Perfect Anti Zombie Gun?

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Perfect Anti Zombie Gun?

Unread post by jaymz »

I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Re: Perfect Anti Zombie Gun?

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Oh my. :eek:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Now imagine having a spedd loader clip to pop 5 shells in one action like some revolvers have now and I'll takeone of these over a traditional shotgun me thinks....
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Looks like it would be murder on your wrist.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Shawn Merrow wrote:Looks like it would be murder on your wrist.

I wonder...would be any worse than a Desert Eagle .50

Oddly enough it reminds me of the new Triax revolver using hte pump pistol rounds....

\m/
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Only 6 shots, and only 28 gauge?
I think we could do better.

Looks fun, though.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

Let's see.

Recoil that will kick your wrists like a mule.

Limited five shot capacity.

Expensive/rare/hard to find ammo.

Smaller caliber (as compared to the archtypical 12)

I'll pass, thanks.

It doesn't do anything my 500 Mossberg 12 gauge can't and has many disadvantages the 12 doesn't have.

While I'm not sure there is an ultimate anti-zombie weapon per se, this definitely is not it.

Still, wouldn't mind firing a few rounds down range for giggles.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Cybermancer wrote:Let's see.

I'll pass, thanks.

It doesn't do anything my 500 Mossberg 12 gauge can't and has many disadvantages the 12 doesn't have.

While I'm not sure there is an ultimate anti-zombie weapon per se, this definitely is not it.

My understanding is 28 gauge ammo isn't all THAT rare and isn;t a handgun easier to cart around than a full blown shotgun? Not to mention quicker to reload?

\m/
Cybermancer
Hero

jaymz wrote:

I'll pass, thanks.

My understanding is 28 gauge ammo isn't all THAT rare and isn;t a handgun easier to cart around than a full blown shotgun? Not to mention quicker to reload?

12 Gauge is MUCH more common. Much, much more common. Even 10 gauge is more common. Common is good, even if you reload your own rounds.

A pistol that size is only marginally easier to cart around. The pistol is harder to aim and fire accurately in this case. All the weight is forward of your hand. It's going to tend to drop. And then there's the kick that thing is going to produce in a small package. If you want to cut down the size of your shotgun, get the shortest barrel you're comfortable with and get a pistol grip with either a folding or telescoping scope. It's bigger, but for either weapon, you're likely firing using both hands. You'll just manage the recoil better with the shotgun.

That's anouther advantage to either a Remmington 870 or Moss 500 series. Lots of custimization options. Options are good.

Without a speed loader, you're not saving any loading time with a revolver and depending on the configuration of the shotgun (mine has six +1, some have more), you're going longer between reloads. Even with a speed loader, you're not that much faster and you're still reloading more often. Given a choice between going longer between reloads and faster reloading, I'll take going longer between reloads. Over the course of say 30 rounds, that pistol has to reload an extra time over the shotgun. Just how many speed loaders do you think you'll have, anyway?

Sorry, while that may be a fun pistol to shoot, it wouldn't be my first choice (or second, third or even tenth) to fight Zombies with.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Cybermancer wrote:
jaymz wrote:

I'll pass, thanks.

12 Gauge is MUCH more common. Much, much more common. Even 10 gauge is more common. Common is good, even if you reload your own rounds.

A pistol that size is only marginally easier to cart around. The pistol is harder to aim and fire accurately in this case. All the weight is forward of your hand. It's going to tend to drop. And then there's the kick that thing is going to produce in a small package. If you want to cut down the size of your shotgun, get the shortest barrel you're comfortable with and get a pistol grip with either a folding or telescoping scope. It's bigger, but for either weapon, you're likely firing using both hands. You'll just manage the recoil better with the shotgun.

That's anouther advantage to either a Remmington 870 or Moss 500 series. Lots of custimization options. Options are good.

Without a speed loader, you're not saving any loading time with a revolver and depending on the configuration of the shotgun (mine has six +1, some have more), you're going longer between reloads. Even with a speed loader, you're not that much faster and you're still reloading more often. Given a choice between going longer between reloads and faster reloading, I'll take going longer between reloads. Over the course of say 30 rounds, that pistol has to reload an extra time over the shotgun. Just how many speed loaders do you think you'll have, anyway?

Sorry, while that may be a fun pistol to shoot, it wouldn't be my first choice (or second, third or even tenth) to fight Zombies with.

I didn;t say it was more common, just that as I understand it 28 gauge is that rare.

Considering the range this thign qoud be effective (it hink they said with buckshot it 15ft at best) wouldn't ahnd gun still be better during an in close encounter?

\m/
Cybermancer
Hero

jaymz wrote:I didn;t say it was more common, just that as I understand it 28 gauge is that rare.

Considering the range this thign qoud be effective (it hink they said with buckshot it 15ft at best) wouldn't ahnd gun still be better during an in close encounter?

Nor did I say that you said it was more common. But the advantage goes, solidly, to the more common round.

For starters, I'm not using buckshot on zombies. I'm using slugs. I'm using them up to 50m (150+ft) away. Although I would prefer 25m (about the same as I would for a pistol of any variety). No advantage for that revolver there.

And if you're so close to the zombies that a 6 inch barrel makes a difference over an 18inch, then you should be happy to have any weapon. :P

WWVLD?
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Cybermancer wrote:
jaymz wrote:I didn;t say it was more common, just that as I understand it 28 gauge is that rare.

Nor did I say that you said it was more common. But the advantage goes, solidly, to the more common round.

For starters, I'm not using buckshot on zombies. I'm using slugs. I'm using them up to 50m (150+ft) away. Although I would prefer 25m (about the same as I would for a pistol of any variety). No advantage for that revolver there.

And if you're so close to the zombies that a 6 inch barrel makes a difference over an 18inch, then you should be happy to have any weapon. :P

Very true :)

Here use of thse instead then http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=5659 :D

\m/
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Yeah I'd say it wouldn't be a good option. 28 gauge isn't going to pack much buckshot in to each shell. Sure a solid slug is going to hit hard, but you don't have much accuracy over distance with it, less than with a 28 gauge full size shotgun I am sure.

28 guage isn't very common.

Something like a 12 gauge shotgun is good, because with a loading of OO or OOO buck, you still have a few shot pellets in the shell. Anything much smaller than OO and the pellets might not penetrate a zombie's skull very well. An OO pellet is about the size of a .33 caliber bullet though round, with maybe 50% of the energy. Drop down a couple of sizes, to like a #1 or #2 and you just don't have a lot of energy in the pellets. Probably not enough to penetrate a zombie skull except at point blank ranges. A 12 gauge shell loaded with OO buck shot has 7-9 pellets in it, a 28 gauge I think can only load 3-4 OO pellets in its shell, which doesn't give you a particularly "filling" pattern at range. 3 or 4 pellets in a 1ft cone at say 50ft doesn't give you a very high chance of a kill hit on a zombie's head. 7-9 gives you twice the chance, and statistically probably higher than that really, since you are filling the cone better.

I think the best would be something that is either magazine or drum feed 12 gauge, semiautomatic, is easy to reload, easy to operate and is low maintenance and doesn't break down easily. Preferable something with a relatively short barrel. Can't say this actually exists, but it would be my wish list.
-Matt
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

azazel1024 wrote:Yeah I'd say it wouldn't be a good option. 28 gauge isn't going to pack much buckshot in to each shell. Sure a solid slug is going to hit hard, but you don't have much accuracy over distance with it, less than with a 28 gauge full size shotgun I am sure.

28 guage isn't very common.

Something like a 12 gauge shotgun is good, because with a loading of OO or OOO buck, you still have a few shot pellets in the shell. Anything much smaller than OO and the pellets might not penetrate a zombie's skull very well. An OO pellet is about the size of a .33 caliber bullet though round, with maybe 50% of the energy. Drop down a couple of sizes, to like a #1 or #2 and you just don't have a lot of energy in the pellets. Probably not enough to penetrate a zombie skull except at point blank ranges. A 12 gauge shell loaded with OO buck shot has 7-9 pellets in it, a 28 gauge I think can only load 3-4 OO pellets in its shell, which doesn't give you a particularly "filling" pattern at range. 3 or 4 pellets in a 1ft cone at say 50ft doesn't give you a very high chance of a kill hit on a zombie's head. 7-9 gives you twice the chance, and statistically probably higher than that really, since you are filling the cone better.

I think the best would be something that is either magazine or drum feed 12 gauge, semiautomatic, is easy to reload, easy to operate and is low maintenance and doesn't break down easily. Preferable something with a relatively short barrel. Can't say this actually exists, but it would be my wish list.
-Matt

Checkou the dual tube pump action I posted above your post :D

\m/
Cybermancer
Hero

jaymz wrote:Very true :)

That looks pretty sweet. I'd love to put a couple hundred rounds down range with it and see how it handles.

WWVLD?
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Cybermancer wrote:
jaymz wrote:Very true :)

That looks pretty sweet. I'd love to put a couple hundred rounds down range with it and see how it handles.

Can we say this is a nice house to house combat weapon? :D

\m/
Cybermancer
Hero

jaymz wrote:Can we say this is a nice house to house combat weapon? :D

I give my tentative agreement with the caveat that I don't have any experience with that particular weapon or setup and would want to try it before passing final judgement.

Something about it just says, "Fire me! I'm fun!"

WWVLD?
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Cybermancer wrote:
jaymz wrote:Can we say this is a nice house to house combat weapon? :D

I give my tentative agreement with the caveat that I don't have any experience with that particular weapon or setup and would want to try it before passing final judgement.

Something about it just says, "Fire me! I'm fun!"

you got that right skippy :D

\m/
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

warhawk wrote:Wow, I would like to see this monster in action, at a firing range of course.

Which monster? The OP? The later posted Kel-Tec gun? or both?

Me I'd enjoytrying both :D

\m/
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

I dunno...I kinda like Kel-Tec KSG-14 shotgun (14 + 1 capacity!)...and it's civilian-legal!! :)
They can't see me...Right!?
dante144
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: "Jesus saves, everyone else takes damage"

Unread post by dante144 »

Actually..imho, I think a .22lr would be the best anti zombie gun. You can carry a whole bunch of those rounds and they are cheep so you can stock up.
"Jesus saves, everyone else takes damage" Girls t-shirt at Megacon
azazel1024
Champion

Something that can fire .223 and 5.56x45 interchangably would be nice. Not brushed up enough to know if such a thing exists or not (I think civilian .223 and NATO 5.556x45 are close enough that they can be chambered in the right weapon).

Source of ammo from pretty much any military base, depot, armory, etc. Plenty of police stations also. Plus you've got a fair amount of civi ammo. Ammo doesn't weigh too much, or take up too much space, and since you need to be aiming for the head on a zombie anyway, plenty of penetrating and brain mushing power available.
-Matt
Cybermancer
Hero

azazel1024 wrote:Something that can fire .223 and 5.56x45 interchangably would be nice. Not brushed up enough to know if such a thing exists or not (I think civilian .223 and NATO 5.556x45 are close enough that they can be chambered in the right weapon).

Source of ammo from pretty much any military base, depot, armory, etc. Plenty of police stations also. Plus you've got a fair amount of civi ammo. Ammo doesn't weigh too much, or take up too much space, and since you need to be aiming for the head on a zombie anyway, plenty of penetrating and brain mushing power available.
-Matt

Most (but not all) AR-15 platforms that are available on the civilian market get explody when loaded with NATO 5.56 rounds. The NATO 5.56 has a higher chamber pressure than the civilian .223 rounds. A military grade rifle can fire both types of ammo. The availability of these firearms vary based on various gun control laws and manufacturers.

WWVLD?
dante144
Dungeon Crawler

Arnie100 wrote:I dunno...I kinda like Kel-Tec KSG-14 shotgun (14 + 1 capacity!)...and it's civilian-legal!! :)

I just got acquainted with this beauty. I can't wait. I hope it is a little more affordable than the MSRP
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

jaymz wrote:http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/01/19/taurus-28-gauge-raging-judge-revolver/

My oh my...

Aaaaand you can forget about it. BATFE says it's a no-no.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
dante144
Dungeon Crawler

Mantisking wrote:
jaymz wrote:http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/01/19/taurus-28-gauge-raging-judge-revolver/

My oh my...

Not that I liked that gun, in particular, but I hate it when the Federales impede our Constitutional rights. :(
Mantisking
Hero

dante144 wrote:Not that I liked that gun, in particular, but I hate it when the Federales impede our Constitutional rights. :(

Weeeelll, there's some debate as to whether or not it was going to be made anyway.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
azazel1024
Champion

dante144 wrote:
Mantisking wrote:

My oh my...

Not that I liked that gun, in particular, but I hate it when the Federales impede our Constitutional rights. :(

To, what? Own and carry any weapon you can conceive of whenever and wherever you want?

I agree on the ability to own guns, but with restrictions and limits. Unlimited freedom does not mean greater protection.

I'd love to be able to own an M-16A4...but since I don't think I am going to be able to be the only one with a waiver to do such a thing, I'd much rather I can't own one and that no one else can either. I don't think not being able to own one makes me any less safe (and probably safer actually).
-Matt
azazel1024
Champion

Actually you can't purchase an M16A4 as they weren't manufactured before the ban on automatic weapons. Only automatic weapons manufacturered pre-ban (not just models, but actual physical weapons) can be purchased, and with the correct license. You could however buy an M16 or M16A1 (when was the A2 made? I think it was post ban around the late 80's), if you could find one around still with the exorbitant amount of money you'd need.
-Matt
Mantisking
Hero

Here's my stats for both of 'em.

Taurus Raging Judge
This is an upgraded version of Taurus' Judge pistol. Instead of .410 shotshells this fires 28 gauge shotshells.
Cartridge: 28 Gauge.
Feed: Five (5) chamber cylinder.
Weight: 4.19 pounds (1.9 kilograms).
Overall Length: 13.75 inches (34.93 centimeters).
Barrel Length: 6.5 inches (16.51 centimeters).
Muzzle Velocity: ??? fps ( ??? meters/second).
Approx. Effective Range: 100 feet (30.5 meters).
Damage: 2D6 (buckshot), 3D6 (slug).
Cost: Unknown.

Designer's Notes:
Kel-Tec KSG
This is a pump-action, bullpup shotgun that has two tube magazines. A manual switch is uses to choose between the magazines. Different types of ammunition could be loaded into each magazine increasing the tactical uses of this weapon.
Cartridge: 12 Gauge.
Feed: Two 7 round tubes (14 rounds total).
Weight: 6.9 pounds (3.13 kilograms).
Overall Length: 26.1 inches (66.29 centimeters).
Barrel Length: 18.5 inches (46.99 centimeters).
Muzzle Velocity: ??? fps ( ??? meters/second).
Approx. Effective Range: 100 feet (30.5 meters).
Damage: 4D6 (buckshot), 5D6 (slug).
Cost: $880.

Designer's Notes:
  • Most of the info is from the promotional material.
  • Once again, no Muzzle Velocity info.
  • The range is from the N&S book, which is B.S. as I've seen video of a 12 ga. slug gun hitting a target at 230 yards.
dante144
Dungeon Crawler

Actually, it is my understanding that that in many states in the USA you can own a fully automatic weapon. There is a transfer tax and you must be vetted by some sort of official, law enforcement or judicial I believe. It is very cost prohibitive and you pretty much give permission to the ATF to come check out your place at any time.

azazel1024 wrote:
dante144 wrote:
Mantisking wrote:

My oh my...

To, what? Own and carry any weapon you can conceive of whenever and wherever you want?

I agree on the ability to own guns, but with restrictions and limits. Unlimited freedom does not mean greater protection.

I'd love to be able to own an M-16A4...but since I don't think I am going to be able to be the only one with a waiver to do such a thing, I'd much rather I can't own one and that no one else can either. I don't think not being able to own one makes me any less safe (and probably safer actually).
-Matt
azazel1024
Champion

dante144 wrote:Actually, it is my understanding that that in many states in the USA you can own a fully automatic weapon. There is a transfer tax and you must be vetted by some sort of official, law enforcement or judicial I believe. It is very cost prohibitive and you pretty much give permission to the ATF to come check out your place at any time.

azazel1024 wrote:
dante144 wrote:
Mantisking wrote:

My oh my...

-Matt

Yeah, but it is basically to buy "collectors" items. You can't buy anything made after I think it is 1986 that is an automatic weapon. It requires a special license, some pretty heavy background checking (not just standard FBI check) and automatic weapons are ridiculously expensive and require some very close eyeballing on the registration of each and every one.

Much stricter than actually owning a gun.
-Matt
dante144
Dungeon Crawler

azazel1024 wrote:Yeah, but it is basically to buy "collectors" items. You can't buy anything made after I think it is 1986 that is an automatic weapon. It requires a special license, some pretty heavy background checking (not just standard FBI check) and automatic weapons are ridiculously expensive and require some very close eyeballing on the registration of each and every one.

Much stricter than actually owning a gun.
-Matt

Pretty much what I said. Although it is my understanding that it is not a license, but a transfer tax. Some state it is absolutely illegal. I am m assuming California, NY, and Illinois.
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

:roll:
With the amount of total misinformation about NFA weapons on the net by people who are talking out their butts i highly suggest people download this:

http://www.atf.gov/publications/downloa ... 5320-8.pdf

This is the latest National firearms act handbook From the ATF it will tell you what you need to know on the subject.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
dante144
Dungeon Crawler

Back to Zombie Guns..

I think a .22lr, because you can shoot that all day long with much less fatigue than a higher caliber handgun.
batlchip
Hero
Comment: Even the great thinkers and writers in history messed up sometimes.

Unread post by batlchip »

I would go with what is the two most common rounds imho.The 45 and the 9mm and while the 9 might be a little iffy on the stopping power.The 45 would have no problem blowing nice holes in zombie heads.
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.
dante144
Dungeon Crawler

7.62 is so heavy, though. Do you really want to carry a lot of that around? I mean if you are on the move that could be be a hassle. Same thing with the .45 . 9mm would be better. Not sure if you can reload the .22 but you sure could carry a lot more of it.
Cybermancer
Hero

ladyschala wrote:
Most ammo types outside of the ones above you may find, but they won't be very common. (.22 LR was not included because its not as effective as the above rounds)
For example you won't find these too often:

10 Gauge
.30-06
.50 BMG (Outside of military and collectors)
5.7x28 mm (used in FN-57 or FN-P90)
4.6x30 mm (used in MP7)
.300 Winchester (Hard to find outside of military snipers and hunters)
.357 Magnum
6.8 mm Remington (Specialized ammo, not a very popular ammo type, more powerful than 5.56 but not as good as 7.62)
.50 AE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartridge_%28firearms%29 (Common cartridges)

Pick the cartridge you want to use, then pick the gun. No point in picking a gun that uses an ammo you can't find (Good luck on using that HK G11 in a zombie apocalypse...)

Seriously? You're putting the 30-06 in the hard to find category? Nevermind that it's listed in that Wiki article under the common cartridges, it's available pretty much everywhere you can get ammo. It can kill anything in North America. There are 30-06 variants for nearly every hunting rifle going. It's popular among reloaders. It's not going to be any harder to find than .308 ammo.

One of the reasons I have a 30-06 is that the ammo is cheap and easy to find. The choice came down to .308 and a 30-06 and both had ammo that was equally accessable, available and price was comparable. The difference for me, ultimately was that the .30-06 had slightly more omf.

Wow. That just blew my mind when I saw it.

.300 Winchester isn't very hard to find either. It'll be with the 30-06 and .308 in Walmart.

WWVLD?
Mantisking
Hero

ladyschala wrote:Most ammo types outside of the ones above you may find, but they won't be very common. (.22 LR was not included because its not as effective as the above rounds)
For example you won't find these too often:

10 Gauge
.30-06
.50 BMG (Outside of military and collectors)
5.7x28 mm (used in FN-57 or FN-P90)
4.6x30 mm (used in MP7)
.300 Winchester (Hard to find outside of military snipers and hunters)
.357 Magnum
6.8 mm Remington (Specialized ammo, not a very popular ammo type, more powerful than 5.56 but not as good as 7.62)
.50 AE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartridge_%28firearms%29 (Common cartridges)

Pick the cartridge you want to use, then pick the gun. No point in picking a gun that uses an ammo you can't find (Good luck on using that HK G11 in a zombie apocalypse...)
Cybermancer wrote:Seriously? You're putting the 30-06 in the hard to find category? Nevermind that it's listed in that Wiki article under the common cartridges, it's available pretty much everywhere you can get ammo. It can kill anything in North America. There are 30-06 variants for nearly every hunting rifle going. It's popular among reloaders. It's not going to be any harder to find than .308 ammo.

One of the reasons I have a 30-06 is that the ammo is cheap and easy to find. The choice came down to .308 and a 30-06 and both had ammo that was equally accessable, available and price was comparable. The difference for me, ultimately was that the .30-06 had slightly more omf.

Wow. That just blew my mind when I saw it.

.300 Winchester isn't very hard to find either. It'll be with the 30-06 and .308 in Walmart.

Not to mention the .357 Magnum.
dante144
Dungeon Crawler

of all all the guns I shoot regularly I shoot .45 the most. It gets kinda exhausting after 100 rounds or so.
azazel1024
Champion

I know it weighs more, but why just one gun?

I'd personally have several. A 9mm (glock or baretta probably) a .45 (sorry, I just plain like the 1911) to have a couple of ammo choices for close in. I'd go with a 5.56x45 for something that'll take both .223 and 5.56 ammo and for medium distance work. I'd go with a bolt action .30-06 for longer range work. I'd consider an actual M1 Garand for the .30-06...but they were heavy rifles. Plenty of lighter weight, but still very good bolt action .30-06 out there.

I'd also consider a sawed off 12 gauge for "the stuff has hit the fan".

Its a lot of weight, but so long as you weren't always hoofing it, no big deal. Maybe 20lbs of weapons depending on specific models. Even if you were hoofing it, but not too far, it wouldn't be a big deal either.

Something breaks, jams or overheats you have a backup and gives you multiple choices for ammo.

Heck I regularly go backpacking with 45+lbs.
dante144
Dungeon Crawler

As for multiple guns....

I would go for something in the same caliber, ideally. Sticking with the .22 premise, something like a Ruger 10/22 and a a .22 pistol of some sort. Maybe a 1911 chambered for .22lr.

going with a sexier combo, they have AR15s chambered for .22lr and there are a variety of pistols too. I may want a revolver too. Less moving parts to break down.

Failing the .22lr I would probably go for a 9mm combo of the above. Not sure what kind of 9mm long gun I would use. A couple come to mind but nothing that smacks me in the face. Of course a 9mm AR15 is an option.Perhaps the Berretta Storm, I think it is called. Hmmm, something to ponder
azazel1024
Champion

That might be a good combo/option (the 9mm handgun and long gun). That said, I'd still want something chambered for an actual rifle round. Either 5.56/.223, 7.62/.308 or .30-06. Something that I can really reach out and touch a zombie with, or frankly anything.

That and sometimes its nice to be able to put a hole through a wall, and the zombie behind it. Or say shoot up the engine of a car. Yeah, I know the later is really .50 BMG work, but you don't always need an insta kill on an engine. Half a dozen rounds of either 5.56 or better yet 7.62 or .30-06 are deffinitely going to put paid to a running engine.
-Matt
dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dargo83 »

i would prefer this http://www.gods-inc.de/macavity/IsleOfS ... _EA01.html it uses 10 gauge shotgun shells. it holds 6 shells and is clip feed which is a lot faster then a cylinder. on the plus side its got a lot more of a punch then the 28 gauge.
dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dargo83 »

dude all 3 weapons are awsome just throw in the shotgun as a backup weapon and have the one that uses 12 gauge instead of the 10 gauge interchangeable with the the aa12 ammo.
dante144
Dungeon Crawler

amodernheathen wrote:I would actually not use a pistol for close range. If I am limited to a gun, I would go with a short barreled shotgun. Preferably with a heavy stock I can use as an emergency skull-smacker. I see a pistol more as a mid-range running away weapon. Something that can cover my @$$ by taking out the knees or head of anything that shambles too quickly. Probably a .45ACP for knock-back on a body shot.

sounds reasonable. might be a bear to shoot, though.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I say go tot he nearest department store/sporting goods store and pick the 2 or 3 types of ammunition you see in the biggest quantity there.

Pick 1 (or more) weapons for each. Ideally a handgun so you always have a weapon and the rest as long arms. I'd recommend manual operation weapons like pump action, lever action and revolvers for reliability and ease of maintenance.

I will say that a .22 would be great to have, but not to shoot zombies with, but for getting food, not for killing zombies.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Mantisking
Hero

Here's a Turkish gun similar to the KSG.

UTAS UTS-15
This is a pump-action, bullpup shotgun that has two tube magazines. A manual switch is uses to choose between the magazines. Different types of ammunition could be loaded into each magazine increasing the tactical uses of this weapon. Designed for military and/or police use it has an integral flashlight and laser.
Cartridge: 12 Gauge.
Feed: Two 7 round tubes (14 rounds total).
Weight: 7.2 pounds (3.27 kilograms).
Overall Length: 27.8 inches (70.61 centimeters).
Barrel Length: 18.5 inches (46.99 centimeters).
Muzzle Velocity: Unknown.
Approx. Effective Range: 114.83 feet (35 meters) (Shot) / 164.04 feet (50 meters) (Slug).
Rate of Fire: 1 (Pump-Action).
Damage: 4D6 (buckshot), 5D6 (slug).
Cost: Unknown.

Designer's Notes:
  • Most of the info is from here and here.
  • Once again, no Muzzle Velocity info.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Jefffar wrote:I say go tot he nearest department store/sporting goods store and pick the 2 or 3 types of ammunition you see in the biggest quantity there.

Pick 1 (or more) weapons for each. Ideally a handgun so you always have a weapon and the rest as long arms. I'd recommend manual operation weapons like pump action, lever action and revolvers for reliability and ease of maintenance.

I will say that a .22 would be great to have, but not to shoot zombies with, but for getting food, not for killing zombies.

Well, a .22 is going to be the ammo with the most quantity, in most places.
It wouldn't be a good gun for combat (though better than nothing), but it'd be pretty good for plinking zombies that can't get to you from where they are.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

A .22 is unlikely to do anything worthwhile to a zombie, but rabbit is good eating.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Return to “Dead Reign™”