Break out plan from work

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Break out plan from work

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Going with the "zombie survival plan" topics.

What happens if the outbreak occurs while you are at work? Maybe no warning like massive pandemics and a few days later people turn. Just out of the blue zombie are crawling everywhere. Or maybe just a generic "end of civlization" apocalypse survival plan if you were at work?

Me personally I'd probably be pwned since I work about 5 miles outside of downtown Baltimore and would have a long way to go to get to a truely rural area. If I could, I'd be decently well set.

I keep a blanket, sweater and hat in my car as well as multitool, flash light and spare batteries. In my filing cabinet at work I tend to have about 2 days rations and about a day's worth of bottled water. A spare pair of sneakers are also in my filing cabinet. Plus I also have a smaller multitool and flashlight on my key chain.

Its not exactly a backpakers or survivalists dream, but I'd probably be okay for a couple of days and maybe longer.

PS By rations, they aren't really rations, but I like cliff bars a lot. My lunch is generally a piece of fruit and a cliff bar. At any given time I have between 6 and 30 cliff bars in my filing cabinet. Typically on the higher end as I usually buy more and stock up when they are on sale. 240-260 calories each means 10 is a full days worth of calories. Pretty portable and sealed against the elements. I also have 3 bottles of water that I leave sealed in my desk. Those are honestly just in case bottles. I don't really drink bottled water otherwise. I also tend to have anything from 2 or 3 to a dozen or so packets of hot cocoa and also instant oatmeal for occasional snacks that I could use for extra sustinance. I have a couple of ceramic mugs I could take along for cooking with. Not ideal, but they are good quality ceramic and could certainly manage near the periphery of a fire, close enough in to boil water.
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Re: Break out plan from work

Unread post by Severus Snape »

I work in an office building near the strip in Las Vegas. If I'm in the office and not working from home, I'm screwed if there's no warning.
King Newt
Wanderer

Unread post by King Newt »

I own and operate a pizza shop. I have access to two 4x4 blazers and 5 small gas mileage vehicles, plus my rather large car if I intend to run zombies over. So I am ok with vehicles. There are at least 10 flashlights here at any given time and there is plenty of food to make my escape. My store is less than 2 miles to my youngest sons school and from there I could pick up my oldest son within 10 minutes. Depending on what time of day it is my wife has a 50/50 chance of being home since she works 12 hour days. If she is at work then the national guard armory is just down the street and if I have to pick her up anyway, why not get me a Humvee while I am going that way. If I had to pick her up then the kids would be at home since she works night. Even better I could get both in 1 swoop or my oldest could drive to us. Usually there is an extra car at home for storage since it's difficult to keep 8 vehicles at the shop and Jay would have the key for it.

Now weapons would be a bit difficult since all we have are Knives and clubs ( I have my softball gear in my trunk aluminum bats) Unless I wished to actually break into the armory I will have no access to any weapons. I have friends who have them, but all live deep in residential areas. I doubt i'd try to make my way into them for a few rifles and handguns. My dad has my .44 but again he's in a residential area and unless he's alive to give it to me then I wouldn't be able to get my pistol.

There is a gun shop near my oldest boys school, I could stop there to get some guns. My main concern would be escaping the city and finding a secluded spot.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

I work in a wear house next to a Wal-Mart. I'd bunker down, fortifying the large location's weak spots with the furniture, and use some choice items to make a living facility within the intersection of the store (separated from areas with the bay windows). Several entry / exit points gives me escape routes if needed, and none are operable from the outside. The intersection even has the bathrooms and water, even a fridge is kept back there (for employees). The near by wall mart will offer canned goods within sight of the roof, and the only major residential area is separated by a lowered highway (steep hills for zombie protection like a moat, least till they pile up).

Biggest problem is weapons, I'd have a fire axe for sure, but no firearms near, and a flare gun we happen to have kicking around that should have been given to a disposal unit a while ago, but the managers never done it so it's kinda a mascot for use at this point. Otherwise I'd be limited to common kitchen wear (cleavers, skillets), wood bludgeons (Table legs), Fire extinguishers, and the like. Perhaps a crowbar / pipe. Finding a firearm would take a high priority. There is a police station fairly close, but would take a bit to find a safe time to go several city blocks.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

warhawk wrote:I say that because at any given time the inmates out number the staff 100 to 1, if it were the slow break-down of society kind of thing that occurs over a few days, the staff might have one small hope in that as the break-down occurs and fewer and fewer staff report to duty, the remaining staff would have to place the facility under LOCK-DOWN status. This means that all inmates are to cell up (return to their cells). The cell doors are then closed and locked. The inmates are then confined to their cells until the facility is secured, and or the Admin. deems it safe to release the facility to General Population Status. Under this type of situation the staff may have a chance. However, if it is an "all of a sudden" type situation, well then,....OUHC! :twisted:

That would actually be a cool scenario to run in a game! Lots of possibilities for horror and danger!
King Newt
Wanderer

Unread post by King Newt »

warhawk wrote:With out guns, stealing a Humvee maybe a little difficult, especially since it is at a National Guard Armory. I would skip all that an just concentrate on meeting up with the fam at a predetermined location (usually home, but you need to have individual back-up locations incase you can not go home) and go from there. The simpler you make the plan the less likely you are to get side tracked or hurt needlessly.

The Humvees sit in a normal fence. Easy climb and the fence wouldn't stop the Humvee in the slightest bit. Plus it's kind of in the middle of no where. I doubt i'd try for any weapons, but I have to drive by on the way to pick up the wife.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I usually work far from home, in buildings that have their own generators, secure doors, usually no windows on ground level, and sometimes large fenced-off parking lots with barbed wire at the top.

I'd hole up there until I could find out more about what's going on, and try to make my way home.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Silveressa
Explorer

Unread post by Silveressa »

Given I work form home (freelance writing is nice that way) it's fortunately a non issue. That aside however this area of new england is rural as one can get so a local zombie apocalypse would have... Maybe 1000 people scattered over the 10 mile forested area, not too big an issue.

Then again if it happened currently in the winter (It's about -10F right now outside -30ish if you count windchill) most of the undead would be meat popsicles not long after they wandered into the frozen hell.

Kovoston wrote:That would actually be a cool scenario to run in a game! Lots of possibilities for horror and danger!

Indeed, unfortunately without a good map of the prison keeping everything organized based off description alone would be a royal pain in the butt.
"Lesbian Gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Silveressa wrote:Given I work form home (freelance writing is nice that way) it's fortunately a non issue. That aside however this area of new england is rural as one can get so a local zombie apocalypse would have... Maybe 1000 people scattered over the 10 mile forested area, not too big an issue.

Then again if it happened currently in the winter (It's about -10F right now outside -30ish if you count windchill) most of the undead would be meat popsicles not long after they wandered into the frozen hell.

Kovoston wrote:That would actually be a cool scenario to run in a game! Lots of possibilities for horror and danger!

Indeed, unfortunately without a good map of the prison keeping everything organized based off description alone would be a royal pain in the butt.

Isn't New England (or the New England area) where horror writer Stephen King wrote most of his most famous books on?
St. Evil
Explorer
Comment: Looking to start the Really Evil League of Evil, because the League of Evil wasn't evil enough.

Unread post by St. Evil »

onetodie wrote:I work on the fourth floor of cubicle hell, so if I managed to kill my co-worker zombies with office supplies, then I would get out of the building as quickly as possible, get to my car, get home, grab my stuff (quickly, guns and clothes) then try to get the hell out of dodge.

If you can make it out w/makeshift office supply weaponry, I want you on my team. ;)

Working for a small business what is on hand varies from day to day, Fortunately we have plenty of blunt hand held objects, any given time 40 gallons of water two - three days of food, a fleet of vehicles from Cargo vans to semi's usually full, and the most important thing ever a case of toilet paper (200 rolls) and a partial case on top of that one. You would be surprised on what necessities you can live w/o w/ a few luxuries. :P
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

I can imagine... Just like me taking over my ship when I was in the US Navy. Such was not covered in the book dead Reign... Military outposts and such were never mentioned either. If they were then they were small write ups.
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

onetodie wrote:
St. Evil wrote:
onetodie wrote:I work on the fourth floor of cubicle hell, so if I managed to kill my co-worker zombies with office supplies, then I would get out of the building as quickly as possible, get to my car, get home, grab my stuff (quickly, guns and clothes) then try to get the hell out of dodge.

"If you can make it out w/makeshift office supply weaponry, I want you on my team. ;) "quote St. Evil.

Cool thing, today on my walk I found one tire chain, so that just gets added to my arsenal of office equipment. :?

Considering that we have paper cutters at work...I think I could manage something suitably impressive with about 5 minutes of work if zombies started appearing everywhere.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

For me it my immediate course of actions would vary depending on where I am when it happened. My job is to drive to various locations servicing computers, so I could be in an apartment, condo, small business, large corporation, etc..

MY first actions would be to fall back on typical S.E.R.E. techniques... focusing initially on the escape and evade. as soon as I was on the road again, I would be trying to contact my wife and make my way to her. Even if I could not reach her, I would still try and make it to where she should be at that time. Regardless is she was dead, undead or alive, I/we would take her truck for its more room then my car.

Next would be trying to figure out where to go to. Probably start with listening to news stations while calling friends and family to see what the "environment" and tactical situation is in their areas.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
ingexthefuryhunter1
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by ingexthefuryhunter1 »

My Job is a double issue, depending on if I am in the towers or in the control center,

If I was in the control center I would have to say I would go into lock down, till I could formulate a plan to escape as there are multiple areas that I could be squeezed off by Zombie hordes depending on how many of the population turned.

If I was in the Tower I would pretty much exhaust the ammo from the swivel into the yard before heading out the runner door from there I would head to my house an bunker down with my wife and family.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

ingexthefuryhunter1 wrote:My Job is a double issue, depending on if I am in the towers or in the control center,

If I was in the control center I would have to say I would go into lock down, till I could formulate a plan to escape as there are multiple areas that I could be squeezed off by Zombie hordes depending on how many of the population turned.

If I was in the Tower I would pretty much exhaust the ammo from the swivel into the yard before heading out the runner door from there I would head to my house an bunker down with my wife and family.

Where do you work at?
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
ingexthefuryhunter1
Megaversal® Ambassador

NMI you already know.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

ingexthefuryhunter1 wrote:NMI you already know.

Obviously I forgot if I had to ask. :D
ingexthefuryhunter1
Megaversal® Ambassador

I work at a holding facility.
Silveressa
Explorer

Unread post by Silveressa »

Kovoston wrote:Isn't New England (or the New England area) where horror writer Stephen King wrote most of his most famous books on?

Indeed, Maine to be more Precise, although he moved around a lot during his early writing career.

There's just something about the frozen north that inspires horror novels, (and incest, and sheep shagging and, well, you get the idea.. :roll: :lol: )
"Lesbian Gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."
ingexthefuryhunter1
Megaversal® Ambassador

Silveressa wrote:
Kovoston wrote:Isn't New England (or the New England area) where horror writer Stephen King wrote most of his most famous books on?

Indeed, Maine to be more Precise, although he moved around a lot during his early writing career.

There's just something about the frozen north that inspires horror novels, (and incest, and sheep shagging and, well, you get the idea.. :roll: :lol: )

Well it be real hard to get them pretty women to stay up here in the cold lands, So bessy and me we will just keep our shearing under the covers ok" :)
Illendaver
Explorer
Comment: If your happy and you know it clap your hands!
Location: Behind the throne, Whispering my comment into the emperors ear...

Unread post by Illendaver »

Cinos wrote:I work in a wear house next to a Wal-Mart. I'd bunker down, fortifying the large location's weak spots with the furniture, and use some choice items to make a living facility within the intersection of the store (separated from areas with the bay windows). Several entry / exit points gives me escape routes if needed, and none are operable from the outside. The intersection even has the bathrooms and water, even a fridge is kept back there (for employees). The near by wall mart will offer canned goods within sight of the roof, and the only major residential area is separated by a lowered highway (steep hills for zombie protection like a moat, least till they pile up).

Biggest problem is weapons, I'd have a fire axe for sure, but no firearms near, and a flare gun we happen to have kicking around that should have been given to a disposal unit a while ago, but the managers never done it so it's kinda a mascot for use at this point. Otherwise I'd be limited to common kitchen wear (cleavers, skillets), wood bludgeons (Table legs), Fire extinguishers, and the like. Perhaps a crowbar / pipe. Finding a firearm would take a high priority. There is a police station fairly close, but would take a bit to find a safe time to go several city blocks.

Most Wal-Marts that I am aware of have a few shotguns and such in the hunting/camping section.
*McRipper said so*
Me: So, what all happened last time we played?
Friend: We went back to my place and got ROFL stomped by zombies.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Illendaver wrote:
Cinos wrote:I work in a wear house next to a Wal-Mart. I'd bunker down, fortifying the large location's weak spots with the furniture, and use some choice items to make a living facility within the intersection of the store (separated from areas with the bay windows). Several entry / exit points gives me escape routes if needed, and none are operable from the outside. The intersection even has the bathrooms and water, even a fridge is kept back there (for employees). The near by wall mart will offer canned goods within sight of the roof, and the only major residential area is separated by a lowered highway (steep hills for zombie protection like a moat, least till they pile up).

Most Wal-Marts that I am aware of have a few shotguns and such in the hunting/camping section.

Plenty to improvise into weapons as well, what with there being a lot of things that can blow up and burn really hot for turning zombies to ashes. Of course given zombies aren't shown being stronger than humans (or not by much depending on the zombie event) once you had the store's access points blocked you'd be pretty set. The only main problem being getting rid of all the deli foods that would rot as power failed before disease and things like rats got you and ensuring you had the water you needed or means of recycling it.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

I live where i work( which has a emergency stock for 8-9 people for 5 days(3meals a day), not counting the rest of the food/water or drinks in the house
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!

Return to “Dead Reign™”