1st campaign questions; leaping and doors

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lando The Archmagi
D-Bee

Re: 1st campaign questions; leaping and doors

Unread post by Lando The Archmagi »

Don't have my book handy to reference it, but if you look under physical skills like Acrobatic/gymnastics and hand to hand/melee combat you'll find info on leaping/jumping. Also the doors themselves will have some sort of SDC value for their toughness. Should be some examples of materials in the rulebook, otherwise you'll have to assign them values yourself. Some occupations might give bonuses like the Extreme Sports survivor and such.
Lando The Archmagi
RPG Tournament Judge/Attendee
Dragon*Con 2010
http://www.dragoncon.org
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

I answered rule questions for awhile for the company. When I started the answer below had already been given on leaping.

1. I have found no reference to the height and length one can leap (standing still and running) if they have Supernatural P.S. (Rifts) or Superhuman Strength (Heroes Unlimited).
Answer: For humans, figure that normal untrained characters can leap 4' high and 5' long. Characters with either the acrobatics or gymnastics skills increase their distance by 2' per level of experience (Note: This is 2' for either skill; having both skills will NOT increase the distance beyond the 2'). Modifying a character's leaping distance for physical attributes (i.e. speed, strength, and/or prowess) is an option for the individual GM. If so applied, characters with Superhuman/Supernatural Strength would leap twice the normal distance (i.e. 8' high and 10' long plus 4' per level of experience).

I think it was also in a Rifter Q&A but not sure. Will look for it tomorrow and post back.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

ob1dylan wrote:Excellent! Thanks guys. I think I'm ready to get started now. I'm sure there will be more questions, but I am, thus far, blissfully ignorant of them.

Good luck on the campaign - DR is all-round awesome and it's the one Palladium game I feel very little need to tinker with.

Make sure to post up a write-up! :ok:
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Shawn Merrow wrote:I answered rule questions for awhile for the company. When I started the answer below had already been given on leaping.

1. I have found no reference to the height and length one can leap (standing still and running) if they have Supernatural P.S. (Rifts) or Superhuman Strength (Heroes Unlimited).
Answer: For humans, figure that normal untrained characters can leap 4' high and 5' long. Characters with either the acrobatics or gymnastics skills increase their distance by 2' per level of experience (Note: This is 2' for either skill; having both skills will NOT increase the distance beyond the 2'). Modifying a character's leaping distance for physical attributes (i.e. speed, strength, and/or prowess) is an option for the individual GM. If so applied, characters with Superhuman/Supernatural Strength would leap twice the normal distance (i.e. 8' high and 10' long plus 4' per level of experience).

I think it was also in a Rifter Q&A but not sure. Will look for it tomorrow and post back.

Sorry, had a headache all day and have yet to check the Rifters.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

PBs rules for height and distance for humans leaping is badly unrealistic (over estimates jumping height and under estimates jumping distance).

A more realistic formula is .6*SPD for distance in feet and .4*SPD+PS for height in inches (vertical).

Comes out to a fairly realistic number. A sprinter who can run about 20mph in a 100 meter dash should be able to long jump around 20ft or a little less (born out by what I can do). A vertical is a bit more difficult to quantify, but you still come out with a fairly realistic number with my forumla (a resonably athletic human can jump around 2ft high or a bit more, a really athletic one can jump maybe 3ft high).
-Matt
azazel1024
Champion

Part of why I came up with the formulas. I also agree that I don't really like that attributes don't have a lot bearing on things.

Frankly I think they should have some bearing on most skills. For example, any physical skill, like swimming, should rely on either PS, PP, PE or SPD or some combo there-of. You could be the most skilled swimmer ever, but if you are litterally a weakling who can barely lift their arms (PS 3) that doesn't mean a lot in a situation where you would need to make a skill roll (maybe rescuing someone, going overboard in 30ft seas, etc).

Another example is climbing, PS and PE come in to play here in a big way and PP to a lesser degree. Streetwise skills have a large elements of both IQ and MA involved. Journalism IQ and ME (takes a fair amount of mental focus to be a good writer). Etc, etc, etc.
-Matt
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

One way to involve stats more is to allow players to roll % against the relevant one if they lack a particluar skill e.g. PB for seduction, IQ for research, etc..

Also the low attribute penalties from RUE are worth checking out.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
azazel1024
Champion

sHaka wrote:One way to involve stats more is to allow players to roll % against the relevant one if they lack a particluar skill e.g. PB for seduction, IQ for research, etc..

Also the low attribute penalties from RUE are worth checking out.

There are?

Well that's good. Bought time they added in some penalties.

Honestly I just think bonuses and penalties need to start a lot sooner.

For example, PS I think for every point above 10 you should get +1 to damage, every point below 10 -1 to damage. PE, for every 3 points above 10 you get +1 to save vs. poisons, for every 3 points below -1. Etc.
-Matt
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

GL with your first DR game!
our first was a blast, also about survivng the wave as a basic premise, and the group started out at disneyworld! woot :)
remember: Story > Rules
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

I'd just follow the book rules for the bites, if it's taken care of, then no big deal... But I'd definetly screw with their mind a lot until they figure out otherwise.
Tearstone
Adventurer

Unread post by Tearstone »

azazel1024 wrote:PBs rules for height and distance for humans leaping is badly unrealistic (over estimates jumping height and under estimates jumping distance).

A more realistic formula is .6*SPD for distance in feet and .4*SPD+PS for height in inches (vertical).

Comes out to a fairly realistic number. A sprinter who can run about 20mph in a 100 meter dash should be able to long jump around 20ft or a little less (born out by what I can do). A vertical is a bit more difficult to quantify, but you still come out with a fairly realistic number with my forumla (a resonably athletic human can jump around 2ft high or a bit more, a really athletic one can jump maybe 3ft high).
-Matt

Really? Then how is it that parkour people and martial artists can leap over cars, without wires, without stuntwork, and they're not even considered world-class athletes?

If I quote you, you will get spell-checked.
Silveressa
Explorer

Unread post by Silveressa »

Tearstone wrote:Really? Then how is it that parkour people and martial artists can leap over cars, without wires, without stuntwork, and they're not even considered world-class athletes?

They are the exception to the rule, much like basketball players. The Joe/Jane average can't even come close to this level of performance. As was stated:
(a reasonably athletic human can jump around 2ft high or a bit more, a really athletic one can jump maybe 3ft high.)

The level of capability you describe surpasses "really athletic" and enters the "professional Athlete" level of skill; something few "everyday" people ever achieve.
"Lesbian Gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."
Tearstone
Adventurer

Unread post by Tearstone »

Silveressa wrote:
Tearstone wrote:Really? Then how is it that parkour people and martial artists can leap over cars, without wires, without stuntwork, and they're not even considered world-class athletes?

They are the exception to the rule, much like basketball players. The Joe/Jane average can't even come close to this level of performance. As was stated:
(a reasonably athletic human can jump around 2ft high or a bit more, a really athletic one can jump maybe 3ft high.)

The level of capability you describe surpasses "really athletic" and enters the "professional Athlete" level of skill; something few "everyday" people ever achieve.

Perhaps. I'll have to test the theory. When I was studying Tae Kwon Do, and then later Katsujin-ryu karate I was able to leap higher and farther, but that was also for a flying side-kick. It's been a while now, and I've had my knee hyper-extended and stuff. Will get back to y'all on the results.

If I quote you, you will get spell-checked.
azazel1024
Champion

Tearstone wrote:
azazel1024 wrote:PBs rules for height and distance for humans leaping is badly unrealistic (over estimates jumping height and under estimates jumping distance).

-Matt

Really? Then how is it that parkour people and martial artists can leap over cars, without wires, without stuntwork, and they're not even considered world-class athletes?

You noticed how I said straight vertical? I've never seen anyone, ANYONE with the vertical necessary to jump straight up and over a car. Notice that they tuck up legs, bend backwards over, etc? That isn't true vertical. Vertical is measured from jumping stright up with body and legs completely vertical...and the distance from the bottom of your feet to the ground.

Crap doodle, I can clear a 6ft bar in the high jump, but my vertical is only a bit over 2ft. A lowish car I could jump over (A Miata deffinitely). Hell, hurdles are around 3ft high, and that isn't even jumping, that is running, and I can do them day in day out, dozens of them in a row (I used to do 110 hurdles in track and field in HS).

The highest EVER vertical leap recorded was 61" Kadour Ziani, which is an astounding 5ft high!

The record in the high jump is a hair over 8ft high set in 1993.

So that'll give you an idea of just how high a human can leap at the edge of human capability.

29.4ft is the world record long jump (non-wind aided), to give an idea of the furthest possible jump.
-Matt

Return to “Dead Reign™”