Do you enjoy zombie fiction?

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Suicycho
Dungeon Crawler

Do you enjoy zombie fiction?

Unread post by Suicycho »

Obviously, we enjoy zombies or we wouldn't be posting about DR.

But do you enjoy zombie fiction? Do you buy or collect zombie novels?
Suicycho-the only Sound Off poster to get a thread locked for flaming himself.

"And that's why I call you Cracker you cracker." -Daniel Stoker

"IM perfectly willing to accept whatever Suicycho say's as GOd GIven Truth." -Sir Spirit
krispy
Hero
Comment: Luck favors the prepared

Re: Do you enjoy zombie fiction?

Unread post by krispy »

I dont have any novels on Zeds but that sounds interesting and something different from what i normally read. any suggestions?

i do have in my dvd collection:

all Resident Evil movies including the anima (T & G virus), Quarantine (modified rabies virus), 28 days & 28 weeks Later (rage virus), Dawn of the Dead (biblical), Return of the Living Dead (toxic spill), Dead Space (alien influence), Zombieland (human mad cow), Shaun of the Dead, Land of the Dead. i know i have a few more to get
connecting the dots
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Honestly I don't have any zombie fiction. I am borrowing World War Z from my brother-in-law at some point in the next couple of weeks though. Lots of zombie TV/movies though.
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

I have 7 volumes of the walking dead...
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

I have the zombie survival guide that I bring to DR games that I run. I also have WWZ, but I'm going to be selling it used. Not that it was a bad book, it just doesn't have any re-read value to me.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

i just ordered Zombie Surivival Guide by Max Brooks and waiting for delivery

next will be World War Z

then 'You Might Be a Zombie and Other Bad News' by cracked.com & possibly 'the Zombie Autopsies'
connecting the dots
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Unread post by Beatmeclever »

Just bought and started to read "Star Wars Death Troopers." It seems pretty good so far.
"The impossibility of the world lies in the fact that it has no equivalent anywhere;it cannot be exchanged for anything. The uncertainty of thought lies in the fact that it cannot be exchanged either for truth or for reality. Is it thought which tips the world over into uncertainty, or the other way around? This in itself is part of the uncertainty." - J. Baudrillard
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

Beatmeclever wrote:Just bought and started to read "Star Wars Death Troopers." It seems pretty good so far.

i just read the plot :-) . its going on the book list
connecting the dots
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

Somewhat depends on the mood at the time I guess and don't have alot of reading time anymore but do alot of audio books now have read or listened to:
Day by day armageddon series -first two books only didn't stay with it after the second book, it going sci-fi turned me off to it for some reason.
As the world dies
The walking dead
The morning star series -incomplete as author died writing last book but have heard the family got somebody else to finish it.
Death Troopers
WW Z
Tooth and nail
Rot and ruin
The zombie chronicles but never really got that much into it.
The living dead 1 and 2 compilations.
The rising but never got into it enough to read the sequel City of dead.

My brother sent me this one but I have yet to read it, while it's not exactly a zombie book.
Well here's a link to it.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

Let's see...

The Morningstar Saga (damn good, can't wait for the next book)
Tooth And Nail
World War Z
Zombie Survival Guide
The Walking Dead (graphic novels ad dvd)
They can't see me...Right!?
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Warriors of the Megaverse Unite !

Unread post by Princedarkstorm »

Yes and I love Zombie manga . Especially High School of the Dead . :D
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

Monster Hunter Vendetta.

The hero of the story has angered a bunch of Old one worshiping cultists and he has to stop a Necromancer from distroying the world.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

krispy wrote:I dont have any novels on Zeds but that sounds interesting and something different from what i normally read. any suggestions?

i do have in my dvd collection:

all Resident Evil movies including the anima (T & G virus), Quarantine (modified rabies virus), 28 days & 28 weeks Later (rage virus), Dawn of the Dead (biblical), Return of the Living Dead (toxic spill), Dead Space (alien influence), Zombieland (human mad cow), Shaun of the Dead, Land of the Dead. i know i have a few more to get
Don't just get the (animated) movie (soon to be a live-action film, by the way), go play the game if you have the console.

Man oh man do they get the concept of "story atmosphere" right!
(Especially if you play the 2nd one on the hardest difficulty -you can only save THREE times in the entire game, and no checkpoints -it REALLY makes you feel like you're trying to survive!)
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

Maybe World War Z ? or if you can find the Walking Dead if you like black and white comics or even High School of the Dead .Or Pride and Preduice and Zombies [sorry for porr spelling today . New eyedrops :o
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

Pride and Prejudiced and Zombies is my new book. Its a nice read I especially like chapter 38.
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

Good novel . i am hoping the season two of Walking Dead arrives soon GRIN
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

I own some zombie movies (pretty much the same as the ones already listed), as for books, my wife has gotten them for me as presents (Christmas/birthday because she knows I like that kind of stuff) I have World War Z, I have a cool choose your own adventure book (not for kids) about surviving a zombie outbreak. Can't remember the title right now and I 'm at work, and another book I can't remember the title of but its a journal that was found and its written by a doctor who studied zombies (habits, rate of decay), it had pictures in it and sketches. It was short but cool. My wife just bought me Apocalypse of the Dead by Joe McKinney without realizing it was a sequel so I haven't read it yet, she is going to grab Dead City (Joe McKinney) next time she heads to the mall.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

I've got a pretty big collection of Zombie fiction and movies both. *nods*

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

Anyone see the DEADLIEST WARRIOR Zombie vs Vampire ?
batlchip
Hero
Comment: Even the great thinkers and writers in history messed up sometimes.

Unread post by batlchip »

Princedarkstorm wrote:Anyone see the DEADLIEST WARRIOR Zombie vs Vampire ?

Yes. It was good and not to surprising to who would win.
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hey there,

it has already been mentioned: World War Z ... awesome book ... but check out the audiobook version. It is even better than the written version already is. Oral history is best when told not read!

Cheers
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

I think so . Waiting the movie version of it
Razzinold
Hero

Well I can now add Flesh Eaters by Joe McKinney to my collection. It was a good read, sort of a prequel to Dead City, the events that took place in Dead City (in San Antonio) happen because of a flood that happened in Houston. Flesh Eaters describe the events of the flood in Houston that started everything, but during the book they mention the outbreak in San Antonio (Dead City) and I thought that was cool. It's a good light read.
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Save me, Barry!

Unread post by Senator Cybus »

Has anyone else seen Dead Set? It's a British t.v. mini-series (so non-Brits may not have heard of it), detailing a zombie invasion as seen from the perspective of the contestants and producers of the reality show Big Brother. Pretty damn cool: at times hilarious, gory, poignant and bleak as hell.

Another piece of Brit zombie fiction that I haven't gotten around to watching yet is Colin - a film told from the perspective of one of the zombies, the eponymous Colin. Supposedly it had a budget of fifty pounds (!). Think I'll watch it this weekend; I'll report back if it's any good.
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

I just finished Boneshaker by Cherie Priest a few days ago. Its a steampunk book set in Seattle (1887) and does have Zombies in it. A good read and one I recommend. :ok:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Razzinold
Hero

Senator Cybus wrote:Has anyone else seen Dead Set? It's a British t.v. mini-series (so non-Brits may not have heard of it), detailing a zombie invasion as seen from the perspective of the contestants and producers of the reality show Big Brother. Pretty damn cool: at times hilarious, gory, poignant and bleak as hell.

Another piece of Brit zombie fiction that I haven't gotten around to watching yet is Colin - a film told from the perspective of one of the zombies, the eponymous Colin. Supposedly it had a budget of fifty pounds (!). Think I'll watch it this weekend; I'll report back if it's any good.

Colin sounds like this movie my wife and I just watched called Ahhh! Zombies!! It's told from the zombie point of view. Whenever people see the zombies the film is in black and white, but when they are hanging out and talking the movie is in colour. Very odd movie, neat idea, IMO poorly executed.
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Save me, Barry!

Unread post by Senator Cybus »

Razzinold wrote:Colin sounds like this movie my wife and I just watched called Ahhh! Zombies!! It's told from the zombie point of view. Whenever people see the zombies the film is in black and white, but when they are hanging out and talking the movie is in colour. Very odd movie, neat idea, IMO poorly executed.

I just checked Wikipedia, in case it was the same film, but released under a different name overseas: turns out it's not, and apparently I was wrong about the budget - it only cost 45 pounds! :shock:

Oh, and I forgot about one of my favourite zombie flicks, Braindead (released as Dead Alive in North America). Directed by Peter Jackson and widely regarded as one of the goriest films of all time. How he got the Lord of the Rings gig after this, I don't know. :-)
Razzinold
Hero

Just finished reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I never knew Jane Austen was such a talented horror writer, she could King, Koontz, etc a run for their money! :D

Now I'm 52 pages into The Walking Dead:Rise of the Governor by Robert Kirkman and Jay Bonansinga.

Return to “Dead Reign™”