Sourcebook Two: Dark Places Nitpicks

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Sourcebook Two: Dark Places Nitpicks

Unread post by Ravenwing »

Ok, so I bought the two sourcebooks for DR, and have already listed my nitpicks with Sourcebook One, so now I'm going to launch into Sourcebook Two: Dark Places.

Unlike SB1, SB2 has a bit more usefulness to the average group. So I'm going to start with the good, then go into what I consider the bad.

1) There's only two Pictures by KB in the entire thing! A major plus in my mind, lol.

2) The section on the Sewers, and underground is probably my favorite part of the book, when combined with the Rail Way section it makes infiltrating a city a bit easier, and explains how Scroungers have been doing it. Depending on when you set your game(During the Wave and the Zombie Outbreak, after or as per the setting standard of months) will determine how useful these sections are to you. But regardless, they should be useful no matter what time period you set your game in. My group is already planning on setting up an underground camp to use as a safe haven while they get ready to bug outta town. Furthermore, I like the idea of underground adventures, and could see basing an entire campaign in the sewers, especially in large cities like New York, London, or even Paris. Hmmm....now we need some info on Subways, lol.

3) More info, and tricks of the trade for Zombie Bait, something I'd already used in my games, but which found to be an interesting take on the idea. this meshes well with, and was written to be added to the Bad/Crazy People section in SB1.

4) The New Impersonator Zombie, is a new type, and by that I mean more then just a variant on a sloucher or fast attacker. with the ability to talk, mimic voices and perform feats of ventriloquism, along with a healthy dose of tactical sense, you have a monster that should scare the pants of your PC's every time they meet another person. Now they have more to worry about then just Mock Zombies, and already I have devised a number of horrifying encounters using these new guys, I love them!

5) The Railway section: A nice discussion on the use of railway tracks to move about, along with random encounter tables, random discoveries, and other finds. I like this, as it does explain how scroungers move about, Shepherds of the Damned and even Reaper Scouts. It's nice, thought out and a fun read.

Now then on to the bad, and the Nitpicks.

1) The page count is still incredibly low. At 64 pages, once we remove the Reader Warning, the table of contents and such we have 60 pages of game/setting material. A few of those pages are full art, but I tend to think that pictures are worth a thousand words, so I don't discount those from the page count.

2) Although the book promises us four new types of Zombies, like SB1 most of these are just variants that we could have gotten away with a few paragraphs, and added to the existing types. Although! There is a bit of silver lining in this, another type mentioned and discussed in the book, the Blow Fish is more what the others should have been. a quick three paragraphs(if you include the description by Brad Ashley) telling us whats different about them then regular slouchers. I'd love to see this style used more often when they do these variants, because as it stands, the Sewer Crawler, Worm Meat, and Bug boy could have easily gone this route with just the bug tables, and we'd have freed some page count to put in more setting/NPC etc.

3) The Night time section. Ok really, do we need this in the book? We're told in the core book, both by Brad Ashley and by game stats that the undead see our life forces, and that at night, with no ambient light that our 'auras' burn brighter. Did we really need to waste the space( nearly four pages) on things we already have been told? This didn't add anything to the game, nor setting wise, we already knew this, so why bother putting it in there and reducing the page count which could have other more useful/New/Setting material? Maybe I'm being over critical, but it just seems to be more filler, which is something that both sourcebooks seemed to have used to reach their page count.

Also apart of the Night time section is a brief discussion on the consequences of running around a dark city with bright lights, followed by a random encounter table. Again, this is things that go hand in hand with the night time section already included in the main book. After all, did you think the Zombies don't notice the bright shining orb carried by the even brighter glowing orb? This is another section I think that could have been left on the cutting room floor without any undo stress, since it adds very little. the Random encounter table is nice, but then most GM's use either the one in the main book, or we've created our own tailored to the adventure/scenario/mission, so I don't know how much use this will be. I know some people will probably use it, and for that I don't begrudge the random encounter table being there, but I think that there'd be a better use for the already limited space in the book.

4) There's two pictures by Kent Burles in the thing......Ok, yes I listed that as a Positive, but it's also a negative to ;)

After reading SB2 I can't help but feel that these two books should have been merged into one book, that would have given a nice page count, as well as a nice overall flow in the information. Of course a little reorganizing would have been in order, but that to is ok.
Overall, SB2 was better then SB1, but both left me with a desire for something more. I can't wait however for SB3 to come out, and once it does I'll have to see how it goes. If the quality increases as it did from SB1 to SB2 then SB3 should be good!
Blunt like a Warhammer to the face!

Akashic Soldier is my hero!
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: Sourcebook Two: Dark Places Nitpicks

Unread post by jaymz »

There has been debates that these two books were meant to be one book and was split into two books to give palladium two smaller books that overall gets them more revenue. Whether that is true or not is a matter of opinion as no one in PB will likely confirm or deny it and the only person who knows for sure would be Kevin anyway.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Ravenwing
Hero

I won't say whether I think they were written as one book then separated to generate more sales, but I will say that they would have been better as a single book.

Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

Thing is that Dead Reign was changed by Kevin allot from it's original envisioning by The Joshes. Kevin said it himself that he just wasn't a zombie kind of guy. I think he just wanted to put his own stamp on it. This is why it's not written with the same verve and enthusiasm as his babies, Palladium fantasy, and Rifts. Personally I think he should have left the writing for the people who were enthusiastic about the setting.
Ravenwing
Hero

Oberoth wrote:Thing is that Dead Reign was changed by Kevin allot from it's original envisioning by The Joshes. Kevin said it himself that he just wasn't a zombie kind of guy. I think he just wanted to put his own stamp on it. This is why it's not written with the same verve and enthusiasm as his babies, Palladium fantasy, and Rifts. Personally I think he should have left the writing for the people who were enthusiastic about the setting.

Ummm..... not to sound argumentative, but the statement that KS isn't a Zombie Guy is completely false.
He mentions his love affair for Zombies, and Romero's work at the end of the DR core book. He mentions Romero's Work, and dedicates the book to him at the beginning, on the page that lists the cover, and dedications. Heck he drew a little Zombie guy, and signed my Dr book the 'Zombieda!'

Now as to the changes he made..... I agree that he changed things, but again thats simple to fix, just play by the Rifter rules.
Besides, of all the DR players that I know(And believe it or not there's a few in the area here) no one plays by either of the published settings. Such as myself, I don't allow any OCC but survivor, because I just don't like the OCC's in the game, and prefer the survivor OCC, it fits better to my idea of the Zombie Apocalypse. I also have a heavier influence of magic, witches, demons, and the Death Cults, not to mention ley lines.

But thats my game, another GM I know doesn't allow any OCC but the special ones, saying that the Survivor OCC is strictly an NPC class. <Shrugs> like KS says, it's your game now, unleash your imagination.

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Ravenwing wrote:Now as to the changes he made..... I agree that he changed things, but again thats simple to fix, just play by the Rifter rules.

Only problem is, according to the original author, if you were to combine the Rifter articles and all DR books you only get about 25% of what was originally written for Dead Reign so it is actually impossible to play the setting as it was meant to be.

Also, while Kevin may have done and said those things he has also on a few occasions stated he wasn't much of a Zombie guy.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

I won't argue about those other actions by KS. I'll take your word on it. But as Jaymz affirmed, KS has stated at least once that he never was a zombie genre person. Strait from the horses mouth on the 'Gateway to the megaverse' podcast.
Ravenwing
Hero

lol, I've never listened to the podcasts, but now that I think about it......

Perhaps this is why Dr products have been so slow in coming?

Ravenwing
Hero

I wonder if we'll ever get to see the setting as it was originally envisioned? Any notes floating around out there?

Illendaver
Explorer
Comment: If your happy and you know it clap your hands!
Location: Behind the throne, Whispering my comment into the emperors ear...

Unread post by Illendaver »

jaymz wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:Now as to the changes he made..... I agree that he changed things, but again thats simple to fix, just play by the Rifter rules.

Only problem is, according to the original author, if you were to combine the Rifter articles and all DR books you only get about 25% of what was originally written for Dead Reign so it is actually impossible to play the setting as it was meant to be.

Also, while Kevin may have done and said those things he has also on a few occasions stated he wasn't much of a Zombie guy.

One great big honking problem I have is that I don't get the Rifter. I don't know which issue the rules for DR came out in and I don't know if I can order it. I doubt that anybody feels like posting it up here, or is there a link to it that I don't know about?
*McRipper said so*
Me: So, what all happened last time we played?
Friend: We went back to my place and got ROFL stomped by zombies.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Illendaver wrote:
jaymz wrote:

One great big honking problem I have is that I don't get the Rifter. I don't know which issue the rules for DR came out in and I don't know if I can order it. I doubt that anybody feels like posting it up here, or is there a link to it that I don't know about?

To the rules of the issues the DR material is in? The Rifter Forum has an index thread that will tell which Rifters the DR Material is in.

\m/
krate
Explorer

Unread post by krate »

Thanks for the review.
Please visit my DeviantArt page http://krateworx.deviantart.com/
Ravenwing
Hero

krate wrote:Thanks for the review.

Dude! I checked out you page, lol, I love the 40k stuff!

But wheres the love for the Guard? I see Space Marines, Assassins, Adepts, and Inquisitors, but no Guardsman!

Valhallan 401st Armored Fist Regiment baby! Gotta love the longcoats and furry hats!

krate
Explorer

Unread post by krate »

Ravenwing wrote:

But wheres the love for the Guard? I see Space Marines, Assassins, Adepts, and Inquisitors, but no Guardsman!

Valhallan 401st Armored Fist Regiment baby! Gotta love the longcoats and furry hats!

I love the Guard. They are the everyman and the regiments can all look so differently depending on what world the regiment is raised in. Love that.
And thank you very much for the kind words and taking the time to check out my art. Thank you.

We now return to your regularly scheduled DR thread...
Ravenwing
Hero

krate wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:

I love the Guard. They are the everyman and the regiments can all look so differently depending on what world the regiment is raised in. Love that.
And thank you very much for the kind words and taking the time to check out my art. Thank you.

We now return to your regularly scheduled DR thread...

Back on semi-topic here. One of them looks like a death priest and his flock, have you considered turning anything into the rifter? Or just as a freelance artist for PB?

krate
Explorer

Unread post by krate »

Again, thank you.
I did some work for the Rifter 0.1 volunteer project. So, I do have some pieces there. It was fun working on a fan project with a bunch of of cool PB fans. There was even a DR article with new zombie types in the Rifter 0.1.
Suicycho
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Suicycho »

I had the same problem with the entire game. If you really look at the stats & natural abilities of most zombies, they are exactly the same. Page after page of reprinted material. L
Suicycho-the only Sound Off poster to get a thread locked for flaming himself.

"And that's why I call you Cracker you cracker." -Daniel Stoker

"IM perfectly willing to accept whatever Suicycho say's as GOd GIven Truth." -Sir Spirit
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

I don't normally talk too much about dead reign largely because I got it for an idea book more than a setting book, much like Ninja's and Super Spies. However, I'll agree that the weakest part of the setting is the zombies themselves. Though I think in my case I have problems with zombies that don't make anatomical sense, such as heads with spines that can somehow slither like a snake. :lol:
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
Ravenwing
Hero

Colt47 wrote:I don't normally talk too much about dead reign largely because I got it for an idea book more than a setting book, much like Ninja's and Super Spies. However, I'll agree that the weakest part of the setting is the zombies themselves. Though I think in my case I have problems with zombies that don't make anatomical sense, such as heads with spines that can somehow slither like a snake. :lol:

Lol, I have less problems with the snake slithering spinal zombie idea than the ideal that zombies, being decaying corpses some how develop bones capable of resisting .50 Cal BMG rounds, or any bullet/weapon.

Suicycho
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Suicycho »

Ravenwing wrote:
Colt47 wrote:I don't normally talk too much about dead reign largely because I got it for an idea book more than a setting book, much like Ninja's and Super Spies. However, I'll agree that the weakest part of the setting is the zombies themselves. Though I think in my case I have problems with zombies that don't make anatomical sense, such as heads with spines that can somehow slither like a snake. :lol:

Lol, I have less problems with the snake slithering spinal zombie idea than the ideal that zombies, being decaying corpses some how develop bones capable of resisting .50 Cal BMG rounds, or any bullet/weapon.

I completely ignore the AR rule for zombies. A shotgun blast to the leg may not kill a zombie, but it will damn sure blow it off.

AR for zombies is absolutely ridiculous.
Suicycho-the only Sound Off poster to get a thread locked for flaming himself.

"And that's why I call you Cracker you cracker." -Daniel Stoker

"IM perfectly willing to accept whatever Suicycho say's as GOd GIven Truth." -Sir Spirit
Colt47
Champion

Unread post by Colt47 »

Suicycho wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:

I completely ignore the AR rule for zombies. A shotgun blast to the leg may not kill a zombie, but it will damn sure blow it off.

Wait, zombies are bullet proof? Sweet mercy, this truly is the end time. :shock:

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Ravenwing
Hero

Colt47 wrote:
Suicycho wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:

Wait, zombies are bullet proof? Sweet mercy, this truly is the end time. :shock:

In DR Zeds have a natural AR of 14, sometimes higher depending on the type. And no, armor piercing, explosive rounds have no effect on this AR, although increased damage applies. Although to be completely anal and technical about it, a Zed is not bullet proof, its just that unless you role an 15 or better your attack(Either bullet, sword, axe or hammer) is ignored, and does no damage.

However what this means is as per the books..........

Zeds are more heavily armored then a medium Armored car, or IFV, which means they can resist a .50BMG AP round with no difficulty. and while a .50 BMG mercury round would inflict buttloads of damage, unless the roll was over 14 that buttload of damage has no effect, and the zombie keeps on coming.

Hence I think that most people ignore the Zombie AR, or modify it extensively.

Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Huh! What? There was homework???

Unread post by Trooper Jim »

Yea, the Zed's AR rating is stupid. I tend to just ignore it. But then I also use the "zombie virus" idea. So you become a Zed if you get bit.
Ravenwing
Hero

Trooper Jim wrote:Yea, the Zed's AR rating is stupid. I tend to just ignore it. But then I also use the "zombie virus" idea. So you become a Zed if you get bit.

Personally I drop the AR to 10. I like the idea of it, but in principle it doesn't always work.

I also ignore the Zombie's PE (They're undead) because in my mind they shouldn't have one. I also ignore Hit points( Again undead shouldn't have hit points IE life points.) I also ignore the Head shot rules, using the standard ones for called shots.

so far in all my games a Zed with an AR 10 (AR 12 for big Zombies, like Juggies) no HP, and just straight SDC things work out marvelous. Yes the zombies are easier to kill. But Zombies aren't suppose to be hard to kill. they're suppose to be a swarm that gets you. It might take them hundreds of Zeds to bring you down, but they have millions to do it with.

And I so use a Z-virus effect as well.

Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler

Ravenwing wrote:
Trooper Jim wrote:Yea, the Zed's AR rating is stupid. I tend to just ignore it. But then I also use the "zombie virus" idea. So you become a Zed if you get bit.

Personally I drop the AR to 10. I like the idea of it, but in principle it doesn't always work.

I also ignore the Zombie's PE (They're undead) because in my mind they shouldn't have one. I also ignore Hit points( Again undead shouldn't have hit points IE life points.) I also ignore the Head shot rules, using the standard ones for called shots.

so far in all my games a Zed with an AR 10 (AR 12 for big Zombies, like Juggies) no HP, and just straight SDC things work out marvelous. Yes the zombies are easier to kill. But Zombies aren't suppose to be hard to kill. they're suppose to be a swarm that gets you. It might take them hundreds of Zeds to bring you down, but they have millions to do it with.

I like that I may implement that, good idea!
Ravenwing
Hero

Trooper Jim wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:

I like that I may implement that, good idea!

Also when one thinks about it, zombies never stop, never sleep, never rest, they only purpose is to hunt and kill. a creature like that doesn't need a PE score, as it's pretty pointless in having one. If you never get tired, sick, need rest etc, why have a PE at all? Better to just rule it's immune to effects requiring a PE and is damaged like an object.

Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler

My Zeds never have had PPE. And the whole PPE vampire aspect of the DR zombies, is dumb.
Colt47
Champion

Unread post by Colt47 »

Trooper Jim wrote:My Zeds never have had PPE. And the whole PPE vampire aspect of the DR zombies, is dumb.

No kidding. I don't mind a bit of creativity here, but zombies just want to eat other people, period. Well, eat people in general or just eat their brain and be all sportsman like leaving the corpse otherwise intact.

Fun song that never gets old http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v04H7_fFC90&feature=related

azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

One of things I played around with in my games was as mentioned, treating them like objects with just SDC and no Hit Points. We left the AR the way it was, because frankly it is pretty hard to do the kind of damage needed to disable a meat sack. The head had a regular AR of 5, but of course was hard to hit (called shot to the head penalties). If you toasted the main body SDC it just meant that the zombie was incapacitated...but don't get too close to the head/face as it can still bite and is undead, instead of just being dead.

None of this PPE healing or junk.

We did stay with the zombie conversion rules though. Zombie has to actually kill you to turn. Considering all zombies want to do is nom your brains, even if they beat you to death, they are going to starting knawing on your right quick, which is what will enable the person to turn. Alternately if you do get bitten, you don't immediately turn unless you die before the bite/infection heals up (and the standard table on if the bite gets infected/goes bad).

Return to “Dead Reign™”