running Dead reign have question pls replay

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Re: running Dead reign have question pls replay

Unread post by Oberoth »

Hmm... This isn't a new idea but I don't know of anyone trying it in game. I think it would draw a crowd of them but they need to have prey in sight to moan. It would be a good distraction to allow the PC's in or out of a place if the recording was timed or activated via wire or wireless radio. Something in the order of a dozen minutes or more probably, until the crowd realized there was no prey around. Would also depend on how loud it was. If your in a convenience store and some Zed's have wandered near your exit, it would be nice to have a moan timed a couple blocks away so you could get out.
Neo
Explorer
Comment: God I feel old.

Unread post by Neo »

I would say as long as the batteries last, the zombies converge on the moan itself, even if its one moan as long as the sound is running they should stick around. The same would be if you recorded someone yelling or had a contraption rigged to bang on a door. Now a thinker could easily draw the hoard away or smash the thing making the sound.
What the Bloody Hell are you freaks all talking about
-- Rayven

The line I was referring to was the "If I step over this line I officially become so stupid that I no longer have a right to live" line
-- Shaded Helios

mmmm, time to make the chocolate chili. Yup! I prefected it
-- Sara The TG
Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

Those pesky thinkers...
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Cambull wrote:One of my players want to record a zombie moan.....

Q: will a recording of a moan cause more zombies to moan and converge to the spot of the recording ?

if so

Q.2: how long will they look ? :?
While the zombies themselves are of course supernatural, their moan isn't described as anything but a normal, physics-based sound source and as such, should work just as well as the real thing (provided the moans in question are recorded with high enough sound quality)in every way.

To answer Q2, I would say (house rule?) that these moans would work for the same duration that a real moan would.

BUT HERE'S THE THING TO CONSIDER FROM A GAMEPLAY POINT OF VIEW:

Allowing every Tom, Dick, and Harry to just saunter into any city they want, armed with a few moan recordings to herd the Zeds everywhere they want, could and probably would ruin the atmosphere of the game.
I could also completely side with your GM if (s)he ruled that the moan is supernatural in nature, and therefore can't be duplicated electronically even though it would sound the same to anyone listening.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

What sort of game are you running? Pure strategic? Or horror?

The more towards horror, the more that some rational method of dealing with the horror just wont work. That's why it's horror, not hope.
My WIP browser game : Come see how it's evolving!
Philosopher Gamer: Thought provoking blog!
Driftwurld: My web comic!
Relkor: "I believe the GM ruled that they did vomit..."
Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

cornholioprime wrote:
Cambull wrote:One of my players want to record a zombie moan.....

Q: will a recording of a moan cause more zombies to moan and converge to the spot of the recording ?

if so

Q.2: how long will they look ? :?
While the zombies themselves are of course supernatural, their moan isn't described as anything but a normal, physics-based sound source and as such, should work just as well as the real thing (provided the moans in question are recorded with high enough sound quality)in every way.

To answer Q2, I would say (house rule?) that these moans would work for the same duration that a real moan would.

BUT HERE'S THE THING TO CONSIDER FROM A GAMEPLAY POINT OF VIEW:

Allowing every Tom, Dick, and Harry to just saunter into any city they want, armed with a few moan recordings to herd the Zeds everywhere they want, could and probably would ruin the atmosphere of the game.
I could also completely side with your GM if (s)he ruled that the moan is supernatural in nature, and therefore can't be duplicated electronically even though it would sound the same to anyone listening.

If the moan is supernatural, obviously the sound alone would draw them to investigate anyway. Perhaps sounding more like a human moan to them, rather than a zombie moan. All you really need to draw zombies in somewhere would be some suitably human sounding noises recorded and played back at the right volume. Music, voices etc...

So yes, every Tom and Dick could just saunter into any city they want, armed with a few moan/human recordings and herd Zed anywhere they want; as long as there are no specials or death priests to stop them.
Fat chances of that happening.

Still a difficult thing to do under the circumstances.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Oberoth wrote:If the moan is supernatural, obviously the sound alone would draw them to investigate anyway. Perhaps sounding more like a human moan to them, rather than a zombie moan. All you really need to draw zombies in somewhere would be some suitably human sounding noises recorded and played back at the right volume. Music, voices etc...

So yes, every Tom and Dick could just saunter into any city they want, armed with a few moan/human recordings and herd Zed anywhere they want; as long as there are no specials or death priests to stop them.
Fat chances of that happening.

Still a difficult thing to do under the circumstances.
Remember that noise wakes them up....MAYBE.... and sends them forth to investigate.....MAYBE....but The Moan sends them in with the definite expectation of a meal, guns a-blazin.'

That's why I wouldn't mind if a GM ruled The Moan to be supernatural and therefore unable to be duplicated.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Cambull wrote:TY very much for you input it helps a lot :) ty for you posts

Reward your players. People might think its a big cheap but I think it is a great idea and should be rewarded. Obviously they will go to the moan until they find the source of the soul and eventually try eating or smashing it when they try to get into the device making the noise where the food is. Just make sure the players have to get good and close to record a moan for it to work. None of that huddling across the street crap. It needs to be up close and personal for it to be effective.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
bradshaw
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Gin and Tonic

Unread post by bradshaw »

It should work. Perhaps long term exposure to this Recording has an ill-effect upon the the listener? Madness? The Euphio Question? hmmmm?
Dames, Droids, Drinking and Damnnation
Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

cornholioprime wrote:Remember that noise wakes them up....MAYBE.... and sends them forth to investigate.....MAYBE....but The Moan sends them in with the definite expectation of a meal, guns a-blazin.'

That's why I wouldn't mind if a GM ruled The Moan to be supernatural and therefore unable to be duplicated.

Not maybe Cornho. Yes sound WILL wake them up, and yes ANY sound WILL send them to investigate. There is no grey area here.

From pg. 35 of the DR main book.

A walking dead that hears noise will investigate, and all zombies recognize the sound of human voices.

Furthermore, it never states that the moan is supernatural. However it does hint that the moan is special (Note: does not say that it cannot be replicated). All it says is that zombies are "especially attuned" to the moan and can triangulate it's point of origin and distance within 30 seconds.

So would a recording of a single moan cause a convergence? I would say no. But it would send any zombie within earshot to investigate it's source (witch is a convergence of sorts too). A recording of a GROUP of moans may work because during a convergence when the zombie has seen prey it will moan, so any zombie in sight will be moaning too, adding to the intensity of the group moan and therefore the convergence.

Return to “Dead Reign™”