toys?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

abe
Hero

toys?

Unread post by abe »

What sort of toys would they have in rifts?
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Re: toys?

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

The same kinds as have been popular throughout history, dolls, soldiers, wagons...

The CS probably makes its own Dead Boy line.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

What about tecno-wizard toys?
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Misfit KotLD wrote:The same kinds as have been popular throughout history, dolls, soldiers, wagons...

the CS version of GI-Joe would awesome for its camp propaganda vaue, kinda like the real GI-Joe...

:P
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

abe wrote:What about tecno-wizard toys?

Skim the Black Vault adventure source book, lotsa TW tows.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

For those who could afford them, immensely popular.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

tows.

tows?
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

abe wrote:
tows.

tows?
Toys. Bastard's probably drunk posting again.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

thanks!
Just had idea for a tw toy-the super jumper 20000
Basically a hyper-powerful pogo stick on steroids!
effect-You can jump over 50 miles on a bounce!
Physical requirements-1 pogo stick & a 150,000 credit diamond
spells required-globe of daylight & any jumping spell
p.p.e. cost-125 for every 5 jumps
Tell me what you think of it please.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Check MercTown for ideas...there's a TW shop that specializes in nicknacks for kids....
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

abe wrote:thanks!
Just had idea for a tw toy-the super jumper 20000
Basically a hyper-powerful pogo stick on steroids!
effect-You can jump over 50 miles on a bounce!
Physical requirements-1 pogo stick & a 150,000 credit diamond
spells required-globe of daylight & any jumping spell
p.p.e. cost-125 for every 5 jumps
Tell me what you think of it please.

Would you let your kid on it? :eek:

:)
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Would you let you kid on it?

No,but I probably would let a fellow techno wizard on it instead.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

from "Sticks and rocks" to "modern equivalents"
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

And CS children play Dead Boys and D-bees, instead of Cowboys and indians.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Exactly. They'd have Dead Boys Vs DeeBees or Dead Boys Vs Mages.

The action figure lines would be awesome. Figures that look like your average grunt. Special forces. Vehicles like the robots or the sky cycles, Bases.

The "bad guys" could be DeeBees with "Know Your Foe" Write ups with 'powers of the DeeBees" on the back so kids can get indoctrinated from a young age. Same with Mages when the war on tolkeen came out. Different demons and magical critters action figures. Maybe a Xitichix line. Maybe an Atlantian line. Some "NGR" back up troops. ect.

I could go on and on and on.

I know if Palladium put out an action figure line. 3.75 or 8 inch, I'd totally buy it. I'd buy bunches of CS troops, special forces, Juicers, dog boys. the generals. The vehicles. I'd also buy alot of the DBee figures too. I mean the Quick flex alien and Grackletooth are BEGGING to be made into figures. It'd be awesome.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Exactly. They'd have Dead Boys Vs DeeBees or Dead Boys Vs Mages.

The action figure lines would be awesome. Figures that look like your average grunt. Special forces. Vehicles like the robots or the sky cycles, Bases.

The "bad guys" could be DeeBees with "Know Your Foe" Write ups with 'powers of the DeeBees" on the back so kids can get indoctrinated from a young age. Same with Mages when the war on tolkeen came out. Different demons and magical critters action figures. Maybe a Xitichix line. Maybe an Atlantian line. Some "NGR" back up troops. ect.

I could go on and on and on.

I know if Palladium put out an action figure line. 3.75 or 8 inch, I'd totally buy it. I'd buy bunches of CS troops, special forces, Juicers, dog boys. the generals. The vehicles. I'd also buy alot of the DBee figures too. I mean the Quick flex alien and Grackletooth are BEGGING to be made into figures. It'd be awesome.

Actually, the idea is not all that farfetched. Popular entertainment was used in almost all its forms in WW2 to demonize the enemy, including somics, which were still largely regarded as being for children at the time.The famous cartoonist did a short comic for the miltary," How to Spot A Jap." And more recently, I believe there were GI Joes modeled after various historical military figures. So, you have a real world basis for youthful indoctrination via the propaganda of entertainment. I may use this idea in a game, if you have no objections.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Oh it's not my idea... it's been around since the first caveman carved a stick that looked roughly like a cave man and a lump of clay that looked roughly like a mammoth. :)

What really gets ya thinking, is since the average CS kid can't read. Alot of the toys will probably have talking chips with the CS Propaganda slogans.

"The only good Mage is a DEAD MAGE!"
"Never Trust a DBEE"
"Human Rule! DBee Drool!"
"Trust in Humanity"
"Humans First"

Ect ect ect. Think about the Cartoon tie ins for the figures (( GI Joe, Thundercats, ect ect were all made purposefully to be half hour commercials for the toys. Not for 'entertainment'))

Captain Colt and his Howling CS Commandos! Collect them all. Get Captain Colt, His Psistalker RAGE... the Dog pack, Fido, Sparky and Woolf! And don't forget the high flying Sky Cycle squad!

And as the kids age.... the figures of course give way to video games. The Xbox v 45.3. The CS version of Laser tag (( We know they have it. It's how the training in the Merc book is done)), which rolls you right into "Sign up to be a CS trooper at 16, be a full citizen by the time you're 26!" sort of things. (( We'd aim higher but not much. The US army is using video arcades to recruit now. ))

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Misfit KotLD wrote:The same kinds as have been popular throughout history, dolls, soldiers, wagons...

I think that the CS loves the original GI Joe movie. Human soldiers against monsters and their human dupes? Classic.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

The BFG was my technowizards favorite toy. It doesn't mean what you think it does, though it was made using an old crank style gattling gun. It was enchanted with a rather heavy PPE suppy (It could store 200 ppe) and it was enchanted with energybolt, blinding flash and neon(A level 1, 1 ppe add on spell that lets you change the color of a spell.)

So, you store up the 200 ppe and then turn the crank. You're rewarded with the gentle wrrr for a few seconds before it starts shooting a barrage of multi-colored blinding flashes. It does no damage, but is generally best to fire into the air to create a fire-works like display, though he had used it as a chaos weapon on occaision (Seriously, it's great for making a small army freak out even if the worst it can do is blind you if your eyes are unprotected).
taalismn
Priest

Well, I'd replace the 'power write-up' with a sound chip incorporated into the toys and picture story book(illustrated with glamorous bold propaganda for the CS forces and lurid, gruesome, violent, ech! for the D-bees) for the CS toy lines, considering the high rate of illiteracy....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Yeah if you notice my second post I said that exact thing. *G* Great minds and all.

Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

In my Rifts games the most popular game in the Americas is "Deadboys and Dbees", and it ranges from the backyard game of "I shot you your dead""No you missed" to the videogame genre to even in Lazlo an MMO type game.
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
taalismn
Priest

...and young Summoners Summon their playmates... :twisted:
"It's not the invisible friend that bothers me, Margaret, it's the eighteen-foot tall, scaly, amorpheous, fire-breathing, winged blob...."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

I can see the other NA kingdoms putting out a line of heroic action figures of cyber-knights, magi, and others, fighting for life and freedom against the evil legions of Coalition Commander and his black-armour wearing terrorist dead boyz (who are actually pawns of Splugorth the Terrible, who uses Coalition Commander to weaken other nations so his slavers can find easy prey).
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Oh it's not my idea... it's been around since the first caveman carved a stick that looked roughly like a cave man and a lump of clay that looked roughly like a mammoth. :)

What really gets ya thinking, is since the average CS kid can't read. Alot of the toys will probably have talking chips with the CS Propaganda slogans.

"The only good Mage is a DEAD MAGE!"
"Never Trust a DBEE"
"Human Rule! DBee Drool!"
"Trust in Humanity"
"Humans First"

Ect ect ect. Think about the Cartoon tie ins for the figures (( GI Joe, Thundercats, ect ect were all made purposefully to be half hour commercials for the toys. Not for 'entertainment'))

Captain Colt and his Howling CS Commandos! Collect them all. Get Captain Colt, His Psistalker RAGE... the Dog pack, Fido, Sparky and Woolf! And don't forget the high flying Sky Cycle squad!

And as the kids age.... the figures of course give way to video games. The Xbox v 45.3. The CS version of Laser tag (( We know they have it. It's how the training in the Merc book is done)), which rolls you right into "Sign up to be a CS trooper at 16, be a full citizen by the time you're 26!" sort of things. (( We'd aim higher but not much. The US army is using video arcades to recruit now. ))

Now here is a man who understands the value and purpose of the propaganda engine. Imaging growing up your whole life listending to this, living it. And people on this forum doubt the "voracity" with which Coalition citizens buy into the propaganda.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
taalismn
Priest

...with game consoles that look suspiciously like those of the weapons and control stations of the primary CS vehicles and robots...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

And don't forget the classics (for example)the TRULLY MAGIC 8-BALL!
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
taalismn
Priest

abe wrote:And don't forget the classics (for example)the TRULLY MAGIC 8-BALL!

Possession of which in the CS gets you automatically shot...
"Your Bad Day Just Got Worse."
"You're Screwed."
"Before You Die, Toss Me Aside"
"All THings Come to an End"
"Better Luck Next Life, Buddy"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

CS 'toys' would be plastic miniature copies of all their military gear; if the real-live versions can walk, the toy-versions walk using a battery, like the toy/robot 'Robosapien'. Most versions of Power Armor would have 3-6 pre-recorded sayings like "Alert! Illegal extra-dimensional life-form detected!", "Moving to assigned co-ordinates", or " Let's go, soldier!"

Sets would include the CS DogPack and a Psi-Handler, as seen on the Rifts Dog-Pack t-shirt.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

*Reads some of the last few posts*

You know, sometimes you can REALLY tell when people read the first post in a thread. Maybe the first two or three and then skip to the end and reply.

*grins* You guys should READ the thread. The stuff from the lasts few posts were brought up many posts prior and in more detail. *grins*

Great minds though. :P

Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Here's a plot for you. Elite Coalition Samas Pilot, complete with Super-Samas. Jack Colton, All-Coalition Boy! He's the guy on the posters! He's the source of their action figures. He's a hero to the coalition.

And now...he has deserted...

What a PC that would be. What a plot if not...
vsper
Wanderer

Unread post by vsper »

I was thinking imagine the CS styled RC vehicle.

I can see a laser tag coming back. CS would promote it and probably help with youth leagues to play. It would make great training to get people use to shooting at others.

Board games would be out ...no one can read the rules

vsper
taalismn
Priest

Balabanto wrote:Here's a plot for you. Elite Coalition Samas Pilot, complete with Super-Samas. Jack Colton, All-Coalition Boy! He's the guy on the posters! He's the source of their action figures. He's a hero to the coalition.

And now...he has deserted...

What a PC that would be. What a plot if not...

Plus your new job is to smuggle him to safety...when every kid on every street(and a lot of young women) have his molded plastic likeness in hand...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

vsper wrote:I was thinking imagine the CS styled RC vehicle.

I can see a laser tag coming back. CS would promote it and probably help with youth leagues to play. It would make great training to get people use to shooting at others.

vsper

Pictograms...IT's how I learned checkers...
Maybe something akin to the Robocop game 'Total Nuclear Annihilation' or whatever that game was where the objective was to go nuclear on the entire board...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

rat_bastard wrote:

the CS version of GI-Joe would awesome for its camp propaganda vaue, kinda like the real GI-Joe...

:P

but only if it had a kung fu grip.

I only know this from reading Dr. Dennis Leary. :)
taalismn
Priest

Gypsy-Dancer wrote:Maybe a TW Teddy Bear that protects the child that plays with it?

I remember encountering several fan designs many years ago...basically a TW Peekachu with real Lightning Bolt action(and flashing hypnotic eyes...though I think that owed more to Futurama's HypnoToad...)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Library Ogre

Gypsy-Dancer wrote:Maybe a TW Teddy Bear that protects the child that plays with it?

And told them stories?

Sort like a Teddy Ruxpin that shot lasers from its eyes?

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Mark Hall wrote:

And told them stories?

That would be so fricking awesome...
Then we could just walk into Mortor.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Library Ogre

Vrykolas2k wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

And told them stories?

That would be so fricking awesome...
Then we could just walk into Mortor.

Mordor. With a D. ;-)

All Palladium Articles
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Futurama's HypnoToad

You mean mindslug right?
and don't forget that the slingshot can also be used as a toy to fire water balloons(maybe 2d8 damage to vampires?)
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

vsper wrote:

vsper

Untrue, I work in a toy store and a lot of the games for young children being made today are being hyped with the line "No reading needed to play".
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
taalismn
Priest

And new, from Federation of Magic Toys...

Junior Necromancer Kit!

"Children SHOULD play with dead thinnnggggggsssss......"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Tricky
Wanderer

Unread post by Tricky »

Ok, I did read (or at least skim) the thread, so I shouldn't repost any ideas.
But the CS "Trooper Tom" cartoon in my head is soo cool. Just think old school GI JOE, or the new Clone Wars cartoon.

But, I think toys would match up with the tech levels, with magic being a sorta deal breaker. I could see a toy store in Lazlo selling everything from hand made dolls to cool action figures to enchanted board games.

Anyone remember the Rifter that had Familars for Rifts in it: one of them was an enchanted toy/action figure.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

They probably have at least some kind of doll for some of the kids.
taalismn
Priest

...and, of course, you have the rural, handcrafts...rag dolls, wooden toys, harkening back to the wild old days of American frontier development..though occasionally incorporating some piece of pre-rifts salvage in it, like plastic bits, or car decals/ornaments...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

bump! :crane:
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

What about a mdc yo-yo?
Ale Golem
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Ale Golem »

TW Thunderpuff Guns. FOR KIDS! My personal favorite TW item ever.
Check it out and love it! http://www.badgreymatter.com/
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

They probably have the equivalent of the beer hat. :eek:
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
taalismn
Priest

Frankentoys---Toys made of cast off and surviving bits of toys found in the ruins of pre-Rifts civilization...often mismatched and ugly as hell, but it gives the kids something to play with....

And, of course, there is....

THE STICK
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------