Horse clans

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

Horse clans

Unread post by Axelmania »

No not the Robert Adams SF...

Actually in 'The Walking Dead' I recently caught up to season 5's "Forget" and... Buttons.

I love Buttons, and it made me wonder more about horses in Dead Reign and the roles they could play. Has this been explored anywhere to the depth that dogs were? I would think if you have Hound Masters that you could have Horse Masters too.

These guys have the benefit of speed, tough kicks, melee bonuses when mounted, easier to find food...

Do animals in Dead Reign have the psychic abilities they do in other settings to detect danger and stuff? Would be good for defending against zombies.

Do you think they would do 1/5 with their kicks like how humans do with punches? Or would hoovees be more like a blunt weapon...

I would think metal horseshoes is like wearing brass knuckles and no damage divisors, so they could probably down a zombie with a double back kick as you flee.

They don't seem like the type to be capable of called shots, sadly, so you'd still have to finish them off. But you could do more damage and thus fewer hits to lop off their neck.

The kind of weapons which are good on horseback like sabers are exactly the kind useful against zombies.
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Re: Horse clans

Unread post by SittingBull »

Horses would probably sense zombies also. I know elephants, per Palladium printing, are extremely sensitive to magic energy and the supernatural. A horse would have to be well trained though, like a war horse, to be ridden into combat against a zombie. Horses would have more PPE, on average, than an adult human and thus be the primary target for zombies. If not careful, horses used in this manner 'could' have a very short life span. Otherwise the premise sounds intriguing. I could see lances, or pikes, making a come back in this situation.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
Axelmania
Knight

There is one horse in season 5 of walking dead and another horse in season 6. Apparently one in the comics too.

Armor might help though right? Although eventually I guess zombies could just punch it to deplete SDC... as little sense as it makes you can punch platemail enough times and then it is destroyed.
tmikesecrist3
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tmikesecrist3 »

sorry posable spiller..... I loved bottens to and wanted to cray after his fate..... But I could see horses makeing a big cumblace post clapse for what ever reasion.... for one thing petro chimiclase are hard to refien and mix, so fuel for your car hard to make... fuel for a horse? plant some seeds watter and add sunlight
"Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred."
The charge of the light Brigade, By Alfred, Lord Tennyson
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would suspect that horses have no special senses in Dead Reign. This is because dogs don't get any mention of any sort of special senses in the core book in their write up and one would think that it would be a rather important factor to mention if they could sense zombies as that would be an incredibly valuable tool.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

I'd think they might be able to smell decaying flesh but it might take training to recognize the threat that poses.

Supernatural senses to detect zombies in sealed places like refrigerators that you normally couldn't smell would be useful though.

It may simply be that the psychic abilities of dogs/horses (aside from Sixth sense, which doesn't necessarily give a full minute's warning all the time) just don't apply to zombies.

See the Invisible - nope, not invisible
Sense Evil - only works on supernatural evil creatures, have the zombies ever explicitly been called supernatural creatures? Or even 'evil' ? Alignment entries for zombies all say "considered" Diabolic so that may not mean they're actually Diabolic, just that humans think of them that way, much like the Xiticix in Rifts they may simply be alien and misunderstood.
Sense Magic - are they encessarily magically animated? I think we assume that based on their PPE-exploiting nature and the Rifter errata about Brulyx but they may not explicitly be a spell.
Empathy: do zombies even have emotions to sense?

Return to “Dead Reign™”