Fear the Walking Dead

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Re: Fear the Walking Dead

Unread post by say652 »

Steroids and stimulants powering your force of nonjuicer, juicers
Starslayer
D-Bee

Unread post by Starslayer »

Tags wrote:
Starslayer wrote:
Tags wrote:Seen 5mins of Z nation, and already like it more then fear the walking dead... >.>

Z nation is also more comedy than drama. Wait til you see super killer zombie baby.......bleh......ridiculous.

And fear the walking dead is all talk and bad acting...

And Znation is good acting? :eek:
Ive seen all of Znation, its a fun show, not serious- but the Zombaby was badly done.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Z nation is a better show.
Its fun, low budget, sad, and you connect with the people.
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The problem with world is all the people.

Unread post by Tags »

Starslayer wrote:
Tags wrote:
Starslayer wrote:
Tags wrote:Seen 5mins of Z nation, and already like it more then fear the walking dead... >.>

Z nation is also more comedy than drama. Wait til you see super killer zombie baby.......bleh......ridiculous.

And fear the walking dead is all talk and bad acting...

And Znation is good acting? :eek:
Ive seen all of Znation, its a fun show, not serious- but the Zombaby was badly done.

:roll: I never said anything about the acting in Z nation.
I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Walking dead is great because of funding, more money better show.
Fear twd has bank but as yet no Boom, though the Barber is showing lots of potential.
Z nation, no budget, campy, Crushes It. Though mad core team members die, horribly.
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Starslayer wrote:

The zombaby is no more ridiculous then any episode of the walking dead featuring the governor, or the 30 year old homeschool student Tobias.
I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft
Starslayer
D-Bee

Unread post by Starslayer »

Tags wrote:
Starslayer wrote:

The zombaby is no more ridiculous then any episode of the walking dead featuring the governor, or the 30 year old homeschool student Tobias.

Your opinion. A baby suddenly grows fangs claws and becomes super fast. I'll pass. Still a fun show.
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Starslayer wrote:
Tags wrote:
Starslayer wrote:

Your opinion. A baby suddenly grows fangs claws and becomes super fast. I'll pass. Still a fun show.

So you think the governor was a well thought out character... :lol: Or a 30 year old belongs in high school. *shrug* ehhh I didn't say the baby wasn't ridiculous, just nor more so then some of the crap walking dead and fear the walking dead have pulled.

Only Remero has done the zombaby right.

H. P. Lovecraft
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Z-Nation has zombie pole dancer and pot-smoking zombie, Walking Dead loses.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Z nation covers zombie animals as well, wears twd and fear twd on that yo.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Most Zombie fiction doesn't go into "Zombie animals" because once you do, humanity is pretty much a joke. If it can cross to animals we're just toast. You can hide from soemthing the size of a human but close up a building or hide from something the size of a rat or even squirrel or raccoon or even dog? *Shakes heads* Good luck.

FTWD has addressed animals. Their german shepard tried to fight off a zombie. Ripped it up pretty good but in the end, not being able to kill it's brain, the Zombie got hold of it and started to eat it.

Doggie didn't come back. Thus.

No zombie animals in FTWD, wich is a direct spin of TWD so, no zombie animals there either. (Where we've seen more than one horse die to zombies nad bunnies and stuff too))

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

Agreed Pepsi Jedi. Zombie animals means the ends for humans.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

It can be fun/funny/sad for a one off RPG.

I think AFMBE had a suppliment with Zombie cows. Lol. but if it crosses the species barrier, yeah humanity is toast in about a day and a half. I mean how do you guard against zombie mosquitos, or zombie mice, or snakes, or rabbits, or 100s of 1000s of other creatures. You'd have to have literal air tight facilities and those are few and far between, even when power's running. Much less once the power stops.

As a one off, or as a comic relief, it's one thing, but in a serious game, it's a game ender.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Zombies are a game ender.
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:It can be fun/funny/sad for a one off RPG.

I think AFMBE had a suppliment with Zombie cows. Lol. but if it crosses the species barrier, yeah humanity is toast in about a day and a half. I mean how do you guard against zombie mosquitos, or zombie mice, or snakes, or rabbits, or 100s of 1000s of other creatures. You'd have to have literal air tight facilities and those are few and far between, even when power's running. Much less once the power stops.

As a one off, or as a comic relief, it's one thing, but in a serious game, it's a game ender.

Zombicide has crows and dogs... Some diseases can jump the species barrier and become much worse when they do. Guess the crows and dogs ate dead zombies. Can't see insects carrying the disease, and zombie rodents would be a nightmare. Hmmm ever see Quarintine they had a zombie like infection that was in rodents.

I can see fleas, ticks, mosquitos, insects that feed on blood as mechanical vectors but never as zombies. And the infection could spread to anything that might eat zombie carrion, maybe down the food chain.
Last edited by Tags on Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

H. P. Lovecraft
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I like in deadreign, the bites not infectious.
Unfortunately people base their zombie knowledge off of tv, soo many uninfected characters get shot in the face...
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

say652 wrote:I like in deadreign, the bites not infectious.
Unfortunately people base their zombie knowledge off of tv, soo many uninfected characters get shot in the face...

Do all those zombie flicks exist in Dead Reign?

H. P. Lovecraft
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Why wouldn't they?

My pet peeves include people in zombie movies not knowing the face zombies.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

say652 wrote:Why wouldn't they?

Because typically they don't. It's hard to find Zombie media (Game, book, show) Where the 'world' knew about Zombies before the zombie rise. I wrote one myself due to that lack but that's just my own thing.

Typically when zombies start popping up the world in which they do don't go "HOLYCRAP!! ZOMBIES! EVERYONE SHOOT UM IN THE HEAD!!" There's a lot of 'HERMERGURD! WHAT's GOING ON AIEEE!!" and the shooting them in the head is figured out though messy, bloody, deadly trial and error.

Heck if you look at the Walking Dead an Fear the Walking Dead, the term Zombie is -never used-. Ever. They're called "Walkers" or "biters" or what ever but they've never once used the word Zombie.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Lore sci-fi, could save your life.
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:

Because typically they don't. It's hard to find Zombie media (Game, book, show) Where the 'world' knew about Zombies before the zombie rise. I wrote one myself due to that lack but that's just my own thing.

Typically when zombies start popping up the world in which they do don't go "HOLYCRAP!! ZOMBIES! EVERYONE SHOOT UM IN THE HEAD!!" There's a lot of 'HERMERGURD! WHAT's GOING ON AIEEE!!" and the shooting them in the head is figured out though messy, bloody, deadly trial and error.

Heck if you look at the Walking Dead an Fear the Walking Dead, the term Zombie is -never used-. Ever. They're called "Walkers" or "biters" or what ever but they've never once used the word Zombie.

I prefer stenchers.

H. P. Lovecraft
SittingBull
Hero

Pepsi Jedi wrote:

Thats because the creators of those series have said that zombies dont exist in their worlds. That leaves me to ask 'what else isnt in their world that is in ours? Do they even have Halloween? Are there any monster movies?
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Exactly, one of my favorite settings is, now.
Especially when only the outcasts know and fight the supernatural menace.
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

SittingBull wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:

Thats because the creators of those series have said that zombies dont exist in their worlds. That leaves me to ask 'what else isnt in their world that is in ours? Do they even have Halloween? Are there any monster movies?

I wouldn't read that much into it, zombies are a bit "specialized". Though in an upcoming Dead Reign campaign I will ensure the GM house rules the existence of the zombie genre. I have pull with the GM. And Pittsburgh is a zombie city. ;)

H. P. Lovecraft
SittingBull
Hero

Tags wrote:
SittingBull wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:

I wouldn't read that much into it, zombies are a bit "specialized". Though in an upcoming Dead Reign campaign I will ensure the GM house rules the existence of the zombie genre. I have pull with the GM. And Pittsburgh is a zombie city. ;)

Zombies go right along with vampires, werewolves, mummies, skeletons, ghosts, and others. That is why I say that the world of The Walking Dead would have a different look to its spectrum of movies, books, tv shows, and possibly even holidays.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

SittingBull wrote:
Tags wrote:
SittingBull wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:

Zombies go right along with vampires, werewolves, mummies, skeletons, ghosts, and others. That is why I say that the world of The Walking Dead would have a different look to its spectrum of movies, books, tv shows, and possibly even holidays.

Not in my experience. Never seen a zombie cereal. ;) Course that would be disgusting beyond reason. I find zombies to be more "adult" oriented, most of the other monsters have been well let's say child proofed.

H. P. Lovecraft
SittingBull
Hero

If there hasn't been a cereal with a zombie mascot already (I am not an expert on that area) then I am sure we will see one soon enough.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

SittingBull wrote:If there hasn't been a cereal with a zombie mascot already (I am not an expert on that area) then I am sure we will see one soon enough.

With brain marshmallows!! We could call it... Zomberry, it rots in your mouth.
Last edited by Tags on Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

H. P. Lovecraft
wick
Wanderer

Unread post by wick »

I like to think any Zombie story should have either a.) zombies that are quite different than depicted in popular culture or b.) the world has very little cultural knowledge of zombies, perhaps just enough to call the creatures zombies. Perhaps an expert on TV compares them to Voodoo zombies and the name sticks.

If either of these are not the case, the zombie apocalypse would be pretty hard to get off the ground. Before the situation gets out of hand everybody would be taking head shots (perhaps not super effectively but they would not be wasting bullets on torso shots) and shooting group members who were bitten. Groups would also come down hard with martial law from close to the start, rather than trying to cure infected or believing that a cure is right around the corner.

In the Walking Dead universe it is definitely option 'b'. Not once do they call them zombies. Rather groups have labeled them as Walkers or Biters. In Fear the Walking Dead authorities shooting at the zombies are hitting center mass and happen to hit the head on accident taking them out.

Dead Reign zombies are very different than Cinema zombies. Even disregarding the special zombie types, the average zombie is way tougher. I can see a group spending an inordinate amount of ammo trying to kill a single normal zombie (at least RAW). You need a natural 17+ to hit the head regardless if you are a Veteran Marine Corps sniper or liberal anti-gun pacifist or a 20% to hit. And even if you hit you have to do enough damage to get through the Zombie's AR. I am not surprised that many people nerf the Dead Reign zombies to be closer to cinema zombies who often go down with one bullet to the head or in a few cases 2. Another difference is that Dead Reign zombies do not infect by biting, which is a relief to players since it is a basically a one shot one kill situation in favor of the bad guys even if the players eliminate all zombies in the encounter if the zombies are infectious.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Deadreign, and that wonky no bonus to strike is garbage. Plain and simple.
Refuse to play deadreogn because of the no bonus to strike lameness of the setting.
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

say652 wrote:Deadreign, and that wonky no bonus to strike is garbage. Plain and simple.
Refuse to play deadreogn because of the no bonus to strike lameness of the setting.

Your prerogative, easy enough to house role.

Pepsi Jedi wrote:

Typically when zombies start popping up the world in which they do don't go "HOLYCRAP!! ZOMBIES! EVERYONE SHOOT UM IN THE HEAD!!" There's a lot of 'HERMERGURD! WHAT's GOING ON AIEEE!!" and t :shock: he shooting them in the head is figured out though messy, bloody, deadly trial and error.

Z nation actually calls them zombies.

And the liberty bell squashing zombies was pretty darn amusing.

H. P. Lovecraft
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I give you mercy.
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Dead Reign is one of the few zombie RPGs around, I know of All Flesh must be eaten, but people I've talked to didn't like it. If there are others I don't know them. Plenty of zombie board games but they don't count.

H. P. Lovecraft
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I use the old school spell created Zombies a lot, my own plague zombies occasionally and the badboys Xombies.

Lets not forget Murderwraiths and other superior types of undead as well.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

SittingBull wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:

But my point is that it's not "JUST" TWD or FTWD, it's almost universal across Zombie media. (Books, games, videogames, movies, tv) That part of the "Zombie" package, is that people don't have 'zombies' in their world before the 'real' zombies pop up.

If you find a world that had lots of zombie movies and books before zombies literally started getting up and eating people, it's a pretty rare exception. To the point I wrote two books in a world just like that. (Not that it helped overly much to the world in general)

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

wick wrote:I like to think any Zombie story should have either a.) zombies that are quite different than depicted in popular culture or b.) the world has very little cultural knowledge of zombies, perhaps just enough to call the creatures zombies. Perhaps an expert on TV compares them to Voodoo zombies and the name sticks.

If either of these are not the case, the zombie apocalypse would be pretty hard to get off the ground. Before the situation gets out of hand everybody would be taking head shots (perhaps not super effectively but they would not be wasting bullets on torso shots) and shooting group members who were bitten. Groups would also come down hard with martial law from close to the start, rather than trying to cure infected or believing that a cure is right around the corner.

In the Walking Dead universe it is definitely option 'b'. Not once do they call them zombies. Rather groups have labeled them as Walkers or Biters. In Fear the Walking Dead authorities shooting at the zombies are hitting center mass and happen to hit the head on accident taking them out.

Dead Reign zombies are very different than Cinema zombies. Even disregarding the special zombie types, the average zombie is way tougher. I can see a group spending an inordinate amount of ammo trying to kill a single normal zombie (at least RAW). You need a natural 17+ to hit the head regardless if you are a Veteran Marine Corps sniper or liberal anti-gun pacifist or a 20% to hit. And even if you hit you have to do enough damage to get through the Zombie's AR. I am not surprised that many people nerf the Dead Reign zombies to be closer to cinema zombies who often go down with one bullet to the head or in a few cases 2. Another difference is that Dead Reign zombies do not infect by biting, which is a relief to players since it is a basically a one shot one kill situation in favor of the bad guys even if the players eliminate all zombies in the encounter if the zombies are infectious.

This is true in many aspects. Well said.

Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
SittingBull wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:

Lm
But my point is that it's not "JUST" TWD or FTWD, it's almost universal across Zombie media. (Books, games, videogames, movies, tv) That part of the "Zombie" package, is that people don't have 'zombies' in their world before the 'real' zombies pop up.

If you find a world that had lots of zombie movies and books before zombies literally started getting up and eating people, it's a pretty rare exception. To the point I wrote two books in a world just like that. (Not that it helped overly much to the world in general)

We need a bigger cross section before we can determine that, do we include Remero movies?

H. P. Lovecraft
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Tags wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
SittingBull wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:

Lm

We need a bigger cross section before we can determine that, do we include Remero movies?

Romero movies do not have 'Zombies' prior to the outbreak. The people learn over the course of the movies and what not how to kill them.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

The unkillable are my favorite Zombies, "Brains!!"
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Romero movies do not have 'Zombies' prior to the outbreak. The people learn over the course of the movies and what not how to kill them.

Diary of the dead seems to suggest pre zombie rise knowledge, Night of the living dead obviously not, Land of the Dead actually calls them zombies.

I'm not familiar with All Flesh must be eaten, so can't speak to that. Board games can hardly be counted, "Zombies!!" was not very detailed, and Zombicide, well in game it's not clear if people knew about zombies or not, Dead rising was just odd...

Haven't seen a Return of the living dead in forever.

Ahhh *shrug* My focus is waning...

H. P. Lovecraft
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I look at things from a superhero stand point.
Zombies are really only dangerous in mass numbers and vs normal people.
3 Vampires is Equal to 150 Zombies, in Rifts some characters can walk through Vampires.

I hope Z Nation adds in more mutants and such.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Not really. DR Zombies, as pointed out above are stupid strong and hard to kill.

In rifts, Vampires aren't easily 'walked through' either. Not if played remotely smart. Your mileage may vary, depending on GM

SittingBull
Hero

So these zombie settings, that dont have zombies, do they also not have the existence of real life zombies in the animal world?

That last 10 or 15 zombies books I have read all had zombies in the media before they happened for real in the book.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
SittingBull
Hero

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Not really. DR Zombies, as pointed out above are stupid strong and hard to kill.

In rifts, Vampires aren't easily 'walked through' either. Not if played remotely smart. Your mileage may vary, depending on GM

In canon, the only player that can walk through vampires is someone with alter physical structure water.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

High level Rpa Elite Conquistadors sword deals 2D6×10+25hp then doubled for being silver.
At high level, W.A.L.K.
SittingBull
Hero

say652 wrote:High level Rpa Elite Conquistadors sword deals 2D6×10+25hp then doubled for being silver.
At high level, W.A.L.K.

If they can hit, vampires have that pesky ability to turn into fog.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

SittingBull wrote:So these zombie settings, that dont have zombies, do they also not have the existence of real life zombies in the animal world?

That last 10 or 15 zombies books I have read all had zombies in the media before they happened for real in the book.

10 or 15 books you read all had zombies in the media before they happened for real in the book?

Can you please list these titles?

Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

SittingBull wrote:
say652 wrote:High level Rpa Elite Conquistadors sword deals 2D6×10+25hp then doubled for being silver.
At high level, W.A.L.K.

If they can hit, vampires have that pesky ability to turn into fog.

My GM hated Rifts vampires in one campaign we played, modified WW vamps... Very annoying little pests. But this is about zombies, in one series I am slowly reading some kind of gas turned people into zombies, though they were a new experience for people. >.>

H. P. Lovecraft
SittingBull
Hero

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
SittingBull wrote:So these zombie settings, that dont have zombies, do they also not have the existence of real life zombies in the animal world?

10 or 15 books you read all had zombies in the media before they happened for real in the book?

I will have to get back to you on that, I cant take the bright light of my phone right now to look at the books.

I can the EX series (4 books) by Peter Clines. The Zombie Chronicles by Chrissy Peebles. After First Light by Scott Nicholson. Omega Pathogen Mayhem by J. G. Hicks Jr. Zombie Fallout by Mark Tufo. The Eden Plague by David Vandyke. Panic by K. R. Griffiths. Hive by Griffin Hayes. LZR-1143 Infection by Bryan James. Occupation Lazarus Infinity. Voyage of the Dead by David P. Forsyth. Of the top of my head.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

SittingBull wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:

I will have to get back to you on that, I cant take the bright light of my phone right now to look at the books.

I can the EX series (4 books) by Peter Clines. The Zombie Chronicles by Chrissy Peebles. After First Light by Scott Nicholson. Omega Pathogen Mayhem by J. G. Hicks Jr. Zombie Fallout by Mark Tufo. The Eden Plague by David Vandyke. Panic by K. R. Griffiths. Hive by Griffin Hayes. LZR-1143 Infection by Bryan James. Occupation Lazarus Infinity. Voyage of the Dead by David P. Forsyth. Of the top of my head.

And all those books mentioned Zombie media, in the books pre-existing the zombie rise itself?

Return to “Dead Reign™”