazon in Kindle format that'd be awesome.
mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I ******* hate the atmosphere of the conversations here on these forums

Unread post by mercedogre »

Rifts Heroclix characters??? a Rifts comic book???
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back
Fell
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Fell »

Rifts LEGOS

nah never mind.

Comics :D
Dan Frederick
mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I ******* hate the atmosphere of the conversations here on these forums

Animated web series, YouTube or something
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I will love to see a Animated series set in Phase world.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Would an on schedule game publisher be a different media :)
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
CaptKaruthors
Explorer

Unread post by CaptKaruthors »

apex-prey wrote:Um you could try at your CCG again

Agreed.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

CaptKaruthors wrote:

Agreed.

Yup, sucked that the company went out of business, so many cards I didn't have :'(
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
CaptKaruthors wrote:

Agreed.

Yup, sucked that the company went out of business, so many cards I didn't have :'(

Yes, I really wished I'd bought more when I had the chance as I really liked what I did have.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Find some starving young artist (easy) fund a webcomic for a year (pretty cheap) if it takes off monetize it. IF it doesn't don't renew the guys contract, let the comic die, and you have more stock art to use in future books. Either way cheap advertising and re-useable art assets. If it takes off you use to to rope fans of the comic into trying the games.
Syndicate
Adventurer

Unread post by Syndicate »

Riftmaker wrote:Find some starving young artist (easy) fund a webcomic for a year (pretty cheap) if it takes off monetize it. IF it doesn't don't renew the guys contract, let the comic die, and you have more stock art to use in future books. Either way cheap advertising and re-useable art assets. If it takes off you use to to rope fans of the comic into trying the games.

I like this idea. Though likely not enough to really generate the revenue Palladium Books would want, it's a start.
"What began as a gathering, ended as an organization."
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Syndicate wrote:
Riftmaker wrote:Find some starving young artist (easy) fund a webcomic for a year (pretty cheap) if it takes off monetize it. IF it doesn't don't renew the guys contract, let the comic die, and you have more stock art to use in future books. Either way cheap advertising and re-useable art assets. If it takes off you use to to rope fans of the comic into trying the games.

I like this idea. Though likely not enough to really generate the revenue Palladium Books would want, it's a start.

Its more about getting a popular comic as advertising for the books.
Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

I doubt my opinion matters much but I for one hope that there is no Palladium 2.0 game system. While there are things I like and don't about the Palladium system it works and I've found it easy to use. All the other games that went on to 2.0 and beyond I stopped playing because they became more complicated. I doubt others would agree but I just couldn't make sense of the game mechanics and stopped playing. Plus if Palladium were to do that what is there to make it different from all the other games using that system? What in it would attract new players? I hope a lot but if every scifi movie was just like Star Wars what would make Star Wars different?

One suggestion I have seen and liked was a Palladium Game Universe Rule book. I think that would work in a revamped Palladium Conversion Book. Have the core rules with some OCC/RCC/PCC vehicles, weapons, equipment examples and some adventure ideas. Then go into conversion notes for the different games. I would not get rid of all Palladium's history in the name of streamlining but I would add more reference books. Rift's GM Guide are Rift's Book of Magic great resources but they are getting dated simply because of age. Lots of new material has come out since their printing. I wouldn't try to add in all the new material into the older books though. They'd be way too big. Instead, I would put the info in a second book and call it an addendum or appendixes or whatever a good name is. And since these are things that would hopefully be added to there would be a third book and then a fourth and so on. That way people have their streamlining and we still have all the wonderful info that made the games what they are.

The only think I'm not sure about the above is making such books game specific. Somethings would need to be like an updated Coalition Military book. But for just having Character types, Magic, Powers, Skills, etc I wonder if putting them in a more universal book wouldn't be better. The Rifter#0 did this with skills a long time ago but that was a long time ago. And many skills that are in one game could be in another but just aren't because of when they were published. Same with Character types and such. If they were compiled in a Conversion/Universe book differences could be noted for the various games. For example the Cowboy could pretty much be used in any game with a few tweaks. That would easily expand each game's universe as well as the megaverse. I would not stop putting new material in new books though. That's were it belongs.

For example, lets say we get bionics/cybernetics for Robotech. And that the differences between the various human era items (SDC to MDC) are explained as well as the Robotech Masters probably bio-systems and the Zentraedi sized versions as well as alien versions like the Invids experiments. It also gives Cyborg trooper stats for those who end up as full conversion borgs. I would expect to find them in a Robotech book or the Rifter first. Not in a Megaverse book. Megaverse books should be for compiling date for easier location and use. Not for releasing new data.

I also looked at the list that was on another thread.

Videogames
Facebook/iPhone/Flash Games (think Angry Birds and Farmville)
MMOGs
TCGs (Trading Card Games)
Board Games
Miniature Games
Novels (fiction)
Comic Books (printed)
Digital Comic Books
Web Comics
E-Books
PDFs of existing and new books
Other

Other than releasing existing and forthcoming books in PDF I'm not sure what I'd vote for. If anything. Maybe novels. I know Palladium is working on lots of different things but there seems to be so much going on that I'm getting worried. Again I doubt my opinion matters but I worry if Palladium isn't stretching themselves too thin. Already there have been lots of books, years in the making, that were either cancelled or we're still waiting for. Many others have been delayed. Would branching more out make this problem worse?

I also wonder how compatible the new companies products will be with what we have now? If they have a new OCC, skill, vehicle, robot, whatever will we have a Palladiuim version of it? Robotech Tactics has several new mecha variants and new valkries that we can't use in Palladium games because there aren't any stats for them. At least not that I can find. Will this get worse as well?

I want Palladium to grow and thrive as the next fan. And I certainly don't want to be a downer but I don't want Palladium to loose what makes it Palladium either.

Anyway, that's my few cents on the subject. They're not worth much. Probably not even legal tender any more but I hope they help a little.

Cheers!

PS
Could any of those books that never were either be published as is - It seems like there might be an market for them if Rifts World Books are being sold unfinished. - or could their info appear in the Rifter? Thanks. I'm sure a lot of people would love to see them. Thanks.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

With all the Short stories and Fanfic around perhaps doing what the other guys are doing and allowing Fanfic to be written for exposure is a good idea.

But snit it was 99 cents!

The setting is Truly a great setting. Why does no books about the Setting exist other than game mechanics books.

A total waste of great material.
Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

say652 wrote:With all the Short stories and Fanfic around perhaps doing what the other guys are doing and allowing Fanfic to be written for exposure is a good idea.

But snit it was 99 cents!

The setting is Truly a great setting. Why does no books about the Setting exist other than game mechanics books.

A total waste of great material.

Wouldn't allowing fans to sell their fiction distract, confuse, and take away from the real thing? Plus there's the Rifter if they want to be paid.

There are a couple novels for Rifts and a lot of stories in the Rifter.

Do you mean all the books that have been worked on but not finished and published? I'd agree.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Not selling since Pally owns all the material, actually printing it.
You can't sell someone else's property.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Creating League dungeons, item cards, an official canon character log, basically create a role player league for all palladium players.

My hero is registered so i can use it in canon games, regardless of the gm.
Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

say652 wrote:Not selling since Pally owns all the material, actually printing it.

I think that would come under publishing and while you might be giving it away for free they might sell it later on. I don't think anyone at Palladium would like it if they found a self published book in a used book store. But I think making maps and lists and things for your players should be okay since its to help your group's campaign.

say652 wrote:Creating League dungeons, item cards, an official canon character log, basically create a role player league for all palladium players.

You mean an online RPG? Might be fun but not all character types are applicable in all games. Not unless the GM and other players are okay with it. For example a Barbarian Swordsman isn't applicable for a Macross game. It could be in New Generation or Sentinals game but you might have to wait a while before your character is introduced. But it still depends on what story/game the GM is trying to have for the players.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Sambot wrote:
say652 wrote:Not selling since Pally owns all the material, actually printing it.

I think that would come under publishing and while you might be giving it away for free they might sell it later on. I don't think anyone at Palladium would like it if they found a self published book in a used book store. But I think making maps and lists and things for your players should be okay since its to help your group's campaign.

say652 wrote:Creating League dungeons, item cards, an official canon character log, basically create a role player league for all palladium players.

You mean an online RPG? Might be fun but not all character types are applicable in all games. Not unless the GM and other players are okay with it. For example a Barbarian Swordsman isn't applicable for a Macross game. It could be in New Generation or Sentinals game but you might have to wait a while before your character is introduced. But it still depends on what story/game the GM is trying to have for the players.

Strongly disagree, The game was marketed as all genres crossing paths.

One of the biggest obstacles is Fantasy vs Heroes Rifts vs Dead Reign.

Let's all argue and say no, out limit the players to these particular books.

I think that's weak and stupid, in a game about dimension hopping and meeting people from other places.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Unless you have a very good group running it it will never fly.

Better to do a palldium version of rpga or pathfinder society for each individual game first then figure out how to crossover. Oh wait I was already heading up just such a project for Palladium when they decided to blow that bridge up. Nevermind.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Riftmaker
Adventurer

I still think my web comic idea would work, and novels would be cheap in the e-book market.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Webcomic could work
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Anything for exposure to mainstream would work. I've never seen a company that doesn't advertise.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Yes you have. This one. Lol

\m/
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

True. I went to my local Comis store and asked about Palladium Products.
Yea, ended about that well.
Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

say652 wrote:
Strongly disagree, The game was marketed as all genres crossing paths.

One of the biggest obstacles is Fantasy vs Heroes Rifts vs Dead Reign.

Let's all argue and say no, out limit the players to these particular books.

I think that's weak and stupid, in a game about dimension hopping and meeting people from other places.

While there can be dimension hoping that doesn't mean that there must be. If the game being played is purely a Robotech game the GM is within their rights not to allow Dwarves and Elves because they don't exist on Robotech Earth. However, they may allow Palladium style sailing ships and pirates because they did. It all depends on the game being played.

Having a purely canon game isn't weak or stupid. It's playing the game. The key thing to remember is that all the dimension hoping is optional. Even in Rifts with Dimension spanning Rifts, the GM doesn't have to have any dimension jumping if they don't want to. Then again they could have a lot. Maybe the SDF-1 is in Atlantis. Maybe it isn't. Maybe the UN Spacy and UEEF Marines are at war. Maybe the Sentinals include Elves, Dwarves and Kittani? Maybe the Coalition States are going to unveil their new stylized VF-1? It all depends on the game/story they're trying to conduct. We can stick with "canon" universes or we can let out imaginations run. Both are perfectly valid choices.
Andy Blizzard
D-Bee

Unread post by Andy Blizzard »

We have started to make a multiplatform RPG, which should be Promise of Power Reborn. :) Hopefully there will be some progress. :)
Andy Blizzard
D-Bee

Well, we have started a remake of Promise of Power. Small team, but we got brain and hands. )
And i don't know how to get licensed. Any advices on this matter?
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Andy Blizzard wrote:Well, we have started a remake of Promise of Power. Small team, but we got brain and hands. )

Given that Promise of Power was a joint project with Nokia, I would highly recommend you contact the Palladium Books office prior to investing your time and energy into a remake. The phone number is 734-721-2900.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Andy Blizzard
D-Bee

Mack wrote:
Andy Blizzard wrote:Well, we have started a remake of Promise of Power. Small team, but we got brain and hands. )

Given that Promise of Power was a joint project with Nokia, I would highly recommend you contact the Palladium Books office prior to investing your time and energy into a remake. The phone number is 734-721-2900.

Thanks! Calling directly is kind of an issue, so i have tried to reach office by some other ways (support, PM). But if it might help, i'll give it a shot. :)
Andy Blizzard
D-Bee

PROMISE OF POWER Trademark Information
PALLADIUM BOOKS, INC.
6/27/2014
CONTINUED USE NOT FILED WITHIN GRACE PERIOD, UN-REVIVABLE

I believe this means that Promise of Power trademark itself is free right now, so it's a great news!

Also, as expected:
RIFTS Trademark Information
PALLADIUM BOOKS, INC.
11/2/2010
REGISTERED AND RENEWED

:)
Andy Blizzard
D-Bee

Palladium books is not looking to expand.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=151871&p=2937524#p2937524
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Advertising!! Get them 20 something year old Dbags nobody likes talking about your products!!

Warning: For Trolling
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Since Palladium held into the robotech/macros licenses I would be wanting sourcebooks bases in all the successive marries anime series.

Also is there even anVoltron RPG?
mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler

can the Robotech movies be re-released, digitally mastered and sound enhanced like lucas did for star wars? and then maybe the new DVD's come with a booklet with the armor stats to give people an idea how the game is played?
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

I'd love to see more Rifts novels. In something more like the style of the Dresden Files. Not focused on Coalition troops. Maybe on an adventurer party with a juicer, crazy, power armor pilot, ley line walker, burster or mind melter, etc. Or even something Phase World. I loved reading Hammer of the Forge.

I'd love a single or multiplayer game in the style of Fallout 2 or Baldur's Gate isometric video games. Love those. Good story with lots of side plot options. I'd love an MMO like WoW too but as others have said balancing that would be a nightmare and if you can't have balanced PVP in an MMO you're probably losing half your potential audience right there. I dabbled in PVP in WoW, but I really loved the intricate story, world, etc. I think with the right development team behind it, this could probably be done for Rifts but you'd end up with the more powerful character options like power armor pilots, juicers, crazies, mutants, casters and psychics (with a more streamlined combat focused repertoire), etc and less of the unaugmented man at arms classes.
Last edited by LostOne on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tick »

jaymz wrote:Webcomic could work

I've thought of this but fear the legal attack. So many TRADEMARKS on the products that you could never make a $. Let alone lose everything you work on as it may violate the rights of the palladium corp. Lots of talent out there. as with myself, lots of willing people too, but with no willing partnership, this will never happen nor would it last to long.

It can't be a one way thing, there has to be a sensible share on IP as the work is huge. Owning a name alone is silly reason to rob and steal the sweat and blood of creators building a new extended brand. People need to eat and pay day to day bills. I love the concept, but not the threat of losing everything with a cease and desist order.
Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tick »

Raze_7 wrote:
Boethermsbrukan wrote:I thought I'd ask: would a Palladium Fantasy novel be of any interest to anyone here? I know Rifts had its short series of novels a number of years ago, but I don't know if a PFRPG novel would have any place. I got my start with Palladium Fantasy (had Book IV: Adventures In The Northern Wilderness and Monsters & Animals Revised a good year prior to getting my copy of the 1st Ed. revised mainbook, and I'm rather fond of the direction the adventures in Book IV were pointing, plot-wise) before I had any other solid experience with gaming, and I've been missing the world-spanning adventures I've become familiar with.

-Boe.

I'd love to see a Palladium Fantasy novel, or at least a Rifts novel featuring Palladium characters. From what I read of Dragons and Gods, the two (Rifts and Palladium, not Dragons and Gods) are quite similar, at least in concept.
However, just a note: do NOT make a novel like the (dare I mention it) massive Smash Brothers fanfiction. In fact, (and I have little doubt that you will do this; I threw in the previous statement as a warning) actually having a plot line would be far superior to the previous example.

I like this idea, though an omnibus or anthology might be better as then Palladium could produce a novel of shorts, then they could work with writers for a longer manuscript if they like the style of the stories offered.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I love to see a Phase world animated series.
Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tick »

Here is something I tired with other Players from the forum... *** http://strangecorpseposse.blogspot.ca *** A podcast that seems to be evolving and fun for the players as they wrap their minds around a world beyond the books.
KaliBF
Newb

Unread post by KaliBF »

gaby wrote:I love to see a Phase world animated series.

Oh dude.
I also hope that there will be an anime version of this magnificent Phase word.
For a long time I wanted to, I think at the present time it's not just a dream. I think we'll make it soon.
Let's hope :-)
My spec:
Apple Mac mini
2.8GHz Intel
Core i5 Dual Core,
8GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive
"My current project"BETA.
Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tick »

Return to “Rifts®”