Student's Audio Tape

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Silveressa
Explorer

Re: Student's Audio Tape

Unread post by Silveressa »

An excellent read, feels very "joe average npc," The tape would make a nice find for PC's to come across next time they visit a university in search of a friend/loved one/ family member.

One question though, what's with the ********'s in the University and Hall names? Is it Palladium's worthless word censor mangling your post or did you put it there for some other reason?
"Lesbian Gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

Looks like it is a put it where you want to story.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
strtkwr
Explorer

Unread post by strtkwr »

Excellent story.
Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

That is the call of the deep doo-doo bird. I must fly!
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

NIcely done :ok:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Nice :ok:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Silveressa
Explorer

Excellent read, although a bottle of ****? to keep stomach cramps down? The mind fills with the various four letter words that could be inferred. :lol:

It should be interesting if the poor guy tries to make some of the "items" found in the anarchists cookbook, a few of them (especially the home made explosive cocktails) will explode on creation if one follows the directions as written.

Great stuff I look forward to more! :-D
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

I actually like how he keeps the **** in the text so you can customize it your own campaigns etc :)

\m/
Silveressa
Explorer

jaymz wrote:I actually like how he keeps the **** in the text so you can customize it your own campaigns etc :)

Tbh, if I want to customize something in relation to an rpg I do it, whether there's **** in place of an item/name/location or not. I personally find it easier to have a spelled out example to use in the event I'm feeling lazy/pressed for time, or if I plan to do a quick print it out or copy/paste it into an email to my group.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Silveressa wrote:
jaymz wrote:I actually like how he keeps the **** in the text so you can customize it your own campaigns etc :)

Tbh, if I want to customize something in relation to an rpg I do it, whether there's **** in place of an item/name/location or not. I personally find it easier to have a spelled out example to use in the event I'm feeling lazy/pressed for time, or if I plan to do a quick print it out or copy/paste it into an email to my group.

Sell so far the *** have been in spots where it is obvious he expects the person reading to fillin teh blank so its all good :)

On a side note I thoroughly enjoye hte Supernatural books. Awesomeness :) :ok:

\m/
Silveressa
Explorer

Jester12 wrote:Well simply put I don't want to give away items, more so brand name items unless they are extremely common place like a soda brand is...

Um why? Is referencing Tums, Advil or Smith and Wesson wrong somehow? (as in giving them free advertising which you don't want to do for some reason?) Or is it some kind of legal B.S you're trying to avoid?

(I know that probably sounded snarky but I'm genuinely curious since this is the first time I've encountered the oddity when reading stuff like this.)
Silveressa
Explorer

Jester12 wrote:I appreciate it and you more or less hit it on the head with your second guess. In addition certain areas have other kinds of medicine they use so while Tums is common in most of America it might not be in other countries

Aye, no worries, if you've got company x just itching to sic their lawyers on you for whatever reason, there's no sense tempting them.

You also bring up a good point referencing brand names, many outside ones own country (or even area of the country) might not have a clue what you mean. One trick I found in my writings is to simply use the generic definition for a product (I.E: instead of Advil a bottle of Ibuprofen, instead of a bottle of Tums a bottle of Antacids.) to get across the idea without disrupting the flow of text for the reader.

As far as locations go, If using a real world one would be a problem I find it helps the stories smoothness just to go with a made up name (Clear Water University, Bridgetown U. etc..) to once again keep from forcing the reader to stop and fill in the blanks.
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

I can see the use of the ****** instead of regular names or made up names.
Lets say I wanted to throw this in a campaign all I'd have to do before printing it out is do a search for "*" and I could fill it in with what ever location or thing that would benefit the campaign.
It would take very little time compared to going through it until i hit a name then change it to what i needed, so in the end this does have value as a very user friendly GM play aid.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
Silveressa
Explorer

Gamer wrote:all I'd have to do before printing it out is do a search for "*" and I could fill it in with what ever location or thing that would benefit the campaign.

A solid point, and one I never really though of, and could prove handy in the future, thanks.

A nice compromise between the two idea is to add a * before or after the made up name. That way they can be easily renamed, or for those reading it for fun/too lazy/rushed to rename read through without any break in immersion.

Return to “Dead Reign™”