Need a little help with my DR campaign

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Michael Barakofsky
Megaversal® Ambassador

Need a little help with my DR campaign

Unread post by Michael Barakofsky »

Ok so my players just finished raiding and clearing out the local police station. Now I am stuck, not for actual game ideas and things to do but for what the group got out of the station. I honestly don't have a clue as to what all could be found inside a police station. FYI: If it wasn't nailed down they took it or at least made it sound that way.

I know there will be guns, rifles, some explosives, body armor, ammunition, first aid kits and such but I don't know calibers or quantities. I suppose I could wing it but I was hoping someone in the gaming community could give me some suggestions on what might be available. I can adjust numbers as needed for my game and even adjust type of weapons given how the local police like to think they are a branch of the military given some of the "toys" they use that I have seen. I am just looking for some info to help guide me in the proper path. Any help is appreciated. Oh and I know the evidence locker is a wild card so no worries there.
"If ya pardon me plain speaking gentlemen: Are yall STARK RAVING TOTALLY BLINKING DAFT!?!?!" - Captain Silver, Treasure Planet
John 3:16 says it all
bradshaw
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Gin and Tonic

Re: Need a little help with my DR campaign

Unread post by bradshaw »

It verys for department to department but Most likely 9mm, 12g and 5.56
Dames, Droids, Drinking and Damnnation
Michael Barakofsky
Megaversal® Ambassador

bradshaw wrote:It verys for department to department but Most likely 9mm, 12g and 5.56

Thank you for the minor assist.
My campaign is located in my home town (very original concept I know :lol: ) and our police force is kinda paranoid I guess. My town has a population of 30,000 give or take yet we have a police force that is, last time I heard anything official, around 5 times larger (my estimate; officially the day time force is twice as large and the night time force is 3 times larger) than the city in my state that has the highest crime rate (pop: 448,386). I know the SWAT here uses military grade fire power (.50 cal. sniper rifles, some scary-cool looking machine guns don't know the type or caliber, they even have an armored car with a twin machine gun turret (if the movies are accurate I saw something that looked like that same vehicle turn a tank into Swiss cheese with that machine gun)) its ridiculous.
"If ya pardon me plain speaking gentlemen: Are yall STARK RAVING TOTALLY BLINKING DAFT!?!?!" - Captain Silver, Treasure Planet
crazyfoxdemon
D-Bee

Unread post by crazyfoxdemon »

bradshaw wrote:It verys for department to department but Most likely 9mm, 12g and 5.56

I've also found that .45, .308, and .22 will also be fairly common. A lot of departments have .308 and .45 handguns. And let's be honest, .22 is fairly prolific.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

depends.. did they have the tools and time to break into the more secure areas and such? most Police stations would have their weapons and ammo in weapons safes. same for most of the ammo.

i would assume that after the Wave hit, those police still uninfected would have deployed to try and keep order. so much of the Riot gear and weapons would be gone, issued to the officers and lost out in the streets or taken by other looters. so if the group can get into the storage, they would get mainly the leftovers.

i'd personally say maybe 1D4+1 M-16's or MP-5's (or a mix), 1D4+1 Shotguns (pump action or semi-auto), and 1D6+1 pistols (either 9mm semi-auto's, or .38cal revolvers), plus 2D6 body armor vests (various sizes), and a couple Riot shields and helmets. maybe 2D6 random guns, knives, and such from the evidence lockers. (probably misc civilian pistols, rifles, knives, etc. but might include stuff like SMG's, zipguns, swords, etc. have fun.) with a couple hundred rounds for their issue weapons.

what the station would be is a wealth of more general supplies. spare clothing (kept by the officers for emergencies or long shifts, including additional uniforms), medical supplies (first aid kits, paramedic bags, various personal medications or over the counter stuff), tools, and misc items (including things like handcuffs, zipties, coffeecups, etc)

honestly to fully strip the place you'd need a couple Semi's. what kind of transport option did they have access to? that would help define how much stuff they might have been able to grab and bring with them.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Michael Barakofsky
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:depends.. did they have the tools and time to break into the more secure areas and such? most Police stations would have their weapons and ammo in weapons safes. same for most of the ammo.

i would assume that after the Wave hit, those police still uninfected would have deployed to try and keep order. so much of the Riot gear and weapons would be gone, issued to the officers and lost out in the streets or taken by other looters. so if the group can get into the storage, they would get mainly the leftovers.

i'd personally say maybe 1D4+1 M-16's or MP-5's (or a mix), 1D4+1 Shotguns (pump action or semi-auto), and 1D6+1 pistols (either 9mm semi-auto's, or .38cal revolvers), plus 2D6 body armor vests (various sizes), and a couple Riot shields and helmets. maybe 2D6 random guns, knives, and such from the evidence lockers. (probably misc civilian pistols, rifles, knives, etc. but might include stuff like SMG's, zipguns, swords, etc. have fun.) with a couple hundred rounds for their issue weapons.

what the station would be is a wealth of more general supplies. spare clothing (kept by the officers for emergencies or long shifts, including additional uniforms), medical supplies (first aid kits, paramedic bags, various personal medications or over the counter stuff), tools, and misc items (including things like handcuffs, zipties, coffeecups, etc)

honestly to fully strip the place you'd need a couple Semi's. what kind of transport option did they have access to? that would help define how much stuff they might have been able to grab and bring with them.

The group did have access to the entire building there are 2 police officer NPCs that joined the team early on tried to arrest them on a salvage run but were convinced that the laws of civilization no longer really applied given the dead were walking and trying to give people permanent hickeys. One of the officers by a random die roll had a complete set of keys and security codes to access the entire station.
The vehicle they took with them to carry supplies was a military deuce and a half (not sure of the proper designation, if you have seen Tremors 2 or 3 its the truck Burt Gummer was driving that was loaded down with guns and explosives), additionally they "acquired" a SWAT van that was in the parking lot as well as the armored car with the machine gun turret I had mentioned above. I was intending the armored car to be a deterrent, I had a thinker manning the turret and it opened up on the group as soon as they entered the parking lot, the police squad car was blitzed but the strike roll combined with the damage roll wasn't enough to hurt the 2 NPC cops in the car, the deuce also suffered damage from the machine gun but still had more than 1/2 of its SDC remaining. 1 player had his character run a circle leading the turret away from the group and a 2nd player charged the AC once the turret was safely past his arc. the 2nd player climbed the car opened the turret hatch and shot the thinker point blank in the head. I then placed 10 pattern zombies in the rear of the AC in full SWAT armor with M16s when the 1st player opened the rear doors he was trampled as the patterns deployed in standard march and jump file (he failed his HF check, the character did survive but barely, overall he took 40 trample damage) those zeds however due to not having any brain power (my oops with selecting pattern instead of mock) proceeded to line up and then return fire as they were being shot at by the characters however instead of shooting at the characters they just shot at the brick wall in front of them, it became shooting fish in a barrel, one of my players rolled 5 natural 20s to hit in that one engagement alone.
So for overall cargo capacity they had 1 deuce and a half, a replace squad car taken from the parking lot, the SWAT van and the armored car using the troop bay to carry cargo.

Thank you for the assist.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Another idea/suggestion for the police weapons is consistency. Most departments have a standard handgun, or at least calibur that they issue. There will be exceptions, but most pistols will be the same caliber/model(9mm, 10mm, or 40S&W), shotguns will be 12 gauge, rifles will .223 with a few .308 or other sniper type rounds. So having all your party members equipped with the say a Sig 9mm, AR15/M16 weapons, and Remington Pump with the same mags etc would make sense.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Michael Barakofsky
Megaversal® Ambassador

RockJock wrote:Another idea/suggestion for the police weapons is consistency. Most departments have a standard handgun, or at least calibur that they issue. There will be exceptions, but most pistols will be the same caliber/model(9mm, 10mm, or 40S&W), shotguns will be 12 gauge, rifles will .223 with a few .308 or other sniper type rounds. So having all your party members equipped with the say a Sig 9mm, AR15/M16 weapons, and Remington Pump with the same mags etc would make sense.

Yeah it would, the raid for weapons was mainly to outfit the NPCs my players have been rescuing and to acquire more ammo. My players are firm believers in a saying they use "guns for days is fine and all but it don't matter if you only have ammo for seconds." I ended up placing 40 9mm pistols throughout the station (left it to a die roll of 1D4x10) they aren't fans of 9mm but when its all thats available, I also placed 12 shotguns, one of my players asked his neighbor (who happens to be a cop) about the local police and learned they use 10 gauge as standard issue for shotguns. plus the 4 .50 cal sniper rifles I know the station has and about 1,000 rounds of ammo for each of the weapons (rolled 2D6x100 based off of one of the new OCCs, the 1 man army I think).

The actual player characters outfitted themselves rather well before game play began spending nearly every bit of starting cash on a few weapons (unless the OCC gave them a good run of weapons of choice), gear and sunk the rest of the remaining starting money into buying ammo for their weapons. I would say the breakdown of expenses was on average 15% weaponry, 25% additional gear and 60% additional ammo for starting game play. 1 of my players got 1 pistol of choice from his OCC he chose a .50 cal desert eagle then he bought a 2nd one with starting money and then bought something like 5,000 rounds of additional ammo for those weapons (he bought a LOT of ammo for the 2 .50 cal desert eagles, 2 pancor jackhammers & 1 .50 cal sniper rifle he had to start with) for an example of how my players set themselves up for starters.

Return to “Dead Reign™”