Help from my colonial cousins!

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Epically
Explorer

Help from my colonial cousins!

Unread post by Epically »

Hey fellas.

I'm starting up a new campaign for a new player. It's going to be based in the center of an American city, at the start of the outbreak, with the main goal of escaping the city. The catch; millions of zombies!

Anyway, my question is what is the largest city in America? By largest, not in population, but in scale? I want to try and make it so it takes quite a while to get out, but not sure which city to go with.

Also, anyone know where I can get a detailed downloadable map of said place? Maybe like a tourist map or something?

Thanks in advance.
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Re: Help from my colonial cousins!

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Here is a list based on the 2000 US census for the largest Metropolitan areas in the US by square miles.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/general-u-s/1228217-area-square-miles-all-metropolitan-statistical.html

Keep in mind, the largest are not necessarily densely populated (Anchorage is #2 on the list despite a tiny population).

However, some of them like the #1 San Bernadino-Riverside-Ontario, California is one enormous suburban and urban sprawl. There is relatively little "city center" like you'd find in most "big cities" like New York, Philly, Chicago, LA, etc. However, in terms of getting out of the area of "dense" population it is miles and miles. More than 27,000 square miles to be exact (or about 160x160 miles, or about 1 1/2hr by car from the "center" on relatively major roads and no traffic).

Also keep in mind some of that metro area has very, very low population density. For example the Flagstaff-Scottsdale metro area. I don't live there, but I did drive through it over the summer when I was out visiting the Grand Canyon (beautiful area BTW). There are some "city centers" that are a bit more old town like and some a slight bit more modern...though no real high rises. There is also some fairl extensive suburbs and exurbs. However, there are plenty of non-suburban areas where they might only be a dozen residences in the surrounding square mile and the population density might be that low for 5 or 10 miles before you hit a pocket of higher population density again around there.

Back to the SB-R-O metro area in Cali though. That is VERY dense population. You aren't going to find much in the way of forests and rural areas contained within that metro area.
Epically
Explorer

Thanks mate.
azazel1024
Champion

Oh sure, there are some out of the way places...but if you want to get completely out of the metro area...it is going to be days on foot and most of it is going to be through neighborhoods, industrial parks, strip malls, etc, etc with only a relatively small portion being "out of the way" and pretty devoid of places people would typically be found in large numbers before getting turned in to zombies.
Epically
Explorer

I ended up going with Manhatten Island. I've been there before, and I know the area. I figured I didn't need that big of an area, when NYC has a population of 8 million, not to mention visiters, homeless and other, raising it to 12 million thereabouts.

Virtually impossible to go just a couple of blocks, so it's working out quite nicely.

Never actually started a campaign at the beginning of the outbreak, more fun than I thought. I'm letting the PCs name the different zombies that come up too, rather than the book names. Something a bit more fun.
oger333
Explorer

Unread post by oger333 »

thought . if there in nyc the could get sledgehammers bust from building to building , there all real close together or bridge from one building to another . just a thought ?
Epically
Explorer

That's what they've pretty much been doing? Sewer lines and building jumping.
azazel1024
Champion

They aren't all touching, so busting from building to building wouldn't work, unless you don't mind standing in an alley way for awhile. Most buildings aren't 3/4 plywood and 1/2" wallboard with siding over it like a house, let alone double 1/2" wallboard interior walls.

You are talking brick exteriors, possibly double course brick, some cinderblock on lower levels or poured concrete for some of them. Sure some are just "glass" for a lot of them.

Within a building a sledge hammer would work find. Breaking between buildings not so good unless you are just busting out some glass. I know from personal experience knocking a hole in a brick wall large enough that I could climb through (let alone a man size hole) with a 12lb sledge would probably take me at least 4-5 minutes for single course of brick with 3/4 plywood backing. That is potentially a long time to be standing around in an alley trying to knock a hole in a wall.
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

oger333 wrote:thought . if there in nyc the could get sledgehammers bust from building to building , there all real close together or bridge from one building to another . just a thought ?

If it would be set in Calgary, Alberta the city already has a 16 km/ 64 city block series of skyways, only Mumbai, India has a larger area of skyways. Sort of neat where you don't even need to build up the infrastructure, you just need to shore up any access points.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

Anthar wrote:
oger333 wrote:thought . if there in nyc the could get sledgehammers bust from building to building , there all real close together or bridge from one building to another . just a thought ?

If it would be set in Calgary, Alberta the city already has a 16 km/ 64 city block series of skyways, only Mumbai, India has a larger area of skyways. Sort of neat where you don't even need to build up the infrastructure, you just need to shore up any access points.

Very true. I live there (Calgary). You can get to any major point in the downtown core without going outside. Malls, a school, a library, police DP, fire DP, court house, city hall. It's great in winter.
oger333
Explorer

Unread post by oger333 »

another thought you could have a safe haven up is the building tops where the zombies cant see you , and on another note think of how much fun it could be to drop something heavy for 10 , 20 floors up on a stupid zombie . splat !!!!

Return to “Dead Reign™”