Fear the Walking Dead

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Fear the Walking Dead

Unread post by whassupman03 »

Hello...

I thought that since fans of Z Nation (One of my current favorites...) here in the Palladium Megaverse have posted threads about the show and its return, starting with this one by Tor and the latest by SittingBull, we could grow a bit more diverse by talking about a spin-off series that just premiered last night: Fear the Walking Dead. Spun off from (You guessed it!) The Walking Dead, it starts off at the beginning of the zombie apocalypse rather than several months later when the main protagonist wakes up from a coma.

My belief is that while this has a number of differences from Dead Reign canon, it can act as a bit of inspiration to show people how one could create the background of a character and the world he lives in when setting up the game. Note that I won't spoil anything about the story, but I will say that the show starts off at a point where civilization still stands, it's set in a major metropolitan area (Bad news for survivors! :?), and that the zombies tend to appear "fresher" than in the original series, because they haven't had the chance to decay as much over the course of the several months that would follow. Personally, I think that watching this show might be useful for Dead Reign GMs in need of inspiration. However, I, as always, do not propose actual crossover material. The intent I offer is to use what you learn from the show to enrich the kind of storyline that your games may have.

Anyway, feel free to comment or add constructive criticism. :-) Even so, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 :mrgreen:
I don't normally kill zombies, but when I do, I use the...

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Re: Fear the Walking Dead

Unread post by say652 »

It was decent. A little slow to start but it will pick up.

I noticed the nearly impossible head shot rules don't apply in tv or any other game line.
Hmmmmm.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

say652 wrote:It was decent. A little slow to start but it will pick up.

I noticed the nearly impossible head shot rules don't apply in tv or any other game line.
Hmmmmm.

Yeah, it's definitely going to be quite episodic. I also heard that they already set it up for two seasons, so we're probably going to have to take it slow for a while.[sup]1[/sup] :roll: But anyway, it looks promising. Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)

Sources:

[1]: http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/08/fear_the_walking_dead_becomes.html

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dargo83 »

i loved it it was like how i started my DR game but if u look at them in the begining they miss more head shots then they make besides now that were coming up to the 6th season they have been fighting walkers for almost 2 years
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

Funny how they went from "you wont see the first zombie for like 6 episodes" when they first released news about the series to "2 zombies dead in the first episode".
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

The one in the crackhouse, the victims that will rise, the "kill shot" one, and the dope dealer.

So three seen and two we know are going to come back.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

say652 wrote:The one in the crackhouse, the victims that will rise, the "kill shot" one, and the dope dealer.

So three seen and two we know are going to come back.

That's often how the zombie apocalypse starts: A few zombies will appear in wayward places, which act as urban legends to most and harbingers of doom to few. But once they appear, they are followed by massive reinforcements. Only those who have the tools and the talent needed to survive will do so, but of course most people who are supposedly prepared tend to do so for the mundane, whether it be fires, earthquakes, nuclear war, terrorism, and other such things. No one will ever expect the walking dead, save for a few people who are considered to be crackpots by the majority. Even if the majority begins to believe, it will be too late for many of them, because while many common preparations can help one survive the end of the world, the unexpected has a way with fate. :roll: Even so, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good night.

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
SittingBull
Hero

3 seen, I stand corrected.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

So who started their neighbors as zombies??
SittingBull
Hero

I think we are going to find out either the flu shots were a cover up while the government hoped to contain the zombie problem OR the flu shots are somehow affecting some people.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dargo83 »

only problem w/ the flu shot is that not everyone takes them but everyones infected
SittingBull
Hero

Well the virus mutates at some point, from being bite delivered, or the flu itself is the virus.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

SittingBull wrote:Funny how they went from "you wont see the first zombie for like 6 episodes" when they first released news about the series to "2 zombies dead in the first episode".

I never heard that. There's only 6 episodes in the season. lol.

It'd be pretty stupid to do a zombie show with no zombies.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

say652 wrote:So who started their neighbors as zombies??

I wrote a zombie novel... 2 years ago now? The first zombie 'seen' by the protagonist was the babysitter and a teen that had been known for years.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

SittingBull wrote:I think we are going to find out either the flu shots were a cover up while the government hoped to contain the zombie problem OR the flu shots are somehow affecting some people.

Well to be fair they do a flu shot push each year. helps to cut back on government spending on the down side.

I wouldn't doubt that there is governmental coverup. If you remember the doctor said "We just don't know enough about it" when druggies' roomate crashed and they reacted FAST To that.

But I doubt very seriously we'll get a cause/effect thing with the flu shots. Part of the trick/mythos/trope of most zombie genre is that you never know 'what' caused it. There's speculation but noone knows.

In TWD the guys at the CDC didn't know what caused it, so doctors out in LA sure aren't going to know.

SittingBull
Hero

If the CDC had been closer to the start of the outbreak things might have happened differently.

I'm not saying we will find out; just what I was thinking.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

say652 wrote:So who started their neighbors as zombies??

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

To expand on the link provided by the OP, here are more specific ones:

http://www.amc.com/shows/fear-the-walki ... e-01/pilot

http://www.amc.com/shows/fear-the-walki ... yet-so-far

I am apparently able to watch episode 1 as a free teaser, but when I came to episode 2 it told me to sign in to watch it, so I think you need to be an AMC subscriber to watch beyond episode 1 :(

I notice both say "87 days left", not sure what it means, possibly no more free and/or online viewing past that.

Watching ep 1 now, since I was fan of the show on AMC back when it was part of my cable package. Last I remember, governor was shacked up with 2 sisters and their dad or something like that.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
SittingBull
Hero

AMC "Humans" has all its episodes on the sight but they apparently come down (to free up space???) in one week.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Tor wrote:To expand on the link provided by the OP, here are more specific ones:

http://www.amc.com/shows/fear-the-walki ... e-01/pilot

http://www.amc.com/shows/fear-the-walki ... yet-so-far

I am apparently able to watch episode 1 as a free teaser, but when I came to episode 2 it told me to sign in to watch it, so I think you need to be an AMC subscriber to watch beyond episode 1 :(

I notice both say "87 days left", not sure what it means, possibly no more free and/or online viewing past that.

Watching ep 1 now, since I was fan of the show on AMC back when it was part of my cable package. Last I remember, governor was shacked up with 2 sisters and their dad or something like that.

It's a totally different show Tor.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

The high gang activity and plethora of weapons in California not to mention the voodoo would be able to hold a zombie horde.

A half dozen kids with Ak's all jacked up on drugs are a fearsome force. With the availability of combat shotguns, aiming becomes less of an issue.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Pepsi Jedi wrote:It's a totally different show Tor.

Agreed. Fear the Walking Dead is both a spinoff and a prequel, so it's great at multitasking! :lol:

say652 wrote:The high gang activity and plethora of weapons in California not to mention the voodoo would be able to hold a zombie horde.

A half dozen kids with Ak's all jacked up on drugs are a fearsome force. With the availability of combat shotguns, aiming becomes less of an issue.

Gang activity like that could be quite the edge California may need to save as many of their own people as they can - if they can cooperate enough to work together as one. Rivalry is a big thing in gang culture, so that may prove to be a problem in some cases. Even so, you never know - you may see street gangs fighting alongside the LAPD and the National Guard to clear their homes and streets of the Walking Dead. However, judging by what happens early in Los Angeles, it may not be that easy. :wink: But anyway, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good night.

whassupman03 8)

P.S.: I am definitely looking forward to Episode 3, for I nearly went into withdrawal on Sunday (Not only for Fear the Walking Dead but for Rick and Morty as well...). :?

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The problem with world is all the people.

Unread post by Tags »

It hasn't picked up and the family is a joke... Plus they keep changing the damn rules. At least the drug dealer dying was amusing...
I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft
dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dargo83 »

cali has some of the strictest gun laws in the USA (yes i know that doesnt apply to gangs) and the walkers arent the reason y the show is called the walking dead or fear the walking dead. the title referses to the living
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Kinda of over the show already.

Boring and bad acting come to mind.

I see the spin off spinning into oblivion soon....

You know what's awesome, Z NATION.
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

say652 wrote:Kinda of over the show already.

Boring and bad acting come to mind.

I see the spin off spinning into oblivion soon....

You know what's awesome, Z NATION.

Exactly.... I wasn't excepting a zombie thrill ride, but let's be honest, the story to date could have been so much better. Most of the actors suck, and well the show is a flop.
I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

It's like being in a game where the gm uses "approved" occs.
That level of lame with a why am I wasting my life on the side. Lol
SittingBull
Hero

It isn't for everyone but I like it.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

I'm enjoying it myself and looking forward to seeing where it goes.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

My current group watches the show after gaming... Tends to dissolve into a psudo MST3K...

H. P. Lovecraft
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

SittingBull wrote:It isn't for everyone but I like it.

Shawn Merrow wrote:I'm enjoying it myself and looking forward to seeing where it goes.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit too. Of course I started off on it in a weird sort of way - I never watched The Walking Dead before watching this. What's really interesting is that all that time I was focusing on working with Dead Reign and a bunch of other things, and I never really watched the original series. But when I caught onto this show, I thought "Hey, this is a prequel - maybe I can try this out to see if it leads into some semblance The Walking Dead. And then I can try it out in a different sort of way!" Essentially, it would be like watching the Star Wars saga from Episode I: The Phantom Menace to Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, so it would be kind of weird, but I thought that I would do it in a different sort of way. :roll: Literally, watching Star Wars in the same way would be quite similar to watching these shows - because it starts off slow and then picks up, and the fact that both trilogies take off from different points of view enhances the effect. Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good night.

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I do like the walking dead sometimes.

Hopefully some sort of action happens I The s show
SittingBull
Hero

Only problem to Fear the Walking Dead, most likely, is we know how it ends. I do not honestly see how Fear the Walking Dead will remain in the city. We all know how cities are death zones, when zombies are involved, but 'perhaps' with the walking dead its a little easier. In The Walking Dead, 2 or 3 times, they went into Atlanta. I guess zombies in Walking Dead are MUCH more herd minded and, it seems to me, never stop moving; where dead reign zombies if they dont have a reason to be moving will stop and go into sleep mode. If the zombies kept moving and tended to gather together (putting them in mostly in one area), instead of going into sleep mode, then I suppose it would be possible for a small group to move around the city; even after the zombies reach large numbers.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I like the herd zombie theory.

Even the baddest brawler realizes they can't win against millions of enemies coming from all directions.
SittingBull
Hero

say652 wrote:I like the herd zombie theory.

Even the baddest brawler realizes they can't win against millions of enemies coming from all directions.

For once I agree with you Say.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

That would be the second time we agreed Chief.
SittingBull
Hero

Not keeping a running tally but ok.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

SittingBull wrote:Only problem to Fear the Walking Dead, most likely, is we know how it ends. I do not honestly see how Fear the Walking Dead will remain in the city. We all know how cities are death zones, when zombies are involved, but 'perhaps' with the walking dead its a little easier. In The Walking Dead, 2 or 3 times, they went into Atlanta. I guess zombies in Walking Dead are MUCH more herd minded and, it seems to me, never stop moving; where dead reign zombies if they dont have a reason to be moving will stop and go into sleep mode. If the zombies kept moving and tended to gather together (putting them in mostly in one area), instead of going into sleep mode, then I suppose it would be possible for a small group to move around the city; even after the zombies reach large numbers.

Fear the walking dead and the walking dead change the zombie rules constantly.

H. P. Lovecraft
SittingBull
Hero

Tags wrote:
SittingBull wrote:Only problem to Fear the Walking Dead, most likely, is we know how it ends. I do not honestly see how Fear the Walking Dead will remain in the city. We all know how cities are death zones, when zombies are involved, but 'perhaps' with the walking dead its a little easier. In The Walking Dead, 2 or 3 times, they went into Atlanta. I guess zombies in Walking Dead are MUCH more herd minded and, it seems to me, never stop moving; where dead reign zombies if they dont have a reason to be moving will stop and go into sleep mode. If the zombies kept moving and tended to gather together (putting them in mostly in one area), instead of going into sleep mode, then I suppose it would be possible for a small group to move around the city; even after the zombies reach large numbers.

Any examples?
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Fast then slowly becoming slower.

Lethal than slightly worse and worse in combat until two chicks with a street sign and a bat level like 30 zombies.
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

SittingBull wrote:
Tags wrote:

Any examples?

Well in the walking dead there is the seemingly sudden attraction of zombies to fire, now that just doesn't make sense to begin with, then how did the survivors even know it would work, their body language and actions sure showed a lot of confidence in this plan. Then there's the cases where one zombie can break through glass barriers, but when it doesn't suit a herd can't break a decrepit glass window.

In fear, no one seems to know what a zombie is, certainly limited to no experience, but suddenly the parents act as if they know the bite is bad news... If zombies are just appearing how does anyone know the bite spreads it...

All I ask is consistency. Seems my friends and I think to much into it.

H. P. Lovecraft
SittingBull
Hero

Their speed, to me at seems, seems to depend on how close they are to 'food.'

In "Fear the Walking Dead" I think after what they saw, first hand, then them not getting sick while being around people who have been sick (even though some of them weren't alive at the time), and the general knowledge of zombies in american culture (assumed I feel) lead them to being bitten being the method of transfer for the virus.

With fire I think (when it helps the story of course) and anything moving seem to get zombies attention. Since fire looks like its moving and (I presume) since it gives off lite (especially at nite) it can distract them.

2 People can take out 30 zombies if they are spaced out and not using dead reign rules. Sometimes having a lot of attackers can hinder the attackers. Look where the african american character, who was really protective of the baby, was dog piled by like 15 zombies and he managed to get out without a bite because he kept moving.

Zombies in The Walking Dead world (and other worlds I have seen) only need their brain to be damaged, even a little, and they will be out of commision. By our gaming rules you have to deplete the brains hit points after ALL of the skulls SDC. I make it easier to kill a zombie in my game, especially if you manage to land an attack through an eye (or through the roof of the mouth in melee circumstances).
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

SittingBull wrote:Their speed, to me at seems, seems to depend on how close they are to 'food.'

In "Fear the Walking Dead" I think after what they saw, first hand, then them not getting sick while being around people who have been sick (even though some of them weren't alive at the time), and the general knowledge of zombies in american culture (assumed I feel) lead them to being bitten being the method of transfer for the virus.

With fire I think (when it helps the story of course) and anything moving seem to get zombies attention. Since fire looks like its moving and (I presume) since it gives off lite (especially at nite) it can distract them.

2 People can take out 30 zombies if they are spaced out and not using dead reign rules. Sometimes having a lot of attackers can hinder the attackers. Look where the african american character, who was really protective of the baby, was dog piled by like 15 zombies and he managed to get out without a bite because he kept moving.

Zombies in The Walking Dead world (and other worlds I have seen) only need their brain to be damaged, even a little, and they will be out of commision. By our gaming rules you have to deplete the brains hit points after ALL of the skulls SDC. I make it easier to kill a zombie in my game, especially if you manage to land an attack through an eye (or through the roof of the mouth in melee circumstances).

Hmm *nods*

One other thing, driving a knife through some someone's skull is not that easy... Seen a combat knife in someone's head, but that was a combat knife. Least Fear got that right.

I dunno, I get the impression the zombie genre was either not that big or never existed in the world the show is set in. Though in any Dead Reign game I play you better believe Romero zombie flicks are big.

Never done much fighting in Dead Reign, so my experience with the combat system is lacking.

H. P. Lovecraft
dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dargo83 »

in fear and walking dead zombies dont exist and are never refered to them as such. but in my game it is based off the players in real life (well 25 years in the future) and as we all know our gereration is the best perpared for the zpoc w/ all the video games, books, and tv shows
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

say652 wrote:The high gang activity and plethora of weapons in California not to mention the voodoo would be able to hold a zombie horde.

No. Not really. Aiming is very much an issue. The 'myth' that one doesn't need to aim with a shot gun that rose in the 80s is just that. You still need to aim. They're not huge flaming cones of death like many people seem to think they are. Hunter's don't go out and blow deer in half guys.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Another thing about "Gangs+gunz=dead zed" Thing, most gangsters can hardly hit the side of a barn with their guns. It's not like they go to the range regularly and put tons of bullets down range. They mostly carry their guns and if/when they shoot, point in the general direction (Often holding the gun incorrectly) and just squeese the trigger as they run the other way. If you get 'hit' by a gangster's bullet, it's mostly luck. And getting hit in the head would be even more luck. Gangs often don't enguage in distance shooting either. They draw and shoot with in a few feet of their target, which is a real bad idea with zombies. That or a dive by, where you're just spraying an area. Which would have little to no effect on zombies.

Yes gang's have guns, but it wouldn't do them alot of good. "Spray and pray" is a horrible tactic for something you -have- to hit in the head.

As someone else has pointed out. Cali, and LA specifically have horrible gun laws. You can't even have a 30 round magazine there.

whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Another thing about "Gangs+gunz=dead zed" Thing, most gangsters can hardly hit the side of a barn with their guns. It's not like they go to the range regularly and put tons of bullets down range. They mostly carry their guns and if/when they shoot, point in the general direction (Often holding the gun incorrectly) and just squeese the trigger as they run the other way. If you get 'hit' by a gangster's bullet, it's mostly luck. And getting hit in the head would be even more luck. Gangs often don't enguage in distance shooting either. They draw and shoot with in a few feet of their target, which is a real bad idea with zombies. That or a dive by, where you're just spraying an area. Which would have little to no effect on zombies.

Yes gang's have guns, but it wouldn't do them alot of good. "Spray and pray" is a horrible tactic for something you -have- to hit in the head.

As someone else has pointed out. Cali, and LA specifically have horrible gun laws. You can't even have a 30 round magazine there.

Ah; true - oh so true, now that I think about it. :-) Of course the trouble I see now is that the gangs are lacking in good tactics. The "Spray-and-pray" style of combat is not only wasteful in bullets but also human lives as well, because a hit to the head is one of the only ways to kill one of the undead, and if you spray the undead with bullets everywhere else, you'll just tick them off. :? I also agree with you that California has some of the worst weapons laws in the entire US - it's the reason why it's referred to by some as a "Nanny State," because it is said that they control just about everything. :badbad: Even that might not stop the criminals from getting their hands on banned weapons though, if a sufficient black market exists, people can get them, and there may be loopholes as well that allow legalized acquisition of such weapons as well. But that's a topic for another day. Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good night.

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Sooooo sending in the gangs is like ringing the dinner bell.

H. P. Lovecraft
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Indeed. Which is a little funny. One of the official Dead Reign books has a biker gang (Different sort of gang) Basicly coming to the rescue of the decimated army and acting like knights of the round. It's pretty silly.

Now a 'Biker gang' isn't the sort of gang we're talking about in LA but still.

Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Well if we're thinking of the same gang, they are vastly more intelligent then your average street gang. Though riding to the defense of the army... :roll:

H. P. Lovecraft

Return to “Dead Reign™”