Godlings and Powers 9 and 10

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Re: Godlings and Powers 9 and 10

Unread post by Anthar »

Answered here.
http://forums.palladium-megaverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=111618&hilit=godling
I got my answer a while back concerning the choice of the magic selection from the writer himself, but the post was deleted by one of our famous "board maintenance" sessions.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Kerikath wrote:Thanks, but your answer conflicts with some data I've found and doesn't completely answer my questions.

88. I have a couple questions as to the Demigod. Elsewhere, on this FAQ, it says that when Power #10 is taken, a Demigod or Godling gets the O.C.C. skills of which ever magic category is taken. Do they get the related skills as well? Also, with Power #10, are Demigods limited to just Line Walker, Shifter, Warlock, Mystic and Necromancer, or are all viable Magic classes available?
Answer: They do not get the related skills. All viable classes can be selected.

Your answer in the thread you provide states that powers 9 and 10 don't grant O.C.C. skills. The questioner is acting as though they do, and has been assured of this. Of course, the validity of what I just quoted is thrown into question because it references this:

24. When a demi-god or a godling have power #10 (powers of a practitioner of magic) do the special abilities of the practitioner become natural abilities that do not use PPE? Do the demi-god or a godling get the OCC skills as well?
Answer: The Special abilities of that particular O.C.C. will be given, and if they have a PPE Cost, then it will have a PPE Cost for the Godling. Powers that do not have a PPE cost will not have a PPE Cost for the character.

There is no answer to question 24 in regards to whether the O.C.C. grants the O.C.C. skills, and yet question 88 acts as though the question had been answered in the affirmative.

Furthermore, I still don't know what the limitations on P.C.C.s are. Could I pick a P.C.C. other than Burster as long as it's elementally/primevally themed? The fact that Mind Melter isn't listed as an option suggests that I couldn't pick any P.C.C. Also, various question-answer pairs elsewhere in the FaQ section indicate that it's not legal to choose Techno-Wizard as part of power 10. Why?

Short answer: the FAQ is not an offical source of answers, it's based solely on the general consues on the thread it was asked on at the time it was asked. Over time, differnt people weigh in and different answers are gotten as a result.

There IS no offical answer.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Anthar
Hero

Unread post by Anthar »

Plus the FAQ has been hacked and slashed over the years. There used to be answers by a few of the writers in it, but all of those reponses are gone now. I don't know who posts the answers now but some of them are really contradictory and sometimes even contradict rules written in the books themselves.

I wish I could get access to the post where I got my answer so at least you could see the writter's say on how it worked.
Last edited by Anthar on Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
Anthar
Hero

Unread post by Anthar »

Kerikath wrote:So, is there a chance at all of getting an official ruling by an author (C.J. Carella or Kevin Siembieda) or a moderator?

Very rarely does Kevin descend from on high to answer these types of questions and C.J. Carella has moved on to bigger and better things though he answered my question on this in a post that was lost to the void.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Magic choice: any mage type (witches are not mages, even if they use magic)

Psi choice: there are many "master psi" choices that can be taken other then the power standard or burster. It was just that when the book was written that the Mind Melter and the Burster were the only two published in the rifts books.
So, I would let them pick any of the master Psi class powers. However, like with the magic powers, the ISP would be the highest rolled of the ones chosen.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Kerikath wrote:So, is there a chance at all of getting an official ruling by an author (C.J. Carella or Kevin Siembieda) or a moderator?

Moderators answer questions, but their answers are no more offical than you or I. Moderators don't actually work for/represent palladium on these forums. They're just IT and troll police.

some of the newer authors will answer questions about their specific book(s), like Cambell and Carl Gebla, however they can't speak for any other books because, well...they didn't write them.

In short, the odds of getting an offical answer from anyone on the forums is slim and none. Palladium maintains no presence on their forums, it's just a place they set up for fans to chat.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Chill Zone wrote:I have a Demi-god character that I treated demi-god aas his race and he has the O.C.C of tundra ranger scout, recieving his skills from the O.C.C.

that's actually a pretty cool combo :)

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Chill Zone wrote:I have a Demigod character that I treated demigod as his race and he has the O.C.C of tundra ranger scout, receiving his skills from the O.C.C.

that's actually a pretty cool combo :)

The DemiGod is written as a race, needing for the player to pick a class to be.

If the DG lived with their deity parent, then with a GM to allow it they could take the Godling's skill set.

Skills Set: the skills a class get. (not the powers)

But I agree with NS, the OCC you picked makes a good combination with a Demigod that grew up in the bush or while in hiding.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Anthar
Hero

Unread post by Anthar »

The coolness of the possible combinations that can be used with the Demigod RCC is amazing. I mean you get one power from the godling list, one power that represents the Deific parent and you get to choose just about any class.
Imagine this if you will a Demigod that had been born of a union with Cronos, Chief of the Titans and say the inherit his ability to Absorb Life Energy, then as the godling power magic is taken as the Harvester OCC which allows for more absorbtion of souls and finally, the Shifter OCC is taken. You get a NPC villian that can become powerful enough to challenge anyone to a head to head battle, anywhere in the megaverse and that's just the beginning. :twisted:
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

I'll take the standard Godling "double double" warlock + super psionics setup.

They can take the magic power twice and since warlocks can have two element spell lines (usually at the cost of over all spell knowledge but this is offset by the partial devine nature that specifically grants all spell knowledge up to their level) then you can have Earth Air Fire & Water with two magic selections and at 8th level you know ALL ELEMENTAL MAGIC.

With the above and the 5 super psi powers of Psi body field, TKFF and psi-sword, super TK and telemechanics + the whole Sensitive catagory!

Make them a godling with the silhouette as the mother's race (I'm of the opinion that godlings arise from the union of one god parent and one "more than mortal" parent, a demigod is the union of one god and one normal mortal) and it would be possible to have some limited shadow abilities too.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
TechnicDragon
D-Bee

Unread post by TechnicDragon »

I have yet to find a solid answer for this anywhere and while this thread has answered most of my questions, one remains.

When selecting power #9 for a Demigod or Godling and the player chooses to take all powers from two lesser categories or all powers from one lesser category and five super psionics --- what is their base ISP? A demigod doesn't list anything at all! A Godling lists ISP for Major and Minor psionics (and I don't see any character with those numbers of powers being a minor psionic). Any suggestions?
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

For godling taking magic twice, Id say 1 occ skill set both powers list is beyond generous.
Id take occ temporal wizard and powers only from mystic knight.
Get access to high level spells, lots of powers and lots of ppe as well as some combat benifits, also temporal mages have a good skill set.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

TechnicDragon wrote:I have yet to find a solid answer for this anywhere and while this thread has answered most of my questions, one remains.

When selecting power #9 for a Demigod or Godling and the player chooses to take all powers from two lesser categories or all powers from one lesser category and five super psionics --- what is their base ISP? A demigod doesn't list anything at all! A Godling lists ISP for Major and Minor psionics (and I don't see any character with those numbers of powers being a minor psionic). Any suggestions?

i'd go with as much as a burster. that being the third option in the category, apparently.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Either that or default to "generic Super Psi" = "Mind Melter". Both would work fine, IMO.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Zamion138 wrote:For godling taking magic twice, Id say 1 occ skill set both powers list is beyond generous.
Id take occ temporal wizard and powers only from mystic knight.
Get access to high level spells, lots of powers and lots of ppe as well as some combat benifits, also temporal mages have a good skill set.

You don't get any skills.
The power specifically states that you get the abilities.
Skills are not an ability.
This is further reinforced by the fact that while magic clearly references power #9 skills do not.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

TechnicDragon wrote:I have yet to find a solid answer for this anywhere and while this thread has answered most of my questions, one remains.

Go with the godling numbers.
Specifically as I see it:
If you pick the abilities of a Burster (or other class if the GM so allows) you are a Master and get ISP=(4d6x10)+ME+(10 per level)
If you pick either of the other 2 options that is a Major Psychic and you get ISP=(1d6x10)+ME+(1d6 per level)
The Minor Psychic issue would come up if you picked something like Techno-Wizard that makes you a minor psychic as part of the magic process.

This is, of course, as I see the rules being written.
Others may interpret them in other ways.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Rifts®”