Do you divide experience points between players?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jburkett
Wanderer

Do you divide experience points between players?

Unread post by jburkett »

Hello, Let's say that a group of four characters kill a "major menance" and I decide to award 100 experience points for its defeat. Does that amount get divided by four (25xp/each) or does each player receive 100xp? I know this sounds like it should explicit somewhere but I don't recall seeing it in writing. I know the standard for other systems is to divide the amount by the number of party members (DND for example) but other systems seem to typically award more total points for defeating/subduing foes. Thanks!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Do you divide experience points between players?

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

jburkett wrote:Hello, Let's say that a group of four characters kill a "major menance" and I decide to award 100 experience points for its defeat. Does that amount get divided by four (25xp/each) or does each player receive 100xp? I know this sounds like it should explicit somewhere but I don't recall seeing it in writing. I know the standard for other systems is to divide the amount by the number of party members (DND for example) but other systems seem to typically award more total points for defeating/subduing foes. Thanks!

awards are for all participants, not a total pool to be divided.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

looking at the list of ways to gain XP should tell you they're individual ;)

anyways, if the number of PCs reduce the challenge, you give out less XP. each PC that overcomes the challenge gains the XP for that challenge.
torjones
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by torjones »

jburkett wrote:Hello, Let's say that a group of four characters kill a "major menance" and I decide to award 100 experience points for its defeat. Does that amount get divided by four (25xp/each) or does each player receive 100xp? I know this sounds like it should explicit somewhere but I don't recall seeing it in writing. I know the standard for other systems is to divide the amount by the number of party members (DND for example) but other systems seem to typically award more total points for defeating/subduing foes. Thanks!

I award those points to each player that qualifies for the xp award.

This is because Rifts is NOT like DnD. You don't get XP per thing killed. The monsters in that section of the book do not list XP awards, you'll notice? (I hope anyway) You get xp for role playing for example. If you have someone who does a really good job of role playing an encounter, or whatever you want to call it, would you split that XP between the party even though they didn't role play very well at all? Of course not.

That's just one example that shows that the xp awards are per character, not something to be pooled and then divided.

May The Force be with you always.
Torrey
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

They each get the 100... players also get individual awards according to what their characters did.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Rifts is loosely based off of old 2nd Ed. D&D, in that the total experience is divided between the players. Having said that you can award individual experience points for a particular character's actions plus they all also get (IIRC) 25 exp. for each skill used whether or not the roll was successful.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Rifts Ultimate edition pg 296 is the experience awards tables
there is a combat table
0XP for fighting just to show off
25-50 for subduing or killing a minor menace
75-100 for killing or subduing a major menace
150 to 400 for a great menace and additional a XP rewards are likely.

then there is a table with awards from 10XP up to 1000XP

in a typical adventure its quite possible to get only minor (or no XP) for combat, but get hundreds or thousands of xp for roleplaying and non combat actions.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

guardiandashi wrote:in a typical adventure its quite possible to get only minor (or no XP) for combat, but get hundreds or thousands of xp for roleplaying and non combat actions.

Given what Kevin's said about Roleplaying i'm sure that was deliberate design decision, to not make Combat the primary or even a particuarlly effective way to gain XP.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

I award experience per individual for their actions and not from a group experience pool.
(a group could affect the value of a combat making what could have been a challenging foe to an easy one. 3 wilderness scouts fighting a ultra max might have a challenge 3 scouts and 3 GB not as much. Also some people a group might face no risk, and get no exp while others may have a challenge.)
Last edited by Blue_Lion on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I award each player their own XP.
This allows, for example the case of a fight in which one of the players is invulnerable but another player is risking double or triple damage and has a real risk of death.
The first player is likely to get 0 points, the second one would be looking at 50-100
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

Shark_Force wrote:looking at the list of ways to gain XP should tell you they're individual ;)

anyways, if the number of PCs reduce the challenge, you give out less XP. each PC that overcomes the challenge gains the XP for that challenge.

This is what I & my group's other GM have done since 1987.

As mentioned, of you did try to divide the listed XP for things, none of the PCs would ever advance in less than like a year of weekly playing.
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Myrrhibis wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:looking at the list of ways to gain XP should tell you they're individual ;)

This is what I & my group's other GM have done since 1987.

As mentioned, of you did try to divide the listed XP for things, none of the PCs would ever advance in less than like a year of weekly playing.

Far, far worse...
It would allow those who do NOT role play to sponge XP off of those who do
"Well John Roleplayed the heck out of his character and played up all his limitations, the rest of you all metagamed to heaven and back... so that's 200 XP for John, divided 5 ways so you all get 40XP"
:badbad:
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
torjones
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by torjones »

keir451 wrote:Rifts is loosely based off of old 2nd Ed. D&D, in that the total experience is divided between the players. Having said that you can award individual experience points for a particular character's actions plus they all also get (IIRC) 25 exp. for each skill used whether or not the roll was successful.

Given that D&D 2e was the first TTRPG that I ever played, and Rifts was the second, and I'm very familiar with both, as I still run both systems, I'm curious as to how you come up with this? They both use a d20 to resolve many game events, but the combat systems are very different, the attribute systems are different, the skill systems are different, the magic systems are wildly different, the psychic systems are similar, but have quite a few differences as well. How is rifts loosely based on D&D 2e? I'm genuinely curious as to what lead you to such a conclusion.

May The Force be with you always.
Torrey
Blue_Lion
Knight

torjones wrote:
keir451 wrote:Rifts is loosely based off of old 2nd Ed. D&D, in that the total experience is divided between the players. Having said that you can award individual experience points for a particular character's actions plus they all also get (IIRC) 25 exp. for each skill used whether or not the roll was successful.

Given that D&D 2e was the first TTRPG that I ever played, and Rifts was the second, and I'm very familiar with both, as I still run both systems, I'm curious as to how you come up with this? They both use a d20 to resolve many game events, but the combat systems are very different, the attribute systems are different, the skill systems are different, the magic systems are wildly different, the psychic systems are similar, but have quite a few differences as well. How is rifts loosely based on D&D 2e? I'm genuinely curious as to what lead you to such a conclusion.

Some people believe that all old games are just based off D&D.

The skill system is similar to old thief skills % base. But you do not decide how many points to put in to it. Beyond that and that you roll not much of the mechanics are the same.

An augment could be made that all diced roll playing games are loosely based off D&D because it was the first game.

Honestly the two games are to different for me to say PB is based off of D&D.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Blue_Lion wrote:
torjones wrote:

The skill system is similar to old thief skills % base. But you do not decide how many points to put in to it. Beyond that and that you roll not much of the mechanics are the same.

An augment could be made that all diced roll playing games are loosely based off D&D because it was the first game.

Weeeellll... we have things like:
Your classes being fighter, wizard, thief, assasin.
Races with them even having the exact same perks and cultural bagage as D&D
Magic being spells per day
Demons and Devils fighting each other
You know... stuff like that.
We even have weird tech.
Or, of course, we could go off of the statements of people who claim that the original game that grew into Palladium was orriginallay a Homebrewed D&D game.

And no as I understand it Palladium was based off of D&D, not AD&D.
But the old 1st ed stuff. Which is why it matches up so closely to that in so many ways.

slade2501
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the baddies I shoot, and their bodies I loot; Oh RNJesus, you I salute!

Unread post by slade2501 »

my question about this would be: does sharing an experience in real life somehow deminish your personal experience of it? if yes, then I would "divide" the exp. if not, then not.
Blue_Lion
Knight

eliakon wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:
torjones wrote:

Weeeellll... we have things like:
Your classes being fighter, wizard, thief, assasin.
Races with them even having the exact same perks and cultural bagage as D&D
Magic being spells per day
Demons and Devils fighting each other
You know... stuff like that.
We even have weird tech.
Or, of course, we could go off of the statements of people who claim that the original game that grew into Palladium was orriginallay a Homebrewed D&D game.

And no as I understand it Palladium was based off of D&D, not AD&D.
But the old 1st ed stuff. Which is why it matches up so closely to that in so many ways.

Hmmm wait there is a fighter and thief class in rifts? (that is news to me.)

Races-to my knowledge dog boys and dragons are unlike thouse found in any form of D&D. (PF like d&D was inspired by tolkeen so there is a common hertage but the perks for the races are not the same. IE AD&D elves had infrasion(thermal vison) 90% immunity to sleep and charm and detect secerte doors and bonuses to hit with bow, and certaian weapons. PF elves night vision(not thermal) a extra attackc with bows, +2%wilderness skills. Hmm the perks are not the same.)

Seems more like over generalization than real evidence.

Return to “Rifts®”