werewolf as an R.C.C.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

bradshaw
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Gin and Tonic

Re: werewolf as an R.C.C.

Unread post by bradshaw »

rastick wrote:I have been trying to find more information on werewolves and cant seem to find anything except in the conversion books which is minimal at best.Could anyone help me with this.I have a group that wants to do a werewolf vs. vampires and there is almost no information on the leveling of werewolves.The only info seems to be to use them as NPC's. :?

yeah, there really isn't much but Maybe if you look in NGR, TMNT or after the bomb you can construct something.
Dames, Droids, Drinking and Damnnation
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. The first thing we need to understand is that Palladium has a few different versions of werewolves. This is important, because a few of them are handled differently. The werewolves we see in the Conversion Books (and also a werejaguar NPC included in Vampire Kingdoms) are treated as inhuman monsters. This concept can be interesting, but it also goes with the mentality that they're just instinct driven monsters (even if not evil) that don't really advance. Vampires don't really level much either for that matter.

While I'm not the biggest fan of PF werebeasts, I will say the thing I do like about them is they're treated more like individuals and can do things like take an O.C.C. Within Rifts all a certain type are all the same way ... which while okay for villains makes them not as interesting as characters (which is a personal preference thing, and I understand others like the evil monster thing).

For simplicity, I have included a list of the various werewolf (werebeast in general) write-ups I know of in Palladium. Palladium Fantasy, the Nightbane options (both of them), Heroes Unlimited (super power), and Zenith Moon Warpers (not actually werewolves) are the only ones I believe that have the potential to level. The Beyond the Supernatural and Rifts versions in general are instinct driven animals, and they won't level anymore than the horse your character uses as a mount.

If you want a leveling system, you'll probably have to make it up yourself. In this case, I'd suggest handling it the same way Palladium handles vampires leveling really, because in Palladium they're both just instinct driven predators/monsters. Both would rely on their natural abilities and instincts, with little use of technology and human/mortal means (because they feel those are inferior to their natural abilities and instincts).

Anyways, I think that about covers things. Hopefully some of that helped. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

1a) Beyond the Supernatural (original/first edition): They have three forms. Natural race.
1b) Rifts Conversion Book One (original/first edition): Converted from Beyond the Supernatural (not PF). They have three forms, and normal P.S. (though their claws can do M.D.). Natural race.
1c) Rifts Dark Conversions: Converted from Beyond the Supernatural. Updated/revised version of the stats in Rifts Conversion Book One (instead of putting them in Revised, where they are missing, they were put in Dark Conversions). They have three forms, and now have Supernatural P.S. Natural race.

2) Palladium Fantasy: Only two forms, can only transform at night. One is a human form and the other is a giant wolf form. This is definitely true of Second Edition (First Edition may have been human/man beast form, it's not 100% clear, it could be human/wolf form too). Normal strength. Natural race.

3a) Nightbane RPG: Nightbane ARE the werewolves (and other types of beasts). There is a Lycanthrope table and everything. Only two forms, and Supernatural Strength. Natural race.
3b) Rifter 4 & 5: Optional Rifter material adding a separate race of werewolves (and other types of beasts) into Nightbane. They have three forms, normal strength, and are based more or less off of the BtS version above, but have some differences and they have a few specialized O.C.C. (which is a plus). Normal strength. Natural race (I believe, I never did read the article).

4) Loup Garou: Rifts Canada (Book 20). Three forms again, can transform at any time. Supernatural Strength. Natural race.

5) Heroes Unlimited: There is a Super Power Lycanthrope. It's not quite the same as it's only a super power, but still to be considered. Only two forms (human and man-beast) and possesses Supernatural Strength. Super Powered individual.

6) Lycanthrope Curse: This is not a race, but is a curse. Turns the victim into a blood-thirsty wolf on a full moon (victim has no memory of transforming). This is detailed in PF, not sure if it's included in any other systems. Normal strength. Curse/affliction.

7) Zenith Moon Warpers: Not quite werewolves, but similar in appearance. They have the natural look of an attractive man-beast, but can take human form. Supernatural Strength on Rifts Earth (but not weaker magical environments). Natural race.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Crucible
Champion

Unread post by Crucible »

Prysus wrote:
Greetings and Salutations. The first thing we need to understand is that Palladium has a few different versions of werewolves. This is important, because a few of them are handled differently. The werewolves we see in the Conversion Books (and also a werejaguar NPC included in Vampire Kingdoms) are treated as inhuman monsters. This concept can be interesting, but it also goes with the mentality that they're just instinct driven monsters (even if not evil) that don't really advance. Vampires don't really level much either for that matter.

While I'm not the biggest fan of PF werebeasts, I will say the thing I do like about them is they're treated more like individuals and can do things like take an O.C.C. Within Rifts all a certain type are all the same way ... which while okay for villains makes them not as interesting as characters (which is a personal preference thing, and I understand others like the evil monster thing).

For simplicity, I have included a list of the various werewolf (werebeast in general) write-ups I know of in Palladium. Palladium Fantasy, the Nightbane options (both of them), Heroes Unlimited (super power), and Zenith Moon Warpers (not actually werewolves) are the only ones I believe that have the potential to level. The Beyond the Supernatural and Rifts versions in general are instinct driven animals, and they won't level anymore than the horse your character uses as a mount.

If you want a leveling system, you'll probably have to make it up yourself. In this case, I'd suggest handling it the same way Palladium handles vampires leveling really, because in Palladium they're both just instinct driven predators/monsters. Both would rely on their natural abilities and instincts, with little use of technology and human/mortal means (because they feel those are inferior to their natural abilities and instincts).

Anyways, I think that about covers things. Hopefully some of that helped. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

1a) Beyond the Supernatural (original/first edition): They have three forms. Natural race.
1b) Rifts Conversion Book One (original/first edition): Converted from Beyond the Supernatural (not PF). They have three forms, and normal P.S. (though their claws can do M.D.). Natural race.
1c) Rifts Dark Conversions: Converted from Beyond the Supernatural. Updated/revised version of the stats in Rifts Conversion Book One (instead of putting them in Revised, where they are missing, they were put in Dark Conversions). They have three forms, and now have Supernatural P.S. Natural race.

2) Palladium Fantasy: Only two forms, can only transform at night. One is a human form and the other is a giant wolf form. This is definitely true of Second Edition (First Edition may have been human/man beast form, it's not 100% clear, it could be human/wolf form too). Normal strength. Natural race.

3a) Nightbane RPG: Nightbane ARE the werewolves (and other types of beasts). There is a Lycanthrope table and everything. Only two forms, and Supernatural Strength. Natural race.
3b) Rifter 4 & 5: Optional Rifter material adding a separate race of werewolves (and other types of beasts) into Nightbane. They have three forms, normal strength, and are based more or less off of the BtS version above, but have some differences and they have a few specialized O.C.C. (which is a plus). Normal strength. Natural race (I believe, I never did read the article).

4) Loup Garou: Rifts Canada (Book 20). Three forms again, can transform at any time. Supernatural Strength. Natural race.

5) Heroes Unlimited: There is a Super Power Lycanthrope. It's not quite the same as it's only a super power, but still to be considered. Only two forms (human and man-beast) and possesses Supernatural Strength. Super Powered individual.

6) Lycanthrope Curse: This is not a race, but is a curse. Turns the victim into a blood-thirsty wolf on a full moon (victim has no memory of transforming). This is detailed in PF, not sure if it's included in any other systems. Normal strength. Curse/affliction.

7) Zenith Moon Warpers: Not quite werewolves, but similar in appearance. They have the natural look of an attractive man-beast, but can take human form. Supernatural Strength on Rifts Earth (but not weaker magical environments). Natural race.

Excellent list!
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

Playing Rifts with your five older children, PRICELESS.

See My New Campaign in story form
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126287
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i'd suggest using the nightbane 'tribes of the moon" werewolves from rifter 4 and 5 if you want to use them as an RCC. they're not quite as powerful as the BTS/conversion book variant, but you get access to HTH skills and various RCC skills.

i also have it under good authority that at least one book in the current pipeline will have some info on werewolves in RIFTS, and know for a fact that another being worked on will have them as a major component.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I am surprised no one has yet given Werecreatures the same kind of treatment that Vampires got in Rifter 49.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Crucible
Champion

Unread post by Crucible »

The one from the Conversion Book (one) is what was intended as the Werewolf I think.
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

Playing Rifts with your five older children, PRICELESS.

See My New Campaign in story form
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126287
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

The Werewolf RCC is found in Rifts Dark Conversion/Conversion Book One *original*. Under Werebeasts.

I have used them several times. They are good PC RCCs.

You could use the Tribes of the Moon which are the Same as in oCB1.

But if you wish to beef them up use the Nightbane Morphus forms.
Add in from Rifter 25 the Morphus Features Dual Morphus. That way your NB can have Werewolf Form and a Wolf form to pick from at any time.
I did this with the last one i made, and it worked great.
Just have the character not know he is a Nightbane, and believes he is a real Werewolf.
That is what I did. It lead to a few great Role-playing moments.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

I agree the Werewolves should have a source or World book of their own like the vamps!!
A very misunderstood and likely underestmated Player Character!
G
johnkretzer
Adventurer
Comment: Power gaming in Rifts is NOT hard or challenging. If you want to impress people with you power gaming skills try Toon

Unread post by johnkretzer »

Kovoston wrote:I agree the Werewolves should have a source or World book of their own like the vamps!!
G

+100

Werewolves are awesome....and can work as the good guys if you get rid of the whole Medival European BS about wolves being evil and crap...
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

If you want a werebeasts vs vampire game you should set it in PF. The city of Kaash in the Eastern Territory book has some already established issues and npc leaders on both sides.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

rastick wrote:I have been trying to find more information on werewolves and cant seem to find anything except in the conversion books which is minimal at best.Could anyone help me with this.I have a group that wants to do a werewolf vs. vampires and there is almost no information on the leveling of werewolves.The only info seems to be to use them as NPC's. :?

Leveling, they use the exp table of the OCC that they are.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The Dark Elf wrote:If you want a were-beasts vs vampire game you should set it in PF. The city of Kaash in the Eastern Territory book has some already established issues and npc leaders on both sides.

I concur that the best setting for WEre-person vs Vamp. campaign would be in PF.
However, if you are looking for an modern urban setting for the game BTS is another good setting for the campaign.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

johnkretzer wrote:
Kovoston wrote:I agree the Werewolves should have a source or World book of their own like the vamps!!
G

+100

Werewolves are awesome....and can work as the good guys if you get rid of the whole Medival European BS about wolves being evil and crap...

I agree, there are older tales of wolves raising young humans as well.
Kiltduderackham
D-Bee
Comment: "Death is only the beginning."

Unread post by Kiltduderackham »

johnkretzer wrote:
G

+100

Not all medieval werewolves are portrayed as being evil. It was said that werewolves would descend into hell to confront the minions of Satan every full moon to keep his influence at bay.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
-Arthur C. Clarke
Fyrpower
Explorer

Unread post by Fyrpower »

Rifts Vampire Sourcebook (or Vampire Kingdoms revised) has werebeasts in, can't remember if werewolves are in it, but I'm sure they are and have been updated from the previous versions.
"Arrogance is a poor man's confidence"

"Only when I lose myself with someone else, that I find I myself"

"You eat to live, not live to eat!"
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

CROATAN wrote:The latest version of the werewolves and the other werebeasts are on the manual "vampire sourcebook"

Truth. Not that different than the Dark Conversions version though. They didnt even get a very significant update to their "RUE version". The number of attacks remained static since the RMB days unlike other monsters have been getting +2 over the years (compared to their original printings). They do advance their ISP and PPE now and their HP are more streamlined and have an extra skill or two, but otherwise, if you do not have access to Vampire Sourcebook, using the Dark Conversions version really isnt all that much of a step back.

The biggest problem with playing Werewolves as printed is they are lacking in skills and should really be played more like monsters. If you play it as a PC, this particular character should be extremely rare if it has the right thought processes to work well in a team of non-werewolves (which he would normally want to EAT). As written, this character would not really advance with new skills, more magic, more psionics, more attacks and so on as every other character in the group would. He would also be limited to tracking down a target and some hand to hand combat with no real chance of learning to do anything else. Unless the GM wants to throw him a bone and give him a few additional secondary skills.

You are prolly going to do better with a character class designed to be played by a player, like one of those listed by Prysus that have werewolf-like abilities. But the idea of a werewolf as written would be fun to play too. Now im thinking about playing as the company mascot, semi-intelligent, loyal, but vicious to outsiders like an attack dog. Perhaps he can play the drums like Animal from the muppets.

But the GM would not have to specifically put threats in the game just to hurt the character. Now, suddenly, most mercs are running around with SDC pistols with silver bullets, where as prior to the character being introduced, this would have been rare or non-existent.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Prysus wrote:

You not only saved me a lot of typing and some research, you were more thorough than I would have been.
Good job. :ok:
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Personally I do not think that either vampires or werewolf's where worth a world book. The right up in Conversion book is a good base then flesh them out to your taste.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Well vampires got a world book because they have pretty much taken over all of Mexico which is... well part of the world. ;)

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Blue_Lion
Knight

was a typo what I intended to say was source book not world book.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
DevastationBob
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by DevastationBob »

My very first Rifts character was a Werewolf R.C.C. from the original conversions book. Played it as a predator that used the human form for camouflage and i wasn't even the most evil character in the party. We fought some Ali---uh, xenoforms and by the end of the night we ran afoul of some faery folk. Weird stuff.
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
Blue_Lion
Knight

The real issue with vampire and werewolf style carters is that you have to basically change encounters to account for their special weakness, or fights present no risk to them. A vampire would not think of a glitter boy as threat(and a standard glitter boy is not a threat to them). A CS patrol without silver could be slaughtered by 1 werewolf even if they out number him 50 to 1.

SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Blue_Lion wrote:The real issue with vampire and werewolf style carters is that you have to basically change encounters to account for their special weakness, or fights present no risk to them. A vampire would not think of a glitter boy as threat(and a standard glitter boy is not a threat to them). A CS patrol without silver could be slaughtered by 1 werewolf even if they out number him 50 to 1.

Yes, the mechanic of their invulnerabilities makes both creatures something of glass tanks - invencible a moment, ridiculously fragile the next.

As an aside, on oCB1 about werewolves, there's mention of "One massive pack, said to roam the mountains of Romania, is rumored to have even established their own kingdom where they are worshipped as gods". Romania is not Mexico and probably not all of Romania, but i thought this little forgotten blurb could be of interest for games set in Europe.
Gangrel44
D-Bee

Unread post by Gangrel44 »

Not all medieval werewolves are portrayed as being evil. It was said that werewolves would descend into hell to confront the minions of Satan every full moon to keep his influence at bay.[/quote]

These type of werewolves were called the Benedanti
SolCannibal
Champion

Gangrel44 wrote:Not all medieval werewolves are portrayed as being evil. It was said that werewolves would descend into hell to confront the minions of Satan every full moon to keep his influence at bay.

These type of werewolves were called the Benedanti

Actually, not quite - while the folklore about demon/witch-hunting werewolves has a number of commonalities to the point of being referenced as similar and possibly related traditions in the works of Ginzburg and other historians, the Benandanti (ben andanti, literally "Good Walkers" in italian) per se are not described as werecreatures.

The particular description you gave relates to this i think.
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

Fyrpower wrote:Rifts Vampire Sourcebook (or Vampire Kingdoms revised) has werebeasts in, can't remember if werewolves are in it, but I'm sure they are and have been updated from the previous versions.

Indeed the new Vampires revised provides the array of werebeast, but if its a hardcore nemesis between vamps and werebeast, then I cordially suggest the Bone Were Jaguars. They are a good rival with leveling and some unique traits that help bring out the predator playability in a werebeast.
SolCannibal
Champion

Premier wrote:
Fyrpower wrote:Rifts Vampire Sourcebook (or Vampire Kingdoms revised) has werebeasts in, can't remember if werewolves are in it, but I'm sure they are and have been updated from the previous versions.

Indeed the new Vampires revised provides the array of werebeast, but if its a hardcore nemesis between vamps and werebeast, then I cordially suggest the Bone Were Jaguars. They are a good rival with leveling and some unique traits that help bring out the predator playability in a werebeast.

Gonna check it out too when i can.

Return to “Rifts®”