W.P. Paired Weapons

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: W.P. Paired Weapons

Unread post by jaymz »

Rhomphaia wrote:According to the base rules, WP Paired weapons is only for melee weapons and if you take it as a WP skill, it only applies to a specific weapon combination (two swords, sword and mace, axe and sword, etc). The paired weapons option that comes with hand to hand skills (usually around 7th level) allows you to use any combination of melee weapons as paired weapons.

There is a sharpshooter skill (the two sources I can think of are Rifts CB1 and HU2e) that does allow you to use two handguns in either hand. I personally would not find a problem with a character taking this skill in a DR setting as long as it fit the character. Even if your GM does not allow you to take this skill, there are advantages to using two handguns at the same time.

While you can only fire one at a time, you essentially have double payload for a short time, increasing the time you have to shoot before needing to reload. Now this does come at a cost of needing to take twice as long to reload both guns.

Also, you could use two different sorts of guns (say a heavy hitting .45 and longer ranger 9mm) to cover two different jobs. Use the 9mm to pick off targets at a longer range and any that get through get the .45. The disadvantage is that you have to carry two different kinds of ammo.

The way I read the WP skill of Paired weapons is tht it isn't restrsictive to only a specific pair or for that matter melee weapons. The HTH ability however I would say is only for melee. This is somethingin need of clear adjudication though.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Actually reloading is more than twice as long if using two weapons. You either have a much more akward time reloading while still holding two guns, or else you need to holster or put one down to reload the first and repeat for the second.

From some limited experience I'd say triple the reload time unless you want to simply drop the 2nd gun.

Also accuracy is going to suck. Maybe I just have little experience at it, but I am much less accurate with my off hand, combined with having to switch my focus on what I am targeting with each hand, even the same target is a bit more difficult. Accuracy is going to suck a lot more, even with your dominant hand.

I have and do use paired melee weapons (katana and tanto or long sword and horseman axe as well as hanbo). I am prety good at it in comparison to pistols. No way I'd attempt anything like paired rifles or semi-autoshotguns.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Rhomphaia wrote:
jaymz wrote:

The way I read the WP skill of Paired weapons is tht it isn't restrsictive to only a specific pair or for that matter melee weapons. The HTH ability however I would say is only for melee. This is somethingin need of clear adjudication though.

I can't remember what book it was in, but I remember that being explicitly stated (PFRPG 2e I think, but not sure). I would hold it as a rule since what would be the point of having to wait until 7th level to have it with a HtH skill when you can just get unrestricted PW right away?

Because teh difference in a modern RPG (as in not fantasy that really only has Melee weapons) the Paired Weapons WP would allow you to use a sword and a knife whereas the paired weapons ability received thru leveling in hth would only allow you to use melee weapons. At least that is how the WP read to me in RUE and Dead Reign is an RUE era set of rules as evidenced by its modern combat section.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

clobx3 wrote:Hi.. an friend help me and i found in RUE pag 327 ... "Paried weapons is designed for melee weapons like knifes, swords, clubs, etc. not guns. When shotting two guns at once there is a penalty of -2 to strike with the regular hand and -6 to strike with the off-hand"...

now... i get other question...if i shoot at once i got that penalty (high penalty with the off-hand), right...

But if i shoot alternated... what penalty is aplicable to the off-hand?

I would imagine it would depend on if your GM is anal enough to make you decide what hand is your dominant hand and whether or not he wants to apply a penalty to you if you are only shooting one gun at a time and not dual blasting.

\m/
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

AS far as I know there is no rule for normal off hand use.....you'd have to house rule it.

\m/
azazel1024
Champion

I'd use the same penalty for alternating.
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

For cinematic purposes I don't see why a character can double fist a pair of pistols (or two SMG's if their strong enough). But in real life it isn't really that feasible to fire two weapons at once. azazel1024 kinda touched on this last point.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
azazel1024
Champion

Oh yeah, I should mention there have been plenty of times for cinematic and fun of role playing purposes I've either had characters, or when GMing, let characters dual weild fire arms. Nothing like going all matrix on some bads with micro uzis in either hand.

I just use a -1 to strike with the dominant hand and -4 to strike with the off hand for semi-auto fire, and an extra -2 to strike doing full auto or bursts to each hand. Really, if you've got some bonuses from WPs to begin with, a -6 to strike overall isn't all that bad. That's a roll of 11 or higher strikes with no bonuses, add in a few +1s to strike from WPs and you've got hits better than 2 in 3 with your off hand and better than 3 in 4 with your dominant hand.
Shorty
D-Bee
Comment: Credo Quia Absurdum

Unread post by Shorty »

It is entirely possible to train yourself how to shoot with you offhand as well as your main hand even when doing it at the same time. Their are more than a few professional shooters who can do so now and there have been a lot more through the years, but overall they are very rare. In order to do so requires a fair bit of natural talent as well as a lot of range time to practice that talent to the point you are truly proficient at it. However the % of people who can do that is so low that the chances of being one of those people in game would be low and would basically be up to your GM as a special allowance.
Shorty,
"[A] wise and frugal government...shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government."
--Thomas Jefferson
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

I house rule a W.P. Paired-Firearms. Essentially the main benefits are the ability to fire the chosen firearm equally well with both hands, as well as a simultaneous double shot (both guns firing at a single opponent, roll once with normal bonuses), and a split shot (firing at two different targets simultaneously, roll two Strike rolls as if shooting wild). Each special shot takes only one action.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons

Return to “Dead Reign™”