Damage required to destroy a severed body part?

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

Damage required to destroy a severed body part?

Unread post by Axelmania »

Page 36 under Targeted Attacks says under "successful strike"
    If the damage inflicted depletes the location's S.D.C., that limb (hand, arm, foot, leg) is cut, chopped, bashed or shot off the zombie's body, and it drops to the ground!

The same text is repeated on page 37 in the left column in the paragraph after 4. and before "penalties from loss of limb".

Page 38 mentions how Death Cultists, Thinkers (yipes) Mocks and Madmen would consider reattaching a severed head or limb.

If you wanted to destroy it to prevent that from happening, how much damage would it require? I can't remember having seen that anywhere.

Closest guideline I can find on page 18...
    Fire may kill zombies, but it takes tie (1D6+6 melee rounds)

Page 38 lists "Fire kills too. Actually fire can destroy the walking dead too" after the statement of "The only way to kill a zombie, one and for all, is to destroy the brain", basically invalidating the "only".

This makes it sound like if you burn a zombie for 7 to 12 melees (1m45 to 4 min) they will die even if you were only burning the main body and not the brain.

So I figure that amount of time would also suffice to destroy a dismembered body part, since it is smaller than the main body.

Aside from fire though, I'm not sure. What if you wanted to crush a body part into powder, or cut it into pieces too minced to reattach? How much damage would it take?

If time wasn't a factor I could see handwaiving it, but how many melee attacks it takes could be very important if you had a limited amount of time to destroy body parts before your location was overrun and the parts reclaimed by death cultists.

Return to “Dead Reign™”