Kill the Dragon!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Re: Kill the Dragon!

Unread post by runebeo »

runebeo wrote:Our group have killed a few adult dragons. First off we try to ambush it in its den or in a wide open field but make sure we have a shifter or two to try to counter its teleport ability. We use the Slammer missiles from Triax to stun them and uranium rounds to stop it's bio-regeneration. Another key spell to use on it is Luck Curse spell to take away all its combat bonuses & saving throws bonuses, cast it a few times till it sticks and it opens the floodgates to so many spells, psionics, magic tattoos and other abilities. With Luck Curse in effect Blinding flash spell is just crippling, Mute spell stops it from casting spells and one dirty trick with Luck curse on is to get a master psychic to Mentally Possess the dragon for an easy kill.

Since the Dimensional Outbreak has come out we have been involved in the Blood Dome dragon battles and a few more options for killing dragons have come up. First off the new demon magic spell Curse: Hell Binding it take away a creature's ability to dimensional teleport and if he uses dimensional portals he has a chance of being pulled to Hades. This curse can last for decades, but if a shifter has a greater demon cast it it can last double. This spell may not kill the dragon but will help to tie him up in the future and if he does get away slow down his world/dimension hoping.

Gruesome Tarbin is a giant spider in WB 27 ADS. Its webs are equal to 4th level magic net spell, venom that can cause catatonic state and magic users & magic-wielding victims lose all magical abilities and spell casting for. Great for killing or capturing dragons, gods, alien intelligences since no teleporting or turn to mist if venom takes effect. Shifter can use Tame Beast spell to control predatory monsters and have double the normal numbers as well. Tattoo-Men can also use theses as monster tattoos. The venom can be bought in the Dinosaur Swamp as well.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Lenwen wrote:Mack please show me in the Tattoo's Write up ..

where it CLEARLY STATES IT CREATES .. a weapon ?

Lemme know how that hunt turns out for ya .. :lol: :roll: :P

:roll: :lol: :P

Wow Lenwen, not only did you fail to understand the basic rules of tattoo magic, you also managed to be condescending and rude to a mod at the same time! Well done. :ok:
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
runebeo
Champion

Unread post by runebeo »

I rarely agree with Lenwen's power gaming ways but the boards have been too quiet without him.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

runebeo wrote:I rarely agree with Lenwen's power gaming ways but the boards have been too quiet without him.

What did the mods kick him... or is he just busy?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
runebeo wrote:I rarely agree with Lenwen's power gaming ways but the boards have been too quiet without him.

What did the mods kick him... or is he just busy?

Wasn't kicked.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
runebeo
Champion

Unread post by runebeo »

If your fighting a dragon or anything that not totally immune to fire, in Rifter 50 they officially supercharger-ed the Dracos napalm blast with a new bio-enhancement Napalm Enhancement. Thats max damage of 72 x 13 = 936! sure mostly likely be reduce damage & duration by half is still 234 per napalm blast, the Dracos has a payload of 30 blasts. Fight a dragon with a bio-engineered dragon!

Enhanced Bio-napalm throwers: (3) Fires napalm blasts (+4 to Strike) that do 6D12 M.D., plus 6D12 M.D. per round for 2D6 melee rounds, If humanoid they receive a -6 on all combat bonuses & loses half of their attacks per melee, If clad in M.D. armor only -3 on combat bonuses, robots are only -1 on combat bonuses. 30 shots payload that renews in only 1D6 hours, with a range of 1,000 feet.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Zer0 Kay wrote:-Iron Cards (1d6MDC) or Card Daggers (2d6MDC)

Noted that you made some mistakes.. Iron Cards does 1d4 SD when thrown. This is not magical damage so does not have a conversion to MD. Card Daggers, while they are charged with magic that does damage, thus their damage is converted to MD & that they only do 1d6 per card.

Then there is the 52 in your face is not throwing the cards requiered to do damage with both Iron Cards and Dagger Cards. There is also the limit In The Spell Name, that it just effects 52 cards.

I was referencing Rifter 9.5.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Red 7. Partial bionic Burster vs Ice dragon hatchling.
Borg lost an arm to the beast, gets pinned. Bionic FireBreath plus super fuel flame did like 400md. Woot woot. Of course the entire reward went to repairs. So fun but costly.lol

Dogpack lead by psi stalker. Hide n go seek coalition style.

Heavy borgs.

Samas.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

csbioborg wrote:its all about getting a group of basklisk together
with some armor to protect them while they gaze
three per round 14 to save
get 10 basklisks
even the most ancient dragon god will fail their save with in a couple rounds

Are dragons immune to transformation spells? If so, isn't certification a transformation spell?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
BuzzardB
Explorer

Unread post by BuzzardB »

Are dragon hatchlings really that dangerous?

I think the first game I ever played way back when included a dragon hatchling and I don't remember him being all that spectacular. Most certainly outshined by the partys superhero character.

Would a standard Glitterboy or anything with a missile salvo not just obliterate a hatchling?
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Four year old thread, guys.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Mack wrote:Four year old thread, guys.

Hey I didn't do the Necromancy... This time :)
What? Is a four year old thread no longer pertinent esp to new people? If it is pertinent and they have questions on it should they just keep quiet and respect the dead? Ressirection is better than cloning.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Iron Manticore wrote:"Nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

There it is.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

BuzzardB wrote:Are dragon hatchlings really that dangerous?

I think the first game I ever played way back when included a dragon hatchling and I don't remember him being all that spectacular. Most certainly outshined by the partys superhero character.

Would a standard Glitterboy or anything with a missile salvo not just obliterate a hatchling?

a level 1 dragon hatchling isn't that scary. but they start off with the ability to learn spells, most have psionics, they will naturally develop further magical abilities as they level up, they tend to have quite a bit of MDC, which they regenerate naturally over a relatively short period of time, flight, the ability to shapechange, supernatural strength, and a breath attack.

if the superhero was outshining the dragon hatchling by that much, it is likely that the dragon hatchling either tended to roll quite badly, or that the superhero had a very strong combination of abilities, and/or that the hatchling was arbitrarily restricted from ever being able to learn spells beyond leveling up.

that said, not all dragon hatchlings are equal... for one thing, most types have something like d4x100 HMDCP, and there's a pretty big difference between 100 MDC and 400 MDC. secondly, not all dragons have the same level of ability in magic or psionics. and not all dragons have equally good breath weapons. some have awesome breath weapons that paralyze people, others have breath weapons that do 2d6 damage with a short range...
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

BuzzardB wrote:Are dragon hatchlings really that dangerous?

The making thing about dragons is that they're hard to kill.
Lots of MDC, bio regeneration, flight, shapechanging, teleportation... It all adds up.
IF the dragon is smart enough to flee/regroup when he needs to.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

They start out weaker than a well built borg. Nothing to worry about. Hardly worth going gm vs player over. Jussayin.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

say652 wrote:They start out weaker than a well built borg. Nothing to worry about. Hardly worth going gm vs player over. Jussayin.

How do you define "weaker?"
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Shark_Force
Palladin

yeah, weaker is relative.

in one fight that deals 500 damage to you, the 'borg is stronger. in 20 fights that each deal 25 damage to you, the dragon is stronger.

in fights where you need magic, supernatural strength, or psionics to harm your opponent, the dragon is stronger.

in situations where the ability to shapechange is valuable, the dragon is stronger.

in situations where detecting as magical is a disadvantage, the 'borg is stronger.

in situations where you need to deal a lot of damage all at once, the 'borg is probably stronger (more WPs, and greater likelihood of owning heavy weapons).

in situations where more skills are valuable, the 'borg is probably stronger.

they're each differently strong. but in my opinion, most of the time, the dragon is stronger. and will continue to become more so as levels are gained.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Less mdc and fire power.
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

When comparing a Dragon and a Borg without Armor, the Dragon wins out on M.D.C. and there is nothing stopping a Dragon from wearing armor too.
Morik
Explorer

Unread post by Morik »

DU round loaded rail guns mounted (or held) by any airborne character that can move faster than the dragon under an anti-magic cloud. Just get him to not teleport away and you win.
Shark_Force
Palladin

first off, it's U-rounds. DU-rounds just do more damage.

secondly, that's a pretty large and specific investment to make, considering DU rounds are in wide use by *nobody* (and U-rounds are even less frequently used) and anti-magic cloud is such a powerful spell that it was at one point considered to be a spell of legend (and even still is a level 11 spell, so not exactly common)

thirdly, many dragons are also powerful psychics. so you better hope they don't get a telemechanic paralysis on you (or a bio-manipulation, etc).

fourthly, anti-magic cloud isn't a guaranteed success, nor is it infinite in area. the dragon can escape. in fact, the dragon can probably get out from under it in less than one melee round. at which point it teleports away, and now it knows there's someone after it (and your specific plan) and will be preparing accordingly.

fifthly, while a dragon is a powerful magical creature, nothing prevents it from having non-magical abilities or allies to rely on. in fact, considering dragons tend to be fairly rich and powerful, i would say that having allies (both magical and non-magical in nature) would likely be the standard.

seriously, one of the main things to consider when facing a dragon, especially an adult dragon, is that you are dealing with a creature that is naturally extremely intelligent, has probably been in a lot of tough spots, and has had a lot of time to think about ways it can be attacked and how to defend against those ways.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Shark_Force wrote:first off, it's U-rounds. DU-rounds just do more damage.

secondly, that's a pretty large and specific investment to make, considering DU rounds are in wide use by *nobody* (and U-rounds are even less frequently used) and anti-magic cloud is such a powerful spell that it was at one point considered to be a spell of legend (and even still is a level 11 spell, so not exactly common)

thirdly, many dragons are also powerful psychics. so you better hope they don't get a telemechanic paralysis on you (or a bio-manipulation, etc).

fourthly, anti-magic cloud isn't a guaranteed success, nor is it infinite in area. the dragon can escape. in fact, the dragon can probably get out from under it in less than one melee round. at which point it teleports away, and now it knows there's someone after it (and your specific plan) and will be preparing accordingly.

fifthly, while a dragon is a powerful magical creature, nothing prevents it from having non-magical abilities or allies to rely on. in fact, considering dragons tend to be fairly rich and powerful, i would say that having allies (both magical and non-magical in nature) would likely be the standard.

seriously, one of the main things to consider when facing a dragon, especially an adult dragon, is that you are dealing with a creature that is naturally extremely intelligent, has probably been in a lot of tough spots, and has had a lot of time to think about ways it can be attacked and how to defend against those ways.

AND don't forget AMC doesn't stop a Teleport. That is a 'natural ability' not a magic spell....and is not blocked. (there are VERY few ways in canon to stop teleportation in point of fact.)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Rooks wrote:3 glitterboys firing in unison at the dragon

Why not 300?

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

popscythe
Adventurer
Comment: Mecha-sized flamethrowers, dudes! *woooooosh* :heart:

Unread post by popscythe »

This thread is awesome.
Zarathustra was extremely accurate. He was talking about you, man.
Whoops! Looks like I was wrong about where Mos Eisley's located.
Victorious on Final Jeopardy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pilrszSXGiI
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Rooks wrote:3 glitterboys firing in unison at the dragon

Why not 300?

Because then there is copyright issues :P. And I don't want to see a GB kicking someone into a pit saying THIS IS LAZLO!!! Only to find out that the person didn't go into the pit because the pylon and claws deployed.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

It's always a bit awkward, trying to get that corpse off your pylon.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Killer Cyborg wrote:It's always a bit awkward, trying to get that corpse off your pylon.

"This is LAZ... LAZ. Dang it someone get this guy off my foot its so anticlimactic."
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Killer Cyborg wrote:It's always a bit awkward, trying to get that corpse off your pylon.

Yeah... That's what the necromancer said... Ohhhh.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Zer0 Kay wrote:

"This is LAZ... LAZ. Dang it someone get this guy off my foot its so anticlimactic."

:lol: Bloopers Reel :lol:
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Whole new meaning to necrothread.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Noon wrote:
popscythe wrote:How would YOU kill a dragon hatchling pc as a GM?

By being passive aggressive

Good luck with that
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Acid filled arrows. Why?? Cause guns are eh.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Idea: introduce speed-dating to Dragonmages. They'll get the job done, supposing they're willing to settle for hatchlings. Most probably want to harvest adults for the added stats.

Of course if I was a Dragonmage with access to a Chaing-Ku, a hatchling would be just fine :)
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

If dragons are the embodiment of magic... Why anti-magi spells do far more to them than just no casting? Hmm.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Zer0 Kay wrote:If dragons are the embodiment of magic... Why anti-magi spells do far more to them than just no casting? Hmm.

Because...THIS IS PALLDIUM *Kicks logic in giant pit* :lol:
The BIGGEST reason would be because the precedent for "AMC kills CoM" is Not A Good Idea. Since gods are supposed to be both supernatural and CoM (just like dragons).....

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

eliakon wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:If dragons are the embodiment of magic... Why anti-magi spells do far more to them than just no casting? Hmm.

Because...THIS IS PALLDIUM *Kicks logic in giant pit* :lol:
The BIGGEST reason would be because the precedent for "AMC kills CoM" is Not A Good Idea. Since gods are supposed to be both supernatural and CoM (just like dragons).....

I didn't say kill, I said... Do far more to than. Maybe cause immense pain stunning them or generating an HF

Return to “Rifts®”