Can a Basilisk be a Sea Inquisitor?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Re: Can a Basilisk be a Sea Inquisitor?

Unread post by Jefffar »

From a by the book standpoint there is nothing indicating anyone who can take an OCC can't be a Sea Inquisitor - however as Basilisks can't take OCCs they are out on that grounds.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

no
&
no, if the race precludes the char having Psi, then it is not possible.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

And the spell has a limited duration :)
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Khord - Lizard Mage
Explorer

Unread post by Khord - Lizard Mage »

In the Phase World sourcebook, under Warlock Marines, it states that many races have served in the Corps including dragons so it is entirely possible for dragons to learn an OCC.
"It's not just a Race, it's an occupation." - Khord

"Fear the Evil Red D20" - R.I.P. Arne Karl Swenson
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Khord - Lizard Mage wrote:In the Phase World sourcebook, under Warlock Marines, it states that many races have served in the Corps including dragons so it is entirely possible for dragons to learn an OCC.

first off, served in the corps doesn't mean they also took the OCC.
secondly, i've not seen anyone dispute that dragons can (eventually) get an OCC, but rather people are saying that a (young) hatchling could not, due to simply not having had time to pick up an OCC.
Khord - Lizard Mage
Explorer

Shark_Force wrote:
Khord - Lizard Mage wrote:In the Phase World sourcebook, under Warlock Marines, it states that many races have served in the Corps including dragons so it is entirely possible for dragons to learn an OCC.

secondly, i've not seen anyone dispute that dragons can (eventually) get an OCC, but rather people are saying that a (young) hatchling could not, due to simply not having had time to pick up an OCC.

As the father of a Marine in the real world I cannot imagine a "fictional" Marine Corps of any reality allowing untrained, ergo non OCC, characters serving in their ranks. I feel they would at least have to demonstrate a basic skills competencey with Warlock Marine equipment, tactics and protocol before being allowed the honor to serve in the Beloved Corps....Hoorah.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:In Rifter #15, there is a special shifter spell called "Only Human", it will transform a supernatural creature into a human. If your GM rules that it applies to a hatchling dragon I would say he could become a Sea Inquisitor, but he couldn't gain psionics;those are inborn.

Hummm.....
The only human spell does not make a supernatural into a human. It puts the SN into a human looking shell, while also limiting the SN to what a non-mystical mortal.
non-mystical: no magic, no psi, no powers, no abilities, no etc....
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Khord - Lizard Mage wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:

As the father of a Marine in the real world I cannot imagine a "fictional" Marine Corps of any reality allowing untrained, ergo non OCC, characters serving in their ranks. I feel they would at least have to demonstrate a basic skills competencey with Warlock Marine equipment, tactics and protocol before being allowed the honor to serve in the Beloved Corps....Hoorah.

sure, but those are US marines. how would the US marines integrate a dragon? would you require the dragon to learn the same stuff? clearly not. i mean, a dragon can't use an M-16 or an MP-5. it just isn't built for it. it doesn't throw grenades or anything like that.

plus, once again... you're talking US marines. this is UWW marines. not necessarily the same thing at all. the US marine corps is a specific organisation. marines in general are simply a type of troop, typically trained for boarding actions on ships, or for ampibious assaults, and so forth. thus, UWW marines are not necessarily going to have the same kinds of requirements as the US marines, because they're completely different organisations.
Khord - Lizard Mage
Explorer

Shark_Force wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:

sure, but those are US marines. how would the US marines integrate a dragon? would you require the dragon to learn the same stuff? clearly not. i mean, a dragon can't use an M-16 or an MP-5. it just isn't built for it. it doesn't throw grenades or anything like that.

plus, once again... you're talking US marines. this is UWW marines. not necessarily the same thing at all. the US marine corps is a specific organisation. marines in general are simply a type of troop, typically trained for boarding actions on ships, or for ampibious assaults, and so forth. thus, UWW marines are not necessarily going to have the same kinds of requirements as the US marines, because they're completely different organisations.

I was not talking about hacthlings, I was talking your run of the mill 20 to 550 year old dragon. If they are metamorphed why can't they use standard UWW (or US Marine) equipment and undergo standard Marine training.

Shark_Force
Palladin

Shark_Force wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:

I was not talking about hacthlings, I was talking your run of the mill 20 to 550 year old dragon. If they are metamorphed why can't they use standard UWW (or US Marine) equipment and undergo standard Marine training.

well sure. you could also take a fighter jet, strip it down to a frame, install a better suspension system and a car engine, and drive it around on the ground all the time. but on the other hand, why on earth would you bother starting with a jet and turn it into a rather unimpressive (performance-wise) car when you could either just keep the fighter jet or just buy an actual car?
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

Magic is second nature to dragons of all varietys. Allowing them access to Magic OCCs has long been Palladiums way of giving them access to more than basic dragon abilitys exclusively until they reach adult age. No, the Magic OCC note for Basilisks isn't a typo bu t that still doesn't get them Inquisitor since it's a psychic rather than magic OCC.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Jefffar wrote:From a by the book standpoint there is nothing indicating anyone who can take an OCC can't be a Sea Inquisitor - however as Basilisks can't take OCCs they are out on that grounds.

I concur with this train of thought.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Considering the sour note this thread trailed off on, I think it's worth bumping to correct NB...

Dragons and Gods doesn't say anything about Basilisks 'not' being that OCC. Phrases like 'versed in the ways of magic' and 'area of study' and 'level of magical 'expertise' don't at all apply some kind of non-OCC. All the things mentioned (Wizard/Warlock/Diabolist/Priest/Summoner) are all OCCS, and any dragon listed as having an OCC can obviously learn an OCC.

D+G's different formatting doesn't change the facts introduced in the CB. The lack of dragons in CB1r does not mean something like 'forget everything you learned'. There's a Stone Master in Splynn, so clearly Basilisks can still select any magical OCC, and not merely some 'pseudo-OCC' limited to the list in D+G.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Stone master? you referring to the one that sells frightening statues?Yep, that's proof an ADULT dragon can take an OCC, preferably a magical one.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Its does say human looking d bees and not all sea inquisitors are psionic. I still play my crazy sea inquisitor Steve but he is level 12 and we dont normally run high level games anymore mainly because everybody wants to play evil alugnments. Steve isn't fond of evil people. Best adventure was beating the crap outa a werewolf pack with a nine iron. Then sending golfballs at them as they fled. Lol
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Svartalf wrote:Stone master? you referring to the one that sells frightening statues?Yep, that's proof an ADULT dragon can take an OCC, preferably a magical one.

Except that CB1 informs us that hatchlings can also select a magic OCC, much like Chaing-ku.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Imho. Sea inquisitor is an Add-on. Much like warrior of Valhalla, DemiGod, MegaHero, etc. There is no logical argument against Class ADD-ONS. Jussayin.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Functionally yeah, though since they have their own experience table and sometimes alter some stuff it's like an OCC that partially rips on another.

Sea Inquisitors are less of an invasion on the adventurer classes now compared to before since they would not get all the special bonuses/skills RUE added for them (pretty much the only thing I liked about the book, except for the new dragons and HtH dragon)
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

say652 wrote:Imho. Sea inquisitor is an Add-on. Much like warrior of Valhalla, DemiGod, MegaHero, etc. There is no logical argument against Class ADD-ONS. Jussayin.

Sure there is. According to the conversion rules in Conversion Book 1 (Revised) and the R:GMG index list (regarding the Demigod and Warrior of Valhalla) those are not "add ons". Those are R.C.C. and O.C.C.s and the rules are pretty specific regarding how many of those you can have.

EDIT: P.S. I actually asked Kevin about this recently and you can either take my word for it or not, but he says (and I am paraphrasing because I will be heading to bed soon) that Hatchlings can learn spells but Adult Dragons can learn how to be a true practitioner of magic given their long life. The exception is the Chiang Ku which can learn a full-blown O.C.C. but in doing so it loses its ability to "learn any spell" if it chooses Tattoo Master.
So, can the Basilisk become a Sea Inquisitor? Hell no. I wouldn't even allow a Chiang Ku since its not a "studied" caster, but an intuitive one (if you can even call it that). :lol:
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Akashic Soldier wrote:
say652 wrote:Imho. Sea inquisitor is an Add-on. Much like warrior of Valhalla, DemiGod, MegaHero, etc. There is no logical argument against Class ADD-ONS. Jussayin.

Sure there is. According to the conversion rules in Conversion Book 1 (Revised) and the R:GMG index list (regarding the Demigod and Warrior of Valhalla) those are not "add ons". Those are R.C.C. and O.C.C.s and the rules are pretty specific regarding how many of those you can have.

EDIT: P.S. I actually asked Kevin about this recently and you can either take my word for it or not, but he says (and I am paraphrasing because I will be heading to bed soon) that Hatchlings can learn spells but Adult Dragons can learn how to be a true practitioner of magic given their long life. The exception is the Chiang Ku which can learn a full-blown O.C.C. but in doing so it loses its ability to "learn any spell" if it chooses Tattoo Master.
So, can the Basilisk become a Sea Inquisitor? Hell no. I wouldn't even allow a Chiang Ku since its not a "studied" caster, but an intuitive one (if you can even call it that). :lol:

Well then.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Akashic Soldier wrote:Hatchlings can learn spells but Adult Dragons can learn how to be a true practitioner of magic given their long life. The exception is the Chiang Ku which can learn a full-blown O.C.C.
Them and Basilisks, since they are also noted as learning an OCC. I'm wondering if I'm forgetting another kind, too. Not to mention there's no rules preventing pretty much any RCC from switching to a new OCC via standard rules. Although if it's a dragon, you might still have to use that big experience table.

Akashic Soldier wrote:it loses its ability to "learn any spell" if it chooses Tattoo Master.
Did Kev say this? If so, what's the deal with Rama-Set who started off as a T-Master like his bro Lo and then became a Necromancer too?

Akashic Soldier wrote:can the Basilisk become a Sea Inquisitor? Hell no. I wouldn't even allow a Chiang Ku since its not a "studied" caster, but an intuitive one (if you can even call it that)
Where does it say the magic OCC can't be an intuitive one? About the only counter-indicator to Mystic is the lack of psionics for this breed of dragon. Although lack of racial psionics doesn't appear to prevent other chars from choosing OCCs that give some psionic powers.

SIs can be non-psionic though, and they are not spell casters at all, so I don't see why a Basilisk couldn't be one.

Return to “Rifts®”