i wanna kill zombies too

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Silveressa
Explorer

Re: i wanna kill zombies too

Unread post by Silveressa »

By canon, there's not really any such creatures, (or borgs) in the setting. It's one of the few palladium games not to even have psychic powers. (although psychic/magic powers were mentioned in the Rifter articles they got cut from the release version for some reason.)

Consequently you may find it difficult to locate a game that allows such a powerful character. (compared to the usual Dead Reign heroes such a hero would outshine the rest of the group without much effort)

A good alternative place to look would be Night Bane or other settings where the gm has decided to throw in a zombie apocalypse to whatever extent. (I've seen a NB Campaign where the zombie apocalypse was contained to just China, giving the group a place to go for zombie mashing whenever they/the plot felt like it without derailing their main NB campaign.)
"Lesbian Gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."
Silveressa
Explorer

Compared to the average PC in DR, it's still way overpowered, and like you said, you converted it to SDC. A less "nerfy" conversion would result in a more powerful creature, on par with a NB. Even without that, there's other chars in NB that are roughly on par with an anti monster, such as their whampyrs, or some of the more powerful/offensive psychics.

In DR going by canon, you have basic only humans available as a race, nothing at all "mystical" or otherwise "powered up." Unlike System Failure, there's not even any energy weapons, or bio suits, to use to give yourself a "sci-fi" tech edge against the undead. (Which imho makes the setting more terrifying given you have to rely on brains and less powerful firearms then a "plasma or laster pistol/rifle/cannon o' doom."
BIBBI
Wanderer
Comment: "are you familiar with the chain of command? its the one I go and beat you with until you listen to me"
- Jayne

Unread post by BIBBI »

An anti-monster is no where near nightbane strong.

really, I have gm'd campaigns with night-bane guys in them as Npc's, I gave the bastards rune weapons and 100 Mdc armor, Our primary caster beat them in H2H, and as far as H2H goes our anti-monster could kick the crap out of the caster, therefore since night-bane samurai < Phoenixi < anti-monster, then night-bane samurai < anti monster... by a lot

and with regards to balancing the anti-monster, simply make a lot of tight spaces that the anti-monster can't get through, the as the rest of the group is taking the shortcut, bring down the horde on the A-M.

there's my two cents, take it or leave it
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Huh! What? There was homework???

Unread post by Trooper Jim »

Game balance is the crutch of the uncreative.
Silveressa
Explorer

Trooper Jim wrote:Game balance is the crutch of the uncreative.

I respectfully disagree. Game balance is the essence of a fun campaign.

Let's take an extreme example here: A glitter boy pilot with Glitterboy and full weapons load out from Rifts tossed into a DR campaign.

Assuming one converts the Glitterboy to sdc would this power armor/robot & pilot be at all balanced in a group with regular "core" Dead Reign characters? Would there be any easy way a gm could balance the a campaign that included such a robot without making it either over deadly for the rest of the players who are using characters/o.c.c's out of the DR book or having them feel left out/bored silly while the GB gets all the action?

One could take the example even more extreme and add in the GB as a mdc robot, in which case, balancing the campaign while keeping it fun/challenging for everyone playing would be all but impossible, no matter how creative the gm.

NO matter how fun a game may be initially, without some balance it's either so easy it becomes boring after 3-4 adventures, or so hard the chars are all dead/frustrated after 3-4 adventures.

As I see, it the GMs creativity is what makes the game balanced, and keeps the players begging for more rather then yawning over the dice rolls. So rather then the "crutch of the uncreative," I view it more as "the ideal outcome of a creative gm."

Return to “Dead Reign™”