Question about Trust/Intimidate & Charm/Impress

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Re: Question about Trust/Intimidate & Charm/Impress

Unread post by Severus Snape »

Charm/Impress and Trust/Intimidate are next to useless. At least in my experience, that is. Any game I've ever played in these have never come into play. Ever. I mean, let me see if I can succeed with a dice roll in making someone trust me. Why? Just role-play it without the dice and see what happens.
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

I have gone back as far as the Valley of the Pharoahs game, and I have never found anywhere where it is explained how to use these stats. It comes up in my games a lot. There are three possibilities as best as I can figure.

Method #1: You may add these bonuses from high M.A. or P.B. to a Seduction Skill Roll. Considering how the I.Q. bonus works, this is most likely what Kevin intended.

Method #2: You may use the stat listed as a target number. When another character tries to resist your persuasions, the must roll percentile dice under your listed bonus. Your opponent wins a tie. It is called a "bonus" because it is an extra ability above and beyond what Persuasiveness most characters get through asking -- like a backup incase the just-roleplay-it method fails.

Method #3: The GM sets a base difficulty number, from 1 to 100, depending on the situation. Roll percentile dice, add the attribute-derived bonus, and try to get over the GM's number. The defender wins a tie.

As for whether the situation should be roleplayed or rolled, that is a hot button topic. There and pros and cons to both sides of the argument, and a lot of strong feelings. About a year ago, the Accidental Survivors discussed the topic in their podcast. More recently, Sean of the DriveThruRPG Newsletter tackled the topic in his A Better Game collumn. Completely different conclussions were reached both times.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
Ronin Shinobi
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Sportsmeister and Mr.Sports of sound off, endorsed by cornholioprime

Unread post by Ronin Shinobi »

Remember reading one time, ((Can't remember book)) that you can use your attributes as a base percentage for any unskilled check and then add any bonuses to it. So if someone MA is 16 that would be the base percenstage for the roll + any bonuses they might have to add to it.
Showoff often leads to showdown
Svartalf- Shinobi, You're twisted
Mack- I'm constantly amazed at what people will put their energy into. This planet needs more predators.
Saitou Hajime- What kind of Americian are you?
Shadyslug- Good question
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

lucrada wrote:Thanks.

And do you know anywhere I could find some precise rule about charm/impress and intimidate, because they are not very much explain in the book.

it's really not as complicated as some people make it out to be.
If you have an M.A. attribute of 18, you get a Trust/Intimidate value of 50%, for example. Your character wants to get someone to trust him or be intimidated by him. If you roll 50 or lower on percentile dice, then you get the reaction you wanted. The NPC either trusts you a little better or is kind of scared of you. Either way he believes what you say and is more likely to do what you want.
Its really that simple. People do it in real life all the time.

It's not mind control, but don't ever doubt the usefulness of Trust/Intimidate or Charm/Impress. A character who is very charming or attractive can be just as effective as a character with guns and super-powers.
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

Road, isn't that a house rule? I think it works well, but I think the original poster was asking if there were any official rules.

Ronin, I haven't read that. If you say that it's there, I believe you.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

I agree with roadwarrior. That was always the impression myself and group had of these abilities, though it may not be spelled out will in the books.
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

yeah but i also agree that it should at least be explained in the rules.
Silveressa
Explorer

Unread post by Silveressa »

I've always used it as a initial reaction roll when someone meets the character for the first time, if the rolls under the % then they have an initial impression of trust or intimidation (depending on how the PC is dressed/presenting themselves) from the player, which then effects how the rest of the conversation/interaction goes.

Using it for anything more in depth sort of feels like its taking away form the interaction/role playing aspect of the scene.
Last edited by Silveressa on Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Lesbian Gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

What is role playing?
Silveressa
Explorer

Unread post by Silveressa »

MaxxSterling wrote:What is role playing?

The question everyone has a different answer to? :wink:
"Lesbian Gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."

Return to “Dead Reign™”