You got yourself here a zombie infestation

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

krispy
Hero
Comment: Luck favors the prepared

You got yourself here a zombie infestation

Unread post by krispy »

Hello everyone. This is my first post on this board (been living on Splicers). Just thought I’d throw some ideas into the mix for this cool game

If certain concepts have been discussed or someone has posted something similar already, my apologies and simply disregard my input

And also just to cover base - I have all the Dead Reign material but I haven’t read it all in a while and forgive me for my domestic blindness (man look) if it has been covered in the original material

Q – Has anyone discussed the use of high pressure hoses like the ones they use on Riot Control Vehicles or Fire Trucks??

Q – Has the topic of strong acids or bases been discussed??

Idea: I don’t know what it’s like in other countries but in Australia to cut the grass some local councils use tractors with a large attachment on the back which basically turns them into giant ride on lawn mowers. With a few modifications, I thought this would be a great way to make zombie fertilizer.

Idea: those big garbage trucks that have the forks on the front to pick up those large bin hoppers. I imagined someone modifying the forks and putting a big scoop on the front so the truck can drive through a hoard of zombies and dump them into the back where they get crushed…zombie juice anyone?
connecting the dots
King Newt
Wanderer

Re: You got yourself here a zombie infestation

Unread post by King Newt »

I like your ideas. They would be very good at the start of the zombie apocalypse. The biggest problem is a few days to weeks after the water pressure would be none existent due to all the utilities going down. I know you could use a fire truck, but getting through all the abandoned vehicles is tricky enough, i'd hate to try it in a fire truck.

Acid is a good idea, but in small towns like mine where there isn't anyway to acquire any, unless you go to a big factory that uses it. Since the fall happened during the day, I wouldn't want to fight that many zombies to get to it. You could make the acids, but knowledge is everyone worst enemy here. I don't personally know how to make acids. You could find it on the internet, but if you got the idea late then the internet isn't there anymore.

The lawn mower deal is good, but I would want to have a vehicle that is armored quite a bit. Your typical mower isn't we'll defended. The biggest problem I see with the mowing is that mowers get blocked up to easy with grass. Especially when it's wet grass. I can't even imagine how bad it would be with bloody skin, intestines and even hair. I hit a rabbit once with my home riding mower and we were cleaning that mower for days after that. There would have to be a lot of improvements to the mower to get it done.
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

thanks mate

i know im a bit behind on the topics discussed on the board...ill try to catch up

when it came to the high pressure hoses i imagined the ones used by fire trucks and riot control vehicles where the vehicle has its own water storage (couple thousand gallons) and a strong pump system so it wasnt dependant on the mains.

i understand your point regarding getting a fire truck around with the traffic issue

i had considered you would have to do some modifications to a tractor to provide some level of protection to the driver and any other passenger. i had imagined the mower attachment with the protective casing removed and raised to about waist level. but your right, plowing through few Z at a time might put a bit of strain on it and potentially clog it up

what does the board think of the garbage truck?? it could drive right through a hoard of Zs collecting a considerable amount in the scoop then dump them into the back section where the hydraulic press would make easy work of them
Last edited by krispy on Fri May 06, 2011 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
connecting the dots
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

Koshindan wrote:I haven't anything from Dead Reign, but some zombie materials suggest that acids don't really have much affect on zombies, except maybe in large amount.

Reminds me of a dream I had about a zombie apocalypse I had. The zombies in that dream were shamblers with a weakness to holy items and charms. They usually run away in sight of them except in numbers, and 'melt' when they come in contact with one. One of the coolest parts of any dream I've had was when I took out a bag of sweethearts and spread them on the floor. The zombie that walked over them melted as it went across.

The weakness might seem a little easy to exploit, but we really needed it in that dream. When a zombie killed or was killed, a few were teleported in from the surrounding area. After seeing that we decided to call them Fliblitzbane zombies, and everyone agreed that it made a lot of sense. Unfortunately, the reason why calling them that made sense didn't stick with me after I woke up.

your right about the amount. small quantities wouldnt do much or would take too long to effect the Z which defeats the purpose. strong acids or bases in large amounts would liquefy any Z but King Newt is correct, it comes down to access to the chemicals or the resources and knowhow to make it
connecting the dots
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

For some acids you may want to raid a pool supply store (in every strip center in Florida), or wal mart.
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

asajosh wrote:For some acids you may want to raid a pool supply store (in every strip center in Florida), or wal mart.

not bad mate. you could probably find some good stuff at a mechanics workshop or mining site. Industrial sites should provide a myriad of chemicals

Q for the board: has anyone thought of using live bait (in the form of a psychopath or raider) as a diversionary tactic?. for some of the larger scale missions to get supplies. these individuals have decided to prey on their fellow humankind.

put them in individual cages and drop 1, 2 or more of them where the Zs can easily see them (but not get to them in the cage) and you go on your merry way
connecting the dots
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

Revan wrote:That last question was covered in one of the DR source book. Society Gone

thanks mate, will do a re-read
connecting the dots
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

krispy wrote:Q for the board: has anyone thought of using live bait

Of COURSE thats what I carry the sack of cats around for... zombie bait.. ya (shuffles feet).. bait...
:clown:
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

Revan wrote:Amendment: Book is called Civilization Gone , my apologies but there is a section on baiting

its all good mate, i figured thats what you meant
connecting the dots
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

asajosh wrote:
krispy wrote:Q for the board: has anyone thought of using live bait

Of COURSE thats what I carry the sack of cats around for... zombie bait.. ya (shuffles feet).. bait...
:clown:

:lol: im getting the strangest sense of crazy cat lady from Simpsons
connecting the dots
Illendaver
Explorer
Comment: If your happy and you know it clap your hands!
Location: Behind the throne, Whispering my comment into the emperors ear...

Unread post by Illendaver »

What about big planes? Like, Boeing 747's.... Would that work in a campaign? I had a dream a while back where we used one as a mobile fortress... For some reason, the infection didn't quite go off EVERYWHERE at once, All the big cities were infected, but the countryside was slow to have zombie problems, they had to shuffle out of the cities. We were on a plane going to Denver when everything went screwy, we landed in absolute chaos, but there was a few techs who hurried up and refueled us, we let out everybody who wanted out, grabbed some guns off of dead airport security, and loaded up the techs and took off again. We made radio contact with a few people on the ground, but it was pretty crazy. We landed again in Utah and raided a grocery store, then when we got back the plane had been overrun and the pilot was dead. Not the best dream I have ever had, let me tell you.
*McRipper said so*
Me: So, what all happened last time we played?
Friend: We went back to my place and got ROFL stomped by zombies.
Illendaver
Explorer
Comment: If your happy and you know it clap your hands!
Location: Behind the throne, Whispering my comment into the emperors ear...

Unread post by Illendaver »

krispy wrote:Idea: I don’t know what it’s like in other countries but in Australia to cut the grass some local councils use tractors with a large attachment on the back which basically turns them into giant ride on lawn mowers. With a few modifications, I thought this would be a great way to make zombie fertilizer.

Growing up on a farm in Nebraska, I can tell you that this would work, but not very well. The problem is that the Mower is in the back of the cab where you are sitting, giving Z a chance to climb up the little ladder to get to you, or at least hang off the front untill they get over the engine. Most likely, you are better off using a combine or bulldozer if you can find one. Plus King Newt is part way right, The mower blades on a tractor are bigger than the regular mowers, but not that much bigger. It doesn't have problem with rabbits tho :oops: Most of the tractor mower attachments are just a bunch more of roughly the same sized blades as used on push mowers.
I seem to recall a documentary of the situation in Kuwait after Desert Storm... They put out a lot of landmines and they had this special APC that had a giant metal wheel in front of it that had a bunch of chains hooked on. They drove it around and the wheel kept the chains whirling in front of it to hit the landmines and make them go kaboom without anybody being hurt. I wonder how that would turn out in a Z outbreak....
*McRipper said so*
Me: So, what all happened last time we played?
Friend: We went back to my place and got ROFL stomped by zombies.
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

Illendaver wrote:What about big planes? Like, Boeing 747's.... Would that work in a campaign? I had a dream a while back where we used one as a mobile fortress... For some reason, the infection didn't quite go off EVERYWHERE at once, All the big cities were infected, but the countryside was slow to have zombie problems, they had to shuffle out of the cities. We were on a plane going to Denver when everything went screwy, we landed in absolute chaos, but there was a few techs who hurried up and refueled us, we let out everybody who wanted out, grabbed some guns off of dead airport security, and loaded up the techs and took off again. We made radio contact with a few people on the ground, but it was pretty crazy. We landed again in Utah and raided a grocery store, then when we got back the plane had been overrun and the pilot was dead. Not the best dream I have ever had, let me tell you.

the Sky would be the safest place and i could see that as a great way to start the game.

it would give you great story plots covering issues of refueling, maintenance, what airports to stop at or potential major highways
the health & safety of the pilot (as you mentioned) & aquiring the services of more than one pilot to keep it airborne
connecting the dots
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

Illendaver wrote:Growing up on a farm in Nebraska, I can tell you that this would work, but not very well. The problem is that the Mower is in the back of the cab where you are sitting, giving Z a chance to climb up the little ladder to get to you, or at least hang off the front untill they get over the engine. Most likely, you are better off using a combine or bulldozer if you can find one. Plus King Newt is part way right, The mower blades on a tractor are bigger than the regular mowers, but not that much bigger. It doesn't have problem with rabbits tho :oops: Most of the tractor mower attachments are just a bunch more of roughly the same sized blades as used on push mowers.
I seem to recall a documentary of the situation in Kuwait after Desert Storm... They put out a lot of landmines and they had this special APC that had a giant metal wheel in front of it that had a bunch of chains hooked on. They drove it around and the wheel kept the chains whirling in front of it to hit the landmines and make them go kaboom without anybody being hurt. I wonder how that would turn out in a Z outbreak....

thanks mate. i didnt know much about them, iv just seen the attachments on the tractors and wondered how well it would work....now that bulldozer idea, not a bad idea. ive driven past my fair share of roadworks & the numerous types of machinery they use... and the imagination begins
connecting the dots
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

Forget the farm mowers not robust enough.
Get the first and last words in zombie removal.
Mine flail.
When you absolutely positively need to mow down every Mutha F'n zombie in the street.
My personal favorite flail is the Aardvark JSFU.

You could make adhoc flails using a forest mower and a municipal landfill compactor.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

Gamer wrote:Forget the farm mowers not robust enough.
Get the first and last words in zombie removal.
Mine flail.
When you absolutely positively need to mow down every Mutha F'n zombie in the street.
My personal favorite flail is the Aardvark JSFU.

You could make adhoc flails using a forest mower and a municipal landfill compactor.

i like the way you think...ill order 3 please
connecting the dots

Return to “Dead Reign™”