The Answer Thread.

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Omote
Explorer
Comment: To the extreme!

Re: The Answer Thread.

Unread post by Omote »

In Dead Reign, is there a particular "hook" to the game that makes it different then other zombie apocalypse games/films? Is Dead Reign something different, or is it tried and true classic Dawn of the Dead style gaming?

-O
"My god is weird. My god is strange. My god taints a pretty picture." - KT
VAY VICTUS!
gordyzx9r
Hero

Unread post by gordyzx9r »

Why a dedicated book? I don't see why this couldn't have been a supplement to BtS or even HU.
"Select the facts and you manipulate the truth!" - Calvin & Hobbes
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Keep in mind, that the official, soon to be released book is probably going to be a bit different from the Rifter article that "spawned" this new book.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
gordyzx9r
Hero

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:Keep in mind, that the official, soon to be released book is probably going to be a bit different from the Rifter article that "spawned" this new book.

I don't buy the Rifter, if they came out legally on PDF then I'd buy it.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

I read the rifter article, it was cool. Liked __MOST__ of it. Some now so much. I don't like mystical stuff in my zombies. I like scientific or just plain unexplained. (( just a preference.))

1) Who are the main artists for DR? I don't have stores up here and artwork can make or break a book like this.

2) I know all Palladium games can be "pick and choose" on things, but is DR set up to run 99% on your 'reason" for the zombies, with 1% "well if you don't like it, here's zombie stats do your own thing" or is it more open ended?

3) Is there good history bits on the event? Or is it mostly stats and stuff and the GM needs to set setting.

4) If not, are there multiple settings given?

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

gordyzx9r wrote:Why a dedicated book? I don't see why this couldn't have been a supplement to BtS or even HU.

I'm not the author, but I don't get it when folk say this should be a BTS-2 suppliment.

BTS-2 is all about investigating the hidden supernatural enemy all around in an ignorant and sceptical world. It's a game of mystery, suspense and occult.

Dead Reign is a survival horror game set during the Zombie holocaust. How are the two related, other than both are horror games? Perhaps we should also ditch Nightbane and stitch it onto BTS-2?

Nope. Different dimesions, different setting, different games.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

What about Zombie Clowns? Will there be any in Dead Reign? And if so, do they have special powers?

8p
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

I know while waiting for the book to come out, I looked in Systems Failure for other O.C.C.'s, things to use for barter, etc. I'm sure there will be comparisons to Systems Failure with the nature of the game. But I'm really looking forward to Dead Reign more. What do you think the appeal is to a true zombie horror survival game compared to others in the Palladium franchise?

Also, I know some are iffy about the supernatural powers behind the Wave, but will these forces be expanded upon as well? Or will we have to wait and see more of Brulyx's demon army and stats for Brulyx himself in future books? And will there be more information on the other civilization that banished Brulyx in the past? It sounds reminiscent of Atlanteans or Lemurian. Either way, I'd like to see more on this.
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
gordyzx9r
Hero

sHaka wrote: Perhaps we should also ditch Nightbane and stitch it onto BTS-2?

Yes

The genre is similar enough IMO that it could have easily been a supplement (just like most of Palladium's books).
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

gordyzx9r wrote:
Mr. Deific NMI wrote:Keep in mind, that the official, soon to be released book is probably going to be a bit different from the Rifter article that "spawned" this new book.

:-?
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Unread post by GreenGhost »

sHaka wrote:
gordyzx9r wrote:Why a dedicated book? I don't see why this couldn't have been a supplement to BtS or even HU.

I'm not the author, but I don't get it when folk say this should be a BTS-2 suppliment.

BTS-2 is all about investigating the hidden supernatural enemy all around in an ignorant and sceptical world. It's a game of mystery, suspense and occult.

Dead Reign is a survival horror game set during the Zombie holocaust. How are the two related, other than both are horror games? Perhaps we should also ditch Nightbane and stitch it onto BTS-2?

Agreed.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
GreenGhost
Adventurer

gordyzx9r wrote:

Legally?
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
gordyzx9r
Hero

GreenGhost wrote:
gordyzx9r wrote:

Legally?

Yeah, legally...like through a legitimate source whether it's through Palladium's website or a legitimate online PDF distributor. If I could buy it on PDF I could just print out what I want to use and not have to worry about the fluff.
GreenGhost
Adventurer

gordyzx9r wrote:
GreenGhost wrote:
gordyzx9r wrote:

Legally?

Yeah, legally...like through a legitimate source whether it's through Palladium's website or a legitimate online PDF distributor. If I could buy it on PDF I could just print out what I want to use and not have to worry about the fluff.

Gotcha. I, personally, find approximately 80% or more of the Rifter Material useful. I guess one person's fluff is another person's material. :P
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
gordyzx9r
Hero

GreenGhost wrote:
gordyzx9r wrote:
GreenGhost wrote:
gordyzx9r wrote:

Legally?

Gotcha. I, personally, find approximately 80% or more of the Rifter Material useful. I guess one person's fluff is another person's material. :P

I only care for AtB...everything else Palladium makes are just supplements for AtB :P . So, I'm lucky if there is an article every five or six issues, and even then they're generally not worth buying it IMO.
Omote
Explorer
Comment: To the extreme!

Unread post by Omote »

Does the setting for DR take place immediately following "the event" or like Systems Failure is it assumed that the setting is some significant amount of time after such event?

I never read the Rifter article, but does it seem that you can remove all of the mystical stuff from DR and make a straight up survival horror game, without ruining the DR specifics?

-O
"My god is weird. My god is strange. My god taints a pretty picture." - KT
VAY VICTUS!
AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by AlexM »

Yes, things pick up right after the event, or Wave as it is referred to. Things go global quickly. There are theories, and hints in the text, but no one theory is presented as the answer. All seem plausible, with two being my personal favorites.

You are pretty quickly given a rundown on how things snowball out of control around the world. Then you are in the middle of it. Aside from Slouchers, the most common zombie, there a handful of abberation types, like the Mock Zombie and Pattern Zombie. I thought the latter were creepy-cool. The aberrant types make the game more challenging and varied. At first, I wasn't sure I'd like the subject of zombies, but now that I've seen it done Paladium style - wow.

Alex Marciniszyn
MrMom
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MrMom »

I would like to know what if anything KS cut from the book that Hilden and Sanford put in?
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

What is the mystical occurence that creted the zombies

give me say a one paragraph summmary if the events leading up to the time frame a pc would be in
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

I almost completely forgot about this! There was some mention of a new rule or 2 for group combat, for players taking on hordes at a time. Is this something we can still look forward to when the book comes out?
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:
CyCo wrote:What about Zombie Clowns? Will there be any in Dead Reign? And if so, do they have special powers?

8p

SCREW YOU MAN!!!

... damn clowns ...

:?

* a clown car pulls up next to CL, and the door opens, and out steps a clown, in a bright but torn clown costume, bright nylon hair, red nose and 18" long shoes. Then another steps out. And another. And another. And another. Still several more step out of this tiny car. And all are in various stages of decay. As one they turn to CL, and utter "brainsss....", while one in the middle of the pack utters "spleennnn". One near said zombie clown squirts him with a fake flower, and the squirted one clears his throat and utters "brainnnssss!". That sorted, they lunge for CL *

8p
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

MrMom wrote:I would like to know what if anything KS cut from the book that Hilden and Sanford put in?

Also keep in mind, that we/you/I/CL would/will only be able to truly discuss the released format. The original manuscript being property of Palladium (If I understand things correctly).
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Thanks for answering my questions.

I have another, but I'm not sure if it's beyond the red tape line.

Somewhere I read something about rote zombies or pattern zombies or something. Is this indicitive of Zombies that get stuck doing something they did in life over and over and over and over? Instead of meandering around lookin' for their PPE fix?

Like the Zombie mailman that walks his mail route over... and over.. and over.. or the one that paint's his house (( with a dry rotting paint brush)) every day, over and over and over...? There's something creepy about that drone type behavior.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Hince the irony and creepifying aspect.

bradshaw
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Gin and Tonic

Unread post by bradshaw »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:
CyCo wrote:What about Zombie Clowns? Will there be any in Dead Reign? And if so, do they have special powers?

8p

SCREW YOU MAN!!!

... damn clowns ...

:?

I did illustrate one Zombie Clown...I'm not proud of myself..I had been drinking...However, I did not send it in with the other Dead Reign Art.

(Tell you what. Since it's a one of a kind item, I'll give it away at the 09 open house if anyone is willing to dress as a Zombie Clown and perform a zombie clown trick or show and then ask for it.) -N
Dames, Droids, Drinking and Damnnation
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Mike SSN-723 wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:Thanks for answering my questions.

Somewhere I read something about rote zombies or pattern zombies or something. Is this indicitive of Zombies that get stuck doing something they did in life over and over and over and over? Instead of meandering around lookin' for their PPE fix?

Like the Zombie mailman that walks his mail route over... and over.. and over.. or the one that paint's his house (( with a dry rotting paint brush)) every day, over and over and over...? There's something creepy about that drone type behavior.

not too unlike how some people go about there living their lives.

Which was the premise for "Shaun of the Dead", :lol:
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Nxla666 wrote:
Mike SSN-723 wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:Thanks for answering my questions.

not too unlike how some people go about there living their lives.

Which was the premise for "Shaun of the Dead", :lol:

Actually it was kinda the premise for all of the "of the Dead" movies in different ways. Most especially Dawn of the Dead. The mindless consumerism and rote of every day American life. It was supposed to be ironic, by looking at them we'd see our selves. Shaun just added a bit more slapstick

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

NEW QUESTION: I really really want this book, but with the grab bags coming out, can I get the grab bag and put Dead Reign in the wishlist as my top pick, or is it too new for 'Grab bag stuff" ?

(( when it comes out. I know it's not yet published.. I'm speaking of ordering the week that DR is published.))

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Why is mommy crying?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Mark Hall wrote:Why is mommy crying?

Because you make daddy drink.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Did you actually change the why and how the zombie plague got spread or is it still the same as in the Rifter?
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Rathorc Lemenger
Hero
Comment: I am the explorer Extreme. Searcher of all things mysterious and interesting. FEAR ME.

Unread post by Rathorc Lemenger »

Any idea of how many O.C.C.'s the P.C.'s can pick or even how many different Zombie "Classes" there are??

Signed,
Rathorc Lemenger.
I've created a monster.-Taalismn.
Believe in the unbelieveable, and you shall become known to the unknown-Rathorc Lemenger
It is well documented that for every minute you excercise, you add a minute to your life. This enables you, at 85 years of age, to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $5,000 per month-An anonymous family member of Rathorc Lemenger.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Nxla666 wrote:Did you actually change the why and how the zombie plague got spread or is it still the same as in the Rifter?

I believe that was changed, due to the similarity with the Will Smith movie, "I AM MAN".
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:
Mr. Deific NMI wrote:
Nxla666 wrote:Did you actually change the why and how the zombie plague got spread or is it still the same as in the Rifter?

I believe that was changed, due to the similarity with the Will Smith movie, "I AM MAN".

I made those changes back in December.

I thought you would considering the... ummm... annoyance you felt at the movie, but I wanted to be sure.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Will the book include magic & psionics? Is there any plans for any more Dead Reign source books? Are some animals in the book also zombies? Will there be any hook/line & sinkers adventures?
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

C'mon CL, who doesnt want to fight zombie dobermans? :P
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Sanford wrote:Hey, I got a question...

WHEN DO I GET PAID?

Just kidding, no rush. Can't wait to see the finished product.

The checks in the mail, and the ticking sound is perfectly normal.
Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nightbreed »

Ok, i know you said that a few things will be changed, but the one thing that intrigues me (besides the mayans getting their mojo back) the situation with the astronauts. Will it be revealed that the reason they weren't infected was because since the ritual was done while they were in space was because they WERE in space? The ritual affected everyone ON the planet.

I'm sure others may have come to this conclusion, but since no one has asked..... ;)
Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nightbreed »

Ok, so is that still going to be the case? or are you gonna throw us a curve here?
Illendaver
Explorer
Comment: If your happy and you know it clap your hands!
Location: Behind the throne, Whispering my comment into the emperors ear...

Unread post by Illendaver »

Is Dead Reign going to turn into another horrible 25 to 50+ books game that I am going to have to take out a loan to buy to keep playing :ugh:? (And don't you dare tell me I don't have to buy them all, I am addicted for a reason...:lol:)
For that matter, how many more books are their going to be? Will there be more dead reign books?
*McRipper said so*
Me: So, what all happened last time we played?
Friend: We went back to my place and got ROFL stomped by zombies.
ScottBernard
Explorer

Unread post by ScottBernard »

Illendaver wrote:Is Dead Reign going to turn into another horrible 25 to 50+ books game that I am going to have to take out a loan to buy to keep playing :ugh:? (And don't you dare tell me I don't have to buy them all, I am addicted for a reason...:lol:)
For that matter, how many more books are their going to be? Will there be more dead reign books?

You would need to address this question to Kevin as Josh no longer works for Palladium.
Illendaver
Explorer
Comment: If your happy and you know it clap your hands!
Location: Behind the throne, Whispering my comment into the emperors ear...

Unread post by Illendaver »

ScottBernard wrote:You would need to address this question to Kevin as Josh no longer works for Palladium.

huh???? when did that happen?
*McRipper said so*
Me: So, what all happened last time we played?
Friend: We went back to my place and got ROFL stomped by zombies.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

Soon after Dead Reign was published.

It pretty much boils down to alot of us wanted Josh Hilden's Dead Reign but we got Kevin Sembidia's Dead Reign. You can google the possible reason's why.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs

Return to “Dead Reign™”