Shields.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Shields.

Unread post by say652 »

Tw enhancements for shields.

Plausible???
Limit??
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Shields.

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

say652 wrote:Tw enhancements for shields.

Plausible???
Limit??

i'd say the same limitations as any other small piece of armor.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

So four?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

say652 wrote:So four?

Sort of. the limitations is no more than 4 enchantments for your armor, but not 4 enchantments per piece of armor. That is, you can technically wear a breastplate as armor by itself, and put 4 enchantments on it. or you could wear a full suit of plate armor like the crusader, but you don't get to put 4 enchantments on hte breastplate, and 4 on the helmet, and four on the boots, ect. same with shield. It's considered part of your characters overall set of armor. or if you can, we have no rules for it. the TW rules are very poorly explained and thought out :-?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I would treat a TW enchanting a shield the same way they would enchant a regular object, or even a weapon. I wouldn't lump it into the same category as armor.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

So I can still get four armor, four shield and weapon tw systems.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Glistam wrote:I would treat a TW enchanting a shield the same way they would enchant a regular object, or even a weapon. I wouldn't lump it into the same category as armor.

I allow shields to be enchanted as either armor or a weapon.
If you want it to give you AoI, cool.
If you want it to shoot lightning, cool.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would apply the same rules as anything TW....
GMs discretion is needed for each and every item and the guidelines presented in the book are just that guidelines. That said there are at least 2 TW shields in canon (the Nexus Knights shield and the Mirror Shield) so it obviously can be done.

The whole 4 spells thing from RMB seems to have been totally replaced by the new RUE rules that have chains, complex devices built from the ground up as magic items and the like.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

say652 wrote:So I can still get four armor, four shield and weapon tw systems.

No. No-one's said that.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Trying to up the usefulness of shields.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

say652 wrote:Trying to up the usefulness of shields.

A lot of people have various ways of doing that.
And some of the canon TW shields are pretty interesting in their own right....
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I ******* hate the atmosphere of the conversations here on these forums

Unread post by mercedogre »

maybe 4 low level spells (level 1-3), anything higher, maybe only 2
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back
Jorick
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jorick »

Maybe limit tw things on shields to things shields would do.

I can't remember if it's the RMB, or where it is, but there's an idea written that the TW is limited by having a focus that makes sense. I know this is wishy washy, but I still think it's a pretty good rule of thumb.

If you want to shoot something, you use a gun. The gun helps the TW focus the fireball spell (or whatever). The fireball doesn't come out of a shield cause that doesn't make sense in the TW imagination. It's not the right focus.

But armor of Ithan, or a protection spell, or something like that works. The TW hides behind the shield, and the shield protects the TW because that's what shields do.

There are no doubt many canon examples where this is somewhat or completely broken. But I think it's a really big part of what made the TW magic unique from the beginning. The tech is a metaphor for the magic, and allows the relatively limited magician to be as powerful as those who do not need devices.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

A bit off topic, but a mechanic I like in Hackmaster with regards to shields and ranged weapons is a "Cover Save"... you determine whether the person is hit normally, and if they are, you roll a d20. If you roll above the cover value of the shield (which can be increased by crouching behind the shield), then the shield takes the hit.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

If you have ever fought against a shield, the game mechanics do not do them justice.

To make up for this, I am going to make tw, tech and psi tech versions of this under used and under appreciated weapon.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Splynn Dimensional Market had a need TWish shiled (although I think it was BioWizard) with speed-weapon altered to allow speed-parrying or something.

Game mechanics work better if you include the WP Blunt bonuses too.

The Psi-Warrior also gets some great psychic RCC bonuses for it as well. No idea why the Coalition hasn't used these guys in the SOT.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by PSI-Lence »

Jorick wrote:Maybe limit tw things on shields to things shields would do.

If you want to shoot something, you use a gun. The gun helps the TW focus the fireball spell (or whatever). The fireball doesn't come out of a shield cause that doesn't make sense in the TW imagination. It's not the right focus.

shields are deffensive by nature , but it doesn't mean they can't also be used to do damage i'm sure the TW's of rifts can be more inventive than the shield makers of old that came up with this https://www.google.ca/search?q=spiked+t ... ruj_pic%3D

if the TW had the gems and the skill i'd allow it on the shield (hell even add some small wings to it cast fly and use it as a hoverboard) but with some symbolic representation for it and that there would be a limited number of enhancements that could be placed on it (after all even the wires and gems take up room and it still needs to be held)
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Tor gets all credit for this.
A video he posted of a warrior whoopin maximum arse using two shields.

Now we gotta figure out a rifts equivalent of this Turtle up technique.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

say652 wrote:If you have ever fought against a shield, the game mechanics do not do them justice.

To make up for this, I am going to make tw, tech and psi tech versions of this under used and under appreciated weapon.

there are those who argue that a shield counts as cover, and as such shooting past a shield requires a called shot (2 attacks) and must roll over a certain number (i think 12, including modifiers) or just hit the shield, if you're on the side they're using the shield as cover from of course. also iirc, that would prevent bursts, volleys, and multi-pulse weapons from getting past a shield at all until it is destroyed, so that may not be your cup of tea.

another option would be to assign an AR to shields instead, probably at a fairly high rating, and have WP shield increase that AR. so, for example, you would give a decently large shield AR 16; if you roll 8-15 (8 being the low end for ranged weapons, only 5 required for melee) you hit the shield, and only on a 17+ do you hit the target itself. for melee attacks, a successful parry with a shield would presumably mean the shield takes no damage (as would be the case if you parry with a weapon), and WP shield should continue to give bonuses to parry.

either of those two systems do a much better job of making shields useful. you shouldn't need a magic shield for it to be of any value.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

say652 wrote:So four?

Plausible? Yes. I've done it.
Number of?
I'd say depends on the size of the shield; if you got a small buckler, two would be about the limit...if you got a robot-sized shield the size of a castle main gate or bigger, four or more wouldn't be implausible.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

So a medium round shield, Spartan size.

Two enhancements is acceptable?
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

say652 wrote:Tor gets all credit for this.
A video he posted of a warrior whoopin maximum arse using two shields.

Now we gotta figure out a rifts equivalent of this Turtle up technique.

link?
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I am unable to paste with my android.
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

say652 wrote:So a medium round shield, Spartan size.

i would think 1-4 depending on the enchantments themselves
1 for high level spells and upto 4 for anything in the one to three spell range and of course the gems and time to make it
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

PSI-Lence wrote:

1 for high level spells and upto 4 for anything in the one to three spell range and of course the gems and time to make it

I'd consider it easier and more plausible to have multiple 'focus' spells (as opposed to spells supporting and powering up the main focus) when the spells are related in principle(like Energy Shield and Armor of Ithan, or Blinding Flash/ Globe of Daylight/Chromatic Protection), whereas more different spells(like Blinding Flash/Circle of Fire, or Circle of Fire/WindRush) would be more difficult to incorporate into the same mechanism and may require two wholly separate devices built into the shield to accommodate. But that's in the nature of a GM call, rather than game mechanics.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Writing the fluff text currently, will post when complete.

NO MORE JUST POSTING BONUSES WITH NO EXPLANATION OR BACK STORY.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

say652 wrote:Trying to up the usefulness of shields.

Just take WP Blunt.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

say652 wrote:Tor gets all credit for this. A video he posted of a warrior whoopin maximum arse using two shields.

I would think the credit should go to the guy who made the video and the programmers of DarkSouls who made the technique possible. Keep this in mind, Rifts MMO makers.

say652 wrote:Now we gotta figure out a rifts equivalent of this Turtle up technique.

Three WP blunt/paired/shield using Psi-Shields made by a Psi-Warrior oughtta cover it. Although I don't think psi-shields can bash for MD so the problem would be how to get damage out of them.

Slight001 wrote:link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXp8Th41rBs&t=23
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

taalismn wrote:
PSI-Lence wrote:

I'd consider it easier and more plausible to have multiple 'focus' spells (as opposed to spells supporting and powering up the main focus) when the spells are related in principle(like Energy Shield and Armor of Ithan, or Blinding Flash/ Globe of Daylight/Chromatic Protection), whereas more different spells(like Blinding Flash/Circle of Fire, or Circle of Fire/WindRush) would be more difficult to incorporate into the same mechanism and may require two wholly separate devices built into the shield to accommodate. But that's in the nature of a GM call, rather than game mechanics.

hmm i do like that idea, i'd still have higher spells be more complex of a system IE take up more "room" but maybe if they shared something, like all "fire" type or similar like you mention allowing a greater number (like instead of 2 low level and one medium allowing up to 4 medium if they share common traits)
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Swift-13 »

I would consider a TW-Shield in the same way as a weapon in the way features are added. One spell or two programmed into it. Not that there's a lot that are "shield specific" such as Deflection...or Targeted Deflection. Of course, with say, Targeted Deflection, Telekinesis, and Wind Rush, you could get a nice throwing shield. :)
Remember who you wanted to be.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

All depends how it's made really. The limit of enchantments is usually based on conversions. Stuff built by the tw from the ground up aren't bound by that same limit (The limit of 4 armor enchantments didn't apply to the tw crystal armor, for example, because it was entirely built by the tw).

That being said, there are a lot of spells that could be handy in a sheild. Off the top of my head: Any of the impervious spells, deflection, targeted deflection, ricochet, energy field, chromatic protection, immobilize, wall of force, wind rush, mystic fulcrum, supernatural strength, etc.

Then again, I'm kind of the well established freak for being able to take just about any combination of spells and make a pleasurable tw item out of it.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

For me I prefer TW to be about style not how much I can cram in this thing.

So asking how much you can cram in a item I say 0 for lack of style.

ON the other had taking impervious to energy and arc lighting and trying to make a shield that absorbs an attack and then can fire the absorbed energy later is something I have allowed as it was about a concept not just cramming things in to be there.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Shield with a mystic portal that redirects projectile attacks.

Bullet travels into shields then is either ported above our behind the shooter, back at them.
Blue_Lion
Knight

How about a shield built to look like a dragon that breath fire, Or one that can be ridden like a surf board along ley lines. I could see an evil person using a shield with an illusion to make it look like it has babies chained to it. A telekinetic dancing shield that can block for you while you cast spells my be a interesting idea. How about a shield that repairs itself.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Good people could use shields with an illusion of babies chained to it too.

As for the TK shield that parries for you, I'd just have a TW device that does Spinning Blades, serves that purpose.

Nice thing about spinning blades: nothing stopping you from casting it more than once, and each time you do, that's another free chance to get a natural 20 to parry (in case someone nat 20s you, to tie it) and even 1 time allows you to use twin strikes with paired WP, because losing your own auto-parry doesn't matter so much if you have a spell to auto-parry for you.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Tor wrote:Good people could use shields with an illusion of babies chained to it too.

As for the TK shield that parries for you, I'd just have a TW device that does Spinning Blades, serves that purpose.

Nice thing about spinning blades: nothing stopping you from casting it more than once, and each time you do, that's another free chance to get a natural 20 to parry (in case someone nat 20s you, to tie it) and even 1 time allows you to use twin strikes with paired WP, because losing your own auto-parry doesn't matter so much if you have a spell to auto-parry for you.

Good are less likely to go for the whole baby human shield image. That is more of a evil stick.

Does the spell say it can stack with it self?-Sorry just seams king of odd that the spell stacks with itself like you are saying.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Heart Seeker and Grey.

Heart Seeker.
Medium round shield.
6D6 damage.
+1 strike.
+1 Parry.
+60mdc.
For sdc users sdc becomes mdc+60.
Create battle dress. Half Plate armor 150mdc.

Major Super Power Intangibility.

Returns when thrown.
Supernatural Strength.
Create force field.
Fly.
Fire bolt.

Grey.
Tw medium round shield.
1D4 md+ps.
Summon mist.
Mystic Portal.
Summon storm.
Call lightning.

800mdc.
Last edited by say652 on Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue_Lion
Knight

say652 wrote:Heart Seeker and Grey.

Heart Seeker.
Medium round shield.
6D6 damage.
+1 strike.
+1 Parry.
+60mdc.

Returns when thrown.
Supernatural Strength.
Create force field.
Fly.
Fire bolt.

Grey.
Tw medium round shield.
1D4 md+ps.
Summon mist.
Mystic Portal.
Summon storm.
Call lightning.

800mdc.

Why do those look like you made them with HU.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Heart Seeker is a heroes unlimited weapon.

Grey is a techno wizard weapon.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

say652 wrote:Heart Seeker and Grey.

Heart Seeker.
Medium round shield.
6D6 damage.
+1 strike.
+1 Parry.
+60mdc.
Create battle dress. Half Plate armor 150mdc.

Major Super Power Intangibility.

Returns when thrown.
Supernatural Strength.
Create force field.
Fly.
Fire bolt.

Grey.
Tw medium round shield.
1D4 md+ps.
Summon mist.
Mystic Portal.
Summon storm.
Call lightning.

800mdc.

Finished up the super weapon.
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The problem with world is all the people.

Unread post by Tags »

Why not just mount guns in the shields.
I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Good idea.
My next shield will be tech.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Those are some pretty high P.P.E. spells you put in Grey... what sort of user has the P.P.E. base to take advantage of those spells? Who/what is that shield intended for? I like the visual though of activating Call Lightning the following way: Raise the shield up over your head, point/gesture to the sky, then bring your arm down to point at the target and the lightning bolt streaks from the sky to the target.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Tor gave me the idea also pointed out one needed to be the "weapon" and one the shield.

The reason the ppe costs are so high for Grey is its ment for master psionic(double isp cost) out Mages to use. Though with the proper skill and power choice the Magic Weapon power category can have enough ppe to use a trick or two from Grey.

Thinking of making a Vanguard Brawler super spy that uses the shields.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Riot control and Civil defense Shield.

Kite Shield.
15lbs.
55mdc.
Superior craftsmanship gives the weapon +3 Parry and +6 damage hand to hand, no special bonus to strike.