trying to decide which sourcebook to get first

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

trying to decide which sourcebook to get first

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i don't do dead reign (yet) but the main book has been very helpfull in fleshing out parts of some of my chaos earth game projects.

i'm hoping to be able to grab some of the expansions soon, and i'm trying to decide which one to get first. so i was hoping you guys could fill me in on what all some of the books cover on certain topics.
looking at the descriptions on drivethrurpg, these are the parts i find catch my attention.

sourcebook 2: dark places - from the description,
Traveling sewer tunnels, steam tunnels & other dark places.
The pitfalls and dangers of the urban underground.

one of my CE projects includes a fair bit of underground environment (pretty much every major city would have such after all, and in CE it would be a way to avoid ash and the bigger monsters), so this could be potentially useful.. how detailed does it get? or is it one of those "a couple pages and done" things?

Sourcebook 3: Endless Dead -
Weaponizing vehicles and vehicle combat rules.
this one is probably going to be low on my list, since most of the rest of the book isn't much use outside DR, but i am curious as to how extensive these rules are.. are we looking at a modernized equivalent of the old Road Hogs stuff, or is it mainly about using regular cars to run down zombies?

Sourcebook 6: Hell Followed
21 Disasters to complicate survival. Each described with damage stats, penalties and consequences. The most comprehensive information of this type ever presented! Blizzard, Earthquake, Hurricane, Tornado, Toxic Spill, Wildfire, and more.
this one isn't on PDF yet, so might have to wait a bit (don't have the budget to grab hard copies), but these seem like major helps for any of palladium's RPG's.
and i've heard it include rules for constructing drones?
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Unfortunate Son
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: When the Dead Walk, blare Misfits and kill 'em all.

Re: trying to decide which sourcebook to get first

Unread post by Unfortunate Son »

Dark Places has a decent section on Sewer's, but this section is mainly geared to how it would work in Reads Reign. Even the zombies focus a bit on how they would be in sewer's. Also has a decent section on railroads and some decent tables. All in all, a decent book.

Endless Dead is well worth it. Some terrifying zombies, 5 new classes, and decent vehicle rules that even cover some modifications. These have the zombies that I think would work best in CE. And then you got the tables, so many tables. Really helps out with quicker generation of towns, Death Cult areas and encounter options.

And we got Hell Followed. 21 disasters, 11 zombies, 7 classes and some conspiracy theories. Even a minor section on cults, as well as some NPCs. I'd say this is the best book besides the Core, maybe even better.

All in all, I'd say Hell Followed, Endless Dead then Civilization Gone. Just avoid Graveyard Earth. That book failed at what it meant to do.
Ya... Tact and social skills are not my Strong suit. Now infuriating folks, I am 15th lvl.

Return to “Dead Reign™”